Oof, bad time to buy a new tow vehicle...

badamsfx

This is an ad from our local Dodge dealer in Ventura, CA. I know there are supply shortages but this feels like highway robbery (pun unintentionally intended). I am hoping to get my Oliver in a couple of years and plan to special order a truck with just the features I want. I hope this nonsense is over with by that time. I will be spending my retirement dollars and don't want to just burn a wad of them.

its_true.jpg

• Haha 1
  • Wow 2
  • Sad 1

There are bound to be some dealers who are taking a long term view and not going to take advantage of their customers.  You may have to look a bit to find them and even buy an airplane ticket to get there, but I am sure they are out there.

Just glad I don't need a vehicle right now.  I have never paid above MSRP for a vehicle and don't want to start now...

• Like 3

• Moderators

That’s an unfortunate add on.  When I bought my Ram 2500 dealers here were taking that much, or more, off MSRP.  You might want to look out of state.  There are a number of dealers that specialize in long distance purchases with fair pricing.  Mike

• Like 5

Texas Hill Country | 2016 Elite II #135 | 2020 Ram 2500 6.7L

ALAZARCACOFLGAIDILKSKYLAMDMSMOMTNENVNMNYNCNDOHOKSCSDTNTXUTVAWVWYsm.jpgALAZARCACOCTDEFLGAIDILINIAKSKYLAMEMDMAMS

EF2945A6-2728-4632-92C7-A11BAFA854BA.thumb.png.b49a7d03e97002bc5a6f466ed47f5e9c.png

Fly up, drive home….. screw those rapacious markup dealers!

John Davies

Spokane WA

• Like 6

SOLD 07/23 "Mouse":  2017 Legacy Elite II Two Beds, Hull Number 218, See my HOW TO threads: https://olivertraveltrailers.com/topic/john-e-davies-how-to-threads-and-tech-articles-links/

Tow Vehicle: 2013 Land Cruiser 200, 32” LT tires, airbags, Safari snorkel, Maggiolina Grand Tour 360 Carbon RTT.

• Moderators

Carmax can be a good option.  I bought one car from them, a 2006 MINI Cooper S that was four years old.  Low mileage and fair price.  The day I picked it up I went straight to the BMW/MINI dealer and paid $120 for a complete bumper to bumper inspection resulting in a page of issues, mostly worn out seals and gaskets and a few other things.  The next day I drove it back to Carmax and showed them the inspection results.  They honored their 30 day warranty and fixed everything, about $2,300 of repairs.  Unless you buy something that is only a year or two old or has very few miles I would recommend a good inspection and a possible return visit to Carmax.  Mike

• Thanks 1
  • Like 7

Texas Hill Country | 2016 Elite II #135 | 2020 Ram 2500 6.7L

ALAZARCACOFLGAIDILKSKYLAMDMSMOMTNENVNMNYNCNDOHOKSCSDTNTXUTVAWVWYsm.jpgALAZARCACOCTDEFLGAIDILINIAKSKYLAMEMDMAMS

Just bought our TV for our new Ollie with an early Feb 2023 delivery date.  Ram 2500 Hemi Laramie 4x4 with the same 6'-4" bed and paid under MSRP in the Phoenix Area.   The Cummins is more expensive but also avail at or below MSRP.   Don't let them stick it to you, there are decent dealers out there. 

• Like 5

Mike & Marianne Hermann, Scottsdale AZ

2022 RAM 2500 Hemi 4x4

Elite II Hull #1337

Maybe consider a fly and drive? Now is one of the worst times I have ever seen to purchase a new or even a used vehicle. Low to no dealer inventory, long wait times for new orders and all the crazy market increases. No fun.

Wishing you the best in your search! 

• Like 3

2020 OLEII - Hull #634 aka-  “XPLOR” 

2021 F350 6.7 liter Diesel Lariat Ultimate Tremor aka- Beast

IMG_2879.jpeg

Friends from Texas found the same type of mark-up on a Ford F-150 in Texas.

They were temporarily working in Maine and bought the same Ford F-150 for the MSRP at a dealer in Maine.

• Like 5

2018 Oliver Elite II, Twin Bed, Hull #354 

2024 RAM 1500, 4 x 4; Gas. 5.7L V8 Hemi MDS VVT Torque; 3.21 rear axle ratio

Maine 

Talked to this Ford dealer in Iowa before buying the Tundra and he will order a F150 or Ranger or Maverick for 3% under MSRP. He will also order a F250 for 2% under MSRP. Last time I talked to him was late 2021.

Granger Ford

https://www.grangerford.com/

Contact Zach

1 - Our documentation fee is $180.
2 - There are NO mandatory add ons.
3 - There is a Non-Refundable $1000 deposit due at order.
4 - We will get you an electronic signature document with options, pricing, and details for your signature before placing the order.
5 - We do not participate in courtesy deliveries to other dealerships.
6 - We do accept trades! Because of the volatile trade market we can give you a trade value 30 days from delivery.

Found this information on the Ford Ranger Forum last year:

https://www.ranger5g.com/forum/threads/3-under-invoice-2022-ford-ranger-order.16068/

• Like 4

LE2

Ford HD trucks stacked up in a KY race track (one of many lots):

BDA716E8-D585-463F-B3CC-FFFC24CD4A57.thumb.webp.07954e8dee0eebc484b1b64e871aff09.webp

https://www.thedrive.com/news/unfinished-ford-trucks-keep-piling-up-in-massive-lots-visible-from-space

Anybody who orders a new truck should be prepared to wait a long time. I would also be very wary of any non-refundable deposits! Does anyone know how the other manufacturers are doing in terms of unsold truck inventory that is waiting for parts?

John Davies

Spokane WA

• Like 2

SOLD 07/23 "Mouse":  2017 Legacy Elite II Two Beds, Hull Number 218, See my HOW TO threads: https://olivertraveltrailers.com/topic/john-e-davies-how-to-threads-and-tech-articles-links/

Tow Vehicle: 2013 Land Cruiser 200, 32” LT tires, airbags, Safari snorkel, Maggiolina Grand Tour 360 Carbon RTT.

For what it's worth, here's my story. In mid-2000 I started shopping for my tow vehicle. I narrowed it down to what I have now, and started shopping nationwide using Cars.com. Using email cut down on the silly salesmen antics but sometimes I did have to talk on the phone. I had to ask each dealer to send me a build sheet of the truck I was looking at because sometimes their listings weren't accurate. I finally got my deal in Benton, Arkansas at Everett GMC. Couldn't have been easier. I got a one-way flight from San Francisco to Little Rock and stayed one night in a downtown hotel. (Had a good steak dinner that night too!) My salesman picked me up the next morning at the hotel and drove me 30 minutes to the dealership. I completed a little bit of paperwork, got the keys, and began a fun road trip back to California. Of course, California being California, the DMV required all sorts of stupid stuff (including a smog on a brand new truck!) but I got it registered without a hitch. I think I saved about $4k getting it out of state. Yes, the flight and hotel and fuel on the way home took some of that away, but it was a great trip. I even stopped for a factory tour at Oliver and met Anita. So, the point is, don't be afraid of looking out of state. You might just get a great deal.

• Like 1

2021 Elite II #841, 2020 GMC Sierra 1500 AT4, 3.0 diesel

• Moderators
6 hours ago, Cameron said:

I even stopped for a factory tour at Oliver and met Anita.

And, we all know that meeting Anita is worth every penny of that $4,000!😍

Bill

• Like 1
  • Love 1
  • Haha 1

2023 Ford F150 Lariat 3.5EB FX4 Max Towing, Max Payload, 2016 Oliver Elite II - Hull #117 "Twist"

Here in Eastern Canada, RAM dealer has many 1/2 ton truck in inventory with 5000$ incentive on them. But if you want a HD truck, you will pay the MSRP. I bought my RAM 3500 Laramie in last June at the MSRP price…..with the exchange rate, you could have a great deal here……

• Like 3

Elite2 2022, #1120. RAM 3500 Laramie 2022 diesel SRW

Quebec, Canada

previous rig:  35 foot fifth wheel with Ford f350 2018 diesel DRW 

23 hours ago, John E Davies said:

Ford HD trucks stacked up in a KY race track (one of many lots):

BDA716E8-D585-463F-B3CC-FFFC24CD4A57.thumb.webp.07954e8dee0eebc484b1b64e871aff09.webp

https://www.thedrive.com/news/unfinished-ford-trucks-keep-piling-up-in-massive-lots-visible-from-space

Anybody who orders a new truck should be prepared to wait a long time. I would also be very wary of any non-refundable deposits! Does anyone know how the other manufacturers are doing in terms of unsold truck inventory that is waiting for parts?

John Davies

Spokane WA

Here's another "for what's it worth story". 

If you zoom in real close, I think my new truck is located in the bottom right corner, Florida panhandle looking lot. It's the white one.

Your 2022 SuperDuty F-350 XLT has been "Built" and is currently awaiting shipment.

timeline-awaiting-shipment.jpg

Built

Your vehicle has been built and we are arranging shipment to your dealer. This step could take a few days to a week. Select the "Learn About Your Vehicle" link for information and videos about your new vehicle.

Ford Accessories 
  • Order Confirmed 02/08/2022, Step 1 of 5 , Completed

Order Confirmed02/08/2022  

• In Production 08/22/2022, Step 2 of 5 , Completed

In Production08/22/2022  

• Built 09/13/2022, Step 3 of 5 , In Progress

Built09/13/2022  

• Shipped Step 4 of 5

Shipped 

• Final Preparation TBD, Step 5 of 5

Final Preparation 

Vehicle Details