Gray water tank handle/cable disconnected

New Oliver II driving home. Tried to dump gray tank and it appears the handle cable is not attached to the valve. I believe I recall others have had this problem. So there a thread or memo on how to repair. Thanks.

Yes I will add my rig & tow info when home...2022 Oliver II.

2022 Oliver Legacy Elite II, Hull 1242, 9/26/22

Lithium Platinum Power/Solar Package

Tow with Supercrew Cab 2019 F-150 4 x4, 5.0L 4-Valve V8 with 3.73 axle ratio & 157" wheelbase.

F-150 GCWR of 16,900 lbs with maximum load trailer of 11,500 lbs.

I’m not sure there is a thread. Just look at the valve under the street side bed, most likely the inner cable slid out of the “guillotine” fitting. 

26CE5D81-E706-4A55-913D-2F1865C2C63E.jpeg.7e0335352ec4de91c6f936dcc6bb337e.jpeg

Or possibly the outer housing clamp slipped. This valve is used everywhere, there should be lots of videos…. You can open and close it with your fingers if you have to.

John Davies

Spokane WA

• Thanks 1
  • Like 1

SOLD 07/23 "Mouse":  2017 Legacy Elite II Two Beds, Hull Number 218, See my HOW TO threads: https://olivertraveltrailers.com/topic/john-e-davies-how-to-threads-and-tech-articles-links/

Tow Vehicle: 2013 Land Cruiser 200, 32” LT tires, airbags, Safari snorkel, Maggiolina Grand Tour 360 Carbon RTT.

Sorry to hear you might be having trouble with your new Ollie.  Since you are a new owner, first let’s make sure you are looking at the right valve when you say it appears the handle cable isn’t connected.  The gray tank DRAIN valve is under the access hatch under the street side (driver side) bed near the rear of the trailer (see photo below).  It is NOT under the dinette seat.  The two valves under the dinette seat closest to the bathroom are the black tank drain valve and the gray tank anti-backflow valve (prevents gray water from sloshing back up into the shower pan when traveling, activated by the pull handle near the floor by the toilet, or by the switch in the closet if you have the optional electric valve).  Some owners have pulled gray tank drain handle but then looked at the valve under the dinette and wonder why the valve didn’t move.  Once you confirm you are looking at the correct valve when pulling the drain handle, then it’s a pretty simple matter to see where the problem is.   The cable is held into that aluminum cylinder (circled in John’s photo) by a set screw.   The set screw may be loose or even missing.  If missing you should be able to get a replacement at any hardware store.  

D545CCA8-97F2-4F05-AB4E-C93DC37DEF47.jpeg

• Thanks 1
  • Like 3

• Moderators

As mentioned by John and Frank the fix is easy once you locate the correct valve to see if the cable slipped out.  If it has slipped out and the set screw is still in all you have to do is thread the cable back through and tighten the screw.  You can also just pull the gate up with your hand to drain the tank.  I remove my black and gray cables every couple of years to lubricate them.  Mike

• Thanks 1
  • Like 2

Texas Hill Country | 2016 Elite II #135 | 2020 Ram 2500 6.7L

ALAZARCACOFLGAIDILKSKYLAMDMSMOMTNENVNMNYNCNDOHOKSCSDTNTXUTVAWVWYsm.jpgALAZARCACOCTDEFLGAIDILINIAKSKYLAMEMDMAMS

Thank-you John, Frank & Mike; clear very helpful replies.

• Like 1

2022 Oliver Legacy Elite II, Hull 1242, 9/26/22

Lithium Platinum Power/Solar Package

Tow with Supercrew Cab 2019 F-150 4 x4, 5.0L 4-Valve V8 with 3.73 axle ratio & 157" wheelbase.

F-150 GCWR of 16,900 lbs with maximum load trailer of 11,500 lbs.