Federal highways condition

Lee Cappelletti

OMG...

Don't know how many of you have had extended trips on our highways lately...but it looks like a "war zone" in some places...

Cannot believe the bumps, holes, patches, dipsey-doos and just downright poor condition...

If we didn't have an Oliver I think I would have left several hundred parts and pieces on the roads !

Hohenwald to Bellingham WA...I don't think we will ever take a trip that long again- maybe on the "back roads"...

Just be careful out there !

• Like 6

That sounds like every highway in Ohio and Michigan. Glad you made it home safe. 

• Like 1

-----
Steve - Northern Ohio, USA
Wandering around on occasion, always lost.
2021 Toyota Land Cruiser - 2023 Oliver Elite II Twin Hull #1360 “Curiosity”
Facebook - Instagram

Camped in Curiosity = Green —— Visited with Curiosity = Gray

map.jpg

• Moderators

I agree.  We take interstates sometimes when it makes a big difference and we know the general condition.  More often than not, we take back roads through farm country and small towns.  Slower speeds and less traffic make for a less stressful trip.  When we head west to AZ most January’s it’s I-10 most of the way.  Not a lot of other options.  Mike

• Like 3

Texas Hill Country | 2016 Elite II #135 | 2020 Ram 2500 6.7L

ALAZARCACOFLGAIDILKSKYLAMDMSMOMTNENVNMNYNCNDOHOKSCSDTNTXUTVAWVWYsm.jpgALAZARCACOCTDEFLGAIDILINIAKSKYLAMEMDMAMS

I am glad you made it home. What tire pressure in the Ollie? Please add trailer and tow vehicle info to your signature. What is next for you? A four week jaunt around Olympic NP? 😁

John Davies

Spokane WA

• Like 1

SOLD 07/23 "Mouse":  2017 Legacy Elite II Two Beds, Hull Number 218, See my HOW TO threads: https://olivertraveltrailers.com/topic/john-e-davies-how-to-threads-and-tech-articles-links/

Tow Vehicle: 2013 Land Cruiser 200, 32” LT tires, airbags, Safari snorkel, Maggiolina Grand Tour 360 Carbon RTT.

• Moderators

Yes, our interstates can use work in many places. My husband and I always laugh when we cross into South Carolina from Georgia on I95. We can literally feel the difference,  immediately. And, the lanes squeeze down from three to two.

That said, we put up with a number of years of "Bob's barricades " and slowdowns in Georgia, as the roads were being improved. 

We discovered some nice byways that didn't take much more time. And took us past cotton fields, pine forests,  and through delightful small towns. And, slower speeds saved a bit of fuel. Found some good BBQ. It's all good.

When you have the time,  take the back roads.

• Like 2
  • Love 2

2008 Ram 1500 4 × 4

2008 Oliver Elite, Hull #12

Florida and Western North Carolina, or wherever the truck goes....

400 watts solar. DC compressor fridge. No inverter. 2 x 105 ah agm batteries .  Life is good.

16 hours ago, SeaDawg said:

Yes, our interstates can use work in many places. My husband and I always laugh when we cross into South Carolina from Georgia on I95. We can literally feel the difference,  immediately. And, the lanes squeeze down from three to two.

That said, we put up with a number of years of "Bob's barricades " and slowdowns in Georgia, as the roads were being improved. 

We discovered some nice byways that didn't take much more time. And took us past cotton fields, pine forests,  and through delightful small towns. And, slower speeds saved a bit of fuel. Found some good BBQ. It's all good.

When you have the time,  take the back roads.

We will be driving home to Oregon from Hohenwald in about 5 weeks.  I ordered AAA TripTiks for a direct route and a southern route avoiding big cities.  I have no desire to drive straight through Memphis or other large cities towing our Ollie.

• Like 2

John and Debbie, Beaverton, Oregon,  2017 Ford Expedition EL 4x4 3.5 liter Ecoboost, with heavy duty tow package. Hull #1290, twin bed with Truma package (a/c, furnace, hot water heater with electric antifreeze option), lithium pro package, picked up November 7, 2022

spacer.png

• 4 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
On 10/6/2022 at 4:39 PM, Lee Cappelletti said:

OMG...

Don't know how many of you have had extended trips on our highways lately...but it looks like a "war zone" in some places...

Cannot believe the bumps, holes, patches, dipsey-doos and just downright poor condition...

If we didn't have an Oliver I think I would have left several hundred parts and pieces on the roads !

Hohenwald to Bellingham WA...I don't think we will ever take a trip that long again- maybe on the "back roads"...

The interstates have been good except when we crossed into Colorado from Kansas it went from great to bad.  What's up with Colorado?  They should have a good tax base to keep their roads up.  If Kansas can do it, I don't see why Colorado can't.

John

• Sad 1

John and Debbie, Beaverton, Oregon,  2017 Ford Expedition EL 4x4 3.5 liter Ecoboost, with heavy duty tow package. Hull #1290, twin bed with Truma package (a/c, furnace, hot water heater with electric antifreeze option), lithium pro package, picked up November 7, 2022

spacer.png

• Moderators

Unless Colorado has completed MAJOR work on the stretch of interstate from Colorado Springs to Denver in the past few years, it is/was absolutely terrible.

Bill

• Sad 1

2023 Ford F150 Lariat 3.5EB FX4 Max Towing, Max Payload, 2016 Oliver Elite II - Hull #117 "Twist"

On 10/6/2022 at 6:39 PM, Lee Cappelletti said:

OMG...

The loop Interstate 459 around Birmingham Al is to be avoided completely if you can. It’s the worst interstate we have ever been on. Interstate 88 in upstate NY is another stretch of highway we will never travel on again…awful.

We try and plan our trips on the roads less traveled. 

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

2020 OLEII - Hull #634 aka-  “XPLOR” 

2021 F350 6.7 liter Diesel Lariat Ultimate Tremor aka- Beast

IMG_2879.jpeg