Shower System

topgun2

• Moderators

Recently AZ Wanderer posted about the Geyser Shower System.  Starting at a bit over $250 it got me to thinking about my present shower system and what it cost.  Bottom line with a bit of guessing my shower system cost around $145 including the shower tent.  Not only is my system a bit more versatile in that a number of the components can be used for other purposes but it also saves more money, water and propane in the long run and provides for a more "normal" shower compared to the Geyser system (particularly if someone has relatively long hair).  I started with just a simple "solar shower" back in my tent camping/backpacking days.  Unfortunately, the stream of water wasn't exactly strong and having to use a knob or valve to turn off the water flow when soaping up was a bit of a pain and wasted water too.  So, I added a small submersible water pump to the system.

I've included a water storage container even though the Ollie's fresh water tank could be used instead.  The transfer pump (item with the red top) is used to get water from the storage container into the solar shower.  Once the solar shower is full I either leave it at my camp or simply place it on the top of the tonneau cover on my truck where it will get sun most of the day.  With a full day of sun this will heat the water to a temperature that will actually scald you and should either be left to cool a bit or mixed with cold water prior to trying to take a shower.  On cloudy days either the water heater in the Ollie or heating a pot of water on the stove are alternatives to the solar shower.  Normally on a two month fishing trip in the Rockies I will only have to resort to heating water less then 6 times.

In either case, the hot water is simply dumped into the 5 gallon bucket and combined with cold water until it feels comfortable.  Then the water pump (the blue and white item) is turned on and placed into the bucket along with the shower head.  As long as the shower head remains in the bucket the water simply recirculates so there is no need to turn the flow on and/or off between soaping up and rinsing off.  At the end of the shower any water remaining in the bucket can either be left there and combined with new hot water the next day or returned to the storage container.

If weather permits and grey water is allowed to be dispersed onto the ground then I use a shower tent.  This provides a bit more room as compared to showering in the Oliver and reduces the impact on more water going into my grey tank.  If I can't use the shower tent then I simply place the 5 gallon bucket on the toilet seat in the Oliver and shower as normal.  This too saves water and there is at least as good water pressure and less mess to clean up as compared to using the onboard Oliver water pump and bath.

I don't think that my system saves as much water as the Geyser but it does provide for a more "normal" shower and is less than half the cost.  I do save on both propane and water as compared to a shower in the Ollie and the 5 gallon bucket and 8 gallon water container can be used for other things around camp.

Bill

Ozark Trail Camping Shower and Utility Tent, 1-Person Capacity, 1-Room, Blue

P1030155.JPG

P1030154.JPG

P1030153.JPG

P1030152.JPG

• Like 5

2023 Ford F150 Lariat 3.5EB FX4 Max Towing, Max Payload, 2016 Oliver Elite II - Hull #117 "Twist"

For our Hiker, I used parts from the Geyser and adapted them to our RoadShower. More info here: 

https://www.facebook.com/100064448631768/posts/pfbid0d17FDqu2asAWPkCPTgCCVpzjfdieerzrYpJ39JeXEgT8tB5Dskt2azTJWCNiWrpCl/?app=fbl

• Like 1

-----
Steve - Northern Ohio, USA
Wandering around on occasion, always lost.
2021 Toyota Land Cruiser - 2023 Oliver Elite II Twin Hull #1360 “Curiosity”
Facebook - Instagram

Camped in Curiosity = Green —— Visited with Curiosity = Gray

map.jpg