Towing an Oliver 2 with a F150 V8 2WD

Imelda

Having driven the F150 V8 5.0 pulling the LE 1 and now pulling the LE 2 with a F250 6.7 I can honestly say there is no comparison between the two and the overall reduction in driving stress with the diesel 6.7 has been a big win for us.   Our F150 pulled  the lighter LE 1 trailer fine and got between 13 and 17 mpg with varying hills and/or head winds.   The best number we got was when driving the Natchez Trace Parkway (50 mph and no stop signs for hundreds of miles) during our last trip home from the Oliver factory.  So far, we have put about 10K miles on the F250 pulling the LE2 trailer and have been averaging around 16-17 mpg  going speed limit speeds on our trip back to Texas from Oregon and a couple of trips to Colorado.  The biggest win for me along with the additional torque the diesel engine provides is the awesome range we get with the larger fuel tank and higher fuel mileage (over 600 miles).   I have only had to fill up the DEF two times since purchasing the truck about 12K miles ago given that the DEF was low when purchased.   We have offset some of the fuel costs via our fuel discounts we get via the OpenRoads program, Good Sams and the Bucee's 5% fuel discount for local purchases as we have 6 locations near us.    Overall, I would say we use about the same as we did using our F150 to pull the LE1 as we currently do pulling the LE2 with the F250 from a cost basis.   One additional lesson we learned during our trip to the Grand Canyon in the F150/LE1 was that the 5.0 engines does not like the lower octane fuels sold in AZ as their normal grade.  As a result of excessive engine knocks, we had to purchase the premium or mid-grade to keep the engine knocks down to a minimum.  

If I had to purchase another Truck today I would definitely go with the Diesel 6.7 as it has been flawless for us.   In addition, the exhaust break on the F250 has been wonderful when going down those steep grades in the mountains as well.   From all my reading tho, you need to stay on top of having the oil changes done regularly as well as the fuel filters changed about every 10-15k miles.

• Like 3

2020 F250 Lariat Supercrew 6.7 Diesel 4x4

2020 Oliver Legacy Elite I  *   Hull #664 (April 2, 2022 Incident)

2017 Oliver Legacy Elite II * Hull #293 (Purchased Used April 16, 2022)

Located SE Texas Region

ABBCYTAKAZARCACOIDLAMSMTNVNMORSDTNTXUTWA

6 hours ago, QuestionMark said:

along with the additional torque the diesel engine provides

I agree. I love the torque provided by a Diesel engine. I would be very reluctant to to lose that power. It makes steep mountain passes a breeze. The torque becomes even more valuable exploring North America’s backroads. 

Kirk

• Like 4

Kirk and Carrie Peterson

Twin Falls, Idaho

2018 Ram 3500, with overland conversion: Rooftop tent, water, stove, Battle Born batteries, lockers, onboard air, raised air intake, Warn winch. 

2023 Elite 2, twin beds, delivered December 5, 2022 Truma package, lithium platinum package.
Hull #1305

• 2 months later...

Hi, all. It's been a while since I have been on the forum. I wanted to give an update. I did replace my F250 6.7L diesel with a Nissan Titan V8. My Ford was starting to have problems like the fuel pump going out and even Ford recommended I trade it in -- so I got the Titan. I just got back from Roan Mountain etc. in Tennessee about 2000 miles hauling round trip. The Titan pulled my Oliver2 like a champ. I do not have the Andersen hitch setup on the trailer as I previously didn't need it with the diesel truck and on I30 and I40 through Texas, Arkansas and Tennessee with the big semi passing at 75mph and I didn't see any signs of swaying. Of course we were driving mostly in the right lane at 70mph or less. So I am on the fence about adding an Andersen Hitch to my trailer. I looked at a OL2 with an Andersen camped near us and it's doesn't look like a big deal to add it but I have heard that if the sway control is not on correctly it can become more dangerous with it on. I did talk to the Nissan Service and while in the Nissan manual it recommends sway control and leveling if towing  over 5000lbs they told me if I kept the tanks empty and the trailer close to the dry weight when hauling and weight distributed evenly throughout the trailer (which I believe it is in the case with the Oliver), Nissan didn't think I needed the sway control. My next trip out is April 2023 so I have a while to ponder what best to do.       

• Wow 1

1 hour ago, Imelda said:

I did talk to the Nissan Service and while in the Nissan manual it recommends sway control and leveling if towing  over 5000lbs they told me if I kept the tanks empty and the trailer close to the dry weight when hauling and weight distributed evenly throughout the trailer (which I believe it is in the case with the Oliver), Nissan didn't think I needed the sway control.

Does the owners manual "recommend" or "require" a weight distributing hitch when towing over 5000 lbs.?  There is a critical difference between those two words.

Good luck proving that "Nissan didn't think I needed sway control" in court if your owners manual says differently.

• Like 2

Hull #1291

Central Idaho

2022 Elite II

Tow Vehicle:  2019 Tundra Double Cab 4x4, 5.7L with tow package

ARCOIDNMOKORTNTXUTsm.jpg

The Nissan Manual says weight distributing hitch is recommended for towing over 5000lbs but then it has a disclaimer that if you don't have the right type of weight distributing hitch installed or installed incorrectly then you can have serious problems with the surge brakes. I am going into the Nissan service next week (for a recall) so I will talk to them some more. As I said I am on the fence here as to adding an Andersen hitch, it doesn't look to hard to install but I am concerned that if it's not the right one for the Titan or I don't have it set up correctly I could be in worse shape. 

Imelda your Oliver has electric brakes, NOT surge brakes:

58672D60-69D6-4044-B226-0B2966B6D44A.png.9b414c21b2ebcc7a098b396d294ebdde.png

https://torkliftcentral.com/blogs/2015/08/17/surge-vs-electric-trailer-brakes/

John Davies

Spokane WA

SOLD 07/23 "Mouse":  2017 Legacy Elite II Two Beds, Hull Number 218, See my HOW TO threads: https://olivertraveltrailers.com/topic/john-e-davies-how-to-threads-and-tech-articles-links/

Tow Vehicle: 2013 Land Cruiser 200, 32” LT tires, airbags, Safari snorkel, Maggiolina Grand Tour 360 Carbon RTT.

Thank you all. I am taking all good advice I have been given and I am ordering the Andersen hitch (currently on sale) at camping world. I believe this is the one I saw on an Oliver. Can someone confirm this is the right one before I purchase?

https://www.campingworld.com/andersen-hitches-weight-distribution-hitch-4-drop-rise-133946.html?utm_source=google&utm_medium=ppc&utm_campaign={Campaign}&gclid=CjwKCAjw8JKbBhBYEiwAs3sxN_swK0-DWOO1nkSLi6t__q0Lc_JIKQAc2_Itxouk9aO7kVPFo5wELBoC2JYQAvD_BwE&gclsrc=aw.ds

That is a 4" drop/rise version.  It works for most, but not all, tow vehicles.

It is also the 2-5/16" ball version.  2" ball is more common.  Oliver installs a 2" coupler unless you upgrade to the 2-5/16".  If your coupler is 2", you must get the 2" ball version.

How much drop or rise you need depends on the height of the receiver on your tow vehicle.  There is a good set of instructions for measuring on the Andersen website.  Check that out, do the measurements and you will know which drop/rise you need.

• Thanks 1

Hull #1291

Central Idaho

2022 Elite II

Tow Vehicle:  2019 Tundra Double Cab 4x4, 5.7L with tow package

ARCOIDNMOKORTNTXUTsm.jpg

• Moderators
12 hours ago, Rivernerd said:

Check that out, do the measurements

Also, be prepared to purchase and install additional chain since most (if not all) Andersen's require longer chains than come standard.

Bill 

• Like 1

2023 Ford F150 Lariat 3.5EB FX4 Max Towing, Max Payload, 2016 Oliver Elite II - Hull #117 "Twist"