How to get the bugs off!

Katjo

What’s everyone’s favorite product to get the splattered bugs off their Ollie? 
looking for recommendations of products you use and links if you have it. 

2021 Dodge Ram 1500 

2021 Oliver Elite ll 

Hull #732 

Michigan 

• Moderators

Elbow grease?😄

Used fabric softener dryer sheets with spray wax/detailer of your choice.

Bill

Edited by topgun2
spelling
  • Like 2

2023 Ford F150 Lariat 3.5EB FX4 Max Towing, Max Payload, 2016 Oliver Elite II - Hull #117 "Twist"

• Moderators

A hose, a bucket of water with car wash soap, a soft carwash brush,  and microfiber cloths. And, topgun2's brand if elbow grease.

Good microfiber cloths actually make pretty quick work of bugs, without a lot of work. (Our trailer is waxed twice a year. Prevention is the best policy, imo.)

• Like 5

2008 Ram 1500 4 × 4

2008 Oliver Elite, Hull #12

Florida and Western North Carolina, or wherever the truck goes....

400 watts solar. DC compressor fridge. No inverter. 2 x 105 ah agm batteries .  Life is good.

2 hours ago, topgun2 said:

Elbow grease?😄

Used fabric softener dryer sheets with spray was/detailer of your choice.

Bill

Interesting! Will give it a try. Thank you 

2021 Dodge Ram 1500 

2021 Oliver Elite ll 

Hull #732 

Michigan 

@SeaDawg We’ve had our Ollie custom detailed and we’ve also waxed it ourselves twice this season, we use Rockguard mud flaps and that helps but those bugs splat like paint and stick like glue!😬 Using elbow grease is an understatement. We do use microfiber cloths, I’m a big fan of microfiber cloths for inside and out.👍🏼

• Like 2

2021 Dodge Ram 1500 

2021 Oliver Elite ll 

Hull #732 

Michigan 

• Moderators

I like the yellow microfiber from costco, and the yellow ones from restaurant depot. The ones from harbor freight and Walmart don't work as well, for some reason.

I know you have a lot more bugs up your way. But I  learned that trick in Alaska, where I was having trouble removing several weeks of bugs from an unwaxed rv.

A nice lady at Northern energy's free carwash in Tok gave me a microfiber cloth, and voila...well, elbow grease, and voila. Maybe we'd soaked it longer with the free cold water wash?

Good luck. 

• Like 2

2008 Ram 1500 4 × 4

2008 Oliver Elite, Hull #12

Florida and Western North Carolina, or wherever the truck goes....

400 watts solar. DC compressor fridge. No inverter. 2 x 105 ah agm batteries .  Life is good.

If you camp in humid areas where morning dews are common, wait until the trailer and your truck are wet - the bugs have soaked overnight (“hydrated”) and come off a lot more easily in the morning. 

John Davies

Spokane WA

• Like 8

SOLD 07/23 "Mouse":  2017 Legacy Elite II Two Beds, Hull Number 218, See my HOW TO threads: https://olivertraveltrailers.com/topic/john-e-davies-how-to-threads-and-tech-articles-links/

Tow Vehicle: 2013 Land Cruiser 200, 32” LT tires, airbags, Safari snorkel, Maggiolina Grand Tour 360 Carbon RTT.

On 10/1/2022 at 6:16 PM, Katjo said:

looking for recommendations of products you use and links if you have it. 

try ceramic coating on front end of ollie washes off with a hose. so easy  bugs do not stick..  took me a whole day washing, wiping off with alcohol and  doing 2'squares at a time.  lasts a year.  incredible shine and so easy to clean

• Like 2

28 minutes ago, Buddhabelly said:

You can also use Turtle Wax Graphene/Cermaic wax.  This stuff works great on the whole trailer and tow vehicle.  Best part is it isn't effected by the sun.  Won't melt like wax.

Will give it a try. Thank you! 

2021 Dodge Ram 1500 

2021 Oliver Elite ll 

Hull #732 

Michigan 

On 10/1/2022 at 7:16 PM, Katjo said:

I have used this product for many years on trucks, motorcycles and campers. Take a look at BugSlide and decided for yourself.

You will be surprised and it is gentle on all surfaces.

Safe Travels,

Brian

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, Brian and Brandelyne said:

I have used this product for many years on trucks, motorcycles and campers. Take a look at BugSlide and decided for yourself.

You will be surprised and it is gentle on all surfaces.

Safe Travels,

Brian

Thank you so much Brian for the recommendation. 

We recently tried Bugs Off and it works like a dream. 

• Like 2

2021 Dodge Ram 1500 

2021 Oliver Elite ll 

Hull #732 

Michigan 

Agree with John - soaked, wet bugs come off a lot easier.  I usually give our Ollie a hand wash in the driveway after a trip.  I soak the bugs with water/carwash soap solution then wash the whole trailer leaving the bug-covered front for last.  While washing and rinsing, I will hit the bugs with a stream of water and more soap from the soft car wash brush I use.  Finally, use the soft brush or microfiber cloth and they come off pretty easy after soaking.  Keeping the front polished with a good coat of wax twice a year helps too.

• Like 6

2020 Elite II #627, 2021 Silverado 1500 3.0L Duramax, Colorado

• 3 weeks later...

I think using Spray 9 on vehicles is a VERY bad idea. I have no personal experience but I found a thread about it.

“It will strip anything he has for protection on the paint. It has a PH of around 13.5 and will melt tree sap. It is a good grease remover that does clean, and sanitize, a lot of surfaces. I use it around the house quite a bit because of it's germ, virus, odor and mold etc. killing effect. It is a very versatile product. He is cleaning his paint for sure but is leaving it with no sacrificial layer and open to attack from the elements.”

https://www.autogeekonline.net/forum/auto-detailing-101-a/71894-spray-nine.html

There are a lot of products that are effective, but some are really hard on your finish, for example Dawn dishwashing liquid. I will use it to intentionally strip off wax. Most detailing sprays contain carnauba wax, I use Griots Speed Shine which does not have any, so it is safe for use with a clay bar prior to applying Rejex (which must be applied to a WAX FREE base). It isn’t a super effective cleanser by itself, but it is completely harmless to your paint or gelcoat..

Always start with a mild cleaning product, then progress up to the more harsh ones if necessary. Leave the Spray 9 for crime scene cleanup….😬

John Davies

Spokane WA

• Like 1

SOLD 07/23 "Mouse":  2017 Legacy Elite II Two Beds, Hull Number 218, See my HOW TO threads: https://olivertraveltrailers.com/topic/john-e-davies-how-to-threads-and-tech-articles-links/

Tow Vehicle: 2013 Land Cruiser 200, 32” LT tires, airbags, Safari snorkel, Maggiolina Grand Tour 360 Carbon RTT.

My go to gear:

Microfiber towels, two buckets, Meguires 54 Gel Wash and an adjustable flow-thru brush.  Presoak while washing a side, return, wash side, return, wash back, return to the front and the bugs pretty much hose off.  Not a lot of elbow grease needed, except on me the next day as a liniment. 

image.png.a2ab79f97f8ea177f3793ab8c2f1ed26.pngimage.png.be1b80357c75ac4d70801814b9fdae24.png

• Thanks 1
  • Like 1

TV:  2019 F-150 SuperCrew Lariat, 3.5L EcoBoost, Max Tow, FX-4, Rear Locker      OLLIE:  2018 OE2 Hull 342, Twin Bed.    OLLIE DYI’s:  BB LiFePO4's, Victron 712 Smart, 350 Amp Master Switch, Houghton 3400, Victron Orion DC - DC, 3000-Watt Renogy Inverter, P.D. 60-amp Converter, Frig Dual Exhaust Fans, Kitchen Drawer Straps.    TV DYI’s:  2 5/16" Anderson System, Timken Bearings, Nitto recon’s, Firestone Rear Air Bags, Bilstein 5100’s, Mud Flaps & Weather Tech all.

image.jpeg.9633acdfb75740f0fd358e1a5118f105.jpeg

7 hours ago, Geronimo John said:

My go to gear:

Microfiber towels, two buckets, Meguires 54 Gel Wash and an adjustable flow-thru brush.  Presoak while washing a side, return, wash side, return, wash back, return to the front and the bugs pretty much hose off.  Not a lot of elbow grease needed, except on me the next day as a liniment. 

image.png.a2ab79f97f8ea177f3793ab8c2f1ed26.pngimage.png.be1b80357c75ac4d70801814b9fdae24.png

We are big fans of Meguiars products but never tried this gel wash. Thank you for the recommendation.👍🏼

2021 Dodge Ram 1500 

2021 Oliver Elite ll 

Hull #732 

Michigan 

I use a microfiber cloth with 3m Perfect-It Light Cutting Polish + Wax.  Takes any black streaks off very easily too as long as there's already a good coat of wax on the hull.. 

• Thanks 1

2010 Elite II, Hull #45.  2014 Toyota Sequoia Platinum 4WD 5.7 with tow package.

Before we head out, I apply a quick coat of ultima paint guard plus Ultima Paint Guard plus (pricey but is great and super easy to apply - wipe on, no need to buff or wipe off) - provides good UV protection and pollution protection for the gelcoat.

With recent wax, after pressure washing most all the splats come off.  

For the remaining splats, we use Citrol spray.  We spray it on the remaining bugs, let is sit half a minute or so, then use a very mild white scrubby sponge if needed. (Warning - never use a "green" colored scrubby sponge on gelcoat it will scratch it horribly)

Finally, we ensure we wash off the Citrol spray with some mild soap.

Does the Citrol remove the Ultima Paint Guard?  I am sure it does somewhat.  However, the great hydrophobic properties of this paint sealant remain after one or two applications.   

Does the sponge scratch the gel coat?  Not that one can see visually is bright sunlight.  

Hope this helps!

image.png.7142eaf35efc1f3a3a69c99ebdc03590.png    image.png.1c784d21049ca9e8967f43a736d65e76.png  image.png.ad30279bbead027393074c6afae6c145.png

• Thanks 1

SE Texas  | 2021 Elite II  Twin Bed # 927  "Lucy"  |  2019 F250 FX4 6.7

On 10/2/2022 at 7:56 AM, topgun2 said:

Elbow grease?😄

Used fabric softener dryer sheets with spray wax/detailer of your choice.

Bill

Bill, I bought Rejex, microfiber towels and dryer sheets.  I thought I would apply some Rejex to the front before leaving Tennessee.  It's warm now until we leave on Friday, at which point it drops into the teens at night on our route home.  Probably need to winterize before we go.  I was hoping the cold weather would hold off.

John

John and Debbie, Beaverton, Oregon,  2017 Ford Expedition EL 4x4 3.5 liter Ecoboost, with heavy duty tow package. Hull #1290, twin bed with Truma package (a/c, furnace, hot water heater with electric antifreeze option), lithium pro package, picked up November 7, 2022

spacer.png