12 V wet cell storage

Jimmy64

I have 412 V wet cell batteries. That I need to maintain over the winter. OLIVER has told me to take them out and nurse them all winter. Right now I show 11.6 when I push the battery button inside. I need to take them out I’ll take a picture so I know how they go back together. I understand the camper pretty well other than this battery situation. Wish I would’ve upgraded? Any suggestions on storing these batteries and disconnecting them for the winter. I am expecting subzero temperatures over the next few months. Any help would be Greatly appreciated. I guess I will disconnect them all and bring them in the house for the winter because I have no power going to storage location. Hope this makes sense.

I have the 4 x 12v wet cell battery setup as well.  If you are reading only 11.6 volts on the display, your batteries  are very close to completely dead (see chart), and may be damaged (shortened battery life).  Since you don’t have power available at your storage location, removing the batteries and taking them to your home and putting them on a battery tender is your best option.  I store our Ollie at home and just plug it into house AC power every two weeks or so to keep the batteries from dropping below 12.2v.   

image.thumb.jpeg.6d6a5834abe21ec2386b52769bee69a9.jpeg

• Like 2

Frank beat me to it.

Your FLOODED lead acid batteries should be kept in a garage, not your house, they vent hazardous and flammable H2 gas when charging. Maintaining them correctly is a PITA and you need to wear safety goggles when checking the electrolyte specific gravity. You should have a small digital voltmeter to check each battery individually. This chart shows the normal "open cell" (NO load) voltages for a single 6 volt battery.

image.jpeg.9506ab5e3defba369d5531966ff5b29f.jpeg

11.6 volts on your inside meter indicates completely dead batteries (IF there are no other loads running)! Were there any 12 volt items operating when you checked that? If no loads,  they may not be usable, except as core trade-ins. You definitely don't want your discharged batteries to freeze, they will split open and spill acid everywhere

John Davies

Spokane WA

• Like 2

SOLD 07/23 "Mouse":  2017 Legacy Elite II Two Beds, Hull Number 218, See my HOW TO threads: https://olivertraveltrailers.com/topic/john-e-davies-how-to-threads-and-tech-articles-links/

Tow Vehicle: 2013 Land Cruiser 200, 32” LT tires, airbags, Safari snorkel, Maggiolina Grand Tour 360 Carbon RTT.

Hey thank you guys I’ve been bumping these batteries with my Honda generator bumping them up to 12.6 after four days they’re down down down. Check the water seems to be fine. I think everything is shut off in the camper?Hope I didn’t damage them they’re brand new as in from the OLIVER factory new trailer in August 2022

• Wow 1

In the trailer you may have parasitic power draws. 

I would pull them from the trailer ASAP, put them in your garage, connect them to a "regular" lead acid battery charger and monitor voltage with a voltmeter.

If after charging for a couple of days they still don't hold a charge, I recommend you take them to an auto parts store for (usually) free testing.  

These steps will advise you whether they are damaged and require replacement.

Hull #1291

Central Idaho

2022 Elite II

Tow Vehicle:  2019 Tundra Double Cab 4x4, 5.7L with tow package

ARCOIDNMOKORTNTXUTsm.jpg

Parasitic (stray) electrical loads are common in RVs. There are certain items that just don’t turn off unless you physically disconnect the batteries (or install a master cutoff switch). If you have solar and park outside, it is not an issue because the batteries remain topped up. If you don’t have solar you should flip off all the circuit breakers except the battery charger. A super super easy way to check for stray current loss is by using a clamp on ammeter. I have one of these and it is excellent for stuff like this, and checking out brake current. In fact, I like mine so much I bought two more to gift to my kids.

636D5FA8-7D9B-4CCB-B7C6-D494FC8B74DA.thumb.jpeg.cae3edd41004525764fb353433575d35.jpeg

YIRU UNI-T UT210 Series True RMS Digital Clamp Meter AC/DC Voltage Tester with ohm, Capacitance Measurement

Good luck. And please add info to your signature.

John Davies

Spokane WA

SOLD 07/23 "Mouse":  2017 Legacy Elite II Two Beds, Hull Number 218, See my HOW TO threads: https://olivertraveltrailers.com/topic/john-e-davies-how-to-threads-and-tech-articles-links/

Tow Vehicle: 2013 Land Cruiser 200, 32” LT tires, airbags, Safari snorkel, Maggiolina Grand Tour 360 Carbon RTT.

3 hours ago, John E Davies said:

I like mine so much I bought two more to gift to my kids.

JD: On your recommendation some time ago, I purchased one for my mainland Ollie and Beast.  Then one for here in Hawaii.  Then two for my sons.  Then one for my bother.  

In summary now five.  When I purchased, the case was separate.  If getting one be sure to get the case if it is not included.  (See below)

Obviously I highly recommend this tool unit and appreciate your highlighting it here on our forum.

image.png.2159c4932b67f084c1811ae3133841f3.png

• Like 1

TV:  2019 F-150 SuperCrew Lariat, 3.5L EcoBoost, Max Tow, FX-4, Rear Locker      OLLIE:  2018 OE2 Hull 342, Twin Bed.    OLLIE DIY’s: Timken Bearings, BB LiFePO4's, Victron 712 Smart, 350 Amp Master Switch, Houghton 3400, Victron Orion DC - DC, 3000-Watt Renogy Inverter, P.D. 60-amp Converter, Frig Dual Exhaust Fans, Kitchen Drawer Straps.    TV DIY’s:  2 5/16" Anderson System, Nitto recon’s, Firestone Rear Air Bags, Bilstein 5100’s, Mud Flaps & Weather Tech all, installed Ham Radio (WH6JPR).

image.jpeg.9633acdfb75740f0fd358e1a5118f105.jpeg

9 minutes ago, topgun2 said:

If either of you are looking for a long lost relative - I'm it!🤪

For all the time and effort you and other Moderators put into this Forum, I vote that OTT award you one (with case) in honor of your service to us all!

Let's hear it owners what do you think about this idea?

• Thanks 1
  • Like 2

TV:  2019 F-150 SuperCrew Lariat, 3.5L EcoBoost, Max Tow, FX-4, Rear Locker      OLLIE:  2018 OE2 Hull 342, Twin Bed.    OLLIE DIY’s: Timken Bearings, BB LiFePO4's, Victron 712 Smart, 350 Amp Master Switch, Houghton 3400, Victron Orion DC - DC, 3000-Watt Renogy Inverter, P.D. 60-amp Converter, Frig Dual Exhaust Fans, Kitchen Drawer Straps.    TV DIY’s:  2 5/16" Anderson System, Nitto recon’s, Firestone Rear Air Bags, Bilstein 5100’s, Mud Flaps & Weather Tech all, installed Ham Radio (WH6JPR).

image.jpeg.9633acdfb75740f0fd358e1a5118f105.jpeg

Jimmy63

Two suggestions:

1.When you remove the batteries if you have solar panels make sure you seal the solar wire ends with something like putting them in a zip lock bag as the solar panels will still send current down to the wires even with the batteries removed. 

2. When you put the batteries in your garage put them on some wood so they are not on the concrete floor as the concrete will drain the power out of them.

Good luck

• Like 1

2018 Oliver Elite II, Twin Bed, Hull #354 

2024 RAM 1500, 4 x 4; Gas. 5.7L V8 Hemi MDS VVT Torque; 3.21 rear axle ratio

Maine