Changing a flat tire

John Welte

Hi all, do I need to bring a jack along for the unlikely, but still possible, flat tire.  My 2017 Ford Expedition has a jack.  As I understand it, the stabilizer legs aren't meant for lifting the trailer, but only to stabilize it.  I assume on a 2022 LE2 if I was to ride one tire up on an Andersen leveler that the other tire would remain on the ground.  I am getting a few items in preparation for pick up in less than a month.   I did buy a Proven Lock, yoke and Abus lock because I don't want to have this trailer stolen!

John

• Like 2

John and Debbie, Beaverton, Oregon,  2017 Ford Expedition EL 4x4 3.5 liter Ecoboost, with heavy duty tow package. Hull #1290, twin bed with Truma package (a/c, furnace, hot water heater with electric antifreeze option), lithium pro package, picked up November 7, 2022

spacer.png

You need to have blocks, either wood or the yellow Camco lego style, You can raise one side up with the stabilizer enough for the tire to rotate and block the underside of the axle on that side if you feel like it. I don’t ever bother unless I am about to crawl underneath the trailer. I really doubt that your truck jack has enough lift without using blocks under it. FYI:

https://olivertraveltrailers.com/forums/topic/6549-recommend-a-heavy-duty-mechanical-scissor-jack/

John Davies

Spokane WA

• Thanks 1
  • Like 1

SOLD 07/23 "Mouse":  2017 Legacy Elite II Two Beds, Hull Number 218, See my HOW TO threads: https://olivertraveltrailers.com/topic/john-e-davies-how-to-threads-and-tech-articles-links/

Tow Vehicle: 2013 Land Cruiser 200, 32” LT tires, airbags, Safari snorkel, Maggiolina Grand Tour 360 Carbon RTT.

8 minutes ago, John E Davies said:

You need to have blocks, either wood or the yellow Camco lego style, You can raise one side up with the stabilizer enough for the tire to rotate and block the underside of the axle on that side if you feel like it. I don’t ever bother unless I am about to crawl underneath the trailer. I really doubt that your truck jack has enough lift without using blocks under it. FYI:

https://olivertraveltrailers.com/forums/topic/6549-recommend-a-heavy-duty-mechanical-scissor-jack/

John Davies

Spokane WA

Thanks John, you and others on the forum have been great with advice for this soon to be Ollie owner.  T- 29 days

John

• Like 1

John and Debbie, Beaverton, Oregon,  2017 Ford Expedition EL 4x4 3.5 liter Ecoboost, with heavy duty tow package. Hull #1290, twin bed with Truma package (a/c, furnace, hot water heater with electric antifreeze option), lithium pro package, picked up November 7, 2022

spacer.png

I carry a large scissor jack (a military surplus HUMVEE jack with frame adapter, referenced in the other thread link that John posted above) and some pieces of 4”x4” lumber for raising the trailer for tire changes and wheel bearing maintenance.   I lift the trailer with the scissor jack and then put the stabilizer down as a safety backup just in case.   Tire chocks on the trailer wheels on the opposite side, and the trailer still hitched to my truck, so the trailer won’t shift at all while lifting.  This setup has worked well and is very stable and safe when I have to work on the trailer.   I prefer overkill when it comes to safety 🙂.   And I don’t trust just using the stabilizers only to lift the trailer for tire changes after seeing how small the welds are on the stabilizer mounting brackets.  

7864E65B-DD9D-441F-8160-5FDBD3382344.jpeg

• Thanks 1
  • Like 3

• Moderators

Depending on the situation - a single Andersen leveler may or may not be enough to get that tire off the ground.  Therefore, Frank C's suggestion of carrying some form of "blocks"* (certainly these can be "lego" style that JD mentions)** in order to take lateral "pressure" off the onboard jack is worth considering.  Also, as per Frank C - keep the Ollie attached to your tow vehicle and clock the opposite side.  Try to find as level a spot to do the repair as possible - most roads and their shoulders are sloped such that if the flat tire is on the curbside it will require you to lift more weight than necessary.

Finally, if there is any doubt then call for help.  The couple of hours that you might save by doing the job yourself is simply not worth the possible negative outcomes.

Bill

*I carry both wood blocks and lego style blocks.  The wood blocks can be had free either around your own workshop or by "scrounging". 

** note - these lego style blocks can also be used for help in leveling the tongue when the throw of that jack is simply not long enough to get your Ollie level from front to back.  Or when the Andersen's need a bit of extra help.  Or when your outside grill can't find a level spot.  Or when .....

• Thanks 1
  • Like 3

2023 Ford F150 Lariat 3.5EB FX4 Max Towing, Max Payload, 2016 Oliver Elite II - Hull #117 "Twist"

1 hour ago, Frank C said:

I carry a large scissor jack (a military surplus HUMVEE jack with frame adapter, referenced in the other thread link that John posted above) and some pieces of 4”x4” lumber for raising the trailer for tire changes and wheel bearing maintenance.   I lift the trailer with the scissor jack and then put the stabilizer down as a safety backup just in case.   Tire chocks on the trailer wheels on the opposite side, and the trailer still hitched to my truck, so the trailer won’t shift at all while lifting.  This setup has worked well and is very stable and safe when I have to work on the trailer.   I prefer overkill when it comes to safety 🙂.   And I don’t trust just using the stabilizers only to lift the trailer for tire changes after seeing how small the welds are on the stabilizer mounting brackets.  

7864E65B-DD9D-441F-8160-5FDBD3382344.jpeg

"I carry a large scissor jack (a military surplus HUMVEE jack with frame adapter,"

Frank, is the frame adapter something specific to the Ollie frame?    I wonder why these trailers don't have disc brakes (just a side note).  Maybe no trailers do.  🤔. Thanks for the picture.

John, T-28 days to delivery day

spacer.png

3 minutes ago, John Welte said:

is the frame adapter something specific to the Ollie frame? 

You can get them here, on backorder right now though. https://agileoffroad.com/

agile-off-road-scissor-jack-axle-frame-adaptor

AO Axle & Frame Adaptor for H1 Scissor Jack

5.0 star rating11 Reviews

$89.95

Out of stock (place order to reserve)

AO Axle & Frame Adaptor for H1 Scissor Jack quantity
Add to cart
  • Like 3

Kirk and Carrie Peterson

Twin Falls, Idaho

2018 Ram 3500, with overland conversion: Rooftop tent, water, stove, Battle Born batteries, lockers, onboard air, raised air intake, Warn winch. 

2023 Elite 2, twin beds, delivered December 5, 2022 Truma package, lithium platinum package.
Hull #1305

• Moderators
1 minute ago, John Welte said:

I wonder why these trailers don't have disc brakes (just a side note).  Maybe no trailers do. 

Most travel trailers do not have disk brakes.  

There are several members of this Forum that consider our drum style brakes to be "garbage".  However, over the years these drums and brakes have done the job in a simple, cost effective manner without major difficulty.  If one keeps them clean and in good repair they should give you years of trouble free service.  Having said this - there is little question that disk brakes perform better over a higher range of conditions as opposed to drum brakes.  But, RV's are not sport cars or airplanes.  Nor are they normally subjected to the same kinds of wear and tear as even our daily drivers.  

Bill

• Thanks 1
  • Like 1

2023 Ford F150 Lariat 3.5EB FX4 Max Towing, Max Payload, 2016 Oliver Elite II - Hull #117 "Twist"

2 minutes ago, topgun2 said:

Depending on the situation - a single Andersen leveler may or may not be enough to get that tire off the ground.  Therefore, Frank C's suggestion of carrying some form of "blocks"* (certainly these can be "lego" style that JD mentions)** in order to take lateral "pressure" off the onboard jack is worth considering.  Also, as per Frank C - keep the Ollie attached to your tow vehicle and clock the opposite side.  Try to find as level a spot to do the repair as possible - most roads and their shoulders are sloped such that if the flat tire is on the curbside it will require you to lift more weight than necessary.

Finally, if there is any doubt then call for help.  The couple of hours that you might save by doing the job yourself is simply not worth the possible negative outcomes.

Bill

*I carry both wood blocks and lego style blocks.  The wood blocks can be had free either around your own workshop or by "scrounging". 

** note - these lego style blocks can also be used for help in leveling the tongue when the throw of that jack is simply not long enough to get your Ollie level from front to back.  Or when the Andersen's need a bit of extra help.  Or when your outside grill can't find a level spot.  Or when .....

"*I carry both wood blocks and lego style blocks.  The wood blocks can be had free either around your own workshop or by "scrounging". "

Bill, thanks for the suggestion of the Lego style blocks.  I gave my cube bag that had about 10 of those 1 inch blocks to the new owner of the pop up tent trailer that we sold in July.  Maybe I will buy again.  Good suggestions.

John, 

spacer.png

• Moderators

There is a lot of past discussion about this.  I’ve used the on board jack a number of times to raise tires off the ground for various reasons.  I won’t get under the trailer with just the onboard jack but will change a tire.  YMMV.  Mike

• Like 3

Texas Hill Country | 2016 Elite II #135 | 2020 Ram 2500 6.7L

ALAZARCACOFLGAIDILKSKYLAMDMSMOMTNENVNMNYNCNDOHOKSCSDTNTXUTVAWVWYsm.jpgALAZARCACOCTDEFLGAIDILINIAKSKYLAMEMDMAMS

• Moderators

Actually it was JED above that suggested the Lego blocks and they are good to have on board.

Having said this - I've only actually used my legos one time in the last seven years!

Bill

• Like 2

• Moderators
Just now, topgun2 said:

Having said this - I've only actually used my legos one time in the last seven years!

We use our Legos everytime we set up.  1-4 legos, 8” wooden block and the jack only needs an inch or two of extension.  Mike

• Like 1

Texas Hill Country | 2016 Elite II #135 | 2020 Ram 2500 6.7L

ALAZARCACOFLGAIDILKSKYLAMDMSMOMTNENVNMNYNCNDOHOKSCSDTNTXUTVAWVWYsm.jpgALAZARCACOCTDEFLGAIDILINIAKSKYLAMEMDMAMS

• Moderators
1 minute ago, Mike and Carol said:

We use our Legos everytime we set up.  1-4 legos, 8” wooden block and the jack only needs an inch or two of extension.

Just goes to show how lazy I really am!  My six inch by 11 inch wood blocks are either placed on their sides (6 inches) on on their ends (11 inches) depending on how much room I have.  Certainly as Mike points out - the less you have to extend the on-board jacks , the better - whether that be for leveling or for changing a tire.

Bill

• Like 3

Blocking the rear jacks is prudent… if you have a major brain fart aka senior moment and drive away with the jacks down, they will hopefully survive without bending. I flag my gear shift with red surveyor’s tape whenever the trailer is hitched AND a jack is extended…

John Davies

Spokane WA

• Like 4

SOLD 07/23 "Mouse":  2017 Legacy Elite II Two Beds, Hull Number 218, See my HOW TO threads: https://olivertraveltrailers.com/topic/john-e-davies-how-to-threads-and-tech-articles-links/

Tow Vehicle: 2013 Land Cruiser 200, 32” LT tires, airbags, Safari snorkel, Maggiolina Grand Tour 360 Carbon RTT.

10 minutes ago, topgun2 said:

Just goes to show how lazy I really am!  My six inch by 11 inch wood blocks are either placed on their sides (6 inches) on on their ends (11 inches) depending on how much room I have.  Certainly as Mike points out - the less you have to extend the on-board jacks , the better - whether that be for leveling or for changing a tire.

Bill

Bill, I ordered the Camco stacking jack stands as it seems it makes more sense to not extend the stabilizer jacks so far for reasons of less wear and distance to the ground.  Not so much flex pressure on the mount.  My wife is rolling her eyes when another box is delivered to the house.  It's all necessary though.  TPMS, water pressure gauge, Proven lock, surge protection, etc.

John

• Like 1

spacer.png

• Moderators

Most of these things are really not "necessary" for you to enjoy your Oliver.  However, they do make the experience more relaxing and or easier or safer than it would be without them.  They tend to save you time, energy, worry and simply make the whole camping/traveling experience more enjoyable because you spend less time working, thinking, worrying and more time doing what you really want to do.

It will not be long now and your delivery will pass you by as if being played in triple fast speed.  Try to resist buying anything but what you feel is necessary and then add later depending on your style of travel and camping.

Bill

• Thanks 1
  • Like 1

• Moderator+
51 minutes ago, topgun2 said:

Try to resist buying anything but what you feel is necessary and then add later depending on your style of travel and camping.

Bill

I never buy anything that I don’t absolutely, positively think that I MAY use one of these days. 

• Like 4
  • Haha 4

Steve, Tali and our dog Rocky plus our beloved Storm, Maggie, Lucy and Reacher (all waiting at the Rainbow Bridge)

2008 Legacy Elite I - Outlaw Oliver, Hull #026 | 2014 Legacy Elite II - Outlaw Oliver, Hull #050 | 2022 Silverado High Country 3500HD SRW Diesel 4x4 

801469912_StatesVisitedTaliandSteve08-23-2021-I.jpg.26814499292ab76ee55b889b69ad3ef0.jpg1226003278_StatesVisitedTaliandSteve08-23-2021-H.jpg.dc46129cb4967a7fd2531b16699e9e45.jpg

32 minutes ago, ScubaRx said:

I never buy anything that I don’t absolutely, positively think that I MAY use one of these days. 

I am focusing on safety and trailer protection.  There's always the must haves and the wants.  TPMS was expensive but I felt it was a necessity.  That's my approach.  The forum has been great for ideas of those must haves.

• Like 4

spacer.png

• Moderator+
3 hours ago, John Welte said:

I am focusing on safety and trailer protection.  There's always the must haves and the wants. 

John, I applaud your approach to purchases.  I don’t think we’ve yet had the pleasure of actually meeting each other. But those that know me and have seen our truck, probably recognized the tongue in cheek sarcasm of my post. When we meet, you’ll see what I mean. 

• Like 3

Steve, Tali and our dog Rocky plus our beloved Storm, Maggie, Lucy and Reacher (all waiting at the Rainbow Bridge)

2008 Legacy Elite I - Outlaw Oliver, Hull #026 | 2014 Legacy Elite II - Outlaw Oliver, Hull #050 | 2022 Silverado High Country 3500HD SRW Diesel 4x4 

801469912_StatesVisitedTaliandSteve08-23-2021-I.jpg.26814499292ab76ee55b889b69ad3ef0.jpg1226003278_StatesVisitedTaliandSteve08-23-2021-H.jpg.dc46129cb4967a7fd2531b16699e9e45.jpg

17 hours ago, John Welte said:

do I need to bring a jack along for the unlikely, but still possible, flat tire. 

Since we have a long, multi-day trip home to Idaho after we take delivery on November 10, I purchased (at John Davies' suggestion) a Safe Jack 6-ton RV Jack.  It includes extenders that should enable it to reach the jacking points on the 2022 Elite II, from the ground.  The kit includes a u-shaped frame adapter that I hope will fit the Elite II frame and enable a more secure connection with the trailer.

https://www.4wheelparts.com/p/safe-jack-6-ton-rv-jack-kit-37m-rv6/_/R-SAJK-37M-RV6?ppcfon=1&gp=1&ecmp=s:google_15843829820___&utm_source=google&utm_medium=cpc&utm_campaign=SC Shopping - Tires & Wheels - Performance Max&gclid=Cj0KCQjwhY-aBhCUARIsALNIC06UbEzgITJgaGQn_rPib0QBhxX7NiH5oVwxeWUM_qjnkqbeLh5T-FgaAsOiEALw_wcB

Not cheap, but worth the peace of mind to me.

I also have a set of the Camco Large Stabilizing Jack Pads, to provide a  solid base for the Safe Jack, if needed.

https://www.amazon.com/Camco-Large-44541-Stabilizing-Jack/dp/B005BNZ9UM/ref=asc_df_B005BNZ9UM/?tag=hyprod-20&linkCode=df0&hvadid=198056825273&hvpos=&hvnetw=g&hvrand=9575626206363820960&hvpone=&hvptwo=&hvqmt=&hvdev=c&hvdvcmdl=&hvlocint=&hvlocphy=9029558&hvtargid=pla-438289870527&psc=1

If I have to change a tire, I plan chock the wheels on the side opposite the flat, jack up the side with the flat using the Safe Jack on a Stabilizing Jack Pad, then lower the stabilizers to provide additional support and stability.

• Like 3

Hull #1291

Central Idaho

2022 Elite II

Tow Vehicle:  2019 Tundra Double Cab 4x4, 5.7L with tow package

ARCOIDNMOKORTNTXUTsm.jpg

19 hours ago, John Welte said:

Hi all, do I need to bring a jack along for the unlikely, but still possible, flat tire.  My 2017 Ford Expedition has a jack.  As I understand it, the stabilizer legs aren't meant for lifting the trailer, but only to stabilize it.  I assume on a 2022 LE2 if I was to ride one tire up on an Andersen leveler that the other tire would remain on the ground.  I am getting a few items in preparation for pick up in less than a month.   I did buy a Proven Lock, yoke and Abus lock because I don't want to have this trailer stolen!

John

LE2 2022 Hull 806 here,

I utilize a HFreight ramp I already had on hand....it works great to lift either tire off the ground. It has 6.5" of lift and is as simple as it looks.

I use the ramp to take tires off when I grease the zerks. I hope I never have to use it on the side of the road, but I have complete confidence if I need to do so.

image.png.b89cbec301e379bfe881ae352d7939a3.png

• Thanks 1
  • Like 6

1 hour ago, SteveCr said:

LE2 2022 Hull 806 here,

I utilize a HFreight ramp I already had on hand....it works great to lift either tire off the ground. It has 6.5" of lift and is as simple as it looks.

I use the ramp to take tires off when I grease the zerks. I hope I never have to use it on the side of the road, but I have complete confidence if I need to do so.

image.png.b89cbec301e379bfe881ae352d7939a3.png

Steve, how much does it weigh?    Do you bring it on the road?

John

spacer.png

6 minutes ago, John Welte said:

Steve, how much does it weigh?    Do you bring it on the road?

John

Sold by HF as a set.....made of polypropylene...each ramp weighs about 9 pounds. Yes, I take it on all trips...its about 3 feet long and fits neatly on top of my truck's wheel well.

https://www.harborfreight.com/13000-lb-gvwr-portable-vehicle-ramp-set-63956.html

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Rivernerd said:

Since we have a long, multi-day trip home to Idaho after we take delivery on November 10, I purchased (at John Davies' suggestion) a Safe Jack 6-ton RV Jack.  It includes extenders that should enable it to reach the jacking points on the 2022 Elite II, from the ground.  The kit includes a u-shaped frame adapter that I hope will fit the Elite II frame and enable a more secure connection with the trailer.

https://www.4wheelparts.com/p/safe-jack-6-ton-rv-jack-kit-37m-rv6/_/R-SAJK-37M-RV6?ppcfon=1&gp=1&ecmp=s:google_15843829820___&utm_source=google&utm_medium=cpc&utm_campaign=SC Shopping - Tires & Wheels - Performance Max&gclid=Cj0KCQjwhY-aBhCUARIsALNIC06UbEzgITJgaGQn_rPib0QBhxX7NiH5oVwxeWUM_qjnkqbeLh5T-FgaAsOiEALw_wcB

Not cheap, but worth the peace of mind to me.

I also have a set of the Camco Large Stabilizing Jack Pads, to provide a  solid base for the Safe Jack, if needed.

https://www.amazon.com/Camco-Large-44541-Stabilizing-Jack/dp/B005BNZ9UM/ref=asc_df_B005BNZ9UM/?tag=hyprod-20&linkCode=df0&hvadid=198056825273&hvpos=&hvnetw=g&hvrand=9575626206363820960&hvpone=&hvptwo=&hvqmt=&hvdev=c&hvdvcmdl=&hvlocint=&hvlocphy=9029558&hvtargid=pla-438289870527&psc=1

If I have to change a tire, I plan chock the wheels on the side opposite the flat, jack up the side with the flat using the Safe Jack on a Stabilizing Jack Pad, then lower the stabilizers to provide additional support and stability.

"If I have to change a tire, I plan chock the wheels on the side opposite the flat, jack up the side with the flat using the Safe Jack on a Stabilizing Jack Pad, then lower the stabilizers to provide additional support and stability."

I bought the Camco levelers today and also two heavy duty solid rubber chocks.  The guy at the RV parts store said that once I have the tires in the levelers on the low side and chocked with the Camco leveler and chock, that I won't need to buy two more heavy duty rubber chocks for the low side.  What are you bringing in the chock department?

John

spacer.png