Dometic Gas Stove doesn't ignite

• Moderators

Is it just one burner, or neither will light?

Do you hear or smell any gas when you hold in the button? Can you light it with a match, but not the piezo igniter? 

Does it light, then go out? Hold the button in longer, and see if it will stay lit.

• Like 2

2008 Ram 1500 4 × 4

2008 Oliver Elite, Hull #12

Florida and Western North Carolina, or wherever the truck goes....

400 watts solar. DC compressor fridge. No inverter. 2 x 105 ah agm batteries .  Life is good.

Both burners do not ignite.  No smell of gas present.  Button igniter tries to ignite, but no gas is present.  Have tried lighting with butane lighter to no avail.

Burners just are not getting any gas to them.  Doesn't seem to be a easy way to check the jets.  

Any ideas?

Charlie

Hull 734 - 2021 Oliver Elite II

pulled by F-150

Out of Florida

Has the stove worked in the past?

Are  you pushing and holding the knob in? At that time you should hear or smell gas?

If there is then flowing gas, you can then push the igniter in but need to hold the knob  in for a time for it to settle in?

• Like 3

2018 Oliver Elite II, Twin Bed, Hull #354 

2024 RAM 1500, 4 x 4; Gas. 5.7L V8 Hemi MDS VVT Torque; 3.21 rear axle ratio

Maine 

When no fuel is reaching a propane burner, but other propane appliances are receiving fuel, the most likely cause is blockage in the line supplying that burner, or the burner orifice.  Have you tried CAREFULLY and gently sticking something small, metal and flexible (like an unfolded steel paper clip) into the burner orifice to see it maybe there a small piece of debris stuck in it?

• Like 1

Hull #1291

Central Idaho

2022 Elite II

Tow Vehicle:  2019 Tundra Double Cab 4x4, 5.7L with tow package

ARCOIDNMOKORTNTXUTsm.jpg

• Moderators

Well, still some questions in my mind before you dive into checking the jets. (In my experience,  it's highly unlikely that the jets on both burners would clog up at the very same time.) Accessing the jet is a multistep  process, and probably best done by a service tech with proper tools, if you're not an experienced rv diyer. The jet orifice is very small. (Always, if working on a gas appliance,  turn off the lp first.)

How much have you used your cooktop? 

Are you pushing  in the control knob completely, on "high" or "light", whichever setting you have, and continuing to push in while you try to light the burner?  This is a safety feature on rv stoves. Once lit, you still have to hold the knob  in until the thermocouple heats up enough to allow gas to continue to flow. (On my older smev, it's a slow count of three.) So, double safety. 

If you're following the above procedures, neither burner gets gas, and your cooktop hasn't been messed up by boilovers,  Etc., I'd open a service ticket. 

Also, please add your info to your signature,  or add info about your trailer in your post. 

Best of luck.

• Thanks 1
  • Like 2

2008 Ram 1500 4 × 4

400 watts solar. DC compressor fridge. No inverter. 2 x 105 ah agm batteries .  Life is good.

we had this problem when we stayed at a Peak One National Forest in Frisco CO at about 9000 feet. When we came back down below 9000 everything started working again. We opened a service ticket at the time and in the end we (and Oliver service) wrote it off to the altitude. Not very satisfying but have not had a problem since, and we've not tried using it much above 7500 feet either so I'm not sure that was the problem but it's what we're going with. 

• Like 1

spacer.png

Albert & Terri Sterns

Paonia, Colorado

Elite II Hull #1125 Standard Floorplan / 2017 Ford F250 gas

6 hours ago, Rivernerd said:

Have you tried CAREFULLY and gently sticking something small, metal and flexible (like an unfolded steel paper clip) into the burner orifice to see it maybe there a small piece of debris stuck in it?

Please do not jam a paper clip into a precision brass orifice, carefully or otherwise.  You’ll create additional problems for yourself, likely expensive.  If you decide this is necessary (unlikely on a newer trailer), you’ll need a probe softer than the brass jet, think more like broom straw, brush bristle, or my favorite, a single strand from a multi strand copper wire.  I’ve cleaned dozens (hundreds?) of jets on small engines and RV appliances.  Please don’t ruin your jet by ‘cleaning’ it with a paperclip.

• Like 2

2013 Toyota Land Cruiser 200

2018 Twin Bed Elite II #351

5 hours ago, SeaDawg said:

Are you pushing  in the control knob completely, on "high" or "light", whichever setting you have, and continuing to push in while you try to light the burner?  This is a safety feature on rv stoves. Once lit, you still have to hold the knob  in until the thermocouple heats up enough to allow gas to continue to flow. (On my older smev, it's a slow count of three.) So, double safety. 

If you're following the above procedures, neither burner gets gas, and your cooktop hasn't been messed up by boilovers,  Etc., I'd open a service ticket.

I agree with following up with this.  

5 hours ago, SeaDawg said:

Also, please add your info to your signature,  or add info about your trailer in your post. 

I also agree with this.   Please add your info to your signature or to your post.  

• Like 1

2013 Toyota Land Cruiser 200

2018 Twin Bed Elite II #351

• Moderators
10 hours ago, AlbertNTerri said:

we had this problem when we stayed at a Peak One National Forest in Frisco CO at about 9000 feet. When we came back down below 9000 everything started working again. We opened a service ticket at the time and in the end we (and Oliver service) wrote it off to the altitude. Not very satisfying but have not had a problem since, and we've not tried using it much above 7500 feet either so I'm not sure that was the problem but it's what we're going with. 

I agree that’s not a good solution.  We camped in State Forest State Park just north of Rocky Mountain National Park this summer.  We were at about 9,200’, boondocking.  The cooktop worked fine as did the fridge and hot water tank.  My Weber Q1000 fired right up as did the Blackstone.  Mike

• Like 1

Texas Hill Country | 2016 Elite II #135 | 2020 Ram 2500 6.7L

ALAZARCACOFLGAIDILKSKYLAMDMSMOMTNENVNMNYNCNDOHOKSCSDTNTXUTVAWVWYsm.jpgALAZARCACOCTDEFLGAIDILINIAKSKYLAMEMDMAMS

I want to thank all of you for your suggestions.  Since the other gas appliances were all working, you were right that it had to be some problem with the gas feed for the stove alone.  Since both burners were not working, the main supply to the stove must have had an air blockage for some reason.  No, I would not stick anything into the brass orifices that could damage them.  I was about to take the top of the stove off by removing the two screws that hold it in, but I had a brainstorm.

That was, why not try my portable car vac (armorall)?  I plugged it into the ceiling circular orifice that is similar to the old cigarette lighters cars used to have back in the "good old days".  Flipped over the builtin crevice tool on the vac, and vacuumed around each burner, figuring I might either dislodge something, or even create suction on the jets.

Voila!  Both burners light...without disassembling the stove top!  

Once again, this camper is happy, and can now eat inside our land yacht!  

Again...A big thankyou goes out to all of you.

Charlie

Citrus Breeze

• Like 8

Charlie

Hull 734 - 2021 Oliver Elite II

pulled by F-150

Out of Florida

9 hours ago, Citrus breeze said:

why not try my portable car vac (armorall)?

Smart idea.  Glad it worked.

And, smarter than my paper clip suggestion.  Should I encounter a burner issue, I will try your portable vacuum method.

• Like 1

Hull #1291

Central Idaho

2022 Elite II

Tow Vehicle:  2019 Tundra Double Cab 4x4, 5.7L with tow package

ARCOIDNMOKORTNTXUTsm.jpg

• Moderators
41 minutes ago, Rivernerd said:

Smart idea.  Glad it worked.

And, smarter than my paper clip suggestion.  Should I encounter a burner issue, I will try your portable vacuum method.

I'd probably use canned compressed air, instead. I  have used that in the past. 

Or, dismantle,  and clean jet with chemical. 

Turn off lp first. 

• Like 1

2008 Ram 1500 4 × 4

• Moderator+

Good thinking with the vacuum. That way, if the air movement dislodged the blockage, it would be pulled out. I tried to unblock an air hose years ago that had a dirt dauber nest in one end by hooking it up to a compressor. All I managed to do was to push the nest deeper into the hose. I was finally able to get it cleaned out with water and more air.

Thanks for adding information to your signature. I modified it slightly by adding your model year - 2021. The reason for this is since Oliver has made numerous changes in components and options over the years, when posting related to these, listing your Oliver’s year and model, and the brand of the components makes the group’s responses much more informed.

• Like 2

Steve, Tali and our dog Rocky plus our beloved Storm, Maggie, Lucy and Reacher (all waiting at the Rainbow Bridge)

2008 Legacy Elite I - Outlaw Oliver, Hull #026 | 2014 Legacy Elite II - Outlaw Oliver, Hull #050 | 2022 Silverado High Country 3500HD SRW Diesel 4x4 

801469912_StatesVisitedTaliandSteve08-23-2021-I.jpg.26814499292ab76ee55b889b69ad3ef0.jpg1226003278_StatesVisitedTaliandSteve08-23-2021-H.jpg.dc46129cb4967a7fd2531b16699e9e45.jpg