FREE Install on Truma Aventa ECO Air Conditioners

BBL

OK folks, I have heard many people asking when/if they can upgrade their current air conditioner with a Truma Aventa Eco and, until now, it hasn't been possible.

I am just passing this along. I have no idea IF an Oliver is eligible but from what I can see, it seems like Truma is willing to install at one of their service centers. 

This is not an endorsement, just passing it along.

Brian

9528D41C-143A-492E-AA5A-B0FD3658025E.jpeg

• Thanks 2
  • Like 8

3 minutes ago, Mike and Carol said:

Are there any factory equipped Truma Olivers out there yet?  Would like to hear how it performs.  The Houghton gets good reviews.  Mike

The ones in the showrooms have them and they are super quiet. I think they will freeze you out if that is what you were after. For all those considering, the Truma (US Version) does not have a heat pump. I am not sure what the Dometic Penguin has but I really enjoyed having the heat pump in our Dometics in the Airstream for those evenings where it wasn’t cold enough for the furnace.

That being said, I am getting the Truma. 

Brian

• Thanks 1
  • Like 3

On 9/18/2022 at 2:36 PM, Brian and Brandelyne said:

OK folks, I have heard many people asking when/if they can upgrade their current air conditioner with a Truma Aventa Eco and, until now, it hasn't been possible. ...      This is not an endorsement, just passing it along.

It is nice that we now have three options.  Dometic, Truma and the Houghton.  From experience I know that each owner has his/her unique perspectives.  Some of them maybe:

• Group One:  Hard of hearing and would perfer the Dometic with it's 80 DB rating on high and 75 DB on low fan setting.  
  • Group Two:  Those who don't like talking to their significant other, or who wear head phones may prefer the Truma with it's 77 DB rating on high annd 60 DB rating on night setting.
  • Group Three: Those of us who like to converse and sleep in a quiet environment the new Houghton AC is available with its 56 DB rating on high and 47 DB on low ratings.

This summer we ended up chasing Katanga PIlot and his lovely bride across much of Alaska.  I recalled his great posts about upgrading his Ollie (Hull 628) and asked if I could see their trailer.  When I steped up into their OE2, I assumed that the AC was not running as it was to my ears  totally silent.  He smiled and said it was running at the High Setting.  For the first time I realized that I could be a Group Three member.  

OTT may want to consider updating their video and A/C Options so the Group 3 folks can also be happier.  🙂  

GJ

PS:  Here is a video that shows how they achieve their class leading DB numbers as well as their Owner's Manual:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2zQkBDPOLW4

2010454645_HOUGHTONRP-AC3400LowProfileAirConditioner.pdf

• Like 2

TV:  2019 F-150 SuperCrew Lariat, 3.5L EcoBoost, Max Tow, FX-4, Rear Locker      OLLIE:  2018 OE2 Hull 342, Twin Bed.    OLLIE DYI’s:  BB LiFePO4's, Victron 712 Smart, 350 Amp Master Switch, Houghton 3400, Victron Orion DC - DC, 3000-Watt Renogy Inverter, P.D. 60-amp Converter, Frig Dual Exhaust Fans, Kitchen Drawer Straps.    TV DYI’s:  2 5/16" Anderson System, Timken Bearings, Nitto recon’s, Firestone Rear Air Bags, Bilstein 5100’s, Mud Flaps & Weather Tech all.

image.jpeg.9633acdfb75740f0fd358e1a5118f105.jpeg

Austin Service Center is a remote truck as Mike mentioned. 

Service Tech is doing mine onsite in three weeks, unless magic happens and he squeezes it in before our upcoming Alpine trip, but looks unlikely. 

Anyone want to buy a Dometic as a spare?

😉

• Like 2

2020 Legacy Elite II Hull 625 - 2013 Lexus LX 570

San Antonio/Boerne - Texas Hill Country

• Moderators
5 hours ago, Ralph Mawyer said:

Service Tech is doing mine onsite in three weeks, unless magic happens and he squeezes it in before our upcoming Alpine trip, but looks unlikely. 

😉

Ralph, Truma or Houghton?  Can I come over for a sound test?  😃. Mike

Texas Hill Country | 2016 Elite II #135 | 2020 Ram 2500 6.7L

ALAZARCACOFLGAIDILKSKYLAMDMSMOMTNENVNMNYNCNDOHOKSCSDTNTXUTVAWVWYsm.jpgALAZARCACOCTDEFLGAIDILINIAKSKYLAMEMDMAMS

6 hours ago, Ralph Mawyer said:

😉

Ralph, Do you already have the Truma hot water heater?  If so, have they explained how they are going to integrate the controls with the existing hot water heater and the thermostat for the propane furnace?  Just curious.

2018 Elite II, Hull #414 (the very last 2018 produced).  Trailer name "2 HOBOS" .   2018 F250 4X4 Crew Cab, 6.7L diesel

On 9/20/2022 at 9:57 AM, Mike and Carol said:

Are there any factory equipped Truma Olivers out there yet?  Would like to hear how it performs.  The Houghton gets good reviews.  Mike

Mike, we pick up on November 7 and chose the Truma.  It was more expensive, but from what I read in the forum, most people don't like the Dometic.  Oliver did a video comparing the two a couple months ago with decibel ratings.  I don't know if there have been many installed yet.  I don't know how the Truma compares to the Houghton.

John

• Thanks 1

John and Debbie, Beaverton, Oregon,  2017 Ford Expedition EL 4x4 3.5 liter Ecoboost, with heavy duty tow package. Hull #1290, twin bed with Truma package (a/c, furnace, hot water heater with electric antifreeze option), lithium pro package, picked up November 7, 2022

spacer.png

• Moderators
On 9/30/2022 at 10:41 AM, Geronimo John said:

OTT may want to consider updating their video and A/C Options so the Group 3 folks can also be happier.  🙂  

I have seen no evidence that Houghton has attained RvIA rating, so that pretty much knocks them out of contention, for manufacturers, @Geronimo John. Since we were so far out of warranty,  made no difference to us. Pretty easy swap, actually.  

We like our Houghton. But, I'd say for now, its a replacement unit, only. Our 9500 has no heat strip, nor heat pump. Only the bigger units have a heat strip, I think.

2008 Ram 1500 4 × 4

2008 Oliver Elite, Hull #12

Florida and Western North Carolina, or wherever the truck goes....

400 watts solar. DC compressor fridge. No inverter. 2 x 105 ah agm batteries .  Life is good.

18 hours ago, John Welte said:

Mike, we pick up on November 7 and chose the Truma.  It was more expensive, but from what I read in the forum, most people don't like the Dometic.  Oliver did a video comparing the two a couple months ago with decibel ratings.  I don't know if there have been many installed yet.  I don't know how the Truma compares to the Houghton.

John

John:

Do you know where I can find that video?

Thanks

2018 Oliver Elite II, Twin Bed, Hull #354 

2024 RAM 1500, 4 x 4; Gas. 5.7L V8 Hemi MDS VVT Torque; 3.21 rear axle ratio

Maine 

• Moderators

This is probably what you're looking for:

• Thanks 2

2008 Ram 1500 4 × 4

2008 Oliver Elite, Hull #12

Florida and Western North Carolina, or wherever the truck goes....

400 watts solar. DC compressor fridge. No inverter. 2 x 105 ah agm batteries .  Life is good.

2 hours ago, SeaDawg said:

This is probably what you're looking for:

Thanks SeaDawg.  That was the video.

John

John and Debbie, Beaverton, Oregon,  2017 Ford Expedition EL 4x4 3.5 liter Ecoboost, with heavy duty tow package. Hull #1290, twin bed with Truma package (a/c, furnace, hot water heater with electric antifreeze option), lithium pro package, picked up November 7, 2022

spacer.png

On 10/1/2022 at 2:41 PM, Mike and Carol said:

Ralph, Truma or Houghton?  Can I come over for a sound test?  😃. Mike

Sure, I gather Houghton is quieter, but guessing the Truma will be fine and it will be a done deal.  From my discussion with the tech we probably have a few options for dealing with the furnace thermostat, but as John and other have done, not a hard problem to solve.  Now if I had service install the full Lithonics package for $16K I'd have a 2023 trailer...which would still be a bargain if I remember the fully loaded price for 2023.

• Love 1

On 10/1/2022 at 3:26 PM, hobo said:

Ralph, Do you already have the Truma hot water heater?  If so, have they explained how they are going to integrate the controls with the existing hot water heater and the thermostat for the propane furnace?  Just curious.

I do have the Truma water heater. That doesn't look to be an integration point with the AC.  

The furnace has a couple of options from reading other posts on here and some preliminary discussions with the tech on the phone. Didn't seem to be significant issue, e.g., just bypassing AC wires to existing Domestic thermostat or existing lines to new furnace only thermostat.  The Truma uses yet another remote for the AC.  I think that will be five at last count.

They AC vents to front and rear, with the thermostat in the middle, lower case area.  I may have mis-remembered, but I think the Tech said the AC can handle a 30-40F degree differential from ambient which we can easily test in Texas.

I didn't think to ask, but will be interested in how he routes the condensation drain, hopefully plug-n-play with the existing one.

• Like 2

Ralph, do you know whether the Truma can use Oliver's internal condensate drain?  This link to the operating instructions suggests that it can be done.  Please let us know.

OPI Aventa Eco Comfort US English_0.pdf (truma.net)

• Like 1

Steve H & Mary Allyn W

San Antonio, TX

2022 LE II Hull #969 "Un Œuf", 2021 MB Sprinter 3500 "Polly", 2016 GMC Canyon 2.8L diesel "Max"

Steve and MA:

Thanks for providing the link for the Truma Aventa Eco AC unit.

In answer to some earlier question:

1. The AC unit is rated at 13, 5000 BTU/hr.

2. It requires at a minimum CG power connection of 20 amps.

3. Condensate is handled by an internal drain tube.

I made out the qualifying survey and noted that I was interested in the installation at their Florida location. After receiving approval via email, I did not receive any further information regarding scheduling so I called them. I was directed to leave a message with the scheduling person and got a phone call back 4 days later. I was told that the cost of the unit is around $2550 (with the part needed to connect the Oliver condensate drain).

2018 Oliver Elite II, Twin Bed, Hull #354 

2024 RAM 1500, 4 x 4; Gas. 5.7L V8 Hemi MDS VVT Torque; 3.21 rear axle ratio

Maine 

• 3 weeks later...

Well, the first attempt by Truma to replace the Domestic AC in an Oliver was a big fail...for the simplest of non-Truma reasons.

After we got the interior box removed, along with the mounting bolts, the external unit should have just lifted off.

It would not move, I mean two guys pushing from the external edge and from the inside pushing up.

Called Oliver Service, they said it was mounted with butyl tape and may be tight.

From what we could see the rear had a 1/2" thick rubberized molding piece supporting it. It wasn't butyl. Even using body shop plastic wedges we could get no play in trying to separate the unit from the 'tape' or the tape from the trailer.

We debated taking the AC apart to separate it, but that could have still been a dead end as you really need that piece and whatever is up front to come off the fiberglass and we didn't want to damage the gelcoat by try to cut between the 'tape' and the surface.

So, we put it back together and will see what Truma and Oliver can come up with.

It's possible in my May 2020 delivery cycle they were using something different than butyl tape, because it was locked in.

The unit set in the Alabama sun for its first year, but has been covered the rest of it's storage life..so not sure if sun really made much difference.  

Almost like the difference in LocTite Red vs Blue.

If it was in a shop you could use a fork lift to ease the unit up, but you still have the issue of whether the tape will come with it and/or damage the gel coat.

I don't know how often Oliver Service has had to replace an AC on older units, but I'm guessing not many.

If you are having yours done, you'll have to remove the interior hold-down bolts to determine how hard/easy it comes off.

If they can work out a non-destructive way to remove the mounting 'tape', we'll give it another try.  

This is an issue, irrespective of whether replacing with a Truma, Houghton or something else.

More to come, I hope....

• Like 3