Looking for a campground with the new OTT - in general direction of Paducah and Kansas City

Ben Phinney

• Moderators

It seems to me that if you are headed towards KC then Paducah is in the wrong general direction.  

However, if you are in Paducah then I highly recommend Red's Donut and Coffee Company, 4790 Village Square Drive, Paducah.

Bill

• Like 2

2023 Ford F150 Lariat 3.5EB FX4 Max Towing, Max Payload, 2016 Oliver Elite II - Hull #117 "Twist"

Welcome to the forum, please fill out your signature so we know what trailer and tow vehicle you have. Do you have towing experience? I can’t recommend any specific places along your route, though Land Between The Lakes is near Paducah and has a whole bunch of camping options and 170,000 acres. The last time I was there was around 1976, so my memories are off a little 😬

6CB31148-721D-4781-92AE-E684211420FA.thumb.jpeg.8ecb88a86da60e15db88f1b2c067065d.jpeg

I do caution that some of the secondary county roads in middle and west TN are extremely twisty and up/ down/ up, and they should be avoided if you haven’t towed before. Stick to major state and US  highways and avoid the ridges and “hollers” (hollows).

John Davies

Spokane WA

• Like 3

SOLD 07/23 "Mouse":  2017 Legacy Elite II Two Beds, Hull Number 218, See my HOW TO threads: https://olivertraveltrailers.com/topic/john-e-davies-how-to-threads-and-tech-articles-links/

Tow Vehicle: 2013 Land Cruiser 200, 32” LT tires, airbags, Safari snorkel, Maggiolina Grand Tour 360 Carbon RTT.

5 hours ago, Ben Phinney said:

Hello:

We are picking up our OTT today and have 2 nights to travel to KC.  Any suggestions for a campground in northern TN or southern KY?  

Thanks very much in advance,

Barb and Ben

Barb and Ben,

John‘s map of LBL (Land Between the Lakes) is a good one but it will take you out of the way.  We are located in Paris, TN and live a few miles from Paris Landing SP, there is also a KOA nearby.

We are waiting on a 2023 delivery and have sold our Airstream.  If you are only stopping over and don’t need a campground, you can stay over night in our driveway. We have 30 amp hookups.

We are about 2 hours from Hohenwald. If you take 412 over to 641 it will take you to Paris, TN.

That’s about 1/2 way to Paducah so if you are wanting to make up some time, you might want to keep heading up that way.

Safe Travels, 

Brian

• Like 3

4 hours ago, John E Davies said:

I can’t recommend any specific places along your route, though Land Between The Lakes is near Paducah and has a whole bunch of camping options and 170,000 acres. The last time I was there was around 1976, so my memories are off a little 😬

@John E Davies John - I forgot you lived in the area before. LBL is great. We really like Piney Campground. We were over there on Saturday getting my Military Annual Pass renewed (FREE). They just signed legislation to make the military passes LIFETIME FREE.

Will be getting that one after the first of the year.  It’s an inter-agency pass for seven different agencies, NPS, COE, BLM, etc.

Brian

• Like 4

• 2 weeks later...
8 hours ago, Ben Phinney said:

THANKS FOR THE SUGGESTIONS.  WE CAMPED AT REELFOOT LAKE STATE PARK IN TENNESSEE AND THEN LAKE OF THE OZARKS.

Reelfoot SP is nice except there is little to no cell service. That lake was actually created from one of the biggest earthquakes this country has ever seen. The New Madrid, MO earthquake was so powerful the Mississippi River ran backwards for a time and formed Reelfoot Lake.  The area is now part of the New Madrid Seismic Zone and we are waiting for the next big one!

Brian

• Like 2

• Moderators
13 minutes ago, Brian and Brandelyne said:

we are waiting for the next big one!

In 1993 while living in Saint Louis there was a prediction that the "next big one" was certain to happen any day now.  Therefore, all of the home owner insurance companies raised their rates in order to help pay for this event.  

I'm guessing that by now the insurance companies have enough in reserves that they will be able to make the Mississippi flow in whatever direction they choose.😇

Bill 

• Like 1
  • Haha 4

2023 Ford F150 Lariat 3.5EB FX4 Max Towing, Max Payload, 2016 Oliver Elite II - Hull #117 "Twist"