Brake lights come on when disconnected from truck

• The title was changed to Brake lights come on when disconnected from truck

Hold the plug upside down and shake. Get used to storing it upside down too. A dielectric spray would not hurt. Long term could cause corrosion and hence a poor connection. ( I use WD40). We have found that the plug will fit between the frame and the plastic counts cover.

We used to hang it over the tounge in the winter too. Until one year soft fluffy snow built up and the wind caused my tailights to come on. it was a head scratcher at first, but the solution was easy...

A couple of additional comments… we found a rubber cover for the trailer 7-pin connector that keeps the water out if stored vertically. It MIGHT have come from eTrailer.com??

We also have a water resistant fabric cover over the head of the tongue jack, and sometimes slip the 7-pin connector up under that cover to keep it dry.

• Like 1

Tom & Holly

2018 Oliver Legacy Elite I #409 - 2017 Silverado 1500, 5.3L Gas, 4x4 Z71, Dbl Cab, Std Bed

2023-10-16OliverCampedStates(medium).jpg.8e9964c26c7927a0077806565b9dcfc2.jpg

44 minutes ago, ADKCamper said:

we found a rubber cover for the trailer 7-pin connector that keeps the water out if stored vertically. It MIGHT have come from eTrailer.com??

I got mine from Amazon for $10:

https://www.amazon.com/Optronics-ACP7S-Trailer-Harness-Protector/dp/B089N62GHN/ref=asc_df_B089N62GHN/?tag=hyprod-20&linkCode=df0&hvadid=532535399205&hvpos=&hvnetw=g&hvrand=13502820704720952598&hvpone=&hvptwo=&hvqmt=&hvdev=c&hvdvcmdl=&hvlocint=&hvlocphy=9029558&hvtargid=pla-1425403121436&psc=1

• Like 1

Hull #1291

Central Idaho

2022 Elite II

Tow Vehicle:  2019 Tundra Double Cab 4x4, 5.7L with tow package

ARCOIDNMOKORTNTXUTsm.jpg

• Moderators

Like others, we got a cord holder that mounts to the front jack post.  It covers the openings when the plug is seated.  Then, we cover the whole thing with a heavy duty cover that goes over the top of the jack and extends down past the plug holder.  Keeps it nice a dry.  Mike

• Like 2

Texas Hill Country | 2016 Elite II #135 | 2020 Ram 2500 6.7L

ALAZARCACOFLGAIDILKSKYLAMDMSMOMTNENVNMNYNCNDOHOKSCSDTNTXUTVAWVWYsm.jpgALAZARCACOCTDEFLGAIDILINIAKSKYLAMEMDMAMS

1 hour ago, Mike and Carol said:

Like others, we got a cord holder that mounts to the front jack post.  It covers the openings when the plug is seated.  Then, we cover the whole thing with a heavy duty cover that goes over the top of the jack and extends down past the plug holder.  Keeps it nice a dry.  Mike

Mike, do you have a picture of that?  I haven't bought a front jack post cover yet.

John

John and Debbie, Beaverton, Oregon,  2017 Ford Expedition EL 4x4 3.5 liter Ecoboost, with heavy duty tow package. Hull #1290, twin bed with Truma package (a/c, furnace, hot water heater with electric antifreeze option), lithium pro package, picked up November 7, 2022

spacer.png

41 minutes ago, topgun2 said:

John - 

HERE is a link to the replacement jack cover I recently bought.  There are a bunch of them out there to chose from.

Bill

Bill, do you put the pig tail up under that cover too?  I see some recommend putting a grease of some type on the plug to keep moisture out of it too.

John

John and Debbie, Beaverton, Oregon,  2017 Ford Expedition EL 4x4 3.5 liter Ecoboost, with heavy duty tow package. Hull #1290, twin bed with Truma package (a/c, furnace, hot water heater with electric antifreeze option), lithium pro package, picked up November 7, 2022

spacer.png

• Moderators

JW - 

HERE is an example of the grease that is being talked about.  I use a Q-tip to get down into the 7 way plug (pigtail).  You don't want to gunk it up in there - just enough to put a very thin coating on the metal parts.

No, I don't have one of those "fancy things" like Mike & Carol, Rivernerd, etc..  I simply loop the pigtail behind the jack and make sure that it is hanging in a downward direction.

Bill

p.s.  One week to go!  Have a great time!

2023 Ford F150 Lariat 3.5EB FX4 Max Towing, Max Payload, 2016 Oliver Elite II - Hull #117 "Twist"

• Moderators
On 10/30/2022 at 3:47 PM, John Welte said:

Mike, do you have a picture of that?  I haven't bought a front jack post cover yet.

John, here are links to my “fancy” (as Bill says) cord holder and cover.

Cover

Jack Post Cord Storage

I don’t really have a clear picture of them on the trailer.  I mount the storage thing high enough on the post so that when the plug is in it the jack cover is over the entire thing.  It’s worked well and isn’t expensive.  Mike

• Haha 1

Texas Hill Country | 2016 Elite II #135 | 2020 Ram 2500 6.7L

ALAZARCACOFLGAIDILKSKYLAMDMSMOMTNENVNMNYNCNDOHOKSCSDTNTXUTVAWVWYsm.jpgALAZARCACOCTDEFLGAIDILINIAKSKYLAMEMDMAMS

See this holder 

Oliver Outfitters Guide on Amazon

We mounted it on our tongue box. 64ACAFBE-1D65-45FB-957E-22EF081139EA.thumb.jpeg.c161cfa9e34b15524c77c315a291da09.jpeg

• Like 2

2019 Elite II (Hull 505 - Galway Girl - August 7, 2019 Delivery) 
Tow Vehicle: 2021 F350 King Ranch, FX4, MaxTow Package, 10 Speed, 3.55 Rear Axle
Batteries Upgrade: Dual 315GTX Lithionics Lithiums - 630AH Total
Inverter/Charger: Xantrex 2000Pro 

Travel BLOG:  https://4-ever-hitched.com

IMG_5421.jpeg.c1f697a00240a9bd6729b0930bd3a4aa.jpeg