Should I ever turn off solar?

LoriL

We have a 2022 Elite 1.  When we are not using it, I typically turn off the lithium batteries at less than 100%.  Should I turn off the Solar? It seems to wake and sleep on its own , so I have never done anything.  Am I missing something?

Thanks for your help,

Lori

204DFD05-D510-4991-B1F2-90ADC1C261CF.jpg

• Like 2

I think the easiest way to think of solar is it's just another battery charger.  If you don't want anything charging your batteries, include solar in your list of chargers to turn off.  I have Lithium batteries as well, and I don't keep any of my battery chargers on all of the time because the Lithiums don't always like to be at or near 100% as you mentioned.  Our hull #688 (2020) has a nice solar cutoff switch in the cabinet above the street side bed.  Hope this helps!

• Thanks 1
  • Like 4

States Visited Map

2020 Elite II, Hull 688 --- 2021 Silverado 2500HD, 6.6L Duramax Diesel

I have three 100 aH Battleborns in our Ollie.  It is stored covered in OK on top of a mountain in a dark barn for about 8 months or so a year.   Per Dragon Fly, in my situtation I was told to fully charge and balance the batteries, then discharge them to 60% SOC.  Their recommendation was as a result of hard freeze and long duration conditions.  

Point is if you have Lithium's, recommend you call your MFG and get the procedure for your storage situtation.

GJ

• Like 3

TV:  2019 F-150 SuperCrew Lariat, 3.5L EcoBoost, Max Tow, FX-4, Rear Locker      OLLIE:  2018 OE2 Hull 342, Twin Bed.    OLLIE DYI’s:  BB LiFePO4's, Victron 712 Smart, 350 Amp Master Switch, Houghton 3400, Victron Orion DC - DC, 3000-Watt Renogy Inverter, P.D. 60-amp Converter, Frig Dual Exhaust Fans, Kitchen Drawer Straps.    TV DYI’s:  2 5/16" Anderson System, Timken Bearings, Nitto recon’s, Firestone Rear Air Bags, Bilstein 5100’s, Mud Flaps & Weather Tech all.

image.jpeg.9633acdfb75740f0fd358e1a5118f105.jpeg

• Moderators

We’ve had lithiums for the past year and a half.  I’ve never turned off my solar, even the years we had AGMs.  I put a battery cutoff switch in the battery box and just turn them off when in storage.  I don’t discharge them any, we’re never home for more that a couple of months.  It’s covered storage so solar activity is minimal.  Mike

EDIT:  I did turn off my solar when we were swapping out the AGMs with Lithiums and doing some re-cabling.  I also turned off my solar when the controller was not working shortly after we took delivery.  I had to remove the controller and send it to Blue Sky for some maintenance.  Routine storage - I leave the solar on.  

• Like 3

Texas Hill Country | 2016 Elite II #135 | 2020 Ram 2500 6.7L

ALAZARCACOFLGAIDILKSKYLAMDMSMOMTNENVNMNYNCNDOHOKSCSDTNTXUTVAWVWYsm.jpgALAZARCACOCTDEFLGAIDILINIAKSKYLAMEMDMAMS

Just remember this - even if the batteries are turned off, the panels can supply close to 20 amps of DC current to the battery positive cable. So this could be a safety hazard if you are disconnecting/ removing the batteries while the panels are in the sun. For example, if you shorted out that "hot" terminal to the ground terminal with a tool or metal jewelry... So turn OFF the solar when working on the batteries! And wear no rings or bracelets please!

At all other times, I agree, just leave the system alone.

John Davies

Spokane WA

• Like 5

SOLD 07/23 "Mouse":  2017 Legacy Elite II Two Beds, Hull Number 218, See my HOW TO threads: https://olivertraveltrailers.com/topic/john-e-davies-how-to-threads-and-tech-articles-links/

Tow Vehicle: 2013 Land Cruiser 200, 32” LT tires, airbags, Safari snorkel, Maggiolina Grand Tour 360 Carbon RTT.

4 hours ago, John E Davies said:

At all other times, I agree, just leave the system alone.

For the Newer Owners:

Absolutes always bite me in the wrong place every time....

Another "time" is when your LiFePO4's could be subjected extreme cold and could themselves freeze.  Frozen Litho's for sure do not like to be at full charge, and "absolutely" should not be charged by any system in that state. 

GJ

• Like 4

TV:  2019 F-150 SuperCrew Lariat, 3.5L EcoBoost, Max Tow, FX-4, Rear Locker      OLLIE:  2018 OE2 Hull 342, Twin Bed.    OLLIE DYI’s:  BB LiFePO4's, Victron 712 Smart, 350 Amp Master Switch, Houghton 3400, Victron Orion DC - DC, 3000-Watt Renogy Inverter, P.D. 60-amp Converter, Frig Dual Exhaust Fans, Kitchen Drawer Straps.    TV DYI’s:  2 5/16" Anderson System, Timken Bearings, Nitto recon’s, Firestone Rear Air Bags, Bilstein 5100’s, Mud Flaps & Weather Tech all.

image.jpeg.9633acdfb75740f0fd358e1a5118f105.jpeg