Storage options

We live in San Antonio and our RV storage place is expanding and I have options that I haven't had until now and need to make a decision. We have few freezes but the sun is brutal most of the summer.

1. Enclosed: most secure, most protected, most expensive. Question: Do I need to plug in (only 20A) to keep the batteries charged since no sun to have solar do it?
  2. Covered: currently have an end spot so more exposed to the sun. We have the Ollie cover so we can do that, but not convenient and do we have to plug in (same question as above)?
  3. Covered, but not necessary to put the Ollie cover on it.
  4. Exposed

Do I need tire covers?

Any thoughts on how to smartly store an Ollie in between uses would be appreciated.

• Like 1

John and Jodi

San Antonio, TX

2022 Elite II - Hull #1126 being pulled by a 2022 F-150 Powerboost.

Map Legend: Red - Driven Through; Orange - Stopped In; Blue - Explored Parts; Green - Explored Whole

States 20230917.png

With "brutal" sun, a fully enclosed space is perfect. Just back the trailer in, level it,  plug into the 120 volt outlet with a heavy gauge 15 amp extension cord, be on your way. The type of batteries you have determines how you should store/ charge them. I would choose this over any exposed space in a desert climate. "Mouse" is fully enclosed in my RV bay, I do not have to worry about UV degradation, sidewall rot or rodents, and being out of sight makes it super secure. You will sleep better at home if you aren't worrying about that!

If the tires are exposed for long periods, they should definitely be covered. Oops:

image.thumb.jpeg.ce341aa27dd8fea3030519459b5ca78e.jpeg

If the solar panels can get just an hour exposure per day of sun, you don't need to plug in.

Sun exposure to the hull will not hurt it, but you will definitely need to spend a lot more time cleaning and waxing the gelcoat. An inside trailer can go long periods and still stay nice. Mine gets a Rejex application every other year.

If you want better recommendations, post pics of the potential spots with notes about sun exposure.

John Davies

Spokane WA

• Thanks 1
  • Like 3

SOLD 07/23 "Mouse":  2017 Legacy Elite II Two Beds, Hull Number 218, See my HOW TO threads: https://olivertraveltrailers.com/topic/john-e-davies-how-to-threads-and-tech-articles-links/

Tow Vehicle: 2013 Land Cruiser 200, 32” LT tires, airbags, Safari snorkel, Maggiolina Grand Tour 360 Carbon RTT.

• Moderators

John, you’ve seen our storage, covered and deep enough I can park all the way in the back and avoid any sun except at the very end of the day on the front of the trailer.  I’ve not used tire covers because the tires never see sun while in storage.  If your space gets sun on one side and the tires get that sun then I would get tire covers.  When I had AGMs I plugged in to a 20a.  With lithiums, I just turn them off.  If your solar doesn’t get sun, either in a covered space or enclosed I would turn off or disconnect your batteries.  If your panels get some sun then I’d let the solar do your battery maintenance.

We’ve talked about getting an enclosed slot here in Boerne, but the extra cost doesn’t seem worth it since security is good.  Could you get a spot that is more covered than your end spot?  Mike

• Like 5

Texas Hill Country | 2016 Elite II #135 | 2020 Ram 2500 6.7L

ALAZARCACOFLGAIDILKSKYLAMDMSMOMTNENVNMNYNCNDOHOKSCSDTNTXUTVAWVWYsm.jpgALAZARCACOCTDEFLGAIDILINIAKSKYLAMEMDMAMS

I never thought about turning the batteries off. Thanks.

10 hours ago, John E Davies said:

Just back the trailer in, level it,

How important is the leveling with an empty trailer, empty tanks, and refrigerator off?

John and Jodi

San Antonio, TX

Map Legend: Red - Driven Through; Orange - Stopped In; Blue - Explored Parts; Green - Explored Whole

States 20230917.png

• Moderators

I'd say, the only big leveling issue is if you have a 3 way fridge. Then, leveling is important.  At least enough that you feel comfortable on the trailer. 

2008 Ram 1500 4 × 4

2008 Oliver Elite, Hull #12

Florida and Western North Carolina, or wherever the truck goes....

400 watts solar. DC compressor fridge. No inverter. 2 x 105 ah agm batteries .  Life is good.

• Moderator+
3 hours ago, John and Jodi said:

How important is the leveling with an empty trailer, empty tanks, and refrigerator off?

As long as the absorption refrigerator is completely turned off, the RV can be off-level to any degree (maybe not upside down) and not harm the cooling unit in the refrigerator. It is only while in operation must the refrigerator be relatively level in order to work properly and safely. So if the unit is turned off, there’s really nothing to worry about if you store the trailer off-level over the winter.

• Like 1

Steve, Tali and our dog Rocky plus our beloved Storm, Maggie, Lucy and Reacher (all waiting at the Rainbow Bridge)

2008 Legacy Elite I - Outlaw Oliver, Hull #026 | 2014 Legacy Elite II - Outlaw Oliver, Hull #050 | 2022 Silverado High Country 3500HD SRW Diesel 4x4 

801469912_StatesVisitedTaliandSteve08-23-2021-I.jpg.26814499292ab76ee55b889b69ad3ef0.jpg1226003278_StatesVisitedTaliandSteve08-23-2021-H.jpg.dc46129cb4967a7fd2531b16699e9e45.jpg

You should take a little weight off the suspension and tires for long term storage, so you might as well get the trailer level while you are doing that. 

If the trailer is significantly off level, at least hang a red steamer (surveyors tape works) near the fridge so somebody doesn’t start it up that way.

John Davies

Spokane WA

SOLD 07/23 "Mouse":  2017 Legacy Elite II Two Beds, Hull Number 218, See my HOW TO threads: https://olivertraveltrailers.com/topic/john-e-davies-how-to-threads-and-tech-articles-links/

Tow Vehicle: 2013 Land Cruiser 200, 32” LT tires, airbags, Safari snorkel, Maggiolina Grand Tour 360 Carbon RTT.

• Moderators
16 hours ago, ScubaRx said:

As long as the absorption refrigerator is completely turned off, the RV can be off-level to any degree (maybe not upside down) and not harm the cooling unit in the refrigerator. It is only while in operation must the refrigerator be relatively level in order to work properly and safely. So if the unit is turned off, there’s really nothing to worry about if you store the trailer off-level over the winter.

Yeah, I  had a senior "brain fart moment." Thanks for the catch, @ScubaRx.

Just don't turn on the fridge while seriously off level. It's the burner that causes the crystallization and failure,too far  off level and running. 

We've made that mistake, only once, and it was an expensive error. 

• Like 1

2008 Ram 1500 4 × 4

2008 Oliver Elite, Hull #12

Florida and Western North Carolina, or wherever the truck goes....

400 watts solar. DC compressor fridge. No inverter. 2 x 105 ah agm batteries .  Life is good.

• 2 months later...

Well the hypothetical has become reality: we have our enclosed spot, no sun. Just checking in with y'all that the recommendation for lithium batteries is to turn them off. I'm assuming that means the button on each battery, correct? Then when it's time to use the trailer, turn the batteries back on and let the solar recharge them?

John and Jodi

San Antonio, TX

States 20230917.png