Awning in the rain

Chris and Lisa

Hello,

I want give everyone one who posts on this forum a BIG THANK YOU.   We picked up Ms Ollie in July, traveled hill and dale from Tennessee to New York, Canada, Michigan and back home to California.  A lot of states and miles behind us.  Every little post has helped in a huge productive way .... and it is all inspirational when maybe you are having a less than perfect day.

So, with this said.  I do have a question about the curbside awning.  We were told at pick up not to use the awning in the rain.  It is made for sunshade and not rain protection. Big disappointment.  It would be wonderful to sit out on a warm rainy evening under the protection of little awning right next to Ms Ollie.

My question is, how do Oliver owners use their awnings?  We have not used it in the rain because we were told not to.  You cannot use it in any sort of wind because it retracts with the slightest wind gust.  So we it gets used very little.   

other little questions:

would like to change my graphics.  I don't know where my head was at when I decided on green and gold.  I took off the rear decal easily and now I'm thinking of taking off the front and maybe be brave to do the same on the sides.  Does anyone have experience in replacing the graphics?  I am assuming I could order a new set from the factory that actually matches the tow vehicle.  Replacing them is certainly low priority especially when learning to use all the systems. but my poor choice bugs me every time I look at the trailer.

Another sideline.  Months ago I asked for opinions of compost toilet v traditional flush/black holding tank.  We opted for the traditional flush system and have NOT regretted it for a second.  Oh, we did purchase a new holding tank connection cap that extends out and easier to twist (thanks to forum suggestions).  The location of the hose in the bumper is great, but getting to the hose connection was frustrating.

Thanks!

• Thanks 1
  • Like 5

IMG_7587.thumb.jpeg.9d23e68fdc70876ef18c60e9b8a62fb8.jpegChris and Lisa

2022 Oliver Elite II; Hull #1191; TV-2019 Toyota Tundra

Other Trailer: Camp-Inn 550 Teardrop

You can adjust the sensitivity of the wind sensor on your awning. 
We use our awning when it’s a light rain so I can keep the window open on that side, we just don’t put it all the way. 

• Thanks 1
  • Like 3

2021 Dodge Ram 1500 

2021 Oliver Elite ll 

Hull #732 

Michigan 

• Moderators

SCL- 

There are a fair number of owners who have either replaced or simply applied their own graphic in various places on Olivers - mainly the front.  There are a number of those that have posted both pictures and basic "how-to's" here on the Forum.  I'd contact Service about getting a new set (I'm not sure that they do this anymore) and I'd also contact local print shops as to cost and availability.

Hopefully owners with the newer style awnings will chime in here relative to your questions about rain.  I have the old style awning that can be left up in light rain and I believe that even these newer awnings can be left up as long as you do not allow water to collect.  The easiest way to do this is to only have the awning extended a small amount - (i.e.  half way or less) - and I certainly would not leave mine extended overnight or when I was not there regardless of that wind sensor feature.

Glad to hear that your trip home was good and very happy to hear that you have gain some knowledge and help from some of the threads here.

Bill

• Thanks 1
  • Like 1

2023 Ford F150 Lariat 3.5EB FX4 Max Towing, Max Payload, 2016 Oliver Elite II - Hull #117 "Twist"

1 hour ago, Katjo said:

You can adjust the sensitivity of the wind sensor on your awning. 
We use our awning when it’s a light rain so I can keep the window open on that side, we just don’t put it all the way. 

That's how I plan to use it.  The key is light rain.  I verified with Oliver if it could be used in light rain and they said yes.

John

• Thanks 1
  • Like 3

John and Debbie, Beaverton, Oregon,  2017 Ford Expedition EL 4x4 3.5 liter Ecoboost, with heavy duty tow package. Hull #1290, twin bed with Truma package (a/c, furnace, hot water heater with electric antifreeze option), lithium pro package, picked up November 7, 2022

spacer.png

1 hour ago, Santa Cruz Lisa said:

Hello,

I want give everyone one who posts on this forum a BIG THANK YOU.   We picked up Ms Ollie in July, traveled hill and dale from Tennessee to New York, Canada, Michigan and back home to California.  A lot of states and miles behind us.  Every little post has helped in a huge productive way .... and it is all inspirational when maybe you are having a less than perfect day.

So, with this said.  I do have a question about the curbside awning.  We were told at pick up not to use the awning in the rain.  It is made for sunshade and not rain protection. Big disappointment.  It would be wonderful to sit out on a warm rainy evening under the protection of little awning right next to Ms Ollie.

My question is, how do Oliver owners use their awnings?  We have not used it in the rain because we were told not to.  You cannot use it in any sort of wind because it retracts with the slightest wind gust.  So we it gets used very little.   

other little questions:

would like to change my graphics.  I don't know where my head was at when I decided on green and gold.  I took off the rear decal easily and now I'm thinking of taking off the front and maybe be brave to do the same on the sides.  Does anyone have experience in replacing the graphics?  I am assuming I could order a new set from the factory that actually matches the tow vehicle.  Replacing them is certainly low priority especially when learning to use all the systems. but my poor choice bugs me every time I look at the trailer.

Another sideline.  Months ago I asked for opinions of compost toilet v traditional flush/black holding tank.  We opted for the traditional flush system and have NOT regretted it for a second.  Oh, we did purchase a new holding tank connection cap that extends out and easier to twist (thanks to forum suggestions).  The location of the hose in the bumper is great, but getting to the hose connection was frustrating.

Thanks!

"Oh, we did purchase a new holding tank connection cap that extends out and easier to twist (thanks to forum suggestions)."

What does that look like?  It sounds useful.

John

John and Debbie, Beaverton, Oregon,  2017 Ford Expedition EL 4x4 3.5 liter Ecoboost, with heavy duty tow package. Hull #1290, twin bed with Truma package (a/c, furnace, hot water heater with electric antifreeze option), lithium pro package, picked up November 7, 2022

spacer.png

Lisa:

Great to hear your thoughts of a super fun initial run with your Oliver! 

It would be helpful if you would add your signature line showing the typical info about your TV and Ollie.  See Top Gun's above for a good example.  

Below are a few thoughts that have helped me become a bit "Awning Wiser". 

Our Ollie came with the manual awning.  As with Topgun2, we love sitting outside under it in "reasonable" rain storms.   For those owners with the older style manual awnings I garnered some great lessons learned (The hard way) during our TX to Alaska trip this summer:

A.  Even when expecting a "Reasonable" rain event, we would extend the awning about 1/2 to 2/3 out and cock the awning so that one side is higher than the other.  We have done this many times so that the runoff would dump aft vs. near the entry.  Works great.... BUT:  water weight on the lower side streached our awning to the point where it could not close for travel.  (For the Pros:  Yes I did all the adjustments to compensate, but they were not enough.)   Hence I gained an opportunity to convert my perfectly beautiful awning into a ground cover.  Most expensive ground cover we have ever acquired.  😞

B.  When replacing your awning, be VERY aware that securely tying off the awning arms at all three arms is IMPERATIVE.  My aft paracord line knot failed due to poor rope-man-ship by the owner.  At just the wrong moment, it self deployed.  Very quickly much to my surprise, it went from 20" to full open far faster than I could react.  Damage was total to the aft  awning arm center "Elbow" joint.  Please take extra time to carefully tie the arms off at the replacement open distance suggested in the installation instructions.   My one knot failure caused my worst DUHHHHHH moment in a long time.  (PS:  A candid comment by the Carefree Tech was:  "Sorry about your loss, sadly I see it all the time."  😞  

C.  Some professional awning experts advertise in the video's that they can replace their awning by themselves.  I stupidly believed them.  But from my one time experience, it was not true for this owner, and likely would be so for about  95% of us.  Awning replacement needed to be for me a full time two-person effort.  Also, it is a three person effort for at least one moment.  (See Item B above)

Despite the above learning opportunities, we continue to enjoy our awning even in rain storms.  As stated above, we caution to not have it full out if we anticipate any adverse weather. I also fill my milk crate (Front basket container for jack blocking) and my large Fortiflex feed buckets (basement storage) with local rocks.  They are then tied to each of the three awning legs to help keep them were we placed them.  Finally as suggested, we don't  leave it more than a foot out when not present. 

I hope that at lease one owner does not make the same dumb mistakes I learned this past summer.

GJ

• Thanks 1
  • Like 3
  • Sad 1

TV:  2019 F-150 SuperCrew Lariat, 3.5L EcoBoost, Max Tow, FX-4, Rear Locker      OLLIE:  2018 OE2 Hull 342, Twin Bed.    OLLIE DYI’s:  BB LiFePO4's, Victron 712 Smart, 350 Amp Master Switch, Houghton 3400, Victron Orion DC - DC, 3000-Watt Renogy Inverter, P.D. 60-amp Converter, Frig Dual Exhaust Fans, Kitchen Drawer Straps.    TV DYI’s:  2 5/16" Anderson System, Timken Bearings, Nitto recon’s, Firestone Rear Air Bags, Bilstein 5100’s, Mud Flaps & Weather Tech all.

image.jpeg.9633acdfb75740f0fd358e1a5118f105.jpeg

• Moderators
4 hours ago, Santa Cruz Lisa said:

Oh, we did purchase a new holding tank connection cap that extends out and easier to twist (thanks to forum suggestions).  The location of the hose in the bumper is great, but getting to the hose connection was frustrating.

There is no need to connect and disconnect the flush hose when you flush.  My hose has been connected for years.  After I dump I simply cap the end and stow the hose in the bumper area still connected to the trailer.  Mike

• Like 7

Texas Hill Country | 2016 Elite II #135 | 2020 Ram 2500 6.7L

ALAZARCACOFLGAIDILKSKYLAMDMSMOMTNENVNMNYNCNDOHOKSCSDTNTXUTVAWVWYsm.jpgALAZARCACOCTDEFLGAIDILINIAKSKYLAMEMDMAMS

3 hours ago, topgun2 said:

I'm thinking that THIS is what he is talking about.

Bill

Thanks Bill.

spacer.png

• Moderator+
21 hours ago, Santa Cruz Lisa said:

...Another sideline.  Months ago I asked for opinions of compost toilet v traditional flush/black holding tank.  We opted for the traditional flush system and have NOT regretted it for a second.  Oh, we did purchase a new holding tank connection cap that extends out and easier to twist (thanks to forum suggestions).  The location of the hose in the bumper is great, but getting to the hose connection was frustrating.

Thanks!

I agree about the difficulty of reaching up inside the bumper to attach the hose.  Many of us have discovered that it’s much easier to simply leave the dump hose connected to the outlet all the time. If you want you can attach a cap to the other end in case there’s any leakage. 

• Like 2

Steve, Tali and our dog Rocky plus our beloved Storm, Maggie, Lucy and Reacher (all waiting at the Rainbow Bridge)

2008 Legacy Elite I - Outlaw Oliver, Hull #026 | 2014 Legacy Elite II - Outlaw Oliver, Hull #050 | 2022 Silverado High Country 3500HD SRW Diesel 4x4 

801469912_StatesVisitedTaliandSteve08-23-2021-I.jpg.26814499292ab76ee55b889b69ad3ef0.jpg1226003278_StatesVisitedTaliandSteve08-23-2021-H.jpg.dc46129cb4967a7fd2531b16699e9e45.jpg

S C Lisa:

I removed my front Oliver graphic to replace it with a lighthouse picture made by my local sign shop (I provided them with a jpg image).

I used a couple of plastic razor blades. I also used a small hair dryer on the parts that came off hard. Just take your time and do not heat up the graphic/fiberglass too much.

• Like 1

2018 Oliver Elite II, Twin Bed, Hull #354 

2024 RAM 1500, 4 x 4; Gas. 5.7L V8 Hemi MDS VVT Torque; 3.21 rear axle ratio

Maine 

I agree with leaving a hose connected to the black discharge pipe. We do put a cap on the hose. It is easier to get the hose out than to connect it. If there is every any "drips" collecting in the hose at the next discharge just hold the hose up when removing the cap.

If your awning has the were with all to tip, slant it to the sIde. Actually tip it to the rear so that you can still open your door.

Decals. So many choices, and a chance to be unique. (As you might have noticed a lot of Olivers tend to look a lot alike). If you can start the peel process you can probably get the decals off. A heat gun ( hair dryer) will help. Now the exact decal on your TV is probably available at a dealer, but I would guess that a local sign shop is cheaper and probably b even better at installing. I would look for one that does police cars, commercial vehicles, and such as they are use to longer larger vehicles.

What are you thinking of putting on the front? It is a lot easier to recognize someone closing at 140 mph on the interstate if they have a unique decal...

• Like 1