Closet Door/Fire Extinguisher Bolts Too Long

The bolts extend approx 1 inch longer past the bolt nuts. Already had caused a leg scratch. Protective rubber caps were installed by Oliver, but wht not just use correct bolt length during construction?

None-the-less does anyone have a good reason why I should not just cut them off to shorten? 

Hacksaw in hand...

Thanks

20221014_101710.jpg

2022 Oliver Legacy Elite II, Hull 1242, 9/26/22

Lithium Platinum Power/Solar Package

Tow with Supercrew Cab 2019 F-150 4 x4, 5.0L 4-Valve V8 with 3.73 axle ratio & 157" wheelbase.

F-150 GCWR of 16,900 lbs with maximum load trailer of 11,500 lbs.

Those should be stainless, so just whack them off flush AND file them smooth with the nut surface. My guess is that they ran out of the correct bolts and just grabbed longer ones. How in the world did you scratch your leg with rubber caps on them? Did one fall off? They do look too big for the thread diameter. If so, that is two strikes against the tech who did the job... ;( If you don't like the look of the cut-off shanks, you can replace the nuts with cap nuts (with enclosed ends) AKA acorn nuts. I don't know the thread size, most likely this:

https://www.homedepot.com/p/Everbilt-1-4-in-20-Stainless-Steel-Cap-Nut-800281/204274073

John Davies

Spokane WA

• Like 2

SOLD 07/23 "Mouse":  2017 Legacy Elite II Two Beds, Hull Number 218, See my HOW TO threads: https://olivertraveltrailers.com/topic/john-e-davies-how-to-threads-and-tech-articles-links/

Tow Vehicle: 2013 Land Cruiser 200, 32” LT tires, airbags, Safari snorkel, Maggiolina Grand Tour 360 Carbon RTT.

John ED...just a minor no skin break scratch on shorter person; I don't want my message to overstate...

• Like 1

Tow with Supercrew Cab 2019 F-150 4 x4, 5.0L 4-Valve V8 with 3.73 axle ratio & 157" wheelbase.

• Moderators

Yep - off with their heads!

A dab of white paint or fingernail polish will help with looks and sealing (even though mine have never budged since new).

Bill

• Like 2

2023 Ford F150 Lariat 3.5EB FX4 Max Towing, Max Payload, 2016 Oliver Elite II - Hull #117 "Twist"

Thanks for the replies & just confirming my perspective.

My O is 2.5 weeks old and I am very pleased overall & very impressed with the quality & the O staff (good people!).

However, I (as a boat & furniture woodworker) can not in anyway understand the O use of too long of bolts that are just wrong is wrong. No woodworker would do this.

I checked the door in the showroom and the same incorrect bolts/construction is on the show O2. 

I hope O is listening and will correct this error going forward.

Disappointing. Easy for me to fix, but...

• Like 4

• Moderators

Hopefully you have sent Oliver a Service Ticket on this issue given that I'm not aware of any Service personnel that monitor the Forum on a regular basis.  Also, these "tickets" are used to help monitor quality control issues among other things.

Thanks!

Bill

2023 Ford F150 Lariat 3.5EB FX4 Max Towing, Max Payload, 2016 Oliver Elite II - Hull #117 "Twist"

TG2.

Did not. New to the process. Will do.

I must stress I am very pleased with all the O staff I have met and do not want to be an unnecessary pain in...

Thanks.

• Like 2

• Moderators
1 hour ago, Gliddenwoods said:

I must stress I am very pleased with all the O staff I have met and do not want to be an unnecessary pain in...

I understand completely but don't worry about it.  I do know (within reason) that the Oliver staff sincerely appreciates the input of owners - both good and bad.

Bill

• Like 2

My feeling is that ANY problem that causes injury should be reported, I opened a ticket on the bathroom door handle because I laid open my forehead while learning over to wipe down the wall below the mirror. The handle has very sharp corners, a silly, minor error on their part. But it should be corrected! Or a service bulletin should be issued, alerting owners. (I ground the corners off.)

John Davies

Spokane WA

• Like 1

SOLD 07/23 "Mouse":  2017 Legacy Elite II Two Beds, Hull Number 218, See my HOW TO threads: https://olivertraveltrailers.com/topic/john-e-davies-how-to-threads-and-tech-articles-links/

Tow Vehicle: 2013 Land Cruiser 200, 32” LT tires, airbags, Safari snorkel, Maggiolina Grand Tour 360 Carbon RTT.

2 hours ago, Gliddenwoods said:

TG2.

Did not. New to the process. Will do.

Thanks.

It seems that in the modern world, with our modern lingo, "opening a ticket" is the equivalent of saying, "Hey, just want to give you guys a heads up on something." I've opened tickets on minor little things that were really questions more than complaints about the trailer. I think it's how they keep track of customer feedback. Of course, they could just read all the forums (which I know they do sometimes) but that would take a while!

• Like 3

2021 Elite II #841, 2020 GMC Sierra 1500 AT4, 3.0 diesel

• Moderators

Oliver staff doesn't routinely watch  the forum. Please, do open a ticket with any safety or repair item, even if you fix it yourself.  

Production can't fix a problem they're not aware of. 

Exactly, @Cameron, give them a heads up. And, thank you for doing that. 

• Like 3

2008 Ram 1500 4 × 4

2008 Oliver Elite, Hull #12

Florida and Western North Carolina, or wherever the truck goes....

400 watts solar. DC compressor fridge. No inverter. 2 x 105 ah agm batteries .  Life is good.

On 10/15/2022 at 2:02 PM, SeaDawg said:

Production can't fix a problem they're not aware of. 

It appears this is a new problem, so please submit a ticket.

See the screen shot below, in which the back side of and Elite II closet door appears.  Note the two large bolt heads capped with what appear to be nylock nuts, rather than the long, thin bolts apparently being used now, with plastic bolt caps.  This image is from an Oliver Elite II video published in 2019 entitled Legacy Elite II Rear Seating and Sleeping.  Is is still available on Oliver's website.

Has Oliver recently opted for cheaper, smaller but longer bolts, with bolt caps instead of cutting the bolt off flush with the nut?

image.thumb.png.f81b0a614592a6888e58fe5402a78c7f.png

• Like 1

Hull #1291

Central Idaho

2022 Elite II

Tow Vehicle:  2019 Tundra Double Cab 4x4, 5.7L with tow package

ARCOIDNMOKORTNTXUTsm.jpg

Ticket submitted on the weekend. Mike responded today that he is forwarding my complaint/photo to "quality control".

Everybody should know that something always has to be wrong with anything. Since the Ollie is such a fine work, why not make these bolts too long so the owners have something to complain about. Lol

(Making light, but my wife cut her arm on one too, when the rubber cap fell off.)

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • Sad 2

Dave & Terri Mazone

2022 LII Hull #1019

TV: 2001 Chevy Silverado 2500 HD diesel, Crew Cab (4WD)

Our bolts are also way too long, the black caps are too big for the diameter of the bolts so the factory put a dab of silicone caulk on the pressed on the black cap, which then fell off and resulted in me being gouged in the arm during one of our first adventures. Cutting the bolts to size is on my "to do" list and every time I open the closet door I'm remined of being bled by the bolt. 

• Like 3

spacer.png

Albert & Terri Sterns

Paonia, Colorado

Elite II Hull #1125 Standard Floorplan / 2017 Ford F250 gas

9 hours ago, AlbertNTerri said:

Our bolts are also way too long, the black caps are too big for the diameter of the bolts so the factory put a dab of silicone caulk on the pressed on the black cap, which then fell off and resulted in me being gouged in the arm during one of our first adventures. Cutting the bolts to size is on my "to do" list and every time I open the closet door I'm reminded of being bled by the bolt. 

I can't resist pointing out that while providing one important safety feature (the fire extinguisher), Oliver has created a different safety hazard in the newer models (overlong bolts that can cut you when opening the closet door).  I hope Oliver properly responds to Gliddenwoods' service ticket by eliminating the overlong bolts.  I plan to check for such overlong bolts when we take delivery in a couple of weeks.

• Like 2

Hull #1291

Central Idaho

2022 Elite II

Tow Vehicle:  2019 Tundra Double Cab 4x4, 5.7L with tow package

ARCOIDNMOKORTNTXUTsm.jpg

• Moderator+
6 hours ago, Gliddenwoods said:

Five minutes; all fine.

20221019_142439.jpg

Thank you for a rational resolution with no drama. 

• Like 1

Steve, Tali and our dog Rocky plus our beloved Storm, Maggie, Lucy and Reacher (all waiting at the Rainbow Bridge)

2008 Legacy Elite I - Outlaw Oliver, Hull #026 | 2014 Legacy Elite II - Outlaw Oliver, Hull #050 | 2022 Silverado High Country 3500HD SRW Diesel 4x4 

801469912_StatesVisitedTaliandSteve08-23-2021-I.jpg.26814499292ab76ee55b889b69ad3ef0.jpg1226003278_StatesVisitedTaliandSteve08-23-2021-H.jpg.dc46129cb4967a7fd2531b16699e9e45.jpg

9 hours ago, ScubaRx said:

Thank you for a rational resolution with no drama. 

Glad to see such an easy solution, to an almost non existent problem, was shared. If you have the problem, you now have the solution. You don't have the problem, you don't have a problem. (It was kinda interesting to read some of the comments though).

• Like 1

Pardon the minor thread drift, but if you go poking around in the bowels  of your trailer, you’ll  find lots of sharp things that can get you.  For example, I discovered a large tear in my furnace heat supply hose, when I was reaching in to open the the water tank drain valve.   I noticed sharp screw heads on the backside of the furnace intake vent and access port,  which caused the tears in the hose.   I used my Dremel to grind off the sharp screw points and applied RTV sealant.   Small tasks that don’t take long to complete, normal trailer fixit stuff.  

50F7615C-D4D6-45F7-850D-8A776479E79F.jpeg

• Like 2

“Ramble” - 2021 Legacy Elite II #797;  2020 Ford F-250