Inverter Generator to run the Oliver AC

dewdev

I have a Powermate PM2000i Inverter Generator which I bought very cheap, since it was not running. I had to unfreeze the cylinder as the previous owner had not used it for 3 years and let the fuel dry up. I also had to clean out the carb. After spending some hours working on the generator, I finally got it running and it runs fine and provides the proper power.

This generator provides 2000 watts Surge and 1600 rated watts running power.

My Oliver AC has the soft start installed.

When powering up the Oliver using the generator, the AC will start and run but whenever the AC compressor tries to come online, the generator slows down. After a few seconds when the compressor does not come online, the generator will come back to full speed until the compressor tries to start again after around 5 minutes.

Is the 2000/1600 watts to small to run the AC compressor?

I see the Honda EU2200i and the Yamaha 2200i, the rated wattage is 2200/1800 watts (surge/running power) and people on the forum say they run their AC units with those generators.

The Honda 2000i generator provides only 2000/1600 watts of power like mine. Can people get their AC' compressors running with their 2000i generators?

Any thoughts or suggestions would be appreciated.

• Like 2

2018 Oliver Elite II, Twin Bed, Hull #354 

2024 RAM 1500, 4 x 4; Gas. 5.7L V8 Hemi MDS VVT Torque; 3.21 rear axle ratio

Maine 

You may want to make sure nothing else is drawing off the AC power while you are trying to run your A/C.

I make sure the refrigerator is set to propane and the breaker for the charger/converter is off.

I think that may resolve your problem if your generator is putting out advertised power.

Also, if you have an ECO mode, turn it off.

Andrew

• Like 5

Andrew

2019 Legacy Elite II  2018 BMW x5 35d 

• Moderators

My 2008 Honda EU2000i runs my Dometic AC unit equipped with a MicroAir EasyStart.  Does your generator have an ECO mode?

My Honda will not run the AC in ECO mode.  Do you have the ability to test the amp draw of your genset when connected and starting the AC?

Mossey

• Like 4

Mike and Krunch   Lutz, FL  
2017 LEII #193 “the dog house”

Thanks Andrew and Mossey:

Yes I do have the MicroAir Easy Start.

When trying the generator, I had nothing running except for a small dehumidifier.

I will try the  generator again and turn off the dehumidifier and look for the breaker for the  Charger/inverter and turn that off.

Thanks for the suggestions!

• Like 1

Maine 

It’s easy to forget the 110 switch for the electric heating element on the water heater.  Is that turned on?  I’ve made that mistake myself.  

• Like 3

2013 Toyota Land Cruiser 200

2018 Twin Bed Elite II #351

Thanks again Andrew and Mossey:

I tried the generator after turning off the inverter 15 amp breaker and turning off the dehumidifer.

The AC and AC compressor started up immediately just like it was on AC shore power!!

KenB: Thanks for the suggestion. I have the Truma instant water heater so no 110 switch for the electric heating element.

Problem solved. This is a great forum for solving problems.

• Like 6

Maine