Jump to content

Howdy from Texas


TXGal
 Share

Recommended Posts

I'm a retired educator, living on 47 acres, raising cattle with my firefighter sons and trying to build a cottage on it to rent as a BnB. Ha, doesn't give me a lot of time to travel, but on the weekends, I enjoy going to Czech/German festivals and dancing to their great music.

I live approximately 7 miles from Waco. Since Chip and Joanna have placed Waco on the map with their HGTV  (Magnolia Network) Fixer Upper show and Silos, the city has become very busy. No problem, I enjoy meeting and talking with people  The other day I helped a couple, who had flown in from England, find their BnB. They were delightful and very appreciative when I told them to "follow me" and drove the .5 mile distance to their destination.

They made me think about renting camp/RV sites on my property for the total solar eclipse coming on April 8, 2024. Waco is in the center of the eclipse path! Baylor University is coordinating with Lowell Observatory and Discovery Channel to broadcast presentations by astronomers from the Baylor McLane Stadium. Will be a huge event!

I don't have a RV currently, due to my current commitments, but hope to get back into RVing. The Oliver or "Ollie" as I've seen it called on this forum, sounds like a reliable and comfortable option.

Hope to read about everyone's adventures and any recommendations that can be given.

Thanks!

  • Like 8
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Hello TXGal,

I live not to far from you on Lake of the Pines, just outside of Jefferson, T X.  If you ever wish to look over my Oliver LE2, you are more than welcome.  I would be happy to show, and tell, all that I know.  Mine is a 2015 model, but in excellent condition.  There are lots of camping sites all around the lake.

Steve R.

  • Like 3

ARLAPATNTXVAWVsm.jpg
 

2015 Oliver Elite 2

Hull #106

2019 Ford F-250 Super Duty, 6.7 diesel 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Howdy TXGal, 

Welcome to the forum!
Sounds like you have an ideal location and the land  to become a Harvest Host for RVers passing through Waco. 
We certainly love the quality of our Ollie.
I hope you get the opportunity to see one in person, you will love how well it is constructed. 
 

  • Like 1

2021 Dodge Ram 1500 

2021 Oliver Elite ll 

Hull #732 

Michigan 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, TXGal said:

Hope to read about everyone's adventures and any recommendations that can be given.

We pick up our Legacy Elite II in a couple of weeks.  I have been researching travel trailers, and hanging out on this Forum, for the past 18 months to inform that decision, and get educated as much as possible about the Elite II  before delivery.

Why did we choose to order an expensive Oliver?  There are many reasons, beginning with the 4-hull fiberglass design which is hypoallergenic.  I am highly allergic to cat dander, thus the decision to own a travel trailer rather than stay in motels (where "pet free" rooms almost never are).  My wife is allergic to mold and mildew, so the 4-hull fiberglass design is very attractive to us.  Any water that penetrates the outer hull usually drains between hulls and out through the scupper holes in the bottom hull.  This is much better than wicking into wood (of which there is very little in the Oliver), and eventually causing the mold and mildew so common in "stick and staple," and even aluminum, trailers.

Search the pages of this Forum and you will find dozens of threads demonstrating that Oliver's Service Department is competent and responsive.

Is production quality control flawless?  No.  But based on my review of this and other RV forums, Oliver's quality control is much better than its competitors, including Airstream.  And, I am persuaded that Oliver Service Department personnel actually care, and are usually effective at promptly resolving revealed production oversights.

Send a Private Message to Ghostriderc227 to set up an appointment to tour the Oliver near you.  Carefully evaluate the build quality and design.  That, and the points referenced above, are what sold us before we put money down on our Elite II.

  • Like 2

 

Hull #1291

Central Idaho

2022 Elite II

Tow Vehicle:  2019 Tundra Double Cab 4x4, 5.7L with tow package

spacer.png

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • Moderators

Hey TXGal, welcome to the forum.  There are now quite a few Texas Oliver owners.  We’re near Boerne, just north of San Antonio.  We camp a lot at Mother Neff State Park, near Waco.  If you’ve got questions this is the place to be!  Mike

  • Like 1

Texas Hill Country | Elite II #135 | Ram 2500 6.7L

ALAZARCACOFLGAIDILKSKYLAMDMSMOMTNENVNMNYNCNDOHOKSCSDTNTXUTVAWVWYsm.jpgALAZARCACOCTDEFLGAIDILINIAKSKYLAMEMDMAMS

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 10/22/2022 at 8:35 PM, Ghostriderc227 said:

Hello TXGal,

I live not to far from you on Lake of the Pines, just outside of Jefferson, T X.  If you ever wish to look over my Oliver LE2, you are more than welcome.  I would be happy to show, and tell, all that I know.  Mine is a 2015 model, but in excellent condition.  There are lots of camping sites all around the lake.

Steve R.

Thank you!

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 10/22/2022 at 10:54 PM, Katjo said:

Howdy TXGal, 

Welcome to the forum!
Sounds like you have an ideal location and the land  to become a Harvest Host for RVers passing through Waco. 
We certainly love the quality of our Ollie.
I hope you get the opportunity to see one in person, you will love how well it is constructed. 
 

Thanks for the welcome! I'll have to look into becoming a Harvest Host. My husband and I enjoy meeting people and traveling whenever the opportunity occurs.

Sara

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 10/22/2022 at 11:26 PM, Rivernerd said:

We pick up our Legacy Elite II in a couple of weeks.  I have been researching travel trailers, and hanging out on this Forum, for the past 18 months to inform that decision, and get educated as much as possible about the Elite II  before delivery.

Why did we choose to order an expensive Oliver?  There are many reasons, beginning with the 4-hull fiberglass design which is hypoallergenic.  I am highly allergic to cat dander, thus the decision to own a travel trailer rather than stay in motels (where "pet free" rooms almost never are).  My wife is allergic to mold and mildew, so the 4-hull fiberglass design is very attractive to us.  Any water that penetrates the outer hull usually drains between hulls and out through the scupper holes in the bottom hull.  This is much better than wicking into wood (of which there is very little in the Oliver), and eventually causing the mold and mildew so common in "stick and staple," and even aluminum, trailers.

Search the pages of this Forum and you will find dozens of threads demonstrating that Oliver's Service Department is competent and responsive.

Is production quality control flawless?  No.  But based on my review of this and other RV forums, Oliver's quality control is much better than its competitors, including Airstream.  And, I am persuaded that Oliver Service Department personnel actually care, and are usually effective at promptly resolving revealed production oversights.

Send a Private Message to Ghostriderc227 to set up an appointment to tour the Oliver near you.  Carefully evaluate the build quality and design.  That, and the points referenced above, are what sold us before we put money down on our Elite II.

Thanks, RiverNerd, for the information about Oliver's quality and its outstanding service department. My past experiences with travel trailers has been the thrown together and shoved out the manufacturer's door kind and never last! 

Will continue to gather info and plan my next step.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 10/23/2022 at 7:42 AM, Mike and Carol said:

Hey TXGal, welcome to the forum.  There are now quite a few Texas Oliver owners.  We’re near Boerne, just north of San Antonio.  We camp a lot at Mother Neff State Park, near Waco.  If you’ve got questions this is the place to be!  Mike

Thanks Mike & Carol, for your welcome. Thank you also for showing your interest in coming to my place outside of Waco for the solar eclipse watch.

It is beautiful in the Boerne area and we don't get there or Mother Neff enough. Maybe soon!

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 10/22/2022 at 10:54 PM, Katjo said:

Howdy TXGal, 

Welcome to the forum!
Sounds like you have an ideal location and the land  to become a Harvest Host for RVers passing through Waco. 
We certainly love the quality of our Ollie.
I hope you get the opportunity to see one in person, you will love how well it is constructed. 
 

Hey Katjo! I reviewed info about the Harvest Host. Sounds fun, but I don't have any type of business to promote. Ha, I wish my back pasture was a vineyard with a "tasting room" patio. Harvest Host is a wonderful concept!

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

8 minutes ago, TXGal said:

Hey Katjo! I reviewed info about the Harvest Host. Sounds fun, but I don't have any type of business to promote. Ha, I wish my back pasture was a vineyard with a "tasting room" patio. Harvest Host is a wonderful concept!

@TXGal Time for you to open a little vineyard!🍷😉

  • Like 1

2021 Dodge Ram 1500 

2021 Oliver Elite ll 

Hull #732 

Michigan 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Check out the Boondockers Welcome (https://www.boondockerswelcome.com/searchhosts/?gclid=EAIaIQobChMItNvVjZaC-wIVwpFbCh1J0QusEAAYASAAEgJyw_D_BwE) portion of harvest hosts, we've stayed at a few of thier places with very high marks. Also, you might consider becoming a Hipcamp (https://www.hipcamp.com/en-US) host which is where we've spent most of our camping nights. 

 

Welcome to the forum!

  • Like 2

spacer.pngAlbert & Terri Sterns

Currently Denver Based

Elite II Hull #1125 Standard Floorplan / 2017 Ford F250 gas

Link to comment
Share on other sites

8 hours ago, AlbertNTerri said:

Check out the Boondockers Welcome (https://www.boondockerswelcome.com/searchhosts/?gclid=EAIaIQobChMItNvVjZaC-wIVwpFbCh1J0QusEAAYASAAEgJyw_D_BwE) portion of harvest hosts, we've stayed at a few of thier places with very high marks. Also, you might consider becoming a Hipcamp (https://www.hipcamp.com/en-US) host which is where we've spent most of our camping nights. 

 

Welcome to the forum!

Thanks for the welcome! I’ve read about all three and they sound great. 

Right now I’m focusing on organizing a solar eclipse Ollie rally in Waco, Tx in April 2024. I have it listed in Events & Rallies.

Again, thanks for the “welcome” to the group.  

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
 Share

×
×
  • Create New...