Favorite Camping Accessories.

Katjo

30 minutes ago, Katjo said:

What do you use to keep mosquitos away?

I almost never get bit, and if I do, I, the bites only itch overnight. If Deb gets bit, hers lasts days or even a week. We use citronella candles, and Cutters or Off pump spray.

But on the last two outings, we both got clobbered! I must have had 20-30 bites on each leg, and I had what looked like a rash for at least a week. So when we got home, I ordered a slew of things, including the Thermacell linked above, along with the three refill pack, a pack of 100 cheap citronella sticks, and a pack of 36 better rated citronella sticks that last 2.5 hours each. And, two tubes of After-Bite, as ours must be 20 years old.

If that doesn't work, I'm staying inside! 🙂

• Like 2

-----
Steve - Northern Ohio, USA
Wandering around on occasion, always lost.
2021 Toyota Land Cruiser - 2023 Oliver Elite II Twin Hull #1360 “Curiosity”
Facebook - Instagram

Camped in Curiosity = Green —— Visited with Curiosity = Gray

map.jpg

@Steve and Deb Ugh, I hate those little buggers! I find the Thermacell works quite well, I carry  Picaridin in the camper lotion and spray but I haven’t needed it with the Thermacells. I also use Johnson and Johnson Aloe Vera Lotion, someone recommended that in a camping group and it seems to work.🤷🏻‍♀️

E24325A5-8742-4333-9AFE-4E55D128DF23.jpeg

• Like 1

2021 Dodge Ram 1500 

2021 Oliver Elite ll 

Hull #732 

Michigan 

• Moderators

Thin long pants, long sleeves. Spray my clothes, not my skin. Organic herbal repellents, as i can. A small fan works under normal conditions.  

Summer in the Tundra, not so much. Head  fly screen. 

I like alcohol wipes to relieve itxh. Or children's antiitch.  I have this in both trucks, and trailer first aid kit.

Screenshot_20220829-164455_Chrome.jpg

• Like 3

2008 Ram 1500 4 × 4

2008 Oliver Elite, Hull #12

Florida and Western North Carolina, or wherever the truck goes....

400 watts solar. DC compressor fridge. No inverter. 2 x 105 ah agm batteries .  Life is good.

I’m going to try the Benadryl cooling gel, I get chronic hives so I’m always willing to try a different anti itch product. Thanks for the recommendation! 

• Like 1

2021 Dodge Ram 1500 

2021 Oliver Elite ll 

Hull #732 

Michigan 

• Moderators

I hope it works for you. I used to buy it under the bandaid label. No longer available.  Same ingredients,  so maybe benadryl bought them out.. idk. Works great for us for insect bites.

For hives, which I get every two or three years, I use a generic spray benadryl, like wal dryl from Walgreens. I sympathize.  I have no idea where my hives come from. Very random. When I was a kid, my mom used cuticura soap on my hives, then calamine lotion. That worked, too. More frequent,  then. Every summer.

Cuticura also makes an ointment,  which i haven't tried, but I plan to order it. (Maybe my mom did. I don't remember. ) Moisturizing plus phenol. 

Everyone has a different body chemistry,  so things work differently. 

But, the benadryl children  has worked great for at least 10 of us for bites.

• Like 1

2008 Ram 1500 4 × 4

400 watts solar. DC compressor fridge. No inverter. 2 x 105 ah agm batteries .  Life is good.

@SeaDawg  I have a prescription  (corticosteroid ointment) for my hives but I don’t like to use that unless they are really bad. 

I use Young Living essential oils and this Itch Be Gone Spray recipe has been what’s worked the best for me.
I make up spray bottles of it and little roll on bottles that I carry in my purse. 

AB93F2AD-DF48-4C42-8A21-0A3A254E914D.jpeg

• Like 2

2021 Dodge Ram 1500 

2021 Oliver Elite ll 

Hull #732 

Michigan 

• Moderators

My sister uses a lot of young living products,  as well. She gave me a knee balm roller ,which is amazing, for  my trick knee.

I, too, try to avoid the steroids, as much as possible. 

• Like 2

2008 Ram 1500 4 × 4

1 hour ago, SeaDawg said:

My sister uses a lot of young living products,  as well. She gave me a knee balm roller ,which is amazing, for  my trick knee.

I, too, try to avoid the steroids, as much as possible. 

Their oils are great. They have been very helpful to me for a slew of natural remedies. Nice to hear your good results using them for your knee. 

• Like 2

2021 Dodge Ram 1500 

2021 Oliver Elite ll 

Hull #732 

Michigan 

• 2 weeks later...

I love the CGI compact outdoor table-comes in 2 sizes, I have both. These are very light weight, compact aluminum folding tables, very sturdy. Available Amazon.  I place one outside the Ollie door and one in the clam. On the table by the door it is so useful for placing objects down either entering or exiting Ollie. Sometimes I'll put my coffee maker on it at night, then I can make coffee without disturbing husband in the morning. The tables fold up very small for transport. Bought about 2 years ago-I think they will last a long time.

• Thanks 1
  • Like 2

• Moderators

@Kathy Tewart, is this the table you mentioned? If so, I think that's just great. I love the telescoping legs! So versatile.  I like to do cooking prep and dishes outside, and longer legs on the table would really help the back.

We have two similar aluminum tables purchased from Walmart in 2008, but no telescoping leg. GCI makes great products,, so no doubt yours will last a long time. 15 seasons on our WM tables,  usually 100 to 150 days of camping.

20220915_145722.jpg

Screenshot_20220915-150556_Chrome.jpg

• Like 2

2008 Ram 1500 4 × 4

57 minutes ago, SeaDawg said:

@Kathy Tewart, is this the table you mentioned? If so, I think that's just great. I love the telescoping legs! So versatile.  I like to do cooking prep and dishes outside, and longer legs on the table would really help the back.

We have two similar aluminum tables purchased from Walmart in 2008, but no telescoping leg. GCI makes great products,, so no doubt yours will last a long time. 15 seasons on our WM tables,  usually 100 to 150 days of camping.

20220915_145722.jpg

Screenshot_20220915-150556_Chrome.jpg

Yes that's the one, have both sizes.  When I wash dishes outside I set one up by the outside shower-so handy

• Thanks 1
  • Like 1

• Moderators

Kathy, the top slats are aluminum, too, right? I'm going to look at the larger one for our gear. Thanks so much.

We've found our little tables to be so versatile.  They're in use every camping day. 

2008 Ram 1500 4 × 4

2 hours ago, Kathy Tewart said:

I love the CGI compact outdoor table-comes in 2 sizes, I have both. These are very light weight, compact aluminum folding tables, very sturdy. Available Amazon.  I place one outside the Ollie door and one in the clam. On the table by the door it is so useful for placing objects down either entering or exiting Ollie. Sometimes I'll put my coffee maker on it at night, then I can make coffee without disturbing husband in the morning. The tables fold up very small for transport. Bought about 2 years ago-I think they will last a long time.

Sounds great!👍🏼

2021 Dodge Ram 1500 

2021 Oliver Elite ll 

Hull #732 

Michigan 

On 9/15/2022 at 4:05 PM, SeaDawg said:

Kathy, the top slats are aluminum, too, right? I'm going to look at the larger one for our gear. Thanks so much.

We've found our little tables to be so versatile.  They're in use every camping day. 

Yes all aluminum

• Thanks 1

Just had to share these adorable gifts collapsible tote bag and garden flag I received today (it’s my birthday today🎂🎉😜) Adding them to my “favorite camping accessories” list!! 

7BE467B9-0C58-454B-B550-1955C43BB9EC.jpeg

• Like 2

2021 Dodge Ram 1500 

2021 Oliver Elite ll 

Hull #732 

Michigan 

• Moderators

Happy birthday! 🎂🥂🎂🌺

• Love 1

2008 Ram 1500 4 × 4

On 9/18/2022 at 1:29 PM, Katjo said:

it’s my birthday today

Me too! September 18, 1953. Happy belated birthday! (We were camping in PA with zero cellular service (wonderful!!!) or we could have celebrated together.

We use the GCI Pico chairs which are similar but without the table. The best selling point of the Pico is that is fold super compact while still having a normal seat height. Folded, in its bag it is smaller than a brief case! This is important in our 5X8 squaredrop, and I expect storage to be at a premium with the Oliver when it arrives.

https://gcioutdoor.com/products/pico-arm-chair-telescoping-directors-chair

The GCI Compact Camp Table 25 is just the right height to be a dining table with them, and we have a no-name lower table to use as a side table around the fire pit.

https://gcioutdoor.com/collections/tables/products/compact-camp-table-25

• Like 2

-----
Steve - Northern Ohio, USA
Wandering around on occasion, always lost.
2021 Toyota Land Cruiser - 2023 Oliver Elite II Twin Hull #1360 “Curiosity”
Facebook - Instagram

Camped in Curiosity = Green —— Visited with Curiosity = Gray

map.jpg

38 minutes ago, Steve and Deb said:

Me too! September 18, 1953. Happy belated birthday! (We were camping in PA with zero cellular service (wonderful!!!) or we could have celebrated together.

We use the GCI Pico chairs which are similar but without the table. The best selling oint of the Pico is that is fold super compact while still having a normal seat height. Folded, in its bag it is smaller than a brief case! This is important in our 5X8 squaredrop, and I expect storage to be at a premium with the Oliver when it arrives.

https://gcioutdoor.com/products/pico-arm-chair-telescoping-directors-chair

The GCI Compact Camp Table 25 is just the right height to be a dining table with them, and we have a no-name lower table to use as a side table around the fire pit.

https://gcioutdoor.com/collections/tables/products/compact-camp-table-25

@Steve and Deb Happy Belated Birthday to you as well!!🎂🎉

Those chairs looks great! We really love our Oliver chairs but they do take up a lot of space. When we go on longer trips we will probably leave them home and get something more compact such as your Pico’s.👍🏼

• Like 1

2021 Dodge Ram 1500 

2021 Oliver Elite ll 

Hull #732 

Michigan