Rubber window molding outside is getting discolored

Jheim

• 2 months later...
20 minutes ago, Jenna said:

Of those who switched from white to black, have you had any issues with streaking?

I changed our Oliver window seals from white to black a couple years ago.  Here are the before and after photos.  I haven’t had any streaking from the black seals.  

833D51A3-551D-4BD3-897B-9F32FB5F83B5.jpeg

FD9C7C34-B2E6-44F4-B721-A6964316DC3B.jpeg

• Like 6

Thanks Frank!  I am glad to hear this!  Our white seals have shrunk (2019 E2 #550)  and after reading about them on the forums and FB, I have an order prepared with Pelland and before I hit enter, I wanted to find out if streaking was an issue or not.  Soe responses were confusing as contributors indicated Oliver switched to white due to streaking, others said that was not true.  I will assume streaking is not to be an issue.    Next summer I will tackle gutters (when it's warmer).

2019 Oliver Elite II, Hull #550  --  2019 Ram 1500 Hemi 7.4L  Big Horn

spacer.png

2 hours ago, Jenna said:

Of those who switched from white to black, have you had any issues with streaking?

No streaking issues at all with the black window seals. I tossed the white seals in the recycle trash bin.

Patriot 🇺🇸

• Like 3

2020 OLEII - Hull #634 aka-  “XPLOR” 

2021 F350 6.7 liter Diesel Lariat Ultimate Tremor aka- Beast

IMG_2879.jpeg

• 3 weeks later...
2 hours ago, Bshaffer said:

We switched from red to black several years ago. Best decision ever.

When Ryan was showing us our E2, he recommended changing to the black seals. He said the white ones were too hard to keep clean.

Kirk

• Like 1

Kirk and Carrie Peterson

Twin Falls, Idaho

2018 Ram 3500, with overland conversion: Rooftop tent, water, stove, Battle Born batteries, lockers, onboard air, raised air intake, Warn winch. 

2023 Elite 2, twin beds, delivered December 5, 2022 Truma package, lithium platinum package.
Hull #1305

• Moderators
3 hours ago, Bshaffer said:

We switched from red to black several years ago.

Not to hijack the thread - but - just how is that beautiful red Ollie doing these days?  How about a picture or two for those that have never seen it?

Bill

• Like 1

2023 Ford F150 Lariat 3.5EB FX4 Max Towing, Max Payload, 2016 Oliver Elite II - Hull #117 "Twist"

• 1 month later...

Had some nice weather this last weekend and cleaned out the window tracks of our beloved Oliver. The seals seem to have shrunk more to the point where I am replacing them with the Pellandent H109-376 seals. Thanks to all the previous posters for the info and tips.

BTW, I am getting all BLACK seals.

• Like 2
Legacy Elite I

ALCTDEFLGAKYMEMDMANHNJNYNCPARISCTNVTVAWV

• Moderators
1 hour ago, skalywag said:

he seals seem to have shrunk more to the point where I am replacing them with the Pellandent H109-376 seals.

Make sure you order a little extra.  Then you can add a little piece if they shorten up.  I have added pieces to the top of the windows to fill the small gaps.  I never figured out if I cut them short or if they shrunk on their own, but I do usually blame myself.  After all, I touched it last.

Mossey

• Thanks 1
  • Like 1
  • Wow 1

Mike and Krunch   Lutz, FL  
2017 LEII #193 “the dog house”

5 hours ago, skalywag said:

Had some nice weather this last weekend and cleaned out the window tracks of our beloved Oliver. The seals seem to have shrunk more to the point where I am replacing them with the Pellandent H109-376 seals. Thanks to all the previous posters for the info and tips.

BTW, I am getting all BLACK seals.

@skalywag

This tool made quick work of cutting the new black seals. It provides a nice and clean edge on the seal. It’s also very handy If you decide to install rain gutters over your Ollies windows. It was worth every cent of the $8.00 paid.

If you lay your new black trim in the sun it for 20 minutes or so it will cooperate much better after being coiled up when shipped if you live in a cold climate. Enjoy your install, just passing it forward. 😊

Patriot🇺🇸

4A64AF4B-131A-4B6E-BE7C-4179463B395E.thumb.png.0df0524caf50a1d2ffbe3d40c5f9a0a4.png

• Thanks 1
  • Like 5

2020 OLEII - Hull #634 aka-  “XPLOR” 

2021 F350 6.7 liter Diesel Lariat Ultimate Tremor aka- Beast

IMG_2879.jpeg

• 1 month later...

image.thumb.jpeg.a7c64a6af28d489d737f0f77ef79b2c8.jpeg

We had the dark blotches on our window glaze also...(1st pic)  Judging by the debris found in the track, it appears the PO never cleaned the glaze or removed them to clean the tracks (we've only owned our Hull #226 for a few weeks, FYI.). After soaking in bleach over night most of the blotches were dissolved, but the glazing still didn't look fresh.  In addition, over time, the strips tend to shrink which caused 1/4" - 3/8" gaps on either end (see second pic).IMG_6910.thumb.jpeg.1485ad8e1246df5fa61002ae9ed03bd9.jpeg

Decided to replace the glaze strips with new white ones...  Could've gone black, but we'll see - maybe change them in a few years, who knows.  There's definitely an "inside" and "outside" of the glaze strip to consider when installing.  See pic #3 - the longer edge goes toward window ("inside")while the shorter lip orients to "outside."

Pic #4:  shows new glazing being installed into the window sill track...IMG_6909.thumb.jpeg.1cb1d5dea9acbed994f3a916b36b9a81.jpeg

The plan is to simply keep the glaze strips on a regular maintenance schedule and keep them from "blotching" as long a possible.  R&R of the strips was definitely an opportune time to clean out the debris collected in the tracks!

IMG_6912.jpeg

• Like 5

spacer.png

Art, Diane, Oscar & Magnus (double-Aaarrf!)

• 2022 TUNDRA w/Airlift Load Lifter 5000 kit/2017 LE II; Hull #226 "Casablanca", 12VDC Starlink kit, 3x Battle Borns; Victron Cerbo GX, SmartShunt, MPPT Solar Controller, & DC-DC Charger; HAM call-sign:  W0ABX