So.. it got to -2 last night… glad I winterized but need some info I am new to using solar.

Kansa

So.. it got to -2 last night in the Ollie basement… glad I winterized but need some info I am new to using solar. My Ollie is in the drive and the sun is keeping the batteries up great so far. I ran a space heater this morning using the inverter. But very cold and cloudy is coming so with my old rv I would just plug into the 120 at the house and run a space heater on 40 during the evenings. We never used our furnace when winterized, don’t know if that is a safety issue or not… So if I plug in our Ollie to the house 120 I know The solar will be bypassed and the inverter will be off and I can use my space heater on shore power. What if I decide to run my furnace instead I know it will run off the 120. but if I go with the batteries instead of plugging into 120 will I need the inverter on and how much will that drain my batteries 4AGMs overnight and into the next day with partly cloudy skis and temps into the teens. And is it ok to run the furnace with the camper winterized.. 

Thanks for any idea or advice.. 

2022 Oliver Legacy Elite ll  Hull 1267   10/6/22      Solar with AGMs   
 2015 Ram 2500 HD Cummins   B&H Hitch 

• The title was changed to So.. it got to -2 last night… glad I winterized but need some info I am new to using solar.

Why do you want to keep the trailer interior warm? Is someone living in it while it's in the driveway? If it's winterized you don't have to worry about the water system freezing. 

There's no problem running the furnace with the water system winterized. It does use a lot of 12v battery power but you can recharge that with the solar and 120v shore line power from the house. 

Or, you can run a 120v space heater. Just make sure it doesn't overload the extension cord you're using to connect the trailer to the house. If it's a regular household outlet I'd use a heavy 12 gauge cord with a small space heater set on Low. To be safe, I wouldn't pull more than 900 Watts through a 12 gauge extension cord plugged into a household outlet. 

• Like 2

Stephanie and Dudley from CT.  2022 LE2, Hull #1150: Eggcelsior.

Tow vehicle: 2016 GMC Sierra 6.0 gas dually 4x4.

Our Oliver journey: Steph and Dud B's RV Screed

Where we've been RVing since 1999:

ALAZCACOCTDEFLGAIDILINIAKYLAMEMDMAMIMNMSMOMTNENVNHNMNYNCNDOHOKORPASCSDTNTXUTVTVAWAWVWIWYmed.jpg.b96241bad6752dec89d25af6ffbc8d99.jpg

• Moderators
1 hour ago, Kansa said:

What if I decide to run my furnace instead I know it will run off the 120.

The furnace runs off of 12V (your batteries) not shore power.  No reason you couldn’t run both if connected to shore power.  It doesn’t matter if you are winterized or not, the furnace is independent.  When I run a space heater I am always connected to shore power.  Your batteries will drain pretty quick if you run a 120V space heater through your inverter.  Mike

• Like 1

Texas Hill Country | 2016 Elite II #135 | 2020 Ram 2500 6.7L

ALAZARCACOFLGAIDILKSKYLAMDMSMOMTNENVNMNYNCNDOHOKSCSDTNTXUTVAWVWYsm.jpgALAZARCACOCTDEFLGAIDILINIAKSKYLAMEMDMAMS

Thanks for replying I am keeping it warm because I am working on projects in it. keeping it warm only part time. Having solar into the system is new to me so learning a lot. But am excited about having the options
One question on running the furnace and using solar, does the inverter need to be turned on for running the blower or can it operate from battery only.  And if that is either which would be less work for the battery bank.

Thank you again for your help

2022 Oliver Legacy Elite ll  Hull 1267   10/6/22      Solar with AGMs   
 2015 Ram 2500 HD Cummins   B&H Hitch 

• Moderators
1 hour ago, Kansa said:

Thanks for replying I am keeping it warm because I am working on projects in it. keeping it warm only part time. Having solar into the system is new to me so learning a lot. But am excited about having the options
One question on running the furnace and using solar, does the inverter need to be turned on for running the blower or can it operate from battery only.  And if that is either which would be less work for the battery bank.

The blower on the furnace is 12V only.  It is powered by your batteries.  Your solar doesn’t run anything, it just charges your batteries.  I don’t know the specifics of the new inverter arrangement Oliver is using.  My old Xantrex is only turned on when not on shore power and I want to use a 120V outlet, which is rare.  If you have shore power using a space heater will save you propane.  Mike

• Like 2

Texas Hill Country | 2016 Elite II #135 | 2020 Ram 2500 6.7L

ALAZARCACOFLGAIDILKSKYLAMDMSMOMTNENVNMNYNCNDOHOKSCSDTNTXUTVAWVWYsm.jpgALAZARCACOCTDEFLGAIDILINIAKSKYLAMEMDMAMS

• 5 months later...
  • Moderator+
On 11/12/2022 at 6:27 PM, Kansa said:

Thanks that was what I was thinking glad you confirmed that for me. 

Cathy, I am in 100% agreement with you on keeping the trailer warm. I keep it connected to shore power and leave a small space heater on continually during the winter. I like to keep it about 60 degrees inside. Just because your pipes are winterized and won't freeze doesn't mean that other things won't suffer from being frigidly cold. If you have Lithium batteries you don't want them trying to charge themselves when the temp in the battery box is below freezing.

• Like 2

Steve, Tali and our dog Rocky plus our beloved Storm, Maggie, Lucy and Reacher (all waiting at the Rainbow Bridge)

2008 Legacy Elite I - Outlaw Oliver, Hull #026 | 2014 Legacy Elite II - Outlaw Oliver, Hull #050 | 2022 Silverado High Country 3500HD SRW Diesel 4x4 

801469912_StatesVisitedTaliandSteve08-23-2021-I.jpg.26814499292ab76ee55b889b69ad3ef0.jpg1226003278_StatesVisitedTaliandSteve08-23-2021-H.jpg.dc46129cb4967a7fd2531b16699e9e45.jpg

I didn't realize how much propane the furnace used until I ran out of it while we were away for a few days.  I set it on the lowest setting thinking the sun would be enough to warm the trailer during the day.  Propane ran out while we were out of state and the temps were extremely low for a while in coastal SC.  I got to replace the bathroom faucet, a bidet "t" fitting and the outside shower head.  All because I figured coastal SC would be warm enough...not smart on my part!  It would have been so easy to winterize.  Just saying, keep your eye on your propane tank level if you just rely on the furnace.  My embarrassing 2 cents worth :classic_blush: 

John

• Sad 2

Oliver II #996 "Bessie", 2019 Silverado LTZ 5.3, Veterans

https://wenandjohnsadventure.com/