Ford 3.5 EcoBoost Phaser Rattle Update

Geronimo John

Granted this post is not about our "Wonder Egg's".  However more than a few of us are towing our OTT's with late model Fords with the very capable 3.5L EcoBoost engines.  This post BRIEFLY addresses those engines and their faults.  

ENGINE GENERATIONS:

·       Gen 1:  2011 – 2016:   (Have problems with: Phaser Rattle, Turbo’s, Timing Set, Others)

·       Gen 2:  2016 – 2017:  (Fixed about all the Gen 1 issues except the Phaser Rattle issue)

·       Gen 2:  2021+              (No new problems Identified that I am aware of, but they now have an again redesigned phasers. 

UPDATED PHASERS:   Old part numbers start with a HC3S.  The new phaser stock numbers start with ML3Z.  New ones have a semi-enclosed face (Can’t see sprocket).  This semi-enclosed face I suspect captures oil to lube the cam sprocket while system oil pressure builds and stabilizes.  With oil, the phaser rattle is reported to be solved.  Stock numbers for the new design are: 

·       ML3Z – 6256A       Cam Intake Phaser     

·       ML3Z – 6C525A     Cam Exhaust Phaser            

Any owner of Ecoboost engines model year 2020 and older:  Make sure you get the new Phasers for your engine, not old stock as Ford is currently (as of this date) still selling and using.     

For more info about this topic, kindly review this video:  

• Like 2

TV:  2019 F-150 SuperCrew Lariat, 3.5L EcoBoost, Max Tow, FX-4, Rear Locker      OLLIE:  2018 OE2 Hull 342, Twin Bed.    OLLIE DYI’s:  BB LiFePO4's, Victron 712 Smart, 350 Amp Master Switch, Houghton 3400, Victron Orion DC - DC, 3000-Watt Renogy Inverter, P.D. 60-amp Converter, Frig Dual Exhaust Fans, Kitchen Drawer Straps.    TV DYI’s:  2 5/16" Anderson System, Timken Bearings, Nitto recon’s, Firestone Rear Air Bags, Bilstein 5100’s, Mud Flaps & Weather Tech all.

image.jpeg.9633acdfb75740f0fd358e1a5118f105.jpeg

• Moderators

GJ - 

Thanks for posting this.

I have never had any issues to include "rattles" with either of the two 3.5 Ford's I've owned.

I presently have my third 3.5 on order and will be shortly selling my 2017 that only has 44,000 miles on the clock.  I am consistently amazed with this engine.

Bill

• Like 1

2023 Ford F150 Lariat 3.5EB FX4 Max Towing, Max Payload, 2016 Oliver Elite II - Hull #117 "Twist"

4 hours ago, topgun2 said:

Thanks for posting this.

I have never had any issues to include "rattles" with either of the two 3.5 Ford's I've owned.

I presently have my third 3.5 on order and will be shortly selling my 2017 that only has 44,000 miles on the clock.  I am consistently amazed with this engine.

Bill

I also have a bit over 40K miles on our 2019.  Guessing that 75% of those miles have been pulling hard with our OE2 in tow.  Vast majority at interstate speed (plus) from TX to mountain sites out west.  Because of the phaser rattle history on these engines, I purchased the FORD extended warranty.  Like you, we have had no issues at all and also are consistently amazed with this engine.  🙂  

For every dry start (Not having been run for a few days or longer), I use what I call the F-150 EcoBoost Forum "Full Throttle No Start" procedure to pressurize the oil system without the engine getting fuel.  I believe that using this process has and will greatly extend the life of the old style phasers:

• Hold the gas pedal to the floor.  This action tells the computer to not allow the fuel injectors to send fuel into the combustion chambers.  No fuel and your motor will not start.
  • Crank your engine for 10 to 15 secs at a time.  Wait a bit in-between spins so the starter can cool a bit.
  • While spinning the engine, watch your oil pressure gauge.  It will climb as the oil pump pressurizes the oil galleries, turbos, timing chains and most importantly your phasers.  
  • When the oil pressure reaches "normal", take your foot off the gas peddle and your engine will fire off and run.

I won a beer off my brother who said the above would not work.  It does on all the Ford EcoBoost engines we have tried it on.    

GJ

• Like 2

TV:  2019 F-150 SuperCrew Lariat, 3.5L EcoBoost, Max Tow, FX-4, Rear Locker      OLLIE:  2018 OE2 Hull 342, Twin Bed.    OLLIE DYI’s:  BB LiFePO4's, Victron 712 Smart, 350 Amp Master Switch, Houghton 3400, Victron Orion DC - DC, 3000-Watt Renogy Inverter, P.D. 60-amp Converter, Frig Dual Exhaust Fans, Kitchen Drawer Straps.    TV DYI’s:  2 5/16" Anderson System, Timken Bearings, Nitto recon’s, Firestone Rear Air Bags, Bilstein 5100’s, Mud Flaps & Weather Tech all.

image.jpeg.9633acdfb75740f0fd358e1a5118f105.jpeg