Stabilize Oliver II suggestions.

Katjo

Any suggestions on stabilizing the Oliver II aside from the stabilizers and scissor jacks? Mostly side to side. Anytime anyone moves inside we feel motion, didn’t experience this with our last camper.  Is this just a trait of the Oliver or are we missing something? 

• Wow 1

2021 Dodge Ram 1500 

2021 Oliver Elite ll 

Hull #732 

Michigan 

X-chocks between the wheels may help.

https://www.amazon.com/X-Chock-Wheel-Stabilizer-Handle-28012/dp/B002XLHUQG/ref=asc_df_B002XLHUQG/?tag=hyprod-20&linkCode=df0&hvadid=312098740701&hvpos=&hvnetw=g&hvrand=9066806933936176184&hvpone=&hvptwo=&hvqmt=&hvdev=c&hvdvcmdl=&hvlocint=&hvlocphy=9029558&hvtargid=pla-365326661179&psc=1

81lx--dYgtL._AC_SL1500_.jpg

Also, are your stabilizer jacks fully extended, or are they on jack blocks?  The further the stabilizer jacks are extended, the greater the potential for movement as weight is shifted inside the trailer.

• Thanks 1
  • Like 6

Hull #1291

Central Idaho

2022 Elite II

Tow Vehicle:  2019 Tundra Double Cab 4x4, 5.7L with tow package

ARCOIDNMOKORTNTXUTsm.jpg

17 minutes ago, Katjo said:

Any suggestions on stabilizing the Oliver II aside from the stabilizers and scissor jacks? Mostly side to side. Anytime anyone moves inside we feel motion, didn’t experience this with our last camper.  Is this just a trait of the Oliver or are we missing something? 

I’ve found that I have to run the left and right rear stabilizer jacks down far enough to the point that it lifts the trailer a good bit (and leveling it) and takes a portion of load off of the suspension.  The suspension flex is what is allowing the rocking, so you have to make the jacks carry the load a bit.   I use the Andersen jack buckets so the jacks aren’t extending very far, so not much flex in the jacks themselves.

• Like 10

Has anyone used those triangle jacks to add stability? I’m wonderful if that would help although more to carry but I’m at the point where the motion is making me nauseous! Need sea legs..lol! 

• Like 1

2021 Dodge Ram 1500 

2021 Oliver Elite ll 

Hull #732 

Michigan 

• Moderators
18 hours ago, Katjo said:

Has anyone used those triangle jacks to add stability? I’m wonderful if that would help although more to carry but I’m at the point where the motion is making me nauseous! Need sea legs..lol! 

Yes, there are owners that use those jacks under the front to give 4 point stability.  We run our jacks down far enough to take some load off the suspension.  I also use 8” blocks on the Camco legos to reduce the amount the jacks have to be extended.  We have a little side to side motion, not too much and we’re used to it.  Most RVs have four jack points, Oliver has three and I think it makes a difference.  Mike

• Thanks 1
  • Like 4

Texas Hill Country | 2016 Elite II #135 | 2020 Ram 2500 6.7L

ALAZARCACOFLGAIDILKSKYLAMDMSMOMTNENVNMNYNCNDOHOKSCSDTNTXUTVAWVWYsm.jpgALAZARCACOCTDEFLGAIDILINIAKSKYLAMEMDMAMS

1 hour ago, Frank C said:

I’ve found that I have to run the left and right rear stabilizer jacks down far enough to the point that it lifts the trailer a good bit (and leveling it) and takes a portion of load off of the suspension.  The suspension flex is what is allowing the rocking, so you have to make the jacks carry the load a bit.

I've pondered doing this but have been afraid to. How much lifting is too much? 

• Like 4
Chris & Duke Chadwell
🐾Maddie & Baxter🐾
Elite II Hull 292
2022 F-250 Lariat 7.3 Godzilla 4x4 Lakeland,FL

47 minutes ago, Mike and Carol said:

If the tires are still on the ground it’s not too much.  

Even if the tires are off the ground it’s technically not too much.  Although Oliver no longer recommends it, there are owners (not me) who use the jacks for changing a flat tire.   The weight rating of the jacks (3,000 lbs. for each jack) is sufficient.  

• Thanks 1
  • Like 5

• Moderators
38 minutes ago, Frank C said:

Even if the tires are off the ground it’s technically not too much.  Although Oliver no longer recommends it, there are owners (not me) who use the jacks for changing a flat tire.   The weight rating of the jacks (3,000 lbs. for each jack) is sufficient.  

I have used the jacks to change tires, balance tires, check bearings, many times.  I would hesitate to lift the tires off the ground to stabilize the trailer for extended periods of time while we are inside.  If we are off level that much I drive onto legos first, then use the jacks to stabilize keeping the tires on the ground.  I do know of owners who stabilize with tires off the ground, I’m just not comfortable with that.  Mike

• Thanks 2
  • Like 6

ALAZARCACOFLGAIDILKSKYLAMDMSMOMTNENVNMNYNCNDOHOKSCSDTNTXUTVAWVWYsm.jpgALAZARCACOCTDEFLGAIDILINIAKSKYLAMEMDMAMS

These Camco jack stands will stop the wobble. Just snug them up, don’t try to support the weight of the trailer.

We’ve quit using them, and the x-chocks. Just something else to have to mess with. You’ll get used to the movement.

1E63F5D9-9BC4-4A9B-87F6-5403A0289271.thumb.jpeg.acebaa00abd9f85aab4bdd34b266a36e.jpeg

B2DBFFC9-2E21-4E36-AEED-D30647EC664A.thumb.jpeg.356eab85977b4938b0eeb28d437d02e4.jpeg

• Thanks 1
  • Like 10

Bill and Martha

2018 LEII Hull 313

2019 Chevrolet 2500HD Duramax

Thank you. We really don’t want to add another “something” to carry. Those triangle jacks are what we were thinking that help. It might be something I just have to get use too.😏

• Like 3

2021 Dodge Ram 1500 

2021 Oliver Elite ll 

Hull #732 

Michigan 

• Moderators

I have an elite, so the experience is different.  With either trailer, like @Mike and Carol, I'd never take the tires off the ground, for more than a quick tire change . Imo.

For many situations,  from what I've seen camping with elite II owners, the Anderson levelers (or similar) are the real deal. We have one axle, so we just use wood blocks on the low side. And extra blocks under the jacks to shorten the "throw." And, maybe you do need the camco jacks, if you're very sensitive to changes. 

There's  a device that can help you get truly  level, Bluetooth.  I'll see if I can find the thread. It's quite awesome  (I've seen it in practice, we don't have it. We don'tneed it, with two of us.) 

On the sailboat, we get used to being "off level"  on a heel. Takes awhile. In a camper, you're usually  not inside enough to get used to it. Different circumstances. 

I carry a small bullet level, but mostly depend on the feel, and a half-filled water bottle on its side. If I'm comfortable,  the fridge is comfortable.  We often don't bother to put jacks down for one night stays. Never do, at a Walmart, cracker barrel, etc., as it's poor etiquette. 

• Thanks 1
  • Like 5

2008 Ram 1500 4 × 4

2008 Oliver Elite, Hull #12

Florida and Western North Carolina, or wherever the truck goes....

400 watts solar. DC compressor fridge. No inverter. 2 x 105 ah agm batteries .  Life is good.

The FIRST thing to do is get a torque wrench and check the rear jack bolts, 43 foot pounds, four bolts per jack. If they are at all loose the trailer can move around and the jacks may not operate correctly. Also check the front ones, they are smaller, hand tight with a box end wrench  is fine.

https://olivertraveltrailers.com/forums/topic/6812-check-your-rear-jack-mount-hardware-bottom-frame-bolts-were-1-turn-loose/

John Davies

Spokane WA

• Thanks 2
  • Like 7

SOLD 07/23 "Mouse":  2017 Legacy Elite II Two Beds, Hull Number 218, See my HOW TO threads: https://olivertraveltrailers.com/topic/john-e-davies-how-to-threads-and-tech-articles-links/

Tow Vehicle: 2013 Land Cruiser 200, 32” LT tires, airbags, Safari snorkel, Maggiolina Grand Tour 360 Carbon RTT.

• Moderators

I'll see if I can find the other thread 

• Thanks 1
  • Like 5

2008 Ram 1500 4 × 4

2008 Oliver Elite, Hull #12

Florida and Western North Carolina, or wherever the truck goes....

400 watts solar. DC compressor fridge. No inverter. 2 x 105 ah agm batteries .  Life is good.

4 hours ago, SeaDawg said:

I have an elite, so the experience is different.  With either trailer, like @Mike and Carol, I'd never take the tires off the ground, for more than a quick tire change . Imo.

For many situations,  from what I've seen camping with elite II owners, the Anderson levelers (or similar) are the real deal. We have one axle, so we just use wood blocks on the low side. And extra blocks under the jacks to shorten the "throw." And, maybe you do need the camco jacks, if you're very sensitive to changes. 

There's  a device that can help you get truly  level, Bluetooth.  I'll see if I can find the thread. It's quite awesome  (I've seen it in practice, we don't have it. We don'tneed it, with two of us.) 

On the sailboat, we get used to being "off level"  on a heel. Takes awhile. In a camper, you're usually  not inside enough to get used to it. Different circumstances. 

I carry a small bullet level, but mostly depend on the feel, and a half-filled water bottle on its side. If I'm comfortable,  the fridge is comfortable.  We often don't bother to put jacks down for one night stays. Never do, at a Walmart, cracker barrel, etc., as it's poor etiquette. 

We’re ok getting level it’s just not very stabile on the side to side motion. Even walking down the aisle of the Oliver we feel the motion. It’s most noticeable coming in and out the door. It seems because it’s on only 3 leveling point suspension is why we are rocking more then in our last camper. We just wonder if adding the triangle jacks might help or are we missing something? Perhaps it’s just a trait of Oliver II?🤷🏻‍♀️

• Like 2

2021 Dodge Ram 1500 

2021 Oliver Elite ll 

Hull #732 

Michigan 

37 minutes ago, Katjo said:

Perhaps it’s just a trait of Oliver II?🤷🏻‍♀️

Until you check the hardware securing your jacks, you are just chasing rainbows. Once you know they are all tight, then you can think about other options.

John Davies

Spokane WA

• Like 5

SOLD 07/23 "Mouse":  2017 Legacy Elite II Two Beds, Hull Number 218, See my HOW TO threads: https://olivertraveltrailers.com/topic/john-e-davies-how-to-threads-and-tech-articles-links/

Tow Vehicle: 2013 Land Cruiser 200, 32” LT tires, airbags, Safari snorkel, Maggiolina Grand Tour 360 Carbon RTT.

• Moderators
9 hours ago, Katjo said:

Perhaps it’s just a trait of Oliver II?🤷🏻‍♀️

Three point vs four point jacking does affect stability.  If it’s excessive, JD’s recommendation is right on.  Mike

• Like 3

16 hours ago, Townesw said:

These Camco jack stands will stop the wobble. Just snug them up, don’t try to support the weight of the trailer.

We’ve quit using them, and the x-chocks. Just something else to have to mess with. You’ll get used to the movement.

1E63F5D9-9BC4-4A9B-87F6-5403A0289271.thumb.jpeg.acebaa00abd9f85aab4bdd34b266a36e.jpeg

B2DBFFC9-2E21-4E36-AEED-D30647EC664A.thumb.jpeg.356eab85977b4938b0eeb28d437d02e4.jpeg

We use the same setup , the Camco jack stands, and X-Chocks.  The Camco jack stands really firms up the trailer.   You barely even notice any movement with someone coming in the trailer.  If I am only staying 1night I don't worry about the jacks  Any longer stay I put them up.  I really don't like to be woke up at night when my wife has to use the Lou as the trailer rocks slightly walking back and forth from the front. I am a light sleeper.  

As far as the X-chocks, If I am unhooking the the trailer for more than 1/2 hour, The X-chocks get put in place.  I have never really go without them.  For me they are extra protection for having the trailer roll ( I still use regular chock blocks), and I figure it is one more thing a thief will have to deal with when attempting to steal the trailer (along with several other locks...)

• Like 1

Early 1999 Ford F250 SD 7.3L Diesel 

2020 Elite II Twin -  Hull # 648

11 hours ago, John E Davies said:

Until you check the hardware securing your jacks, you are just chasing rainbows. Once you know they are all tight, then you can think about other options.

John Davies

Spokane WA

We did check them and they are all tight. 

2021 Dodge Ram 1500 

2021 Oliver Elite ll 

Hull #732 

Michigan 

17 minutes ago, 2008RN said:

We use the same setup , the Camco jack stands, and X-Chocks.  The Camco jack stands really firms up the trailer.   You barely even notice any movement with someone coming in the trailer.  If I am only staying 1night I don't worry about the jacks  Any longer stay I put them up.  I really don't like to be woke up at night when my wife has to use the Lou as the trailer rocks slightly walking back and forth from the front. I am a light sleeper.  

As far as the X-chocks, If I am unhooking the the trailer for more than 1/2 hour, The X-chocks get put in place.  I have never really go without them.  For me they are extra protection for having the trailer roll ( I still use regular chock blocks), and I figure it is one more thing a thief will have to deal with when attempting to steal the trailer (along with several other locks...)

I think we are going to try these triangle Jack stands. We checked the hardware on the jacks and they are all tight. We are using scissor jacks but we have way to much motion, I don’t think it should move that much. We are also going to change our 4” tall blocks to the 7 or 8” so the stabilizers are less extended. Hopefully that will help. I need Dramamine…lol! This is why I’m not a boater.😬😂

• Like 1

2021 Dodge Ram 1500 

2021 Oliver Elite ll 

Hull #732 

Michigan 

I place a scissors jack and some blocks of wood under the steps. Hand tight enough to keep the steps from dropping with weight, no jacking. This helps reduce the rocking a lot when someone is using the steps.

IMG_20210222_121454253.thumb.jpg.66071a82f5d9053ec9343d98957de84f.jpg

• Like 9

Jerry & Kathy

2019 LEII Standard #539 + 2019 Tundra Limited 4X4