Maxx-Window Rain Guards

• Moderators

I know I've seen these on a number of Olivers, but I can't remember who now. I'm looking at the Maxx-Window louvers that allow you to slide the windows partly open for ventilation on rainy days and nights without soaking the interior.

For those of you who have installed them, how do you like them? Do they work as described? Easy to install?

The website mentioned something about a security clip to keep the window from being slid further open. Did you install these, or did the kit come with it?

Thanks for any info you'd like to share.

Sherry

2008 Ram 1500 4 × 4

2008 Oliver Elite, Hull #12

Florida and Western North Carolina, or wherever the truck goes....

400 watts solar. DC compressor fridge. No inverter. 2 x 105 ah agm batteries .  Life is good.

Hi Sherry,

The louvered vents were the first mod I made to the motor home I bought from my parents. I loved them because I could open the windows just a bit when it was raining and have fresh air at any time. It has been a few years so I don't remember all the details of installation. Another story for another day but I gave that rv to our daughter for the deer lease. I just haven't gotten around to installing them yet on Revilo. Ask Pete for the tip about the cap. One of these days I will get around to getting the vents.

• Moderator+

We bought these early on after spending the night in the remnants of Hurricane Ike with tropical-force winds as it tracked across Arkansas on the night of Sept. 13, 2008 at the RVER near Fort Smith (you remember, you were there.) It was hot and it rained all night and we could not open our windows. Chuck and Geri had them on their Oliver and I was sold on the way they claimed they worked. I lucked out and found three of them at a local RV dealership and got them for about $20.00 each. We put one on each window. The locking pins we did not install, you would have to drill a hole into the frame or the window to use them. I'm not against drilling the holes, I just didn't see the need. We do like them a lot. Installation was not too hard. The worst part was cutting the louvers to length. Hand cutting with any saw would be difficult. I put them in my horizontal band saw and cut them off. I'd probably use my chop saw with a fine blade if I were doing it again. You do have to drill holes into the outside frame of the windows.

Steve, Tali and our dog Rocky plus our beloved Storm, Maggie, Lucy and Reacher (all waiting at the Rainbow Bridge)

2008 Legacy Elite I - Outlaw Oliver, Hull #026 | 2014 Legacy Elite II - Outlaw Oliver, Hull #050 | 2022 Silverado High Country 3500HD SRW Diesel 4x4 

801469912_StatesVisitedTaliandSteve08-23-2021-I.jpg.26814499292ab76ee55b889b69ad3ef0.jpg1226003278_StatesVisitedTaliandSteve08-23-2021-H.jpg.dc46129cb4967a7fd2531b16699e9e45.jpg

Hi Steve,

I have thought about using that ultra strong bond tape so I don't have to drill holes. Has anybody used the tape for the vents? I thought about the tape since others have mounted solar panels to the roof that have stayed secure. How can the tape not hold the vents? Wanting to install them is as far as I have gotten. J

• Moderators

I have enjoyed mine a lot. I purchased one at Camping World and it had a long enough louver section to make one for each of my rear side windows. One of my Casita friends said that if you call the 1-800 number on the box and ask them nicely to send you a couple of the rounded end caps and another length of rubber seal so you can cover another window, they'll send some to you. I did . . . and they did . . . no charge! What a great deal. :D

If you use the supplied screws, it's a good idea to add just a drop of silicone to help prevent the screw from backing out on you over time.

Pete & "Bosker".    TV -  '18 F150 Super-cab Fx4; RV  - "The Wonder Egg";   '08 Elite, Hull Number 014.

Travel blog of 1st 10 years' wanderings - http://www.peteandthewonderegg.blogspot.com

visited-united-states-map (2).pngvisited-canadian-provinces-map.png

ABBCMBNBNLNSONPEQCSKYTALAKAZARCACOCTFLGAHIIDILINIAKSKYLAMEMDMAMIMNMSMOMTNENVNHNJNMNYNCNDOHOKORPAPRSCSDTNTXUTVTVAWAWVWIWYsm.jpg

• Moderator+

Hi Steve,

I have thought about using that ultra strong bond tape so I don't have to drill holes. Has anybody used the tape for the vents? I thought about the tape since others have mounted solar panels to the roof that have stayed secure. How can the tape not hold the vents? Wanting to install them is as far as I have gotten. J

The louvers are mounted with screws that go through holes and into the outside frame of the window. There is a rubber gasket that is placed on the edge and contacts the trailer. There is no other contact point and using some sort of VHB tape would not work very well at best. There would be so little contact with the louvers they would probably fly off at highway speed. The holes are no big deal as they don't enter the body of the trailer. They really are easy to install, we put them on in about an hour. That's not counting the cutting and fitting.

Steve, Tali and our dog Rocky plus our beloved Storm, Maggie, Lucy and Reacher (all waiting at the Rainbow Bridge)

2008 Legacy Elite I - Outlaw Oliver, Hull #026 | 2014 Legacy Elite II - Outlaw Oliver, Hull #050 | 2022 Silverado High Country 3500HD SRW Diesel 4x4 

801469912_StatesVisitedTaliandSteve08-23-2021-I.jpg.26814499292ab76ee55b889b69ad3ef0.jpg1226003278_StatesVisitedTaliandSteve08-23-2021-H.jpg.dc46129cb4967a7fd2531b16699e9e45.jpg

• 3 weeks later...
  • Moderators

Paul installed one this past week. It looks very nice. It hasn't rained lately, so I can't tell you how it works for us yet.

He installed it on the curbside window, at the foot of the bed. I think we'll put the second one on the streetside window over the small dinette table, for cross ventilation. Have most of you installed two of them?

Also, Jam49, the install requires only 5 small screws into the window frame only, not the trailer. The way the vent is manufactured, there is not enough surface to grab with two-sided tape, so that excellent idea won't fly, unfortunately.

Sherry

2008 Ram 1500 4 × 4

2008 Oliver Elite, Hull #12

Florida and Western North Carolina, or wherever the truck goes....

400 watts solar. DC compressor fridge. No inverter. 2 x 105 ah agm batteries .  Life is good.