My Delivery Day Experience Hull #1209 "Li'l Ollie"

Ron and Phyllis

On August 8th there was discussion concerning, what seemed to be, an unusual number of problems noticed in a new delivery.  Several issues were brought up but particularly some missing and poor quality caulking was noted.  This really alarmed me since our delivery day of August 11 was approaching.   After waiting so long, you just want things to go well.  I’m a caregiver for my bride of 53 years who has developed a neurocognitive disorder.  She requires my attention, which I am glad to give her.  The primary reason for me getting the Ollie is to make it easier on us both in our race against time to revisit our trips out West and into Canada that we did with our kids in the old Coleman pop-up so many years ago.  On delivery day, my goal was to test everything at the service center campsite, but with caregiving, I’ve learned patience, to expect the unexpected, and to go with the flow. I just couldn’t go over as much as I had hoped.  I had gotten reservations for 3 days after delivery for the weekend about 60 miles west at Chickasaw SP.  We have elderly parents and family nearby that we needed visit.  My plan was to use some of these 3 days go over everything and to go back to Hohenwald on the way home to East TN to have them correct any issues I might discover.

Ryan went over everything with me to my satisfaction on delivery.  It’s just a lot to cover.  A heavy downpour, as I pulled out, delayed setup and flooded the utilities at a few of the sites for a couple of hours. We had a few off and on light showers and it was very hot! During the orientation and that afternoon, I really inspected the caulking and everything I could.  I only noticed two things. 

1. the touch light over the sink did not work

2. There was a small gap between the top of awning gasket seal and the bottom of the awning. I could see a little light shining through the opening.

A tech replaced the touch light that afternoon and I was told that the small gap was not a problem.  I questioned this, and I looked at other Ollies outside and noticed that on most of them I could see small gaps of light showing above their awning gaskets.  I plan to run a caulk bead on the top of the seal. 

Caulking- Where it shows, the caulking job was almost flawless.  I know from experience how difficult this is.  I saw no missed areas.  On the roof, the caulking was adequate but no attention to esthetics was paid there, it wasn’t very neat.

What follows will be of no interest or is old news to most owners but to those awaiting delivery who have no experience with a tank monitor, it might be helpful.  Since I haven’t owned a trailer with a toilet (having only had a portable marine toilet in our A-frame popup), tank monitoring was new to me.

While at the site and even at the SP I couldn’t get the black tank to show anything other than 0%.  The grey and fresh tank monitoring seemed to work as I expected.  On departure day, I flushed 2 gallons of water into the toilet and got it to read 12%.  When I had to make my decision whether or not to go to Hohenwald, I called the service center.  I was concerned that I might have a problem with the sender panel circuit board on the black tank. I called the service center and was told that there could be a 13% difference or error in what the monitor read and what was actually in the tank.  He told me that they couldn’t see me until the next day.  I decided to proceed home.  Once home, I tested the black tank monitor by pouring gallon increments of water into the toilet and getting a reading.  Here are my results:

2 gallons     6%

4                  19%

5                 25%

6                 31%

7                 44%

8                 50%

9                 56%

10               69%

11               69% yes 69%

12               75%

13               81%

14               81% Bowl emptied but pipe was full, I raised tongue of trailer and

The level in pipe dropped and reading was 88%, I raised tongue more and the reading was 94%

I’m satisfied that everything is ok and from past thread postings we know that the tanks drain better with some increased tongue height. Apparently, when camping those days there was just not enough going into the black tank for it to read much. 

I really like the owner manuals! Some are definitely not easy reading but I’m impressed that Oliver printed all the component info and manuals and combined them.  Typically, most RVs have numerous odd sized manuals and info.  I hope this helps someone. Thanks to all you folks on this forum for your insight and help thus far and I’ll definitely be asking for more.

Li'l Ollie is at home in East TN

Ron & Phyllis and Little Ollie.jpg

Li'l Ollie at home in East TN.jpg

• Thanks 2
  • Like 8

• Moderator+

Good luck in all your travels. I hope you get to revisit all the places you’ve been and make new memories. 

The tank readings you’re experiencing are pretty much what I would expect them to be. It is more of a guesstimate than a particularly accurate reading. As time goes by you will learn to accept this as normal, as it is. 

• Like 4

Steve, Tali and our dog Rocky plus our beloved Storm, Maggie, Lucy and Reacher (all waiting at the Rainbow Bridge)

2008 Legacy Elite I - Outlaw Oliver, Hull #026 | 2014 Legacy Elite II - Outlaw Oliver, Hull #050 | 2022 Silverado High Country 3500HD SRW Diesel 4x4 

801469912_StatesVisitedTaliandSteve08-23-2021-I.jpg.26814499292ab76ee55b889b69ad3ef0.jpg1226003278_StatesVisitedTaliandSteve08-23-2021-H.jpg.dc46129cb4967a7fd2531b16699e9e45.jpg

Great report! It is encouraging information. 
Thanks, Kirk

• Like 2

Kirk and Carrie Peterson

Twin Falls, Idaho

2018 Ram 3500, with overland conversion: Rooftop tent, water, stove, Battle Born batteries, lockers, onboard air, raised air intake, Warn winch. 

2023 Elite 2, twin beds, delivered December 5, 2022 Truma package, lithium platinum package.
Hull #1305

Ron,

Great report, we are picking up in March! Seems like forever from now. We are over in Western TN, near Paris. If you are ever passing through and need a driveway to overnight, we have connections and will host you guys. 

Best to you and your wife and we sincerely hope you get to visit all sites, and more than you ever imagined.

Brian & Brandelyne

Paris, TN

• Like 2