No power to Tongue Jack

This has happened two times to me. Our Ollie had shifted a bit while on the tongue jack and the jack lost power. There must be a sensor in it that cuts off power if there is torque pressure on it. 

2019 Elite II Hull 435, 2022 Toyota Tundra

?? What do you mean by “torque pressure”?

There is a mechanical slipper clutch in the drive gear on top, that clacks if you run the jack to the full up or full down position. But there are no electronic sensors inside. Is yours blowing one of the two fuses? Does the light still operate?

If your attach hardware is loose, the jack body can tilt too far and it will bind up, but it still makes those clacking sounds, but the ram doesn’t move….

John Davies

Spokane WA

SOLD 07/23 "Mouse":  2017 Legacy Elite II Two Beds, Hull Number 218, See my HOW TO threads: https://olivertraveltrailers.com/topic/john-e-davies-how-to-threads-and-tech-articles-links/

Tow Vehicle: 2013 Land Cruiser 200, 32” LT tires, airbags, Safari snorkel, Maggiolina Grand Tour 360 Carbon RTT.

No sensor in the wiring (see attached schematic) or mentioned in the manual anywhere.  You either have a blown fuse, a faulty wire connection somewhere, or else the jack screw is binding up because of the trailer shifting.   The motor may have a built in TCO (thermal cutout, often built into motor windings) to protect the motor from overheating, but no mention of that in the jack manual.

952B2275-DDC2-4AFC-968E-17FCDC3B0870.jpeg

• Like 4

SOLD 07/23 "Mouse":  2017 Legacy Elite II Two Beds, Hull Number 218, See my HOW TO threads: https://olivertraveltrailers.com/topic/john-e-davies-how-to-threads-and-tech-articles-links/

Tow Vehicle: 2013 Land Cruiser 200, 32” LT tires, airbags, Safari snorkel, Maggiolina Grand Tour 360 Carbon RTT.

What year is your trailer? I just went through this similar situation on my 2017. I found that the jack is grounded through one or two of the mounting bolts to the frame. I noticed that there was rust under two of the stainless washers and found out that Oliver uses steel star washers to cut through the paint on the jack. The shifting load may be moving the jack enough to lose the ground. I ran an actual ground wire to the frame to permanently fix the grounding issue. You may check the bolt tightness and/or add a ground wire. 

• Like 9

2017 Elite II, Hull #208

2019 Chevy HD 2500 Duramax

• Moderators
2 hours ago, wolfdds said:

This has happened two times to me. Our Ollie had shifted a bit while on the tongue jack and the jack lost power. There must be a sensor in it that cuts off power if there is torque pressure on it. 

I think we could use a few more details.

How did it "shift"?

What happens when you try to raise or lower the jack? Nothing? Any sound? Does the light work? Have you checked the simplest, first, the fuse? 

We can raise ours manually, but it's a bit of a pita. 

Sometimes, when we've camped in rain or humidity, we have to "rock" the switch a bit. Down, up, down... to get it to work. Probably a bit of corrosion or moisture. Then again, we've also experienced a poor ground, and a failed switch. We carry a spare switch, as it's not easy to find, locally, in many places.

I checked your profile. 2019, Elite II. Please add it to your signature. Thanks.

And, good luck.

• Like 3

2008 Ram 1500 4 × 4

2008 Oliver Elite, Hull #12

Florida and Western North Carolina, or wherever the truck goes....

400 watts solar. DC compressor fridge. No inverter. 2 x 105 ah agm batteries .  Life is good.

@SeaDawgIt shifted when I raised the camper to detach it from the tow vehicle. The camper just moved back a small amount until the tire chuck engaged fully. When it happened the light no longer worked as well (so no power). I removed the cover manually raised the camper and manually lowered it back onto the tow vehicle hitch. Once the weight was off the tongue jack the power instantly came back on. The first time it happened I could not find a reason the power was out (ie: Blown fuse) but it started mysteriously working again after the weight was off of it. Perhaps there is a short somewhere it has only lost power those two times??

2019 Elite II Hull 435, 2022 Toyota Tundra

• Moderators

SeaDawg is presently "on the road", so, it just might be awhile before she can reply.

At this point - I'd re-read what JED, Frank C and MountainOliver had to say nd either call it a day or add that additional ground.

Bill

• Like 1

2023 Ford F150 Lariat 3.5EB FX4 Max Towing, Max Payload, 2016 Oliver Elite II - Hull #117 "Twist"

Just today I lost power to the rear / streetside jack on our Oliver.  Checked fuses & found them all good.  A close look revealed a wire had come loose from the back of the switch.  Crimped the female fitting on the loose positive wire a bit to increase tension on the switch as it was still a bit loose when re-attached and now all is well.

• Like 5

14 hours ago, wolfdds said:

When it happened the light no longer worked as well (so no power). 

That’s a big troubleshooting clue.  The light and motor are wired in parallel, and share a common ground point (see schematic in previous post), so since the light didn’t work either when this jack problem occurred, that points to a wiring connection issue with either the 12v hot lead or the ground, not a motor problem or jack screw problem.   

• Like 4