Info for setting up hitch before pickup.

MnM

I've dug through the owners manual info and can't find a few things I need to plan for my pickup and hope an existing owner can help.   To get the trailer level I need to know the drop required from my hitch -- can someone tell me what the height is from ground to the bottom of the coupler for a level Elite II?   Also for locking purposes, would like to get a locking pin on the Bulldog Coupler and would like to know what diameter the pin is which secures the collar in the closed position?  It looks pretty small but would like to know to get a suitable lock or locking pin.   

I see some folks have a lock around the collar, I am guessing that is for securing it once disconnected from the TV but I'd like to lock the mechanism while towing as I've seen "pranksters" loosen the mechanism of another trailer while the owner was not around and that can easily turn out very badly.   Thanks in advance for the help and advice. 

Mike & Marianne Hermann, Scottsdale AZ

2022 RAM 2500 Hemi 4x4

Elite II Hull #1337

I have a RAM 3500 2022 SRW and my hitch drop is 4 inches and i also use the collard for the Bulldog coupler.

• Like 1

Elite2 2022, #1120. RAM 3500 Laramie 2022 diesel SRW

Quebec, Canada

previous rig:  35 foot fifth wheel with Ford f350 2018 diesel DRW 

You can put a lock on the Bulldog hitch lever if it makes you feel better but anyone can pry the “latch wire” off of that lever with a screwdriver or pair of pliers in seconds and render the lock useless. You’re better off with the collar lock in place when hitched. 

3BF9D321-559F-4A42-9773-7EE07AD72F7D.thumb.jpeg.31382526c5e9bb09de739c91c0cc8d56.jpeg

• Thanks 2
  • Like 5

Bill and Martha

2018 LEII Hull 313

2019 Chevrolet 2500HD Duramax

Thank you to all who replied so quickly!  The quality of the people and information on this forum matches that of the Ollie and is a real benefit of purchasing one of these trailers.   Thanks Again!

• Like 1

2022 RAM 2500 Hemi 4x4

Elite II Hull #1337

I've never used a Bulldog coupler so I didn't realize that locking the mechanism was all but useless for any security.   thanks for the pic!

2022 RAM 2500 Hemi 4x4

Elite II Hull #1337

I am curious if you know or have a tape measure... is the top of the inside of your truck receiver about 25 inches off the ground like mine?

RAM Receiver.jpg

2022 RAM 2500 Hemi 4x4

Elite II Hull #1337

Its 23,5 inches ground to the top of ball mount for 1/2 ton truck and 22,5 inch for 3/ 4 and 1 ton truck……

Quebec, Canada

25 minutes ago, Roger P said:

Its 23,5 inches ground to the top of ball mount for 1/2 ton truck and 22,5 inch for 3/ 4 and 1 ton truck……

Thanks!   Since I see you also have a RAM HD (mine is only a 2500) I was trying to make sure the 4-inch drop would also work for me.  

2022 RAM 2500 Hemi 4x4

Elite II Hull #1337

I have a fiberglass cap and about 800 pounds of gear in the bed truck and a tong weight of 500 pounds and the back of the truck goes downfor 1,25 inc and the trailer sit level with a 4 inches ball mount drop….

• Like 1

Quebec, Canada

For those of you who use "The Collar" device, what size Discus lock do you use?   Under the theory that larger is almost always better on a padlock, wondering if the larger 80mm Abus lock fits but the hole on the collar.   In theory it does... 7/16 shackle should go thru a just under 1/2 hole in the collar, but wondering what others are using.

2022 RAM 2500 Hemi 4x4

Elite II Hull #1337

On 10/13/2022 at 8:05 AM, MnM said:

For those of you who use "The Collar" device, what size Discus lock do you use?   Under the theory that larger is almost always better on a padlock, wondering if the larger 80mm Abus lock fits but the hole on the collar.   In theory it does... 7/16 shackle should go thru a just under 1/2 hole in the collar, but wondering what others are using.

I have the smaller size. Fits fine   

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B005UMBKD4/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o06_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

2021 Elite II, Hull# 898

2018 Toyota Tundra, 2003 Dodge Ram 3500 5.9l SRW

On 10/6/2022 at 6:39 PM, Frank C said:

Top of the ball should be about 24” +/- 1/2” from the ground to calculate your hitch drop needed.

And for locking the Bulldog coupler while towing, most of us use this collar with a padlock.

"The Collar" Trailer Hitch Lock... https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00HL2NM0K?ref=ppx_pop_mob_ap_share

I bought that collar lock at your suggestion Frank.  It's quite beefy, not as intimidating as the Proven lock which I also bought.  I recommend both.

John

John and Debbie, Beaverton, Oregon,  2017 Ford Expedition EL 4x4 3.5 liter Ecoboost, with heavy duty tow package. Hull #1290, twin bed with Truma package (a/c, furnace, hot water heater with electric antifreeze option), lithium pro package, picked up November 7, 2022

spacer.png

8 hours ago, Mike and Carol said:

I bought that lock too.  Proven Locks also sells a locking hitch pin for $75 to secure the hitch to the receiver.  I have a steel locking pin now, so not sure that I want to spend more.  How do you secure the hitch to the tv?  Proven Locks says their pin is more tamper proof.

John 

• Like 1

John and Debbie, Beaverton, Oregon,  2017 Ford Expedition EL 4x4 3.5 liter Ecoboost, with heavy duty tow package. Hull #1290, twin bed with Truma package (a/c, furnace, hot water heater with electric antifreeze option), lithium pro package, picked up November 7, 2022

spacer.png

I want to give my experience when I went to pick up my Elite I   My tow vehicle is a 2020 Honda Ridgeline..  19 inches to top of inside receiver..  so I brought a 4 inch ball mount (rise)   We hooked up .. it was sitting to high, luckily I had a 2 inch rise one..  this worked great.  I had full tank of gas the bed of truck was loaded.The 2 week trip out west, 3 National parks and 4500 miles later , the Ollie rode and towed great.. Honda got 14 to 16.5 MPG..   

• Like 5

2022 Elite I  # 1179  |  2024 Tundra SR5 4x4 Crewmax. 5.5 ft. Bed. 3.31gears 10 spd.trans