looking for wheel parts info

dedroll

Hello, I am looking for a parts list or some guidelines for what I will need when I inspect and repack my bearings on our 2017 Elite 2. I have never done this but I am studying up and my neighbor said he could help. Will I need any special tools? Where is a good place to purchase this stuff? I will change the shocks, part #555025 from Monroe i think, and big question should I just go ahead and buy Timken bearings while I am at it?   Thanks 

David and Jane Droll,  Pulling Hull #238 with a 2018 Toyota Tundra 

• Moderators

Understand that this chore is not really all that difficult.  And, it is good to know how to do this job in the event you have problems while on the road.

However, it is messy and requires attention to detail.  Remember that mistakes can be very costly.

Your "big question" relative to the brand of bearings really depends on a bunch of factors - how hard are you on your bearings (i.e.  do you normally tow in high heat at high speed or in wet weather or in a salty climate or tend to perform maintenance on the bearings later versus sooner, or .....).  Having said this - quality is generally a good thing, kind of like one of the reasons we all bought an Oliver in the first place.  But, if you are gentle on your bearings, always perform maintenance at or ahead of time, etc. there is a case to be made for not throwing your money away just so you can say you have the best.

Tools are a similar decision.  Buy quality tools and they will last you a lifetime. However, if you will only plan to service your bearings once a year or so and do not plan on using the tools for any other purpose and only plan to keep your RV for another 10 to 20 years and usually keep your tools in good condition (i.e. don't leave them out in the rain, stress them beyond normal tolerances, don't use a screw driver as a chisel, etc.) , a case can be made that you are wasting your money by buying anything beyond what will give you service for that period of time.

Bill

• Like 3

2023 Ford F150 Lariat 3.5EB FX4 Max Towing, Max Payload, 2016 Oliver Elite II - Hull #117 "Twist"

On 10/12/2022 at 8:07 AM, dedroll said:

Hello, I am looking for a parts list or some guidelines for what I will need when I inspect and repack my bearings on our 2017 Elite 2. I have never done this but I am studying up and my neighbor said he could help. Will I need any special tools? Where is a good place to purchase this stuff? I will change the shocks, part #555025 from Monroe i think, and big question should I just go ahead and buy Timken bearings while I am at it?   Thanks 

OMG....Not to be a downer, or impeach your desire for knowledge....but there must be at least 200 pages in this forum that talk about this very issue.  My humble recommendations are:

A.  Kindly provide in your signature your trailer and tow vehicle info.  

B.  Kindly search the forum for this topic.

Again no disrespect to you as a new member.  

GJ

• Like 3

TV:  2019 F-150 SuperCrew Lariat, 3.5L EcoBoost, Max Tow, FX-4, Rear Locker      OLLIE:  2018 OE2 Hull 342, Twin Bed.    OLLIE DYI’s:  BB LiFePO4's, Victron 712 Smart, 350 Amp Master Switch, Houghton 3400, Victron Orion DC - DC, 3000-Watt Renogy Inverter, P.D. 60-amp Converter, Frig Dual Exhaust Fans, Kitchen Drawer Straps.    TV DYI’s:  2 5/16" Anderson System, Timken Bearings, Nitto recon’s, Firestone Rear Air Bags, Bilstein 5100’s, Mud Flaps & Weather Tech all.

image.jpeg.9633acdfb75740f0fd358e1a5118f105.jpeg

On 10/12/2022 at 8:07 AM, dedroll said:

Hello, I am looking for a parts list or some guidelines for what I will need when I inspect and repack my bearings on our 2017 Elite 2.

Dedroll:

On second thought here is some Dexter Related info that may save you some time.

If you have any questions, please feel free to PM me.

GJ

image.jpeg

Testing Trailer Brake Magnets.docx Timken Bearings and National Seals.docx Dexter Grease Caps.docx

• Like 2

TV:  2019 F-150 SuperCrew Lariat, 3.5L EcoBoost, Max Tow, FX-4, Rear Locker      OLLIE:  2018 OE2 Hull 342, Twin Bed.    OLLIE DYI’s:  BB LiFePO4's, Victron 712 Smart, 350 Amp Master Switch, Houghton 3400, Victron Orion DC - DC, 3000-Watt Renogy Inverter, P.D. 60-amp Converter, Frig Dual Exhaust Fans, Kitchen Drawer Straps.    TV DYI’s:  2 5/16" Anderson System, Timken Bearings, Nitto recon’s, Firestone Rear Air Bags, Bilstein 5100’s, Mud Flaps & Weather Tech all.

Thank you everyone!  the LONG thread had the info I needed and I copied Geronimo Joe's info so now I will learn by doing. I have never thought much about wheel bearings but I see this topic is very nuanced with experienced opinions...kinda like what are the best tires and tire pressure!!   shout out to John Davies who helps us all so much.

• Moderator+
  • Like 2

Steve, Tali and our dog Rocky plus our beloved Storm, Maggie, Lucy and Reacher (all waiting at the Rainbow Bridge)

2008 Legacy Elite I - Outlaw Oliver, Hull #026 | 2014 Legacy Elite II - Outlaw Oliver, Hull #050 | 2022 Silverado High Country 3500HD SRW Diesel 4x4 

801469912_StatesVisitedTaliandSteve08-23-2021-I.jpg.26814499292ab76ee55b889b69ad3ef0.jpg1226003278_StatesVisitedTaliandSteve08-23-2021-H.jpg.dc46129cb4967a7fd2531b16699e9e45.jpg

On 10/14/2022 at 9:38 PM, ScubaRx said:

thanks 

On 10/14/2022 at 9:38 PM, ScubaRx said:

thank you

that must be the right part # then.

This is bothering me now... I calculated the price for 4 Timken wheel bearing sets from Summit Racing at $75.92 and the price at Motion Industries was $308.28 ??

is there a way to create a signature? 

On 10/14/2022 at 1:13 AM, Geronimo John said:

OMG....Not to be a downer, or impeach your desire for knowledge....but there must be at least 200 pages in this forum that talk about this very issue.  My humble recommendations are:

A.  Kindly provide in your signature your trailer and tow vehicle info.  

B.  Kindly search the forum for this topic.

Again no disrespect to you as a new member.  

GJ

58 minutes ago, dedroll said:

This is bothering me now... I calculated the price for 4 Timken wheel bearing sets from Summit Racing at $75.92 and the price at Motion Industries was $308.28 ??

There are a lot of counterfeit “Timken” bearings out there, especially on Amazon.  At that low price I’m not sure I’d even trust the ones from Summit to be genuine Timken bearings.  I bought mine through an authorized Timken distributor (Applied Industrial) and it was about $60 per wheel for the two sets needed (inner and outer bearings sets) for each wheel, plus the new seal needed.  And I use the WBA bearing app available for smartphones to scan the QR code on the bearing packaging to confirm they are legit.   

CB427173-925C-45CD-89B7-77E9F82D7370.png

05BE8306-3921-4537-B7D5-B16777D606EB.png

• Like 1

• Moderators
1 hour ago, dedroll said:

is there a way to create a signature? 

left click on the area where you "log out" at top right corner of the page

left click on "account settings"

left click on "signature" on left side of page

fill out what you want your signature to be

left click on "save"

• Like 2

2023 Ford F150 Lariat 3.5EB FX4 Max Towing, Max Payload, 2016 Oliver Elite II - Hull #117 "Twist"

On 10/17/2022 at 10:59 AM, Frank C said:

There are a lot of counterfeit “Timken” bearings out there, especially on Amazon.  At that low price I’m not sure I’d even trust the ones from Summit to be genuine Timken bearings.

I have sent an inquiry to Timken asking if Summit is a trusted dealer for their bearings and National Seals.

Awaiting their response.

JPR NOTE:  Still waiting a response from Timken on 1 NOV 2022.

• Like 2

55 minutes ago, Geronimo John said:

I have sent an inquiry to Timken asking if Summit is a trusted dealer for their bearings and National Seals.

Awaiting their response.

6 minutes ago, dedroll said:

Got it!  Thank you!!

1 Results Found For "tmk set17"

Part Type: Wheel Bearings
KEYWORD: tmk set17
Individual Parts
In-Store Pickup

Results 1 - 1 of 1

25 Records Per Page Best Keyword Match Sort 
Timken Wheel Bearings SET17

Wheel Bearing, Front Inner, Each

Part Number: TMK-SET17

5.0 out of 5 stars ( 8 )

Estimated Ship Date: Today

$9.99

Add To Cart

1 hour ago, Geronimo John said:

Awaiting their response.

They are. Bought my Timkens from them (they are just down the street) and they all checked genuine with the app. Didn’t trust the ones from Amazon. 

• Like 3

23 hours ago, katanapilot said:

They are. Bought my Timkens from them (they are just down the street) and they all checked genuine with the app. Didn’t trust the ones from Amazon. 

23 hours ago, katanapilot said:

thank you... it's tricky out there on the webs!

On 10/12/2022 at 2:07 PM, dedroll said:

I will change the shocks, part #555025 from Monroe i think

If necessary, I suggest you re-purpose the concave washers from old shocks as described in this older thread to add additional support and extend life of rubber bushings.  

Shock Absorber Bushing Support

• Like 2

“Ramble” - 2021 Legacy Elite II #797;  2020 Ford F-250

• 2 weeks later...

With you all's help I got this done. Parts came from Summit Racing: new timken bearings and 4 extra seals for $157.82 total!!   I was glad my neighbor helped, he showed me how NOT to smash those races and seals into place. Thanks everybody!

• Like 2