Tire pressure

John C Marsh Jr

43 minutes ago, John C Marsh Jr said:

What is the optimum summer tire pressure for an E-2 with cooper tires?  I’ve been maintaining 80 cold   

42 to 45 psi. 50 at the very most.

80 psi is the maximum that the tire can take, it is not at all appropriate for a little trailer; running double the ideal inflation pressure will beat up the frame, hull and your personal belongings😳 Have you been finding stuff shaken up, rearranged, and or lying on the floor? Does your television fall down?  BTW, Did you ever get a tire inflator? You started a thread asking about it and sort of dropped out.

John Davies

Spokane WA

• Like 12

SOLD 07/23 "Mouse":  2017 Legacy Elite II Two Beds, Hull Number 218, See my HOW TO threads: https://olivertraveltrailers.com/topic/john-e-davies-how-to-threads-and-tech-articles-links/

Tow Vehicle: 2013 Land Cruiser 200, 32” LT tires, airbags, Safari snorkel, Maggiolina Grand Tour 360 Carbon RTT.

We keep our Oli EII @ 55psi also. For a couple  reasons.

1. I have calculated the weight for the Oliver while towing, the tongue weight, and the weight on both my front and rear axles of the truck with everything fully loaded for towing.

2. The truck uses the same psi and all I have to remember is 55 psi for all the tires.

3. I figure that at 55 psi it’s a little high for the Oliver but it allows that if one tire goes bad the other three tires still have enough strength to carry the load. If I remember correctly I did the calculations for 6500 trailer weight. Not that I am planning on driving on three tires on the Ollie I just wanted that extra safety factor so by the time I found out that a tired gone bad I’d still have time to get it parked over on the side of the road and maybe limp it to someplace where I could change it without getting someone hurt

• Like 8

Early 1999 Ford F250 SD 7.3L Diesel 

2020 Elite II Twin -  Hull # 648

• 10 months later...

I took my Oliver in for service at the highest recommended local place (I'm so far from Oliver).... and when I got home I found that they had inflated the tires to the max. 

This is just a reminder to check the pressures, if you've had your Oliver serviced 'elsewhere'. 

• Thanks 1
  • Like 8
  • Wow 1

Oliver Elite II Twin (delivered 3/28/2022)   Tow Vehicle: Chevy Silverado 2500HD diesel "Estrella"

ALARCOFLGAIAKSKYMONENDOKSDTNWYDDDDDDmed.

• Moderators
1 hour ago, Boudicca908 said:

This is just a reminder to check the pressures, if you've had your Oliver serviced 'elsewhere'. 

Also, a TPMS will let you know right away what your pressures are!

• Like 8

Texas Hill Country | 2016 Elite II #135 | 2020 Ram 2500 6.7L

ALAZARCACOFLGAIDILKSKYLAMDMSMOMTNENVNMNYNCNDOHOKSCSDTNTXUTVAWVWYsm.jpgALAZARCACOCTDEFLGAIDILINIAKSKYLAMEMDMAMS

• Moderators
4 hours ago, Boudicca908 said:

I took my Oliver in for service at the highest recommended local place (I'm so far from Oliver).... and when I got home I found that they had inflated the tires to the max. 

I got tires on my truck at Walmart a few years ago. Their rules were inflate to max. (I asked.) I "fixed" that myself. Truck rode  like a lumber wagon til I got home, where i have a big compressorand gauges. Glad it was only a few miles.

Great reminder. Thanks!

• Like 3
  • Wow 1

2008 Ram 1500 4 × 4

2008 Oliver Elite, Hull #12

Florida and Western North Carolina, or wherever the truck goes....

400 watts solar. DC compressor fridge. No inverter. 2 x 105 ah agm batteries .  Life is good.

Timely topic, just went through this on both my TV (F150) and the Elite II. Had Les Schwab install the Vredestein LT Pinza AT's on both units but here's the odd part. They insisted on keeping the PSI on truck the same as the door sticker which was 35 front and rear but a week later when they installed the same tire on our Oliver they ran them at 80 PSI. WTF, go figure. I am currently running the truck at 45 PSI and Oliver also at 45 PSI. There just isn't enough load within the Oliver to run them at a higher PSI IMO. 

Also worth pointing out, after getting both sets of tires installed I also ordered a TPMS. Initially installed them on the truck,  took a 60 + mile drive on the interstate and while it was a mild day 70's for temps at no time did the PSI increase more than 5 points. Consistently the tires on the side that faced the sun ran 1-2 PSI higher than the shady side. Granted I was not carrying a load and it was not hot temps but thought it to be a fairly good indicator of adequate PSI for the truck. 

For those who would like to delve into this more can't recommend the following link enough: https://tirepressure.com Lots of excellent information, calculators etc on this website regarding tire pressure for all vehicles and types of tires.

• Thanks 5
  • Like 5

Legacy Elite II #70

Everyone needs to pull up their particular tire specs sheet, you know, the one with the inflation chart to weight load chart, and follow the manufacturer's recommendations.  Everyone saying they run between 45 and 55 lbs are doing it right.  It dumbfounds me how Oliver AND even tire shops are maxing out the tire pressures on a TT, but yet not the tow vehicle.  Like @routlaw indicated, how the heck does their logic work?  LOL

I have brand new Michelin Agilis CrossClimate #72022 (225/75R16) and I run them now at around 48 to 50 PSI.  (I'm conflicted between 45, which is still well above what I'm hauling, and the traditional 55 PSI).  LOL. So I chose 48-50 PSI.  It might be me, but I felt like it towed just a tad better just below 50 PSI,  but again, I still do not have the Dexter EZ Flex suspension upgrade installed. Maybe this Fall I'll get time to put them on along with new break assemblies. 

• Thanks 1
  • Like 6

Chris
2016 Legacy Elite II  o--o  Hull #110 o--o  Wayfinder  o--o  Twin Bed  o--o  2020 RAM 1500 Limited 5.7L 
Augusta, Georgia

1 hour ago, Wayfinder said:

Everyone needs to pull up their particular tire specs sheet, you know, the one with the inflation chart to weight load chart, and follow the manufacturer's recommendations.  Everyone saying they run between 45 and 55 lbs are doing it right.  It dumbfounds me how Oliver AND even tire shops are maxing out the tire pressures on a TT, but yet not the tow vehicle.  Like @routlaw indicated, how the heck does their logic work?  LOL

I have brand new Michelin Agilis CrossClimate #72022 (225/75R16) and I run them now at around 48 to 50 PSI.  (I'm conflicted between 45, which is still well above what I'm hauling, and the traditional 55 PSI).  LOL. So I chose 48-50 PSI.  It might be me, but I felt like it towed just a tad better just below 50 PSI,  but again, I still do not have the Dexter EZ Flex suspension upgrade installed. Maybe this Fall I'll get time to put them on along with new break assemblies. 

The OE II has tires rated for 2040 (8,160 for four tires) each at 65 PSI.  The trailer is 5,000 dry.  Loaded maybe you get up over 6,000 pounds.  Max is 7,000, right?

At 7,000 (85% tire load capacity) pounds would be 55 PSI (85% of 65 PSI).

6,000 would be 50 PSI.

We are saying the same thing.

I take my old Jeep in for service and the guy airs my tires up to 80 PSI when my Jeep only weighs 3,000 pounds.  Rough ride!

• Like 3

2023 Legacy Elite II - Twin Bed - Hull #1423

TV - 2015 Silverado 2500 Duramax 4x4

2 minutes ago, HDRider said:

The OE II has tires rated for 2040 (8,160 for four tires) each at 65 PSI.  The trailer is 5,000 dry.  Loaded maybe you get up over 6,000 pounds.  Max is 7,000, right?

At 7,000 (85% tire load capacity) pounds would be 55 PSI (85% of 65 PSI).

6,000 would be 50 PSI.

We are saying the same thing.

I take my old Jeep in for service and the guy airs my tires up to 80 PSI when my Jeep only weighs 3,000 pounds.  Rough ride!

Thanks to all for the examples of calculations -- 

We have to be mindful that some people's Olivers might have different tires (am I right, that they had to switch during tight supply chain issues?).... 

• Like 4

Oliver Elite II Twin (delivered 3/28/2022)   Tow Vehicle: Chevy Silverado 2500HD diesel "Estrella"

ALARCOFLGAIAKSKYMONENDOKSDTNWYDDDDDDmed.

4 minutes ago, Boudicca908 said:

We have to be mindful that some people's Olivers might have different tires

Yes we have 15” Goodyear Endurance on our 2023.

• Like 5

2023 Elite II, Hull# 1386, Lithium Platinum Package (640AH, 400W Solar, 3000W Xantrex Inverter)
Truma water heater & AC

TV: 2024 Silverado 2500HD 6.6L 10-Speed Allison

6 hours ago, Wayfinder said:

It dumbfounds me how Oliver AND even tire shops are maxing out the tire pressures on a TT, but yet not the tow vehicle.  Like @routlaw indicated, how the heck does their logic work?  LOL

I never trust the tire shops. I re-torque the lug nuts after everytime they do tires work. I also recheck pressures.  I have had lugs stripped out from over torque.  I have lost a custom lug nuts at $18 a piece because they didn't even torque them.  Over inflation on my TV and TT tires are the norm. Most times they inflate the cars just fine.

• Like 5

• Moderators
11 hours ago, 2008RN said:

I never trust the tire shops.

What's to not trust?

A green 18 years old kid entrusted with a lug wrench - what could go wrong?😆

Bill

• Like 2
  • Haha 7

2023 Ford F150 Lariat 3.5EB FX4 Max Towing, Max Payload, 2016 Oliver Elite II - Hull #117 "Twist"

3 hours ago, topgun2 said:

What's to not trust?

A green 18 years old kid entrusted with a lug wrench - what could go wrong?😆

Bill

Strong backs, and untrained minds

• Moderators

That's why we take our trailers to a local,  sole proprietor shop for tires. He does lots of trailers, every year. 

Prices are fair. Work is excellent.  I trust his recommendations.  

Another smaller independent shop for brakes, etc. Same deal. Same recommendation.

2008 Ram 1500 4 × 4

2008 Oliver Elite, Hull #12

Florida and Western North Carolina, or wherever the truck goes....

400 watts solar. DC compressor fridge. No inverter. 2 x 105 ah agm batteries .  Life is good.

• 2 months later...

Just got back from a 2,000 loop around the west (California to Nevada to Idaho to Montana to Washington and then back home). I've had my Ollie for about two years and first ran the tires at 65 psi for the first year. Then in the second year, I ran them at about 60 psi. On this trip I ran them at about 55 psi. I've not noticed a change in mileage or handling or wheel temps (100 to 120 degrees) or anything in this unorganized and unscientific test. So, I think I'll keep them at 55 from now on. Oh, and for those interested I averaged 15-16 mpg on this trip. 

• Thanks 1
  • Like 1

2021 Elite II #841, 2020 GMC Sierra 1500 AT4, 3.0 diesel

On 9/25/2023 at 9:57 AM, Cameron said:

So, I think I'll keep them at 55 from now on. Oh, and for those interested I averaged 15-16 mpg on this trip. 

We run our Coopers at 50psi cold - nary a problem with items, components, or fixtures inside.  But we're ALL envious of the 15-16mpg, that's amazing!  I'm happy as a clam with 13.5 in the Rockies!

spacer.png

Art, Diane, Oscar & Magnus (double-Aaarrf!)

• 2022 TUNDRA w/Airlift Load Lifter 5000 kit/2017 LE II; Hull #226 "Casablanca", 12VDC Starlink kit, 3x Battle Borns; Victron Cerbo GX, SmartShunt, MPPT Solar Controller, & DC-DC Charger; HAM call-sign:  W0ABX