New guy

Mike11

• Moderators

Welcome Mike11!

You're in for an interesting ride.

I'd suggest that you start reading as many of the questions that those unfamiliar with Olivers have already been posted - some many times over.

Also, don't forget about perusing the Oliver University where much can be learned not only about Olivers but many times about RV's in general.

Have fun and don't be afraid to let those questions fly.

Bill 

• Like 2

2023 Ford F150 Lariat 3.5EB FX4 Max Towing, Max Payload, 2016 Oliver Elite II - Hull #117 "Twist"

• Moderators

Hey Mike, welcome to the forum.  There is a lot of information you can spend time on here.  Also, from NW Arkansas you aren’t too far from the factory in Hohenwald.  It would be worth a trip there to take a tour and see some trailers there.  As you think of questions just make a post and you’ll get lots of answers, experience and opinions!  Mike

• Like 3

Texas Hill Country | 2016 Elite II #135 | 2020 Ram 2500 6.7L

ALAZARCACOFLGAIDILKSKYLAMDMSMOMTNENVNMNYNCNDOHOKSCSDTNTXUTVAWVWYsm.jpgALAZARCACOCTDEFLGAIDILINIAKSKYLAMEMDMAMS

Welcome Mike. 
I joined and started learning about Olivers about a year ago. We have a month to go until we pick up our E2. The forum has been a great resource and the members have been very helpful. The learning process has been enjoyable. 
Good luck! 
Kirk

p.s. I grew up on a cattle farm north of Mountain Home, we live in Idaho now. 

• Thanks 1
  • Like 4

Kirk and Carrie Peterson

Twin Falls, Idaho

2018 Ram 3500, with overland conversion: Rooftop tent, water, stove, Battle Born batteries, lockers, onboard air, raised air intake, Warn winch. 

2023 Elite 2, twin beds, delivered December 5, 2022 Truma package, lithium platinum package.
Hull #1305

Hi, Mike. We spent a lot of time on this forum, first deciding if we wanted to buy an Oliver, then learning all the particulars so we were well prepared and equipped when we took delivery.

One note: the online search function here is terrible. We use Google and start the search phrase with "Oliver trailers" followed by whatever we're looking for.

Have fun browsing.

• Like 4
  • Love 1

Stephanie and Dudley from CT.  2022 LE2, Hull #1150: Eggcelsior.

Tow vehicle: 2016 GMC Sierra 6.0 gas dually 4x4.

Our Oliver journey: Steph and Dud B's RV Screed

Where we've been RVing since 1999:

ALAZCACOCTDEFLGAIDILINIAKYLAMEMDMAMIMNMSMOMTNENVNHNMNYNCNDOHOKORPASCSDTNTXUTVTVAWAWVWIWYmed.jpg.b96241bad6752dec89d25af6ffbc8d99.jpg

2 hours ago, Steph and Dud B said:

Hi, Mike. We spent a lot of time on this forum, first deciding if we wanted to buy an Oliver, then learning all the particulars so we were well prepared and equipped when we took delivery.

One note: the online search function here is terrible. We use Google and start the search phrase with "Oliver trailers" followed by whatever we're looking for.

Have fun browsing.

I wondered if I was doing my searches wrong as I think it's terrible too.

John

• Like 1
  • Love 1

John and Debbie, Beaverton, Oregon,  2017 Ford Expedition EL 4x4 3.5 liter Ecoboost, with heavy duty tow package. Hull #1290, twin bed with Truma package (a/c, furnace, hot water heater with electric antifreeze option), lithium pro package, picked up November 7, 2022

spacer.png

Hi Mike, welcome to the forum.  They're a great group of people with a wealth of information.  Ask any question.  Oliver University and videos are very helpful.

John

• Like 2

John and Debbie, Beaverton, Oregon,  2017 Ford Expedition EL 4x4 3.5 liter Ecoboost, with heavy duty tow package. Hull #1290, twin bed with Truma package (a/c, furnace, hot water heater with electric antifreeze option), lithium pro package, picked up November 7, 2022

spacer.png

• Moderator+
6 hours ago, Mike11 said:

Just joined up. Thinking of down sizing to a high quality trailer and learned about the Oliver. I have several questions and I am anxious to read what those who own one have to say about their trailer.

Your first big decision will be your tow vehicle (TV) and it will determine whether you have to make a choice between the Elite and the Elite II. Ideally, the plan should be to choose the trailer model you want and then buy a TV that will serve as the best. There have been literally thousands of words written about this, both here and on other forums.

I have gone through five different TV's in the past 15 years towing both an Elite and then an Elite II. Personally, for a comfortable towing experience, I would consider the very minimum TV for the Elite to have a towing capacity of at least 7500 pounds, preferably more. For the Elite II, 10,000 pounds or greater, diesel rather than gas and with any TV the highest payload I could get. If you make the correct TV choice now, on the front end, you will save yourself enough money to fuel anything you buy for the next decade. The cost of a wrong choice now will easily add up to equal another fully optioned Oliver EII over the same time period in TV replacement costs. Choose wisely.

• Like 4

Steve, Tali and our dog Rocky plus our beloved Storm, Maggie, Lucy and Reacher (all waiting at the Rainbow Bridge)

2008 Legacy Elite I - Outlaw Oliver, Hull #026 | 2014 Legacy Elite II - Outlaw Oliver, Hull #050 | 2022 Silverado High Country 3500HD SRW Diesel 4x4 

801469912_StatesVisitedTaliandSteve08-23-2021-I.jpg.26814499292ab76ee55b889b69ad3ef0.jpg1226003278_StatesVisitedTaliandSteve08-23-2021-H.jpg.dc46129cb4967a7fd2531b16699e9e45.jpg

7 hours ago, Mike11 said:

Just joined up. Thinking of down sizing to a high quality trailer and learned about the Oliver. I have several questions and I am anxious to read what those who own one have to say about their trailer.

Hello and welcome to the Forum!
You will find a wealth of information here on the forum! 
We love our Oliver, it is indeed a high quality camper. 
Here is a testimonial video my husband and I did about our Ollie. 

• Like 3

2021 Dodge Ram 1500 

2021 Oliver Elite ll 

Hull #732 

Michigan 

9 hours ago, ScubaRx said:

For the Elite II, 10,000 pounds or greater, diesel rather than gas

We do fine with our gas 3500. While I enjoyed the torque of my diesel, I couldn't justify the extra expense of DEF and the higher repair and maintenance costs of diesel for a 6500# trailer. Maybe if we were full timing or traveling extensively in the mountains.

• Like 2

ALAZCACOCTDEFLGAIDILINIAKYLAMEMDMAMIMNMSMOMTNENVNHNMNYNCNDOHOKORPASCSDTNTXUTVTVAWAWVWIWYmed.jpg.b96241bad6752dec89d25af6ffbc8d99.jpg

Welcome @Mike11. It sounds like you are downsizing from perhaps a 5th wheel. We had a much larger travel trailer several years ago ourselves so the towing and all that comes with a smaller travel trailer should be a joy. Learning to live in a smaller space will take a little more effort for us. We placed our LE2 order a couple weeks ago so the learning and preparing is just ramping up. I'm very much looking forward to the convenient size of the Oliver and love the idea of being able to stay in places the larger rigs can only dream about. I too highly recommend the factory tour, they are very warm and knowledgeable folks at Oliver and will go out of their way to make your visit worth while and enjoyable. 

• Like 3

What's today?............. the most frequently asked question as a retiree 🙄

Chris and Stacie Neuhaus Greenfield, Indiana

2021 Ford F350 7.3L Tremor (Redzilla)

LE2 #1373 - Ordered 10/21/22 - Delivered 05/10/23

States Visited Map

• Moderator+
2 hours ago, Steph and Dud B said:

We do fine with our gas 3500. While I enjoyed the torque of my diesel, I couldn't justify the extra expense of DEF and the higher repair and maintenance costs of diesel for a 6500# trailer. Maybe if we were full timing or traveling extensively in the mountains.

I don't disagree with you, but as I said, "Personally..."

Steve, Tali and our dog Rocky plus our beloved Storm, Maggie, Lucy and Reacher (all waiting at the Rainbow Bridge)

2008 Legacy Elite I - Outlaw Oliver, Hull #026 | 2014 Legacy Elite II - Outlaw Oliver, Hull #050 | 2022 Silverado High Country 3500HD SRW Diesel 4x4 

801469912_StatesVisitedTaliandSteve08-23-2021-I.jpg.26814499292ab76ee55b889b69ad3ef0.jpg1226003278_StatesVisitedTaliandSteve08-23-2021-H.jpg.dc46129cb4967a7fd2531b16699e9e45.jpg

6 minutes ago, ScubaRx said:

I don't disagree with you, but as I said, "Personally..."

Absolutely, there's no "one size fits all." We loved our diesel when we had a fifth wheel. Effortless towing.

We have been pulling our 2017, since 2017, with a 2500 gas Ram. It has been more than adequate and quite comfortable. Easiest unit we have ever winterized. Have backed it down a narrow mountain road when the Garmin didn't know the rain had washed out the road. Have had a meal and an extended "nap" in a warm unit, at a rest area, when a sudden ice/sleet/snow storm came barreling through.  Have camped at a small city park, next to a stone building with a working water wheel. No room for bigger units. I have seen and owned SOBs (some other brands) and would never go back.

Welcome from Maine and hull #211. Ask any question, and weigh your answers. Some k but even be correct. See you around a campfire someplace...

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...

Mike, Welcome!

We purchased our 2015 LE2 Ollie used during 2016, really like camping with Ollie. Don't have factory solar on our Ollie, use two 100W Renogy suitcase solar panels with a single Battleborn 100W lithium battery.   Tow Ollie with a 2022 Toyota Tundra, nice combination for us. Plenty of very knowledgeable folks here for input on camping & towing an Ollie.

Bill #75 LE2