Clearcoat and Storage question

Ron and Phyllis

As I have washed and waxed Hull # 1209 Elite I, I inspected the roof and discovered an area that measures approximately 8 x 10 inches that is very rough and it appears that the clearcoat finish is just too thin.  I think I am seeing the underlying fiberglas.  My delivery was Aug 11 and I did not look at the roof.  I remember a discussion about caulking just after this.  My caulking in visible areas is excellent but it's very obvious that the same care was not taken on the roof.  I could have done a much better job myself.  My question though is about the clearcoat.  Should I have this corrected.  I'm attaching photos.  The darkness is not dirt, it will not wash off.  

Also I am storing Li'l Ollie for the winter in a carport type shed that I had built.  It's well covered but open on the ends.  I planned to keep electricity to the unit (AGM'S) and a dehumidifier running inside.   My question is about the cushions.  I always removed my cushions from my A-frame popup and stored them indoors to prevent rodent or insect (ant) damage if not used even for a few weeks.  Thoughts, advice.

Thanks,

Ron

IMG_6654.JPEG

IMG_6750.JPEG

IMG_6756.JPEG

• Sad 2

• Moderators

Have you tried polishing those black spots?  Have you sent these pics to Oliver Service?

I too use dehumidifiers in my Ollie while stored.  I do take my single mattress out for the Winter but I leave the regular cushions in.  They are stored in a vertical position though just to make sure that air gets a chance to circulate around them. 

Bill

p.s.  Really wish I had an Ollie port like you and Patriot.

• Like 3

2023 Ford F150 Lariat 3.5EB FX4 Max Towing, Max Payload, 2016 Oliver Elite II - Hull #117 "Twist"

• Moderator+

That does appear as thin gel coat. It can be repaired. As close as you are to Hohenwald, I’d have them do it. 

• Like 3

Steve, Tali and our dog Rocky plus our beloved Storm, Maggie, Lucy and Reacher (all waiting at the Rainbow Bridge)

2008 Legacy Elite I - Outlaw Oliver, Hull #026 | 2014 Legacy Elite II - Outlaw Oliver, Hull #050 | 2022 Silverado High Country 3500HD SRW Diesel 4x4 

801469912_StatesVisitedTaliandSteve08-23-2021-I.jpg.26814499292ab76ee55b889b69ad3ef0.jpg1226003278_StatesVisitedTaliandSteve08-23-2021-H.jpg.dc46129cb4967a7fd2531b16699e9e45.jpg

26 minutes ago, Ron and Phyllis said:

My caulking in visible areas is excellent but it's very obvious that the same care was not taken on the roof.  I could have done a much better job myself.

We had the same problem with our roof on our Elite2 when we picked it up back in January.  We didn't have a chance to look at the roof since we had to get out of town for an approaching winter storm.  I told Jason about it but did not open a ticket.  We've not had any leaks ... knock on wood :)

John

• Like 3

Oliver II #996 "Bessie", 2019 Silverado LTZ 5.3, Veterans

https://wenandjohnsadventure.com/

1 hour ago, johnwen said:

We had the same problem with our roof on our Elite2 when we picked it up back in January.  We didn't have a chance to look at the roof since we had to get out of town for an approaching winter storm.  I told Jason about it but did not open a ticket.  We've not had any leaks ... knock on wood 🙂

John

👍

2 hours ago, topgun2 said:

Have you tried polishing those black spots?  Have you sent these pics to Oliver Service?

I too use dehumidifiers in my Ollie while stored.  I do take my single mattress out for the Winter but I leave the regular cushions in.  They are stored in a vertical position though just to make sure that air gets a chance to circulate around them. 

Bill

p.s.  Really wish I had an Ollie port like you and Patriot.

I don't think they will polish out.  Due to the pattern, I suspect a gelcoat that is too thin and ScubaRx agrees. I had the Ollie port built early this summer before delivery.  I leveled the site and poured concrete pads and the crew bolted it into the pads.  It's from a company called MaxSteel.  I was pleased with the end result and process. My site space was limited due to the metal building that is beside it and where it is all situated.  Their cost for the port and installation was $3,300. I may close in the back with metal myself. I left one side somewhat open because it faces a lean to roof line where I store my firewood. 

• Like 2

Thanks for the "heads up" about the gelcoat on the roof. 

We took delivery of Hull #1291 yesterday.  Our preliminary inspection has revealed generally good attention to detail so far.  But, a roof issue surfaced today.

It rained in Hohenwald last night.  We found a water leak near the air conditioner onto the bed after driving to David Crockett State Park.  As we had not used the AC yet, we figure a sealant failure around the AC unit allowed residual rainwater to leak through the hulls during the drive.  So, we will be back in Hohenwald on Monday to get that leak addressed. 

I begin a more thorough inspection, including the quality of the gelcoat and sealant application on the roof, tomorrow.  Any additional issues revealed by this weekend's inspection and continued systems testing will be added to our service ticket for Monday.

I plan to open a new topic recounting our delivery, quality inspection and remedial service experience within the next week.

• Thanks 1
  • Like 3

Hull #1291

Central Idaho

2022 Elite II

Tow Vehicle:  2019 Tundra Double Cab 4x4, 5.7L with tow package

ARCOIDNMOKORTNTXUTsm.jpg

Ron,
We have never removed our cushions while in storage at our home and have not had any issues. I suppose you could stand them up on edge, we do this with our memory foam mattresses. We only run our dehumidifier above 41 degrees per the instructions in the owners manual. Nice job on the Ollie Hangar build It looks very similar to ours. 😊

64E36DC5-6C82-4F7B-BA30-5BF93FC3F2D1.thumb.jpeg.40e1851720f4a64dbd4f923f813f7a93.jpeg

• Like 1
  • Love 3

2020 OLEII - Hull #634 aka-  “XPLOR” 

2021 F350 6.7 liter Diesel Lariat Ultimate Tremor aka- Beast

IMG_2879.jpeg

• Moderator+

As far as a thin layer of gel-coat goes, I definitely would have it repaired, but only for aesthetics. This is not a potential for a roof leak. That roof is over two inches thick and the only one I've ever seen leak had a 1/4" hole drilled (accidentally) all the way through to the inside. Now, that will leak, but surprising little. A piece of duct tape on the outside would get you by for a looooong time.

• Like 2

Steve, Tali and our dog Rocky plus our beloved Storm, Maggie, Lucy and Reacher (all waiting at the Rainbow Bridge)

2008 Legacy Elite I - Outlaw Oliver, Hull #026 | 2014 Legacy Elite II - Outlaw Oliver, Hull #050 | 2022 Silverado High Country 3500HD SRW Diesel 4x4 

801469912_StatesVisitedTaliandSteve08-23-2021-I.jpg.26814499292ab76ee55b889b69ad3ef0.jpg1226003278_StatesVisitedTaliandSteve08-23-2021-H.jpg.dc46129cb4967a7fd2531b16699e9e45.jpg

Memory foam cannot hold its weight on its side and will create a permanent hunched shape if left upright for an extended period of time. It is recommended to just leave your memory foam mattresses laying flat. 

• Thanks 2

2021 Dodge Ram 1500 

2021 Oliver Elite ll 

Hull #732 

Michigan 

16 hours ago, Katjo said:

Memory foam cannot hold its weight on its side and will create a permanent hunched shape if left upright for an extended period of time. It is recommended to just leave your memory foam mattresses laying flat. 

I disagree. In our experience storing our 11” thick memory foam mattresses on their edge standing alone when we are not using our Ollie. We have had absolutely zero issues with either of them not retaining their original shape.
Just an observation. 

Patriot 🇺🇸

9F3F855E-3C43-4840-A088-478696864F1E.thumb.jpeg.3c23f96a0dadf9c25d5bb68d8ec50686.jpeg

CF8DD398-D2D4-4F64-A3F1-51C43B2D8BDB.thumb.jpeg.9fab2961faa8ad8b271985fc415c6c95.jpeg

• Like 3

IMG_2879.jpeg

On 11/11/2022 at 6:00 PM, Katjo said:

Memory foam cannot hold its weight on its side and will create a permanent hunched shape if left upright for an extended period of time. It is recommended to just leave your memory foam mattresses laying flat

For softer forms of M.F., you are spot on.  Ours are left for 8 to 9 months each winter.  They are a firmer version with no impacts... so far.....

We have Ollie in a dark barn on a mountain top Ranch in OK.  Gets cold there.  Little or no sun on our Ollie, but I cover it regardless.  That and two large buckets of Damp Rid and it has worked well for the past 4 winters.

GJ

• Like 4

TV:  2019 F-150 SuperCrew Lariat, 3.5L EcoBoost, Max Tow, FX-4, Rear Locker      OLLIE:  2018 OE2 Hull 342, Twin Bed.    OLLIE DYI’s:  BB LiFePO4's, Victron 712 Smart, 350 Amp Master Switch, Houghton 3400, Victron Orion DC - DC, 3000-Watt Renogy Inverter, P.D. 60-amp Converter, Frig Dual Exhaust Fans, Kitchen Drawer Straps.    TV DYI’s:  2 5/16" Anderson System, Timken Bearings, Nitto recon’s, Firestone Rear Air Bags, Bilstein 5100’s, Mud Flaps & Weather Tech all.

image.jpeg.9633acdfb75740f0fd358e1a5118f105.jpeg

• 3 weeks later...
On 11/12/2022 at 9:01 AM, Patriot said:

I disagree. In our experience storing our 11” thick memory foam mattresses on their edge standing alone when we are not using our Ollie. We have had absolutely zero issues with either of them not retaining their original shape.
Just an observation. 

Patriot 🇺🇸

9F3F855E-3C43-4840-A088-478696864F1E.thumb.jpeg.3c23f96a0dadf9c25d5bb68d8ec50686.jpeg

CF8DD398-D2D4-4F64-A3F1-51C43B2D8BDB.thumb.jpeg.9fab2961faa8ad8b271985fc415c6c95.jpeg

I suspect yours store well upright due to their thickness.  Mine are maybe 7 inches thick and don't have the same mass as yours.  Yours can support themselves on the sides where a thinner mattress can't.  So many variables that it would seem that what works for some might not work for others.  You must sleep great on those!

John

John and Debbie, Beaverton, Oregon,  2017 Ford Expedition EL 4x4 3.5 liter Ecoboost, with heavy duty tow package. Hull #1290, twin bed with Truma package (a/c, furnace, hot water heater with electric antifreeze option), lithium pro package, picked up November 7, 2022

spacer.png

We never stored mattresses on their sides in previous trailers. What's the concern, that there will be condensation under the mattresses? Would there be enough temperature difference, or humidity, inside a trailer stored without heat in winter conditions to form condensation under the mattresses?

• Like 1

Stephanie and Dudley from CT.  2022 LE2, Hull #1150: Eggcelsior.

Tow vehicle: 2016 GMC Sierra 6.0 gas dually 4x4.

Our Oliver journey: Steph and Dud B's RV Screed

Where we've been RVing since 1999:

ALAZCACOCTDEFLGAIDILINIAKYLAMEMDMAMIMNMSMOMTNENVNHNMNYNCNDOHOKORPASCSDTNTXUTVTVAWAWVWIWYmed.jpg.b96241bad6752dec89d25af6ffbc8d99.jpg

• Moderators

40 years, we have stowed mattresses and cushions on their sides, or indoors, for our boat  .

Choose, as you will .

• Like 1

2008 Ram 1500 4 × 4

2008 Oliver Elite, Hull #12

Florida and Western North Carolina, or wherever the truck goes....

400 watts solar. DC compressor fridge. No inverter. 2 x 105 ah agm batteries .  Life is good.

1 hour ago, Steph and Dud B said:

We never stored mattresses on their sides in previous trailers. What's the concern, that there will be condensation under the mattresses? Would there be enough temperature difference, or humidity, inside a trailer stored without heat in winter conditions to form condensation under the mattresses?

Good point, it seems that condensation would only occur with differences of temperature and humidity.  If stored with no heat and closed up, I am not sure where the problem is.  Do you run a dehumidifier when it's stored with no heat? I have the heat on with a small heater during the day if I will be outside.  Mostly I am not inside and I haven't seen any condensation yet on walls or windows.  It's about 40°

John

John and Debbie, Beaverton, Oregon,  2017 Ford Expedition EL 4x4 3.5 liter Ecoboost, with heavy duty tow package. Hull #1290, twin bed with Truma package (a/c, furnace, hot water heater with electric antifreeze option), lithium pro package, picked up November 7, 2022

spacer.png

10 minutes ago, John Welte said:

Do you run a dehumidifier when it's stored with no heat?

No humidifier, but a couple of Damp-Rid containers in there. CT winters are usually pretty low humidity.

• Like 1

Stephanie and Dudley from CT.  2022 LE2, Hull #1150: Eggcelsior.

Tow vehicle: 2016 GMC Sierra 6.0 gas dually 4x4.

Our Oliver journey: Steph and Dud B's RV Screed

Where we've been RVing since 1999:

ALAZCACOCTDEFLGAIDILINIAKYLAMEMDMAMIMNMSMOMTNENVNHNMNYNCNDOHOKORPASCSDTNTXUTVTVAWAWVWIWYmed.jpg.b96241bad6752dec89d25af6ffbc8d99.jpg

8 hours ago, John Welte said:

I suspect yours store well upright due to their thickness.  Mine are maybe 7 inches thick and don't have the same mass as yours.  Yours can support themselves on the sides where a thinner mattress can't.  So many variables that it would seem that what works for some might not work for others.  You must sleep great on those!

John

John,

Yes, as previously mentioned they very store well on their sides and the deep sleeping on a “cloud comfort” is perfect for us. Certainly memory foam is not for everyone. We had southern mattresses initially and quickly decided the discomfort of coil spring mattresses was not working. Coil spring mattresses for some reason just create too many wake up in the middle of the night pressure points for us. Agreed what works for some may or may not work for others. 

• Like 1

IMG_2879.jpeg