Storage area for miscellaneous items?

eyost

Hi all,

We have a Little Guy Max trailer that unfortunately was rear ended by a tractor trailer and more than likely is totaled. So, we are considering an Ollie. The Max had storage area that I call the basement that made it convenient to store items like wheel chocks, exterior rug, leveling blocks, water hoses, sewer hoses, power cables, etc. 

In looking at the Ollie, I don't see an external storage area but it might be hiding from me. Where do y'all store items like this?

Thanks for any information,

Ed

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

Sorry about your Little Guy. The Elite 2 has an exterior "basement" compartment in the back, accessible from the street side. It'll hold 1 long milk crate and 1 regular milk crate with a little room to spare for a few other things. That's where we keep our hoses, cables, electrical adapters, and a box of disposable gloves. I also keep a couple pairs of shoes in there, accessible from the optional interior hatch.

We keep all the chocks and leveling blocks in the front basket. Super convenient.

• Like 4

Stephanie and Dudley from CT.  2022 LE2, Hull #1150: Eggcelsior.

Tow vehicle: 2016 GMC Sierra 6.0 gas dually 4x4.

Our Oliver journey: Steph and Dud B's RV Screed

Where we've been RVing since 1999:

ALAZCACOCTDEFLGAIDILINIAKYLAMEMDMAMIMNMSMOMTNENVNHNMNYNCNDOHOKORPASCSDTNTXUTVTVAWAWVWIWYmed.jpg.b96241bad6752dec89d25af6ffbc8d99.jpg

Sewer hoses store in the back bumper (one of the nice Oliver design features that you don’t find on other trailers), and that’s where the drain connection is.  Most owners just leave the hose connected to the drain inside the bumper, and cap the end of the hose.   I see a lot of other trailer brands with the sewer pipes and valves hanging way down below the frame, unprotected from road hazards.  

A7C8AA4D-9DCC-4286-B50F-AEE33FF99A2F.jpeg

• Like 6

1 hour ago, eyost said:

Hi all,

We have a Little Guy Max trailer that unfortunately was rear ended by a tractor trailer and more than likely is totaled. So, we are considering an Ollie. The Max had storage area that I call the basement that made it convenient to store items like wheel chocks, exterior rug, leveling blocks, water hoses, sewer hoses, power cables, etc. 

In looking at the Ollie, I don't see an external storage area but it might be hiding from me. Where do y'all store items like this?

Thanks for any information,

Ed

So sorry about your LGM. The Ollie does have a garage and the option to access it both from outside and inside. Here is a video that shows the garage storage. 

• Like 3

2021 Dodge Ram 1500 

2021 Oliver Elite ll 

Hull #732 

Michigan 

We keep it fairly simple when storing our water hoses, water filters, LP quick connect hose, (2) 30 amp cords and other miscellaneous items in the basement of our Ollie. We ordered a three pack of these milk crates. Two fit nicely into the basement and a third holds 6 gallons of fresh drinking water in our TV bed. We like the crates as they quickly air dry should any residual water drip out of the fresh water hoses after storing them.
Our twin bed Ollie allows for quick easy access to the open top crate contents from the interior night stand (optional) basement access door if you want to store footwear or other items.  

Happy Camping!
-Patriot

836F67E9-1A36-4074-80DD-8759832ED02A.thumb.png.9f2eba27ae9353c797f02290beabcd74.png

• Like 3

2020 OLEII - Hull #634 aka-  “XPLOR” 

2021 F350 6.7 liter Diesel Lariat Ultimate Tremor aka- Beast

IMG_2879.jpeg

Coming from a Little Guy Max, are you looking at the Elite I or the Elite II?  As noted above, the Elite II has a basement storage area.  As I recall, the Elite I does not.

I recommend you view the excellent 2021 model walkthrough videos available on the Oliver website.

• Like 3

Hull #1291

Central Idaho

2022 Elite II

Tow Vehicle:  2019 Tundra Double Cab 4x4, 5.7L with tow package

ARCOIDNMOKORTNTXUTsm.jpg

4 hours ago, Rivernerd said:

Coming from a Little Guy Max, are you looking at the Elite I or the Elite II?  As noted above, the Elite II has a basement storage area.  As I recall, the Elite I does not.

Because of the weight and price, we are looking first at the Elite I. Our current tow vehicle is a Toyota Sequoia but I am uncertain that it could handle the Elite II.

Thoughts?

Ed

• Like 2

33 minutes ago, eyost said:

Our current tow vehicle is a Toyota Sequoia but I am uncertain that it could handle the Elite II.

Thoughts?

It depends on whether your Sequoia has the big engine and the tow package.  Lots of Elite II owners tow with Tundras and Sequoias.  We plan to tow our Elite II with a 2019 Tundra, with the 5.7LV8 and the tow package.  If your Sequoia is comparably equipped, you should be o.k.  But, you will need an Andersen weight distribution hitch, the only one that works well with Olivers.

The most significant limiting factor will likely be your payload capacity, which should be listed on a sticker inside the driver's door.  A loaded Elite II will likely have a tongue weight of between 550 and 600 lbs.  Tongue weight is added to occupant and cargo weight to determine total payload.  Don't exceed the payload capacity listed on your sticker.

• Like 4

Hull #1291

Central Idaho

2022 Elite II

Tow Vehicle:  2019 Tundra Double Cab 4x4, 5.7L with tow package

ARCOIDNMOKORTNTXUTsm.jpg

• Moderator+

According to Toyota, the 2023 Sequoia (in 2WD) will have a maximum tow rating of 9,520 pounds. A 4WD version of this third-row SUV will only be able to tow about 9,100 pounds. The full-size, truck-based SUV with the highest tow rating is Stellantis' Wagoneer/Grand Wagoneer. 

The 2022 and earlier models were limited to 7000 pounds and maybe a bit more. That’s cutting it close on safety and capability. 

• Like 5

Steve, Tali and our dog Rocky plus our beloved Storm, Maggie, Lucy and Reacher (all waiting at the Rainbow Bridge)

2008 Legacy Elite I - Outlaw Oliver, Hull #026 | 2014 Legacy Elite II - Outlaw Oliver, Hull #050 | 2022 Silverado High Country 3500HD SRW Diesel 4x4 

801469912_StatesVisitedTaliandSteve08-23-2021-I.jpg.26814499292ab76ee55b889b69ad3ef0.jpg1226003278_StatesVisitedTaliandSteve08-23-2021-H.jpg.dc46129cb4967a7fd2531b16699e9e45.jpg

• Moderators

Unless something has changed, our shorty elites have no outside accessible storage, other than the bumper space for sewer hose. 

I'd say a 7000 pound tow rating would be fine with the shorty elite. Too close to maximum with the larger elite 2, as @scubarx said, unless you're willing to really put your trailer and gear on a serious  diet, and stick with it. 

I'm happier if tow vehicle weighs more than loaded trailer, and trailer weight is the old thumb rule of 80 per cent of towing capacity.

Can it work? Sure, in flats and mild hills. You won't likely be happy with a maxed out weight trailer behind any vehicle. It just is not as enjoyable. Or nearly as safe.

• Like 3

2008 Ram 1500 4 × 4

2008 Oliver Elite, Hull #12

Florida and Western North Carolina, or wherever the truck goes....

400 watts solar. DC compressor fridge. No inverter. 2 x 105 ah agm batteries .  Life is good.

• Moderators

Btw,,we're average sized people, im 5'4" or so, husband 5' 11" or so, and the elite has served us well for 15 seasons. 

Do I wish we had a queen bed instead of full? Yes, of course, but we don't.

Plenty of storage,  for us. Everything we need, nothing we don't,  as far as equipment.  We camp with one tiny dog, under 10 pounds. She sleeps on the small dinette cushion seat. 

We store three bins of stuff under the bed, as we keep the large dinette made into a bed, all the time.

• Like 3

2008 Ram 1500 4 × 4

2008 Oliver Elite, Hull #12

Florida and Western North Carolina, or wherever the truck goes....

400 watts solar. DC compressor fridge. No inverter. 2 x 105 ah agm batteries .  Life is good.

On 9/21/2022 at 9:34 PM, Steph and Dud B said:

Sorry about your Little Guy. The Elite 2 has an exterior "basement" compartment in the back, accessible from the street side. It'll hold 1 long milk crate and 1 regular milk crate with a little room to spare for a few other things. That's where we keep our hoses, cables, electrical adapters, and a box of disposable gloves. I also keep a couple pairs of shoes in there, accessible from the optional interior hatch.

We keep all the chocks and leveling blocks in the front basket. Super convenient.

Thanks so much for the information - quite helpful.

Ed

On 9/21/2022 at 9:48 PM, Frank C said:

Sewer hoses store in the back bumper (one of the nice Oliver design features that you don’t find on other trailers), and that’s where the drain connection is.  Most owners just leave the hose connected to the drain inside the bumper, and cap the end of the hose.   I see a lot of other trailer brands with the sewer pipes and valves hanging way down below the frame, unprotected from road hazards.  

A7C8AA4D-9DCC-4286-B50F-AEE33FF99A2F.jpeg

That bumper design is very slick. Makes it much quicker at the dump station.

Thanks,

Ed

• Like 1

On 9/22/2022 at 3:55 AM, Patriot said:

We keep it fairly simple when storing our water hoses, water filters, LP quick connect hose, (2) 30 amp cords and other miscellaneous items in the basement of our Ollie. We ordered a three pack of these milk crates. Two fit nicely into the basement and a third holds 6 gallons of fresh drinking water in our TV bed. We like the crates as they quickly air dry should any residual water drip out of the fresh water hoses after storing them.
Our twin bed Ollie allows for quick easy access to the open top crate contents from the interior night stand (optional) basement access door if you want to store footwear or other items.  

Happy Camping!
-Patriot

836F67E9-1A36-4074-80DD-8759832ED02A.thumb.png.9f2eba27ae9353c797f02290beabcd74.png

Thanks so much for the information.

• Like 2

On 9/22/2022 at 3:22 PM, Rivernerd said:

It depends on whether your Sequoia has the big engine and the tow package.  Lots of Elite II owners tow with Tundras and Sequoias.  We plan to tow our Elite II with a 2019 Tundra, with the 5.7LV8 and the tow package.  If your Sequoia is comparably equipped, you should be o.k.  But, you will need an Andersen weight distribution hitch, the only one that works well with Olivers.

The most significant limiting factor will likely be your payload capacity, which should be listed on a sticker inside the driver's door.  A loaded Elite II will likely have a tongue weight of between 550 and 600 lbs.  Tongue weight is added to occupant and cargo weight to determine total payload.  Don't exceed the payload capacity listed on your sticker.

Thanks for the information.

Ed

• Like 1

On 9/22/2022 at 4:01 PM, ScubaRx said:

According to Toyota, the 2023 Sequoia (in 2WD) will have a maximum tow rating of 9,520 pounds. A 4WD version of this third-row SUV will only be able to tow about 9,100 pounds. The full-size, truck-based SUV with the highest tow rating is Stellantis' Wagoneer/Grand Wagoneer. 

The 2022 and earlier models were limited to 7000 pounds and maybe a bit more. That’s cutting it close on safety and capability. 

Yes, the 2023 Sequoias sure do like nice and have a great towing ability. Not sure I want to swap my 2019 to a newer model that is improving with a new engine design, etc.

Still - they sure do look nice.

8 hours ago, eyost said:

Yes, the 2023 Sequoias sure do like nice and have a great towing ability. Not sure I want to swap my 2019 to a newer model that is improving with a new engine design, etc.

Personally I would not consider any SUV or 1/2 ton pick up a “great towing vehicle” after towing with a one ton diesel F 350. We started out towing our Oliver LE2 with an 2014 Tundra with an WDH hitch. It towed ok, but really worked hard in the mountain passes. We soon sold and moved to a much safer and capable TV.
We took a hard pass on the 2022 Toyota Tundra for our needs as we felt it was a marginal TV with regard to 1400# cargo capacity, braking, and power after crunching the numbers. 1400 lbs or 1500 lbs of pay load is splitting hairs with regard to being well with in safe legal cargo limits with what we carry. I don’t want to think about how much cargo capacity I am crunching numbers on..ever.

Even if you weekend camp with an empty Oliver you may still be really pushing the limits of your cargo capacity when it comes to insurance consequences IF something goes wrong. We presently tow with a one ton diesel and enjoy the mpgs, power, diesel engine brake and especially the total comfort level.

Don’t let the tail wag the dog. 😊

Patriot 🇺🇸

• Like 4

2020 OLEII - Hull #634 aka-  “XPLOR” 

2021 F350 6.7 liter Diesel Lariat Ultimate Tremor aka- Beast

IMG_2879.jpeg

• Moderator+
On 9/25/2022 at 5:41 PM, eyost said:

As I previously stated, "the 2023 Sequoia (in 2WD) will have a maximum tow rating of 9,520 pounds". I don't personally consider that, 'a great towing ability'. It's an OK towing ability and is probably adequate for an Elite II under most conditions. But, most folks aren't going to want a 2WD and will opt for a 4WD which will further reduces the towing capacity as will any of the options that we add to make our tow vehicles into something we actually want to own and drive.

Unless you are Scarlett Johansson or Audrey Hepburn, good looks won't get you too far down the road.

• Like 2

Steve, Tali and our dog Rocky plus our beloved Storm, Maggie, Lucy and Reacher (all waiting at the Rainbow Bridge)

2008 Legacy Elite I - Outlaw Oliver, Hull #026 | 2014 Legacy Elite II - Outlaw Oliver, Hull #050 | 2022 Silverado High Country 3500HD SRW Diesel 4x4 

801469912_StatesVisitedTaliandSteve08-23-2021-I.jpg.26814499292ab76ee55b889b69ad3ef0.jpg1226003278_StatesVisitedTaliandSteve08-23-2021-H.jpg.dc46129cb4967a7fd2531b16699e9e45.jpg

On 9/21/2022 at 9:34 PM, Steph and Dud B said:

Our basement (hull 414, last 2018 model produced) holds two small and one large milk crate.  The two smalls go on the right side where it's deepest, and the large crate is on the left side of the compartment.  There is also some additional space on the right ahead of the two smaller crates for other "stuff". We too put all of our landing gear (chocks, levelers, blocks, etc) in the front basket when we don't bring the 3500W generator with us.  When we carry the generator, we put the landing gear baskets in the very rear of the pickup bed so it's right there when we drop the tailgate.

• Like 3

2018 Elite II, Hull #414 (the very last 2018 produced).  Trailer name "2 HOBOS" .   2018 F250 4X4 Crew Cab, 6.7L diesel