Is twin bed large enough?

Dorrie Hall

I am interested in purchasing an Oliver trailer but first would like feedback on the bed options.  My husband is a large guy...6'2", 245 lbs.  He thinks the twin option is doable, but I am skeptical.  I would appreciate hearing from folks who own the twin option.  Do you have a problem with hitting the nightstand and is it roomy enough?

• Like 1

@Dorrie Hall They are small twins at 30 X 75 but we find them still quite adequate and comfortable and I share my 30” with my dog! 
Many people sleep with their head towards the door with feet next to the nightstand to avoid hitting the nightstand as well as to be facing the TV for watching. 
We sleep with our head next to the nightstand with no issues. 

• Like 3

2021 Dodge Ram 1500 

2021 Oliver Elite ll 

Hull #732 

Michigan 

59 minutes ago, Dorrie Hall said:

I am interested in purchasing an Oliver trailer but first would like feedback on the bed options.  My husband is a large guy...6'2", 245 lbs.  He thinks the twin option is doable, but I am skeptical.  I would appreciate hearing from folks who own the twin option.  Do you have a problem with hitting the nightstand and is it roomy enough?

I’m 6’3”, was 245lbs. Depending on your pillow his feet will likely touch the rear wall periodically. Nightstand not issue if feet at that end. 

Width isn’t too bad, but there is a wall on one side. 🙂

Works for me and I tend to rotate a lot at night. 

In photo, head propped up reading at the moment. About 6” to rear wall  

80DF38CE-7F1B-4D60-8A01-54834389C07E.jpeg

• Like 3

2020 Legacy Elite II Hull 625 - 2013 Lexus LX 570

San Antonio/Boerne - Texas Hill Country

107F43A5-E4E1-4A97-8528-35B1CEEB75F0.thumb.jpeg.a2f956911c9320beaf78fdeaa75a892a.jpeg

Welcome to the forum! FYI these are actually bunk sized mattresses, 8 inches narrower than an actual twin. If you can find a kids bunk mattress to try out, that would give you both an idea of how little room there is…. this is a pet peeve of mine, I ordered all new Twin linens before delivery and they were WAY to big. I think it is highly deceptive that Oliver does not mention this.

I am 5’10” and 165, I fit fine but I was always waking up when my feet or elbow bumped the unyielding walls or the nightstand. I now use high density foam (camping pad) there. It is much nicer to bump into that than into a rock hard chilly sidewall. I also sleep better without the cold infiltration in the shoulder camping season, and the foam keeps the covers tucked in and you don’t lose your phone or glasses down in the crack.  I do put my feet into the inside corner rather than into the shorter curved part.

I once showed my Ollie to a couple, the man was large and 6’4”. He found the low bath ceiling to be unacceptable, they decided to not buy one. You both need to see an Ollie in person to check the dimensions. If I were 6’2” I would have the big mattress!

Who can identify the little tray on the nightstand?😬

John Davies

Spokane WA

• Like 3

SOLD 07/23 "Mouse":  2017 Legacy Elite II Two Beds, Hull Number 218, See my HOW TO threads: https://olivertraveltrailers.com/topic/john-e-davies-how-to-threads-and-tech-articles-links/

Tow Vehicle: 2013 Land Cruiser 200, 32” LT tires, airbags, Safari snorkel, Maggiolina Grand Tour 360 Carbon RTT.

1 hour ago, John E Davies said:

I am 5’10” and 165, I fit fine but I was always waking up when my feet or elbow bumped the unyielding walls or the nightstand.

I'm just 6'3 an now only 220 pounds.  The "twin beds" work fine.  I keep the nose of Ollie a bit high to keep the refrigerator from swinging too far towards the entrance door and to better drain the shower.   I sleep feet aft.  Like JD, I usually keep the feet in the nightstand corner of the aft end of the mattress.   

We cut and tailored with a butcher knife a queen six inch foam pad to place over the stock OTT mattress.  It was a ton less expensive than mattress upgrade and we really like them.  When they wear out, I'll get the 4" version for reasons hinted below.

For special events,  🙂 we take the dinette area fiberglass storage covers, wrap each of  them in a towel and place them upside down on the two bed rails between the two twin sleeping areas.  Then use some of the cushions for padding  and elevation leveling.  Results in a suitable larger area for "fun".  

• Like 5

TV:  2019 F-150 SuperCrew Lariat, 3.5L EcoBoost, Max Tow, FX-4, Rear Locker      OLLIE:  2018 OE2 Hull 342, Twin Bed.    OLLIE DYI’s:  BB LiFePO4's, Victron 712 Smart, 350 Amp Master Switch, Houghton 3400, Victron Orion DC - DC, 3000-Watt Renogy Inverter, P.D. 60-amp Converter, Frig Dual Exhaust Fans, Kitchen Drawer Straps.    TV DYI’s:  2 5/16" Anderson System, Timken Bearings, Nitto recon’s, Firestone Rear Air Bags, Bilstein 5100’s, Mud Flaps & Weather Tech all.

image.jpeg.9633acdfb75740f0fd358e1a5118f105.jpeg

• Moderators

When I first got my Ollie I slept with my head at the nightstand (I'm 6', 165 pounds).  But after a couple of night of my elbows hitting either the nightstand or the curved wall, I did a 180 and now sleep with feet at the nightstand.  Much more room for the elbows.

If you are not convinced by the posts above or feel you need more information then you might want to PM (private message) Patriot since he is reasonably tall.

At 6' I can stand up straight in the shower - barely.  Shortly after buying my Ollie I spend hours building a shower mat - similar to Foy's mat but not as nice as his.  Unfortunately, I never thought about the reduction of vertical room and sure enough the day I finished and proudly took it out to the Ollie I realized that either I would now have to shower while bending over or give it away.  Needless to say - it belongs to someone else now.😥

Bill

• Thanks 2
  • Like 2
  • Haha 1

2023 Ford F150 Lariat 3.5EB FX4 Max Towing, Max Payload, 2016 Oliver Elite II - Hull #117 "Twist"

1 hour ago, topgun2 said:

When I first got my Ollie I slept with my head at the nightstand (I'm 6', 165 pounds).  But after a couple of night of my elbows hitting either the nightstand or the curved wall, I did a 180 and now sleep with feet at the nightstand.  Much more room for the elbows.

If you are not convinced by the posts above or feel you need more information then you might want to PM (private message) Patriot since he is reasonably tall.

At 6' I can stand up straight in the shower - barely.  Shortly after buying my Ollie I spend hours building a shower mat - similar to Foy's mat but not as nice as his.  Unfortunately, I never thought about the reduction of vertical room and sure enough the day I finished and proudly took it out to the Ollie I realized that either I would now have to shower while bending over or give it away.  Needless to say - it belongs to someone else now.😥

Bill

"When I first got my Ollie I slept with my head at the nightstand (I'm 6', 165 pounds).  But after a couple of night of my elbows hitting either the nightstand or the curved wall, I did a 180 and now sleep with feet at the nightstand.  Much more room for the elbows."

I plan to take the curb side bed as I sleep on my right side and putting my feet at the rear will work great.  Having a night stand near my head is appealing, but for the reasons you mentioned, I will just use the stove area for my glasses.

John

• Like 1

John and Debbie, Beaverton, Oregon,  2017 Ford Expedition EL 4x4 3.5 liter Ecoboost, with heavy duty tow package. Hull #1290, twin bed with Truma package (a/c, furnace, hot water heater with electric antifreeze option), lithium pro package, picked up November 7, 2022

spacer.png

I offer a contrary view to those expressed above. 

The Oliver we examined before placing an order was the twin bed configuration.  With the permission of the owner, I spent a few minutes lying on one of her twin beds.  I did not like having my inside shoulder hang off the side of the bed when on my back.  I concluded that the 30" width of the Elite II twin bed is not enough for me to comfortably sleep.  I am 6'0", 225 lbs.

We take delivery on a standard (king-size bed) Elite II in November.  The availability of the king bed option was a significant selling point for us.

I strongly recommend that you actually lie down on an Elite II twin bed before deciding which layout to buy.  That is what sold me on the king bed.

• Like 8

Hull #1291

Central Idaho

2022 Elite II

Tow Vehicle:  2019 Tundra Double Cab 4x4, 5.7L with tow package

ARCOIDNMOKORTNTXUTsm.jpg

• Moderators
11 hours ago, Rivernerd said:

I strongly recommend that you actually lie down on an Elite II twin bed before deciding which layout to buy. 

Absolutely - for that and so many more reasons.

12 hours ago, John Welte said:

Having a night stand near my head is appealing, but for the reasons you mentioned, I will just use the stove area for my glasses.

Yes, if it wasn't for the "elbow issue" I too would prefer to have the nightstand near my head.  But, having my glasses, flashlight, alarm clock and one or two other items near the stove at night isn't really an issue for me.  While I've seen other owners place netting or shelves either under the bed or right above the bed to hold these items I haven't found a system (yet) that works better than simply moving these small items each night/morning.

Bill

• Like 1

2023 Ford F150 Lariat 3.5EB FX4 Max Towing, Max Payload, 2016 Oliver Elite II - Hull #117 "Twist"

I'm 6', 175# and sleep with my head aft. Have hit my elbows a couple of times but prefer to have the nightstand near my head and a view of the trailer interior. Situational awareness. 

• Like 2

Stephanie and Dudley from CT.  2022 LE2, Hull #1150: Eggcelsior.

Tow vehicle: 2016 GMC Sierra 6.0 gas dually 4x4.

Our Oliver journey: Steph and Dud B's RV Screed

Where we've been RVing since 1999:

ALAZCACOCTDEFLGAIDILINIAKYLAMEMDMAMIMNMSMOMTNENVNHNMNYNCNDOHOKORPASCSDTNTXUTVTVAWAWVWIWYmed.jpg.b96241bad6752dec89d25af6ffbc8d99.jpg

1 hour ago, Steph and Dud B said:

but prefer to have the nightstand near my head and a view of the trailer interior. Situational awareness. 

Are you expecting an attack from the bathroom? 😬

My wife and I both like to lounge on the beds during the day, head forward. Very often there is a good view out the back window. From there you can look out three sides of the trailer. Since I sleep in a bag, position doesn’t matter, but she sleeps under regular linens, so switching around doesn’t work. It’s all a matter of preference and whether or not you whack your head on the night table. That is actually a pretty nasty occurrence, the corner is sharp!.

John Davies

Spokane WA

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

SOLD 07/23 "Mouse":  2017 Legacy Elite II Two Beds, Hull Number 218, See my HOW TO threads: https://olivertraveltrailers.com/topic/john-e-davies-how-to-threads-and-tech-articles-links/

Tow Vehicle: 2013 Land Cruiser 200, 32” LT tires, airbags, Safari snorkel, Maggiolina Grand Tour 360 Carbon RTT.

14 hours ago, Corvus said:

A revolving tray?

947B6219-F311-4D21-8206-1FDB51619ED0.thumb.jpeg.bbe729c0d276c065f195f7453134c99f.jpeg

These are made in MT. I am a huge Red Oxx fan but their larger items are $$$$.  The smaller ones are made from remnants and are cheaper, like the wallet or small “possibles” bag, and  make great Christmas presents. 

Red Oxx Travel Tray

These are especially cool and handy: …

https://www.redoxx.com/monkey-s-fist-zip-knot-92009/p

They have a wonderful retail store in Billings. Do not enter unless you are prepared to lose some money! 😀

John Davies

Spokane WA

• Thanks 1
  • Like 1

Hi John -

I noticed the nice quilt you have on your bed and I am wondering if this is homemade. Tom and I have our twin bed Ollie II on order and I am planning on making quilts for the beds. Since they are not really twin beds, the dimensions for the quilts will not be standard. I can guesstimate the dimensions needed, but thought I would check to see if yours was "custom" and/or handmade and what the dimensions are for it. 

Reading this thread, I had to smile. Being on the shorter side (5'1") has its' challenges (for example, high shelves in the kitchen or grocery store), but sleeping and showering in the Ollie will not be a problem! 😀

Best, Doreen 

• Like 1

Tom & Doreen • 2023 Elite ll • Hull #1321 • 2023 Tundra Platinum Crew Max • Cheshire CT 

States1.jpg

H

1 hour ago, Tom and Doreen said:

Hi John -

I noticed the nice quilt you have on your bed and I am wondering if this is homemade. Tom and I have our twin bed Ollie II on order and I am planning on making quilts for the beds. Since they are not really twin beds, the dimensions for the quilts will not be standard. I can guesstimate the dimensions needed, but thought I would check to see if yours was "custom" and/or handmade and what the dimensions are for it. 

Hi, those came from Amazon, standard Twin size. I cut a bunch of material off the width eventually. Sorry, I don’t have dimensions. My mattresses are 10” tall. I suggest that you make yours oversized in the width, leave unfinished, and trim to suit at your leisure. You can use bunk mattress dimensions as a guide. 

John Davies

Spokane WA

• Like 1

• Moderators

T & D - 

You might want to send a PM to Mike and Carol to ask what they did with theirs.  In my opinion, the interior of their Ollie is one of the most tastefully done out there and the quilts/spreads they use seem to fit very nicely.

Bill

• Like 1

• Moderators
2 hours ago, topgun2 said:

You might want to send a PM to Mike and Carol to ask what they did with theirs.  In my opinion, the interior of their Ollie is one of the most tastefully done out there and the quilts/spreads they use seem to fit very nicely.

Thanks for the compliment, Bill.  We are on our third set of quilts/spreads.  They have all been standard twin sets from Bed Bath and Beyond or Target.  We sleep with our heads to the kitchen but make the beds with the pillows at the back.  We tuck in the excess quilt under the mattress on the wall side and have a normal amount on the aisle side.  Nothing fancy, we try to be practical!

Just took this tonight as we’re camping in Tennessee.

218F0D5E-0678-473B-85F7-B447BF64640A.jpeg

This is our first iteration when we picked up in 2016

B6388B41-2FA3-4D28-A7F4-AE4E9FC03E3A.jpeg

Another set a couple of years ago.

990CEE30-4525-46D4-A7C1-EF6EE1EC07F3.jpeg

• Like 4
  • Love 1

Texas Hill Country | 2016 Elite II #135 | 2020 Ram 2500 6.7L

ALAZARCACOFLGAIDILKSKYLAMDMSMOMTNENVNMNYNCNDOHOKSCSDTNTXUTVAWVWYsm.jpgALAZARCACOCTDEFLGAIDILINIAKSKYLAMEMDMAMS

Thanks everyone for your thoughts and pictures! We will be ordering mattresses from Southern Mattress Company and I believe they will be 10" as well. I think I can get the dimensions close enough and then tuck in any excess as needed on the wall side. However, given my slowness in finishing these types of projects, I'm glad to know I can get something "off the shelf" and make it work too. 😉

• Like 3

Tom & Doreen • 2023 Elite ll • Hull #1321 • 2023 Tundra Platinum Crew Max • Cheshire CT 

States1.jpg

On 10/16/2022 at 5:04 PM, topgun2 said:

T & D - 

Bill

I had someone locally who wanted to see how we outfitted our Elite II.  I sent them to Mike for a much better design experience. Refined, but not overdone. Guessing more Carol's influence than Mike's, other than 'no clutter please'. 😉

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

2020 Legacy Elite II Hull 625 - 2013 Lexus LX 570

San Antonio/Boerne - Texas Hill Country

I'm in the Oliver Referral Program and show my trailer to people interested in a Oliver Trailer. I recommend that you see one in person to get a feel of whether it will work for you. Make sure you can use the bathroom and get around each other. Trailer is only 7 feet wide which makes it more compact then the other big box trailers. We have the king size bed and I'm 6' 5" tall and have to sleep side to side to stretch out, the single wouldn't work for me.

Larry Bettinger

Spokane Washington

• Like 2

Elite II, Hull #47 |Ford 150, 5.0L

map3.png

On 10/16/2022 at 1:18 PM, Tom and Doreen said:

Hi John -

Reading this thread, I had to smile. Being on the shorter side (5'1") has its' challenges (for example, high shelves in the kitchen or grocery store), but sleeping and showering in the Ollie will not be a problem! 😀

Best, Doreen 

So I had a king sized quilt cut in half and use that for twins.  I had it done by seamstress as my sewing abilities is limited to buttons.   It was a good way to recycle bedding set still in good shape that I was not using.   

• Like 2

2021 Legacy Elite II Hull #807 - 2021 F150 w/ 3.5L EB and max tow package