Question of the Day

Steve Morris

(Stolen directly from the Land Cruiser 200 subform over a iH8MUD, with regards to JamesC, the author)

There are a lot of little things that I wonder about but I don't feel merit that I start a new thread. Still, I'm curious. Maybe this can serve as a repository for those misc questions that are still searchable but don't necessarily fit elsewhere? If no one else sees the value I'll just post mine here.

• Like 2

-----
Steve - Northern Ohio, USA
Wandering around on occasion, always lost.
2021 Toyota Land Cruiser - 2023 Oliver Elite II Twin Hull #1360 “Curiosity”
Facebook - Instagram

Camped in Curiosity = Green —— Visited with Curiosity = Gray

map.jpg

• Is there an external 115V AC outlet at/near the front of the trailer?
  • Is there an external 12V DC outlet at/near the front of the trailer?

I keep my fridge/freezer in the back of my tow vehicle, with a 115V AC pigtail hanging under the rear bumper. At home, or when at a campsite with electricity, I keep the fridge plugged in via an extension cord. So, one cord from the trailer to the power post, and one from the truck. It sure would be nice if there was an outlet near the front to plug the fridge into. Same with 12V DC.

I forgot to look when at the factory, and I haven't seen any mention of one on videos, so I'm assuming not. Am I going to have a problem adding a 115V AC and/or 12V DC outlet up front?

Thanks!

• Like 2

-----
Facebook - Instagram

map.jpg

• Is there an external port for auxiliary solar panels that goes directly to the solar charge controller? If so, are there limitations?

We've ordered the largest lithium package (which cost about as much as my first five cars combined!!) I know there's a Camp outlet, but I think with the current electrical package it goes directly to the batteries, so it assumes using a panel with an inbuilt charge controller. MY 200W panel does not have a charge controller, instead, using the MMPT controller in the Bluetti EB70S. I'm hoping that I can use the panel as is once my Oliver is ready.

Thanks for any input.

• Like 1

-----
Facebook - Instagram

map.jpg

• Is the trailer pre-wired for cell or WiFi boosters if I don't order one? 
  • Is the trailer wired for a rear camera if I want to put my own in, and are all the switches, fuses, etc. there and accessible?

Technology changes so fast, that it doesn't make sense to me to order an expensive system that might be obsolete in a year or two. If I find down the road that I want to add my own WiFi or cellular booster, are the wires already installed and easy to get to? I know Oliver has changed to a standard wiring harness, but that doesn't necessarily mean that every option is prewired, or that I might have to drill somewhere to find a buried cable.

Same question with the rear camera. I've read complaints about the quality of the OEM one, but according to Anita, I can't supply my own camera and have Oliver install it. So I either use the optional one, or add my own after the fact.

Thanks for any input!

• Like 1

-----
Facebook - Instagram

map.jpg

• Vent and power for composting toilet in standard model? What's there and not there if I want to switch to a composting toilet? Neither Deb nor I liked the seat on the Nature's Head, and think that we might get an AirHead instead.

Currently, we have the standard toilet on our order. If, down the road, we decide to switch to an AirHead, is there power available nearby for the fan? I know I'd need to "T" into the vent, plus close off the drain for the OEM toilet and cap off the water feed line.

I've searched a *lot*, and can't find where anyone has swapped toilets from the standard to composting, except John Davies' who's conversion was done by Oliver.

What am I missing?

And, that's four days worth of stupid questions, taken directly from my list of questions to ask Jason at Oliver if I can't find prior to contacting him.

• Like 1

-----
Facebook - Instagram

map.jpg

• Moderators

I'll try, but I have a 2008. 

Our trailer has a 110 outlet, by the tires.

Your bluetti panels will need not only a charge controller (not that expensive), but possibly  a device to reverse the polarity that zamp reverses, sae. (If new trailers still use zamp port. Idk.)

To tap into 12v for the tiny fan for a composting toilet will likely not be difficult.  If you decide to change it up, and if you don't have wiring installed. I'd pm John e Davies, as I think he installed his nature's head, himself. Orhers have.

Some very good questions for your Oliver rep. We'll see what he or she has to say. 

• Thanks 1
  • Like 3

2008 Ram 1500 4 × 4

2008 Oliver Elite, Hull #12

Florida and Western North Carolina, or wherever the truck goes....

400 watts solar. DC compressor fridge. No inverter. 2 x 105 ah agm batteries .  Life is good.

1 hour ago, Steve and Deb said:
  • Vent and power for composting toilet in standard model? What's there and not there if I want to switch to a composting toilet? Neither Deb nor I liked the seat on the Nature's Head, and think that we might get an AirHead instead.

Currently, we have the standard toilet on our order. If, down the road, we decide to switch to an AirHead, is there power available nearby for the fan? I know I'd need to "T" into the vent, plus close off the drain for the OEM toilet and cap off the water feed line.

I've searched a *lot*, and can't find where anyone has swapped toilets from the standard to composting, except John Davies' who's conversion was done by Oliver.

What am I missing?

And, that's four days worth of stupid questions, taken directly from my list of questions to ask Jason at Oliver if I can't find prior to contacting him.

No such thing as a stupid question, this is how we learn. I think these are all very good questions. 
We kept the stock camera but we liked our Tadibrothers better on our last camper and may eventually change it,  but we did change out the monitor to a 7” the one that came with the camper was way too small. 

• Thanks 1
  • Like 3

2021 Dodge Ram 1500 

2021 Oliver Elite ll 

Hull #732 

Michigan 

3 hours ago, Steve and Deb said:

Is there an external 115V AC outlet at/near the front of the trailer?

No.  There is a dual AC outlet on the rear curb side.

Is there an external 12V DC outlet at/near the front of the trailer?

No.  I use a portable battery to power my portable fridge, which is usually stowed in my truck.   If the battery gets low, I use a Zamp extension cable plugged into the 12v Zamp sidewall port near the battery box.  I use the same cable to extend the distance to my portable Zamp Portable Panels.  
Zamp Cable Extension

Am I going to have a problem adding a 115V AC and/or 12V DC outlet up front?

It’s not difficult to install these components, but I suggest you get your trailer first to figure out if it’s  necessary.  As you mentioned,  you could just run a short AC extension cord to the power post to power your truck fridge, or run a 12v cable to the side port. 

• Thanks 2
  • Like 2

“Ramble” - 2021 Legacy Elite II #797;  2020 Ford F-250

• Is there an external 115V AC outlet at/near the front of the trailer?
  • Is there an external 12V DC outlet at/near the front of the trailer?

I keep my fridge/freezer in the back of my tow vehicle, with a 115V AC pigtail hanging under the rear bumper. At home, or when at a campsite with electricity, I keep the fridge plugged in via an extension cord. So, one cord from the trailer to the power post, and one from the truck. It sure would be nice if there was an outlet near the front to plug the fridge into. Same with 12V DC.

https://olivertraveltrailers.com/forums/topic/3247-how-to-external-solar-dc-power-cable-using-factory-furrion-port/

John Davies

Spokane WA

• Thanks 1

SOLD 07/23 "Mouse":  2017 Legacy Elite II Two Beds, Hull Number 218, See my HOW TO threads: https://olivertraveltrailers.com/topic/john-e-davies-how-to-threads-and-tech-articles-links/

Tow Vehicle: 2013 Land Cruiser 200, 32” LT tires, airbags, Safari snorkel, Maggiolina Grand Tour 360 Carbon RTT.

Mike and Carol are correct.

Since we do not all have new campers (and things change over the years and even in the same year), it is best to ask your questions to your sales person at Oliver. 

• Thanks 1
  • Like 2

2018 Oliver Elite II, Twin Bed, Hull #354 

2024 RAM 1500, 4 x 4; Gas. 5.7L V8 Hemi MDS VVT Torque; 3.21 rear axle ratio

Maine 

Is there an external port for auxiliary solar panels that goes directly to the solar charge controller? If so, are there limitations?

There is a Zamp sidewall port on the street side near the battery box.   The fused circuit is wired directly to the batteries.  It has a limit of maybe 10A, but that’s just a guess, I don’t recall.    Only the roof panels go through a controller.   You’ll have to buy a small controller, PWM types are very inexpensive.  As Seadawg mentioned, the Zamp outlet is an SAE type, reverse polarity.  Zamp Port

• Thanks 2
  • Like 2

My Natures Head was a factory install, one of the very first. It was a custom order that later became a regular option. I doubt that the fan power wire is there in a non NH trailer It would be simple enough to run one from an unused fuse in back.You would have to block off the top of the black tank and add a tee and pipe to the 1 1/2” black sewer pipe for the new toilet vent. You could leave the fresh flush line intact, as Oliver does, but it would be best to cap off that line under the vanity so you don’t have to fuss with winterizing that small section of line. The hold down brackets would be straight forward. It should be a fairly easy mod. If you did it right away you could sell your porcelon toilet as “nearly new, unpooped in” on Craigslist. 😁

FYI the early installations of the NH had the wrong fan fuse and it would pop after a day or two. Oliver put in a 1 amp, the required one is 2.5 Amp.

John Davies

Spokane WA

• Thanks 2
  • Like 4

SOLD 07/23 "Mouse":  2017 Legacy Elite II Two Beds, Hull Number 218, See my HOW TO threads: https://olivertraveltrailers.com/topic/john-e-davies-how-to-threads-and-tech-articles-links/

Tow Vehicle: 2013 Land Cruiser 200, 32” LT tires, airbags, Safari snorkel, Maggiolina Grand Tour 360 Carbon RTT.

Thanks gang. I knew some questions were probably a longshot since no one knows what the new Victron setup will be. 
I read through John’s Natures Head thread, so I knew some of the problems. But that was before wiring harness standardization. I’m sure hoping wires are where I’ll need them!

Some of these questions *were* asked during our visit, which is why I’m asking here… Perhaps Jason will know when I call. 

• Like 6

-----
Facebook - Instagram

map.jpg

Our trailer won't be ready until March, so I feel a little awkward answering, but we found the online documentation, especially the electrical layout section in the owners manual, useful.  The 2023 docs are not there yet, but I'm guessing they'll be the same/close to 2022.  And, as you said, a quick call or email to Oliver would give you a definitive answer.  Phil answered a bunch of questions for us before and after we placed our deposit.

https://olivertraveltrailers.com/oliver-university/

• Thanks 2
  • Like 3

Bryan & Sondra

2023 Elite II Twin Bed, Hull #1358

2022 F-150 5.0L, long bed w/ Heavy Duty Payload, Max Tow, and FX4 packages

8 hours ago, Bryan in NC said:

we found the online documentation, especially the electrical layout section in the owners manual, useful.

Thanks so much for highlighting this in 2022 Owners Manual!   I also checked the 2021 manual for my trailer in the Oliver University and that manual has been updated with many electrical layout diagrams.   While they are not detailed wiring schematics, they are a big improvement over the blank pages that were in the manual when I received my trailer.   Not sure if you newer folks have seen some of the posts, but a lack of electrical schematics in 2020 and later have been the source of many posts & complaints.  Looks like somebody at Oliver responded with a compromise.  If you do need more detailed wiring schematics, you can refer to the 2019 Owners Manual, which will get you close.   You can also put pressure on your Oliver Sales team in advance and request them on behalf of us all. 

• Thanks 1
  • Like 4

• The title was changed to Question of the Day

A question for those of you using the simplehuman trashcan in the bathroom. Do you have the 6 liter? Or 10 liter?

trash2.thumb.jpg.763d288cdd7fdb4f56d865cc911debbe.jpg

trash.jpg.dfe20e04617fd3f6bf8cedde7dca1eae.jpg

-----
Facebook - Instagram

map.jpg

• Moderators
On 2/12/2023 at 5:45 PM, Steve Morris said:

A question for those of you using the simplehuman trashcan in the bathroom. Do you have the 6 liter? Or 10 liter?

I do not have experience with this particular trashcan.  However, I think that smaller is better - its not exactly like there is a bunch of spare room in the bath area😉.

Bill

• Thanks 1
  • Like 2

2023 Ford F150 Lariat 3.5EB FX4 Max Towing, Max Payload, 2016 Oliver Elite II - Hull #117 "Twist"

• Moderators
7 hours ago, rangerk9 said:

How many fuses and what type, do I need as backup, for my 2018 Legacy II?

Since I store my Ollie away from my home I do not have it readily available.  So, I simply don't remember what type of "blade" fuse is necessary - but - you can always simply pull one, take it to WalMart, Ace or any auto parts store and get a "kit" that includes a couple of fuses in the most common sizes plus a fuse puller (beats looking around for a pair of needle nose pliers).  You will also need a couple of slow blow fuses for the jacks.  There was a recent thread for those here on the Forum or you will find a yellow plastic/rubber protective case near the top of each jack.  Inside that case is the slow blow fuse.  Take it out, run down to your local NAPA store and buy a couple.

Bill

• Thanks 1
  • Like 3

2023 Ford F150 Lariat 3.5EB FX4 Max Towing, Max Payload, 2016 Oliver Elite II - Hull #117 "Twist"

My trailer is also off site at this time but it's easy to open the fuse panel under the dinette seat. my recollection:  its pretty standard stuff 7.5, 10, 15, 20 and 30 amp. Seems, I recall the 7.5 amp fuse for the furnace and fan may have been a bit unique but not hard to find. I do have a larger fuse ( maybe 40amp ) under the drive side bed next to the master power re-rest and in the battery compartment (positive side cable) . Not sure is this is stock from the factory I'm not the original owner of the 2016 trailer. 

check the owners manual starting on page 35

https://olivertraveltrailers.com/wp-content/uploads/oliver-university/Owners_Manual/2019/2019-Owners-Manual.pdf

• Thanks 1
  • Like 4

2016 Legacy Elite II, Twin Beds, Hull #124

Tow Vehicle: 2019 Ford F250 4x4  / Short Bed / Crew Cab / 6.7 Diesel

Fieldbrook, Ca

On 2/14/2023 at 6:52 AM, topgun2 said:

How many fuses and what type, do I need as backup, for my 2018 Legacy II?

For our Hull #1291, I purchased this inexpensive collection of blade fuses:

https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B07G33XCHM/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

It probably contains more fuses than I will ever need for the Oliver.  I store it in the "secret" compartment below the pantry, underneath the velcroed piece of fiber granite.

• Like 4

Hull #1291

Central Idaho

2022 Elite II

Tow Vehicle:  2019 Tundra Double Cab 4x4, 5.7L with tow package

ARCOIDNMOKORTNTXUTsm.jpg

We have never used a trailer with plumbing. Through various sources, I understand that we should not leave the black tank drain open at full hook up sites to avoid the dreaded poop mountain. Is the same true for the gray tank? I'm picturing after days of taking navy showers, that we'll be eager to take back to back long hot showers.

What is the generally accepted practice for the gray tank? Thanks!

-----
Facebook - Instagram

map.jpg

• Moderators

Yes, you don’t want to leave the black tank drain open - just when dumping.  For the gray tank I usually leave it closed until I dump.  If you want to leave it open it shouldn’t pose any problems except you won’t have gray water to flush through your hose after emptying the black tank.  Mike

• Thanks 1
  • Like 4

Texas Hill Country | 2016 Elite II #135 | 2020 Ram 2500 6.7L

ALAZARCACOFLGAIDILKSKYLAMDMSMOMTNENVNMNYNCNDOHOKSCSDTNTXUTVAWVWYsm.jpgALAZARCACOCTDEFLGAIDILINIAKSKYLAMEMDMAMS