Dometic 310 crapped out....

Sorry.  🙂

Hull #297.  Love this camper.  This week on our last trip of the year to Great Sand Dunes Nat'l Park the flush ball valve started to give out and eventually did.  Water comes on when pedal is pushed but the ball valve stopped working.  After some research today I was looking at the actual pedal to flush ball connection as a likely culprit.  But after disassembly, it looks solid.  Then I pulled the lever shaft that actually actuates the valve and the end that fits into the valve is worn out (see pic 1).  The last pic shows what it is supposed to fit into.

I've put in a service ticket.  But, I understand that Dometic does not sell individual parts - in fact the manual and schematic don't even list the pedal assembly, much less lever shaft as separate parts.  I believe I'll be looking at buying a new toilet (about $220) for want of a small plastic replacement part that Dometic likely has on hand.  😞

One of the YouTube videos I found helpful showed a guy printing a part with a 3D printer.  Not to be critical, but the video is way too long, but the 3D part creation might be interesting to some.  It's not the part I need but it got me thinking.

This YouTube shows disassembly/reassembly of the pedal assembly and I hope the part of spring replacement will be helpful if any of you need to do this job.   

So, my questions:  

1) Anyone have this little piece that connects the pedal lever to the ball flush valve? (see pics below)  First pic shows the actual part (minus whatever has broken or worn away).  Second pic shows the hole thru which the part attaches.  I tried to mark it up to show the five sides.  The third pic shows it installed in it's lever.  The fourth pic shows where it 'plugs' into the flush ball valve.

2) If you don't have one (and why the heck would you?), would anyone be willing to take theirs apart and take a photo and maybe even some measurements?  (I'm considering the 3D printer aspect.)

3) Other ideas or suggestions?

Thanks in advance.  Chuck

IMG_7921 (1).jpeg

IMG_7920 (1).jpeg

IMG_7918.jpeg

IMG_7915.jpeg

Edited by chuckstovall
corrected reference to pictures
  • Thanks 2
  • Like 2

• Moderators

Love your post, love your humor and love the fact that you want to repair this versus just throw it away.  Unfortunately, I don't have your part nor is my Ollie handy so I can take pics for you.😢

Good luck!

Bill

p.s.  perhaps a tear filled call to Dometic might induce someone to actually help you?  Doubtful but ya never know.

• Like 1

2023 Ford F150 Lariat 3.5EB FX4 Max Towing, Max Payload, 2016 Oliver Elite II - Hull #117 "Twist"

• 2 weeks later...
On 10/20/2022 at 5:25 PM, chuckstovall said:

So, my questions:  

1) Anyone have this little piece that connects the pedal lever to the ball flush valve?

The exact failure occurred to us in Idaho this summer.  It is insane that we have to replace a whole toilet for a 50 cent part failure.  

I would rather replace the whole unit and never buy another Dometic unit again even if it costs me double!

Where is the corporate integrity at Domenica?  

GJ

• Thanks 1
  • Like 1

TV:  2019 F-150 SuperCrew Lariat, 3.5L EcoBoost, Max Tow, FX-4, Rear Locker      OLLIE:  2018 OE2 Hull 342, Twin Bed.    OLLIE DYI’s:  BB LiFePO4's, Victron 712 Smart, 350 Amp Master Switch, Houghton 3400, Victron Orion DC - DC, 3000-Watt Renogy Inverter, P.D. 60-amp Converter, Frig Dual Exhaust Fans, Kitchen Drawer Straps.    TV DYI’s:  2 5/16" Anderson System, Timken Bearings, Nitto recon’s, Firestone Rear Air Bags, Bilstein 5100’s, Mud Flaps & Weather Tech all.

image.jpeg.9633acdfb75740f0fd358e1a5118f105.jpeg

A friend of mine and former Oliver owner broke a tab on the snap-out return air grill on his Dometic air distribution box (ADB) cover. He had to order the whole ADB cover assembly just to get the return air grill. I broke one of the doors on the side of our ADB and he sent me the rest of the ADB cover that he didn’t need so that I could get the part I needed. I sent him half of what he paid and we both ended up getting the parts we needed for less than the cost of the whole ADB cover. My point is that if someone has to order an assembly from Dometic to get the part they need they might can cut their losses by offering up the rest of the assembly for sale in the Classified section of the forum. 

Edited by Townesw
  • Thanks 2
  • Like 4

Bill and Martha

2018 LEII Hull 313

2019 Chevrolet 2500HD Duramax

@chuckstovall Chuck, while you are in there, you might think about replacing the valve too.  I had several Dometic valves go bad and start leaking then someone showed me this aftermarket replacement valve.  This thing is great. The spring is tighter and it flushes so much better.  Find it HERE , worth preventing a future headache.  Once you get both valves in your hands it will be clear which one is superior.  If this company is making aftermarket parts for the Dometic 300 series, maybe they make a pedal too?

Regards,

Brian

• Thanks 2
  • Like 1

7 hours ago, Townesw said:

TL;DR: Buy the Dometic assembly, get the part you need, sell the rest of the parts. 

My experience was that Dometic does not sell the part that broke on Chuck's and our toilet.    (Chuck's picture below)

For this 50 cent (to make) part not being available, one has to purchase a whole toilet. This was verified by both Dometic and E-trailer.  

If anyone has info contrary to this please share it with the team.

Thanks,

GJ

image.png.cc12c2538b4766fcec49ee5f90ed0b30.png

• Thanks 1
  • Sad 1

TV:  2019 F-150 SuperCrew Lariat, 3.5L EcoBoost, Max Tow, FX-4, Rear Locker      OLLIE:  2018 OE2 Hull 342, Twin Bed.    OLLIE DYI’s:  BB LiFePO4's, Victron 712 Smart, 350 Amp Master Switch, Houghton 3400, Victron Orion DC - DC, 3000-Watt Renogy Inverter, P.D. 60-amp Converter, Frig Dual Exhaust Fans, Kitchen Drawer Straps.    TV DYI’s:  2 5/16" Anderson System, Timken Bearings, Nitto recon’s, Firestone Rear Air Bags, Bilstein 5100’s, Mud Flaps & Weather Tech all.

I know Dometic has a long history of supporting our OTT Team and Owners. I suspect that they are aware of this issue and my positive side hopes that down the road they can work up a solution for the 310's.  Likely though a smart printer team will just start making a proper rebuild kit as other Dometic toilets now offer.  Either way, There is so much "head room" between the cost to produce such a kit and th cost of a new toilet.  As such, it is likely one of the two good solutions will happen.  My hopes anyway,.

• Thanks 2
  • Like 1

CS,

i have ben looking at some replacement parts for other OTT components.  i came across this site https://youngfartsrvparts.com/pages/contact

i have not talked to them yet, but i saw someone else recommended them for a broken/missing part for an awning.

They are located in Alberta, but they ship to the US.

Regards, Bryan

Maggie & Bryan | Arnegard, ND | 2020 LE II "Twins" Hull #665 | 2021 RAM 2500  6.4L HEMI Gasser  4dr  6.5' bed

ABBCMBNBNTNSONPEQCSKYTALARCTDEFLGAILINIAKSKYLAMEMDMAMIMNMSMONENHNJNYNCNDOHOKPARISCSDTNTXVTVAWVWIxlg.jpg.d41b39fcf844ad1935d35acdc8a6c203.jpg

5 hours ago, SNY SD UP said:

CS,

i have ben looking at some replacement parts for other OTT components.  i came across this site https://youngfartsrvparts.com/pages/contact

i have not talked to them yet, but i saw someone else recommended them for a broken/missing part for an awning.

They are located in Alberta, but they ship to the US.

Regards, Bryan

Thanks Bryan.  

I'll call them in the morning.  Chuck

Update:

The Dometic 310 Gravity Toilet, White, Standard Height but upgraded to wood, slow close seat was initially priced at $220 on Amazon.  Then went up to $295.  Late last week it dropped to $150 so I just bit the bulllit and ordered it.  If for some reason it's not correct, it's free returns.   I'll add the Beech Lane upgraded valve (see Brian's recommendation above) just because it'll be easier prior to installing the toilet.

When I'm done, I should have some toilet parts to sell here!

1 hour ago, chuckstovall said:

Update:

The Dometic 310 Gravity Toilet, White, Standard Height but upgraded to wood, slow close seat was initially priced at $220 on Amazon.  Then went up to $295.  Late last week it dropped to $150 so I just bit the bulllit and ordered it.  If for some reason it's not correct, it's free returns.   I'll add the Beech Lane upgraded valve (see Brian's recommendation above) just because it'll be easier prior to installing the toilet.

When I'm done, I should have some toilet parts to sell here!

You'll need low profile model 311 or 321 for the LEII. This standard height one will be pretty uncomfortable to use.

deleted as posted to wrong thread.

• 2 months later...

Ain't nuthin' easy!  🙂

I've exhausted every avenue I can think of and am resigned to just ordering another toilet and throw out the perfectly good (except for the broken underengineered connection from pedal shaft to flusher ball) one the came with the Ollie.  

I'm ready to order a new 310 which is what the sticker on the OEM toilet says.  Went out to measure and verify and found that my toilet is 15 inches from bottom of base to top of the lid (when closed) or 15.5 inches from base to top of porcelain at the back of the hinged lid area.   Dometic's specs for the 310 (standard height) say 18 inches and for the 311 (low-profile) say 13.5 inches.  Looking at my pictures of mine (first pic), mine is just between heights.  What??  I'll reopen my ticket with Oliver and see what they have to say.  (I also note the fluted shape of the bowl on mine is similar to the 310, but very dissimilar to the rounded shape of the 311, but the stand on which the porcelain bowl rests appears much shorter on mine than the 310 and more similar in height to the 311).  So confusing.   Anyone have any thots?

.IMG_8164.thumb.jpeg.90334c6f3c0b731074c7c069d75b1e51.jpeg1828698260_Image1-9-23at10_39AM.thumb.jpeg.1e0a8274e0b74ca9612493f54f6bee5b.jpeg

B438E4E0-1FB6-4E83-A5B0-522F57BBBD8F.png

IMG_8165.jpeg

Chuck:

That height tilt got me as well.  I'm thinking I'm all "flushed out" on this brand.  In the mean time, maybe a few Sears and Roebuck catalogs can be found for foot rests.  😞

Please do advise on what you figure out  about this dung home cover.  

OLLIE OWNERS:  Are there other brands that are maintainable out there we could migrate to?  thanks

GJ

It's my understanding that the 310 and 311 use the same porcelain bowl but with different height polymer bases.  Here's a picture of the sticker on my 2018 311. It measures 13 inches from floor to top of bowl rim. I'm replacing this with a Thetford Aqua-Magic Style II low profile. It is about an inch shorter however.

82625C58-6C1F-41F3-A702-AFEFED59BF37.jpeg

Geronimo John -- Well said!  I wish there were another alternative, but to be fair, Dometic customer service has been responded to my emails the last couple of days and I remain hopeful that they'll at least get me some useful info.  I'll share what I learn.  Meantime, I'm starting a search for some Sears and Roebucks and/or Montgomery Ward's catalogues.

bhncb -- thank you.  Was the 311 in your Ollie?  When I compare the pics from Dometic's website, it really looks to me that the porcelain bowl on the 310 is fluted but the bowl on the 311 is more rounded.  I'll be interested to know if the Thetford is any more robust than the Dometic.  The guts of the pedal to flush ball connection are horrendously under-engineered and I do believe that your assertion that the Oliver base torques the pedal when fully depressed exacerbates the issue.

I'm currently waiting on a response from Dometic customer service as to what exact model I need to order.  I just sent them a pic of the label from my toilet so they have the S/N, etc.  I'm wondering if Oliver didn't spec a 310 with a 311 base?  I'm sure I can't get that particular combo.  I might go with the 311 as it's only 1.5" lower than the actual measured 310 I have and it might be more comfortable for my wife.  Of course, the 311 is significantly more expensive than the 310!!

Just got a reply on my Oliver ticket:  We use the Dometic 311  low-profile  on our campers today.  The Dometic 310 may have changed specs since the install on your camper in 2017.   That may answer my follow-up question to bhncb.

Thanks all for your input.  I'll update as this saga continues.  (We are headed to AZ mid-February, so hopefully I get some movement.  I couldn't resist -- sorry again!)

• Like 1

GJ: Yes that's the original from my 2018. They may have decided to just assign a different model number to the 310 instead of referring to them as standard and low profile. Does your label say Dometic or Sealand?  Yours may be what was available during the brand name changeover.

I decided to go with the Thetford because: 1. I have a long history with them in the marine environment.  2. They are more serviceable from a replacement parts prospective. 3. The lower height will be more comfortable for us since I've decided to nolonger use my teak shower pan insert. 4. It's not a Dometic.

• Thanks 1
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, bhncb said:

It's my understanding that the 310 and 311 use the same porcelain bowl but with different height polymer bases.  Here's a picture of the sticker on my 2018 311. It measures 13 inches from floor to top of bowl rim. I'm replacing this with a Thetford Aqua-Magic Style II low profile. It is about an inch shorter however.

Thanks so much.  You got me looking at the Thetford Aqua-Magic Style II low profile.  Have you already done the swap?  You mentioned good experience with Thetford.  Can you elaborate?  From what I can see, it should be plug and play?  

For us, it could be a great swap, very minimally lower than the current (older model 310 at 15" high) which would be good for my wife.  Cheaper (at least from Amazon) but without Free Return and I'm guessing it wouldn't be cheap to send back.  

5 hours ago, bhncb said:

I'm replacing this with a Thetford Aqua-Magic Style II low profile

37 minutes ago, chuckstovall said:

Thetford Aqua-Magic Style II low profile.

For sure when this Dometic blows up, I'll be buying a Thetford as you both are suggesting. 

Which specific model number are you each using?

I'm still researching GJ.  I'll either do another Dometic (311 if I do stay Dometic) or Thetford Aqua-Magic Style Plus low profile.  Both about the same cost.  Thetford appears to have much more in the way of replacement parts while Dometic offers next to none.  

2 hours ago, Geronimo John said:

Which specific model number are you each using?

Thetford 42061 Aqua-Magic Style II RV Toilet Low Profile - White with sprayer.

It is also available without the sprayer but you’d have to check the Thetford website for the model number. 

2 hours ago, chuckstovall said:

Have you already done the swap?  You mentioned good experience with Thetford.  Can you elaborate?

It hasn’t been fastened down yet but it’s ready to go. I had to replace the broken flange and buff out the gelcoat because the Thetford  base is slightly different/smaller and the Dometic wore a faint ring in it from being loose. Then I got sidetracked by other interests yadayada.
i haven’t ever had a Thetford break. Routine maintenance is easy and the parts are readily available. The whole flush pedal business is a much sturdier design and the pedal won’t bottom out directly on the beveled edge of the raised fiberglass base. Sure as you read this though, someone will counter with a different opinion.

• Thanks 1
  • Like 2