Heater only blowing cold air

Went camping this past weekend (Nov 4-6) at Shaver Lake, CA. Temps were 20 to 46 degrees throughout our stay. The last night, the heater would only blow cool air. We just bundled up for the night.

Turns out we had plenty of propane; everything else was working. I searched the Ollie sight the next day (found something once) where someone had the same problem. I took off the exterior heater panel and checked connections; all secure. I blew into the compartment with my own breath and force and a very small amount of dust came out (hull 1019 is less than a year old) Turned on the furnace again, and it worked! What's up with that?

Dave & Terri Mazone

2022 LII Hull #1019

TV: 2001 Chevy Silverado 2500 HD diesel, Crew Cab (4WD)

Based on what I have seen on this forum, you may have had some type of a bug that left a web in the area where the flame starts heating the furnace. 

I had the same problem you had a year ago and installed a screen over the furnace outlet, which I saw was recommended on this forum.

I have not had a problem since.

• Like 3

2018 Oliver Elite II, Twin Bed, Hull #354 

2024 RAM 1500, 4 x 4; Gas. 5.7L V8 Hemi MDS VVT Torque; 3.21 rear axle ratio

Maine 

• Moderators
5 hours ago, Dave Mazone said:

I blew into the compartment with my own breath and force and a very small amount of dust came out (hull 1019 is less than a year old) Turned on the furnace again, and it worked! What's up with that?

A small can of compressed air is your friend.  Just do not use that can and direct the air back into the propane jet.  Dusty roads are not your friend as aren't bugs.  Obviously it only takes a very small amount of dust to "gum up the works".

Bill

• Like 2
  • Love 1

2023 Ford F150 Lariat 3.5EB FX4 Max Towing, Max Payload, 2016 Oliver Elite II - Hull #117 "Twist"

It's also conceivable that the sail switch was being impeded and your messing around in the compartment got just enough dust off of its mechanism that it was able to switch when the air flow started (the sail switch involves a flap - i.e. "sail" - that sits in the flow of cabin air that rushes through the furnace when it's running, and my understanding is that it's meant to ensure that the flame won't go on unless there's sufficient flow through the furnace to keep that flame's heat from building up too high w/in the furnace due to low air flow. BUT the switch is prone to not working properly when it gets gunked up with sufficient amounts of dust or pet hair or such. 

My guess is that it's more likely what dewdev described, though, unless you blow into the area where the fan is that moves the air from the return into the ducts, which is where the switch sits.

• Like 4

Jim and  Yanna, Woodinville WA

2004 Ford E250 camper conversion

Oliver Elite II hull #709

12 hours ago, dewdev said:

Based on what I have seen on this forum, you may have had some type of a bug that left a web in the area where the flame starts heating the furnace. 

I had the same problem you had a year ago and installed a screen over the furnace outlet, which I saw was recommended on this forum.

I have not had a problem since.

Hi Jim,

It was something, but mighty small if so. I had the bug screen installed before I left Hohenwald. I think it was a tiny bit of dust. ???

• Like 1

Dave & Terri Mazone

2022 LII Hull #1019

9 hours ago, topgun2 said:

A small can of compressed air is your friend.  Just do not use that can and direct the air back into the propane jet.  Dusty roads are not your friend as aren't bugs.  Obviously it only takes a very small amount of dust to "gum up the works".

Bill

Where is the propane jet? I wasn't able to see anything (but I don't know what I'm looking for either)?

• Like 1

Dave & Terri Mazone

2022 LII Hull #1019

• Like 3

SOLD 07/23 "Mouse":  2017 Legacy Elite II Two Beds, Hull Number 218, See my HOW TO threads: https://olivertraveltrailers.com/topic/john-e-davies-how-to-threads-and-tech-articles-links/

Tow Vehicle: 2013 Land Cruiser 200, 32” LT tires, airbags, Safari snorkel, Maggiolina Grand Tour 360 Carbon RTT.

• 2 months later...

I couldn’t find a thread specific to this, so am putting it here…

How are the heather vents removed. Mine collect a fair amount of dust and lint and I’d like to remove them to give them a good cleaning. 

• Like 1

Kim and David Thompson Nomads' Nest 2018 LE2 #366 2018 Toyota Tundra, 4x4, 5.7L

30 minutes ago, thompsonkd said:

How are the heather vents removed.

If you're talking about the interior vent louvers, I believe they just snap on. I accidently kicked one off with my foot and I just snapped it back into place.

• Like 1

Stephanie and Dudley from CT.  2022 LE2, Hull #1150: Eggcelsior.

Tow vehicle: 2016 GMC Sierra 6.0 gas dually 4x4.

Our Oliver journey: Steph and Dud B's RV Screed

Where we've been RVing since 1999:

ALAZCACOCTDEFLGAIDILINIAKYLAMEMDMAMIMNMSMOMTNENVNHNMNYNCNDOHOKORPASCSDTNTXUTVTVAWAWVWIWYmed.jpg.b96241bad6752dec89d25af6ffbc8d99.jpg