Jump to content

Elite I bed across the back and adding some color


Ron and Phyllis
 Share

Recommended Posts

  • 2 weeks later...

Really like what you did with the bed in the back and we are considering doing the same, however, we just ordered an Elite 1 and will not receive it until May 2023. 

Taking this idea a step further, we are thinking about making the side dinette in to a permanent bed too and then install a Lagun mount with tabletop at the back. This could also be used as a prep table next to the stovetop by swiveling it there. I suppose we will have to see how this will work after we get our Ollie. 

David Purkey

  • Like 3

“Coddiwomple” - 2023 Elite 1 #???? (May 2023)

2021 Toyota 4Runner TRD Premium with ATF cooler

North Plains, Oregon

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I will be interested in seeing what you end up doing.  We may go back and forth varying according to the situation.  My wife has a neurocognitive disorder and often needs help when she gets up finding a light or if she wakes up and is confused or uncomfortable.  I had hoped we might not wake each other as much with the bed across the back.  Right now, it's not the case.  I'm hoping this may change in time.  We just got back from a couple of cold nights 29 and 32 degrees on top of Mt Pisgah NC on the Blue Ridge Pky.  I decided, since we had no hookups and it is shaded and we needed to conserve batteries, that we would use the full bed.  It worked well.  I still like to lounge on the lowered side table down with the pillows to read or watch tv.  We'll see.  Just a comment, even with mostly shade, our batteries charged enough from the solar panels to run the fan on the furnace that I set at 60-62, use the water pump, and we used lights sparingly.  We might have done ok one more day. I have a movable solar array also, but I could not get it to charge when plugged into the Zamp outlet.  I'll have to work on this.  

On a previous trip, I had an issue with the battery door coming open 45 minutes down the road.  A block on the door that attaches to a cable broke when it flew open from road vibration.  The door would not stay closed.   I had to tie the door shut until I could get home and repair. When home, on further inspection, I found the locking mechanism would not properly engage a nylon block mounted in the roof of the compartment.  I removed the block and made it thicker by adding an aluminum plate to give more for the locking mechanism to strike against. Plus, the aluminum wouldn't score from the metal locking arm like the soft nylon.   I opened a service ticket and Oliver sent me replacement blocks for the door and the roof.  The nylon roof block was still just too thin so I used my thicker block with the aluminum plate.  I think this means that either the door is just a little off or maybe the locking mechanism.  I made some photos that I might post.  It works fine now with my repair.  I met an Elite II owner on that trip and showed him the broken blocks.  We looked at his 2017 battery compartment and the roof block was made of solid aluminum instead of the nylon block in mine.  

Good luck on your delivery and I hope to hear from you again.

Ron Williams

  • Like 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • Moderators
9 hours ago, Ron and Phyllis said:

I have a movable solar array also, but I could not get it to charge when plugged into the Zamp outlet.  I'll have to work on this.  

What brand is your movable array? If it's not zamp, you probably need an adaptor to reverse polarity.

Glad you were able to enjoy Pisgah without it. 

2008 Ram 1500 4 × 4

2008 Oliver Elite, Hull #12

Florida and Western North Carolina, or wherever the truck goes....

400 watts solar. Dc compressor fridge. No inverter. 2 x 105 ah agm batteries .  Life is good.

 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

OK, when I do the modification (if it is possible - depending on backing) next year I will post it here with photos.

David P.  

“Coddiwomple” - 2023 Elite 1 #???? (May 2023)

2021 Toyota 4Runner TRD Premium with ATF cooler

North Plains, Oregon

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • Moderators
On 10/6/2022 at 11:36 PM, Ron and Phyllis said:

The nylon roof block was still just too thin so I used my thicker block with the aluminum plate.  I think this means that either the door is just a little off or maybe the locking mechanism

Many of these "locking mechanisms" are adjustable as to the length of the rod that holds the metal tab which slides onto that thicker block you installed.  Pictures certainly would help us determine if this could be done in your case.

Bill

  • Like 1

2023 Ford F150 Lariat 3.5EB FX4 Max Towing, Max Payload, 2016 Oliver Elite II - Hull #117 "Twist"

Link to comment
Share on other sites

12 hours ago, topgun2 said:

Many of these "locking mechanisms" are adjustable as to the length of the rod that holds the metal tab which slides onto that thicker block you installed.  Pictures certainly would help us determine if this could be done in your case.

Bill

Thanks Bill, I will check tomorrow to see if an adjustment could have been done, instead of my thicker block remedy and reply if it could save someone some extra effort.  

Ron

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 3 weeks later...

Ron,

Following up on the articulating table mount. Here is what I plan to install in "Coddiwomple" (Elite 1) when we get it next spring. With this setup we should be able to position the tabletop next to the stovetop and my wife is happy about that. 
 
It is a lagun-type removable table mount and seems to be very strong. The powdercoat finish is nice and the fit is tight.

I contacted Foy and he can make a tabletop for us with the underside routed out to lighten it up so I will order that later when I dial in the final tabletop dimensions. 

Need to figure out support bracing and backing later. Might have to have a custom brace made so as not to stress the fiberglass.

I purchased this from EZ-Reach (division of Cass Hudson) and spoke to the design engineer about my plan to add a second arm so I would have an elbow like movement rather than just one arm with an arc. He thought it was a good idea and would work so I ordered two of the 12" arms. I cut one tube down so it would fit in to the other and it works great. I extended it out all the way and put 20lbs on the table bracket - It is solid. Now I just need a trailer to install it in!

David Purkey

EZ2.jpg

EZ1.jpg

  • Like 4

“Coddiwomple” - 2023 Elite 1 #???? (May 2023)

2021 Toyota 4Runner TRD Premium with ATF cooler

North Plains, Oregon

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 3 weeks later...
  • Moderator+
On 10/29/2022 at 1:41 PM, David Purkey said:

Ron,

Following up on the articulating table mount. Here is what I plan to install in "Coddiwomple" (Elite 1) when we get it next spring. With this setup we should be able to position the tabletop next to the stovetop and my wife is happy about that. 
 
It is a lagun-type removable table mount and seems to be very strong. The powdercoat finish is nice and the fit is tight.

I contacted Foy and he can make a tabletop for us with the underside routed out to lighten it up so I will order that later when I dial in the final tabletop dimensions. 

Need to figure out support bracing and backing later. Might have to have a custom brace made so as not to stress the fiberglass.

I purchased this from EZ-Reach (division of Cass Hudson) and spoke to the design engineer about my plan to add a second arm so I would have an elbow like movement rather than just one arm with an arc. He thought it was a good idea and would work so I ordered two of the 12" arms. I cut one tube down so it would fit in to the other and it works great. I extended it out all the way and put 20lbs on the table bracket - It is solid. Now I just need a trailer to install it in!

David Purkey

EZ2.jpg

EZ1.jpg

Nice work. 

  • Thanks 1
  • Like 2

Steve, Tali and the dogs: Reacher and Rocky plus our beloved Storm, Maggie and Lucy (all waiting at the Rainbow Bridge)

2008 Legacy Elite I - Outlaw Oliver, Hull #026 | 2014 Legacy Elite II - Outlaw Oliver, Hull #050 | 2022 Silverado High Country 3500HD SRW Diesel 4x4 

 

             801469912_StatesVisitedTaliandSteve08-23-2021-I.jpg.26814499292ab76ee55b889b69ad3ef0.jpg1226003278_StatesVisitedTaliandSteve08-23-2021-H.jpg.dc46129cb4967a7fd2531b16699e9e45.jpg

 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 1 month later...

I'm catching up on some reading, I know this from a few months back, but @Ron and Phyllis it's great to hear someone else 
enjoying the Elite I like we do.  We use the beds the same way.  We do use the side bed in a permanent  setup like @David Purkey 
was considering.  I hope that is working out well.  We find we enjoy not having to setup/change the beds daily.  And we have 
pillows that allow us to use either the back area as a lounge area for us both sitting up w/feet up and watch TV together.  Or we 
have our "separate" areas and I'll use the dinette as my day-time lounge area with my wife in the rear.  We have some nice sized 
lap trays we use for the few times we eat in the camper.  We've had our trailer (Hull #36, third owners) for about 18 months and have 
found this to work out very well for us.  We all have our own ways of course, but again it's nice to hear about some shared views too.

  • Like 5

"Speak Friend and enter"

East TN | "3-Dozen", 2009 Oliver Legacy Elite Hull #36| Past: "Tiny Tot", 2016 T@B 320S T@bitha | TV: Nissan Armada

ALARILINTNVAsm.jpg

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
 Share

×
×
  • Create New...