Zamp Charge Controller- display flashes when Lithium batteries turned OFF- Display Code 601

dhaig

Yesterday, I retrieved our 2022 LEII from storage to prepare for a trip.  When I placed the trailer in storage, two months ago, I turned OFF the three Lithium batteries, but neglected to turn OFF the Zamp Charge Controller.  With the batteries OFF, the charge controller flashes code 601, indicating battery disconnected or less than 3.0V.  I reviewed the 2022 Oliver Optional Features Manual, Abnormal Operation Mode table, page 402.  Page 399 of the same manual shows the wiring connection, with two large gauge wires connecting to the batteries.

The trailer was in a fully enclosed storage unit with no windows, during which time the Zamp Charge Controller display apparently flashed the code "601" the entire time.  I completed the Proper Lithionics  Restart/Reboot sequence specified in a Technical Service Bulletin issued 3/3/22 by Oliver, which does not involve any changes to the charge controller.  Once the three Lithionics batteries were ON, the charge controller displayed the battery condition as nearly fully charged, essentially at the same level as when placed into storage.  Cabin lights, brake and signal lights, stabilizer jacks and electric brakes all appeared to be operating normally, so I proceeded home with the trailer in tow.

From this experience I conclude the Lithionics batteries must not fully turn OFF when their ON/OFF buttons are pressed, even though the indicators show the batteries to be OFF.  The charge controller does not appear to have any other source of power, nor do I see any mention of an internal battery.  Also, the solar panels were receiving no sun light and could not produce voltage to power the charge controller.  I had not disconnected the solar panels from the charge controller.  Thus, I assume the battery management system must continue to supply power to the charge controller, but NOT provide any charge to the batteries when they are in the OFF state.  The charge controller also must have very low power consumption to display the "601" error code, with no significant consumption of power from the batteries over two months.

Has anyone else made a similar observation?  Can anyone provide details on how the charge controller and the Lithionics batteries interact when the batteries are OFF?  I am still learning the characteristics of the Lithium Pro solar power system in our trailer.

Thanks, Don

• Like 3

spacer.pngNorth Texas | 2022 LEII, Hull #990, delivered 2/17/22 | 2014 BMW X5 35d

Sorry to read of your issue Dan. To add more misery to my own 110 volt AC problem my solar/battery controller is now reading 601 as well, and I have no more juice in the batteries to run my fan (or lights) while I wait for my electrician. I am hoping this 601 code is due to all the rain and clouds we have had this past week in Florida as I have not had this problem before. I hooked up my solar suitcase today to help charge the batteries but it didn't raise the level very much. I am hoping it was because of too many clouds again, but it was working. When I hooked the truck to the trailer the batteries were charging fine but that is an expensive way to recharge my AGM batteries. My electrician is supposed to be here tomorrow to replace the transfer box, but if anyone has any words of comfort (or wisdom) I would appreciate hearing them. Is it possible I am getting this 601 code because one of the fuses blew that are in both positive lines running from panels to controller and controller to batteries?    

roguebooks 2020 Ram Classic 1500 Warlock 4x4 Hemi V-8 2018 Legacy Elite, Hull #309  ALARCOFLINKYLAMIMSMONMOKTNTXsm.jpg

travelmap2023.jpg

@roguebooks, from your description, I would venture you have a low voltage condition, with the AGM batteries below 3.0V, or your batteries are disconnected.  The 601 code appears if either condition occurs.

I knew my batteries were disconnected, since I had turned OFF all three of my Lithionics lithium batteries.  As soon as I turned the batteries ON, normal conditions were observed.

Good Luck.

Don

spacer.pngNorth Texas | 2022 LEII, Hull #990, delivered 2/17/22 | 2014 BMW X5 35d

• Moderators
26 minutes ago, dhaig said:

@roguebooks, from your description, I would venture you have a low voltage condition, with the AGM batteries below 3.0V, or your batteries are disconnected.  The 601 code appears if either condition occurs.

I knew my batteries were disconnected, since I had turned OFF all three of my Lithionics lithium batteries.  As soon as I turned the batteries ON, normal conditions were observed.

Good Luck.

Don

@roguebooksI would probably continue charging with a controlled  portable solar, in cloudy condition,   and/or agm specific charger, attached directly to the batteries,  til I figured it out.

The portable solar goes directly to the batteries, via a fused line,  bypassing the zamp controller.  

Do you have any readings from your agm batteries, via multimeter?

If they're really low, you're better off with a low charge, anyway, to start. Imo. With agm

2008 Ram 1500 4 × 4

2008 Oliver Elite, Hull #12

Florida and Western North Carolina, or wherever the truck goes....

400 watts solar. DC compressor fridge. No inverter. 2 x 105 ah agm batteries .  Life is good.

16 minutes ago, SeaDawg said:

@roguebooksI would probably continue charging with a controlled  portable solar, in cloudy condition,   and/or agm specific charger, attached directly to the batteries,  til I figured it out.

The portable solar goes directly to the batteries, via a fused line,  bypassing the zamp controller.  

Do you have any readings from your agm batteries, via multimeter?

If they're really low, you're better off with a low charge, anyway, to start. Imo. With agm

I do not know what a multimeter is but I’ll bet I don’t have one. Sure hope my electrician shows up tomorrow. I did a hard reset a few minutes ago so we’ll see if that helps. It might be those 40 amp fuses if I can find them.

• Like 1

roguebooks 2020 Ram Classic 1500 Warlock 4x4 Hemi V-8 2018 Legacy Elite, Hull #309  ALARCOFLINKYLAMIMSMONMOKTNTXsm.jpg

travelmap2023.jpg

38 minutes ago, dhaig said:

Good Luck.

Don

The controller reads 11.1 which is below the 11.5 it says is the marker for the 601 reading. I no longer have the 601 code but we’ll see in the morning if it comes back. 

• Like 1

travelmap2023.jpg

• Moderators

I think your plan of action worked to revive your agms. Slow charging from low charge is best, anyway. 

Your electrician will find the source of interruption, I'm sure. 

Fingers crossed for you. 

• Thanks 1

2008 Ram 1500 4 × 4

400 watts solar. DC compressor fridge. No inverter. 2 x 105 ah agm batteries .  Life is good.

• Moderators

I think everyone should have a decent multimer in their toolkit. Klein is good . So are others. 

Most importantly,  watch a few you tubes, and practice,  or, get an electrical knowledgeable friend to spend an hour with you. And practice. Settings are different for different voltages, etc. 

Even a cheap harbor freight meter will give you some info, that’s helpful.  

You can check each battery, to see if you have a bad one/bad cell for, example. Unfortunately , that means replacing the whole set, if the agm  batteries are older. Hopefully,  you have another use for the good ones. We can jockey them around, to other places, usually. 

Before you give up, remove the batteries (yes, I know its a pain) and take them to an auto parts store where you can get them load tested. 

• Like 2

2008 Ram 1500 4 × 4