Hull #1291 Delivery, Inspection and Warranty Service Report

Rivernerd

Thank you for the wonderfully detailed delivery report, Ralph!

Like you, I'm surprised and a bit disappointed that the oft reported problems are still occurring. Hopefully, someone at Oliver will see your report and knock some heads on the production floor.

I've kept mental notes on things to check at our March 28 delivery, but nowhere near 100 items. Any chance that you'd share your list?

• Like 1

-----
Steve - Northern Ohio, USA
Wandering around on occasion, always lost.
2021 Toyota Land Cruiser - 2023 Oliver Elite II Twin Hull #1360 “Curiosity”
Facebook - Instagram

Camped in Curiosity = Green —— Visited with Curiosity = Gray

map.jpg

Thank you @Rivernerd for the detailed delivery report. Having worked in manufacturing my whole life I understand the challenges in quality control and continuous improvement that Oliver like all companies goes through. Not to excuse issues that are obviously preventable, but it is refreshing to see the positive response and quick resolution provided by Oliver. That second part is rare in much of the RV industry today.

We're months away from delivery day of our LEII, and much homework needs to be done for us to feel ready and confident in taking delivery. These are much more complex vehicles and systems than the RVs of our past. We are pretty savvy when it comes to tech and connected systems and devices, but there's still an obvious learning curve for each new system and app. 

On that note and in an effort to not reinvent the wheel, do you have a punch list of items you would be willing to share with folks to help us be prepared for delivery day? The search function is cumbersome at best on the forum and finding all the essential items to check may result in key items missed otherwise. Regardless I'm going to be digging deep in the weeks ahead but anything you have would be greatly appreciated. 

Chris

• Like 2

What's today?............. the most frequently asked question as a retiree 🙄

Chris and Stacie Neuhaus Greenfield, Indiana

2021 Ford F350 7.3L Tremor (Redzilla)

LE2 #1373 - Ordered 10/21/22 - Delivered 05/10/23

States Visited Map

Rivernerd:

Cograd on your new Ollie.

Could you summarize the location of the hot air vents and the location of any return air vents in your new trailer.

I would like to know that to consider making improvement in air flow in my Ollie.

• Thanks 1
  • Like 1

2018 Oliver Elite II, Twin Bed, Hull #354 

2024 RAM 1500, 4 x 4; Gas. 5.7L V8 Hemi MDS VVT Torque; 3.21 rear axle ratio

Maine 

On 11/21/2022 at 6:26 AM, Rivernerd said:

I asked Ryan if the tires contained balance beads. He replied that after the balance bead/valve stem issue, Oliver determined to remove balance beads from all tires going forward, and leave them unbalanced. He asserted that trailer tires don’t need to be balanced. Jason Essary and Oliver Operations Manager Rodney Lomax also advised they are satisfied that trailer tires do not need balancing.

We arrived back home in Idaho today after driving more than 2000 miles through 8 states after leaving Hohenwald.  The trailer felt, and handled, fine, even at freeway speeds up to 70 MPH.  I do not feel the need to have the trailer tires balanced.

• Thanks 1
  • Like 3

Hull #1291

Central Idaho

2022 Elite II

Tow Vehicle:  2019 Tundra Double Cab 4x4, 5.7L with tow package

ARCOIDNMOKORTNTXUTsm.jpg

On 11/21/2022 at 8:06 AM, Steve and Deb said:

Like you, I'm surprised and a bit disappointed that the oft reported problems are still occurring. Hopefully, someone at Oliver will see your report and knock some heads on the production floor.

I am sorry my report left you with that impression.  I should have written it more clearly.

To my recollection, none of the issues we found had been reported before except the roof leak and the absence of rubber plugs in the disk brake backing plates.  As I noted, Dexter does not supply the rubber plugs, and I believe Oliver had not thought to supply them.  So, the only previously reported issue that Oliver could (and should) have done better was the roof leak.

The impressive point for me was that of nearly 100 previously-reported issues detailed in my list, I found only those two, and only one was a production oversight.  So my "takeaway" was that Oliver has successfully addressed almost all of the "oft-reported" past problems. 

Please accept my apologies for any confusion.

• Thanks 2
  • Like 11

Hull #1291

Central Idaho

2022 Elite II

ARCOIDNMOKORTNTXUTsm.jpg

Thanks for the detailed inspection report. We picked ours up on September 8th, hull#1240. I didn't know about the plugs for the brake adjustment holes not being installed and will order some. The windows not being installed correctly really concerns me. How might one visually inspect the windows to see if they are installed correctly? From what you wrote above, Jason noticed it but then he has an eye for such things. I'm going to also check the screw holes on top and seal them as you suggest.  On our trailer, the external Zamp solar plug did not have the ground connected but the wire was run and was in the black corrugated tubing so I just terminated it and all is well. Also, last week our RVLock failed and I just received the replacement battery board today. There have been several failures in recently delivered Olivers and it looks to be water getting into the mechanism and causing a short. When I take mine apart, I plan to look for water damage. There is no visible damage on the exterior. Someone mentioned they put a bead of caulk around it to help keep water out.  I have been checking my lug nuts with my torque wrench set to 120ft*lbs and have found some have loosened a bit between trips. Ours has been rained on quite a bit but so far I haven't noticed any leaks but I'm certainly going to keep inspecting for leaks just in case. 

Regards, 

Martin 

Martin & Annie, Austin, TX

2022 LE2, Hull#1240: MightyMo 

Tow Vehicle: 2016 F-150 Lariat 5.0L V8

2 minutes ago, Mighty Mo said:

Also, last week our RVLock failed and I just received the replacement battery board today. There have been several failures in recently delivered Olivers and it looks to be water getting into the mechanism and causing a short.

The reports on this forum of failure issues with the RV Lock keypads are the reason we ordered the standard handle that opens with ordinary keys.  We keep the keys in our tow vehicle.  During our 2000+mile trip back home, locking and unlocking the trailer did not seem to be an issue.

• Like 4

Hull #1291

Central Idaho

2022 Elite II

ARCOIDNMOKORTNTXUTsm.jpg

7 minutes ago, Mighty Mo said:

The windows not being installed correctly really concerns me. How might one visually inspect the windows to see if they are installed correctly?

I don't know.  I inspected the windows after delivery, and found no issues.  They all appeared flush to the outer shell, and properly caulked. 

What Jason reported to us after we took the trailer back is that when leak testing, he noted that a "new" protocol for window installation had not been followed.  I don't know what that "new" protocol entails, or whether it would have been in effect in September.

In your shoes, I would shower the trailer with a garden hose, then check for window leaks.  If you find none, I would resort to the old maxim:  "If it ain't broke, don't fix it."

• Like 4

Hull #1291

Central Idaho

2022 Elite II

ARCOIDNMOKORTNTXUTsm.jpg

Yes, thanks for the advice. I've washed it a few times, hosing down the whole trailer with a power washer. Next time I'll really hit the windows and see if they leak. As you mention above, if they don't leak then don't fix them. Also, I just read another post stating that 120ft*lbs of torque is to high for the lugs on the Oliver and should be around 100ft*lbs. So the the next time I torque them I'll bring them down to 100ft*lbs. I know when I first checked them they were right at 120ft*lbs from the factory. Lessons learned on the RVLock, it came with the electronics package and I'm okay with it for the most part. It can be manually locked if needed. If it continues to be a problem, then I'll change it out with something else.  

• Like 2

Martin & Annie, Austin, TX

2022 LE2, Hull#1240: MightyMo 

Tow Vehicle: 2016 F-150 Lariat 5.0L V8

• Moderators
9 hours ago, Rivernerd said:

The reports on this forum of failure issues with the RV Lock keypads are the reason we ordered the standard handle that opens with ordinary keys.  We keep the keys in our tow vehicle.  During our 2000+mile trip back home, locking and unlocking the trailer did not seem to be an issue.

We’ve used a key for years and it’s not really a big deal.  Sometimes simplicity is good, especially in something that goes bouncing down the highway.  Sometimes I marvel at all the new technology in newer Olivers, but then I also appreciate the simplicity of our older trailer.  Mike

• Like 8

Texas Hill Country | 2016 Elite II #135 | 2020 Ram 2500 6.7L

ALAZARCACOFLGAIDILKSKYLAMDMSMOMTNENVNMNYNCNDOHOKSCSDTNTXUTVAWVWYsm.jpgALAZARCACOCTDEFLGAIDILINIAKSKYLAMEMDMAMS

What a fantastic detailed delivery report! Congrats on getting your Ollie. It sounds like Oliver took good care of you and addressed issues promptly. You certainly did your homework prior to delivery, planning the extra time during and after pickup was very smart.  

I wish you many wonderful memory making  journeys ahead in your beautiful new Ollie. 

• Like 2

2021 Dodge Ram 1500 

2021 Oliver Elite ll 

Hull #732 

Michigan 

10 hours ago, Mighty Mo said:

Someone mentioned they put a bead of caulk around it to help keep water out. 

We haven't had any issues with our replacement RV Lock after applying sealant to cover the gap between the top of the lock body and the door.

10 hours ago, Rivernerd said:

We keep the keys in our tow vehicle. 

We do this, even with the RV Lock, just in case it fails.

• Like 1

Stephanie and Dudley from CT.  2022 LE2, Hull #1150: Eggcelsior.

Tow vehicle: 2016 GMC Sierra 6.0 gas dually 4x4.

Our Oliver journey: Steph and Dud B's RV Screed

Where we've been RVing since 1999:

ALAZCACOCTDEFLGAIDILINIAKYLAMEMDMAMIMNMSMOMTNENVNHNMNYNCNDOHOKORPASCSDTNTXUTVTVAWAWVWIWYmed.jpg.b96241bad6752dec89d25af6ffbc8d99.jpg

9 hours ago, Mighty Mo said:

120ft*lbs of torque is to high for the lugs on the Oliver and should be around 100ft*lbs.

My tire shop, who I trust, was very leery about torquing the nuts to 120, even after I showed them the Oliver spec. 120 is right at the top end of the range for those lugs and torque wrenches do have some deviation.

• Like 1

Stephanie and Dudley from CT.  2022 LE2, Hull #1150: Eggcelsior.

Tow vehicle: 2016 GMC Sierra 6.0 gas dually 4x4.

Our Oliver journey: Steph and Dud B's RV Screed

Where we've been RVing since 1999:

ALAZCACOCTDEFLGAIDILINIAKYLAMEMDMAMIMNMSMOMTNENVNHNMNYNCNDOHOKORPASCSDTNTXUTVTVAWAWVWIWYmed.jpg.b96241bad6752dec89d25af6ffbc8d99.jpg

12 hours ago, Rivernerd said:

I am sorry my report left you with that impression.  I should have written it more clearly.

No, what you wrote was very clear. My disappointment is that they'd identified a problem installing windows, implemented a new protocol on how to install the windows, and yet the windows in your trailer were not installed per those new protocols. Management and QC can solve any problem, but that doesn't always help if the guy putting the parts together doesn't follow explicit instructions.

• Wow 2

-----
Steve - Northern Ohio, USA
Wandering around on occasion, always lost.
2021 Toyota Land Cruiser - 2023 Oliver Elite II Twin Hull #1360 “Curiosity”
Facebook - Instagram

Camped in Curiosity = Green —— Visited with Curiosity = Gray

map.jpg

On 11/21/2022 at 8:26 AM, Rivernerd said:

Our trailer has Goodyear Wrangler LT tires mounted on 16” wheels. I was advised by Oliver Operations Manager Rodney Lomax that the ST tires on 15” wheels will not be installed on new trailers until March, 2023.

Ralph, thank you for the wonderfully detailed delivery/inspection report. Just curious why they want to switch to 15" wheels, I prefer the 16s for more clearance?

On 11/21/2022 at 8:26 AM, Rivernerd said:

From review of posts on this forum, I had compiled a long list of nearly 100 production defects noted by posters over the past several years.

Ralph, would you mind sharing your checklist with us please? 
Thanks,
Rich

• Like 1

2023 Elite II, Hull# 1386, Lithium Platinum Package (640AH, 400W Solar, 3000W Xantrex Inverter)
Truma water heater & AC

TV: 2024 Silverado 2500HD 6.6L 10-Speed Allison

On 11/21/2022 at 9:06 AM, Steve and Deb said:

I've kept mental notes on things to check at our March 28 delivery, but nowhere near 100 items. Any chance that you'd share your list?

Yes please!  I would also like to review your list for our 3/8/23 pick up.

Great review of your experience, thank you.

Brian

• Like 1

On 11/21/2022 at 2:41 PM, dewdev said:

Could you summarize the location of the hot air vents and the location of any return air vents in your new trailer.

I would like to know that to consider making improvement in air flow in my Ollie.

Now that we are safely home, I have had time to take some photos.  See attached.

The first photo shows the supply air vent in the bathroom.

The second photo shows the rear supply air vent and the return air grill in the main cabin.

The third photo shows the return air vent in the bath, beside the toilet.

The fourth photo shows the return air vent in the bathroom from inside the front dinette seat.  This allows return air flow into the air space underneath the trailer.

The fifth photo shows the two supply vents in the main cabin.

Supply Vent in Bathroom.jpg

Rear Supply Vent With Return Air Duct.jpg

Return Air Vent in Bathroom.jpg

Bathroom Return Air Vent From Underneath Front Dinette Seat.jpg

742F22D2-23E2-40A6-AF19-A019380793AF.thumb.jpeg.c245a1bc4c79de386890f3f548340dcb.jpeg

Hull #1291

Central Idaho

2022 Elite II

ARCOIDNMOKORTNTXUTsm.jpg

I received a request for pictures of the Truma Varioheat installation and ductwork.  Now that we are safely home in Idaho, I have had time to take photos. They are attached.

Varioheat Unit.jpg

Varioheat Between Jack and Water Heater.jpg

Varioheat Ducting.jpg

• Thanks 1

Hull #1291

Central Idaho

2022 Elite II

ARCOIDNMOKORTNTXUTsm.jpg

23 hours ago, Rich.Dev said:

Ralph, thank you for the wonderfully detailed delivery/inspection report. Just curious why they want to switch to 15" wheels, I prefer the 16s for more clearance?

As reported in an earlier thread, Goodyear's acquisition of Cooper Tires forced Oliver to substitute Goodyear tires going forward.  Although Oliver obviously can get Goodyear Wrangler LT 16" tires now, (that is what is installed on our Elite II delivered November 10), Oliver has decided to go with Goodyear ST tires on 15" wheels starting in March, 2023.  They did not offer a reason.

For what it's worth, we would have preferred the 15" wheels with ST tires.  ST ("Special Trailer") tires are designed for trailer use, and have thicker, stronger sidewalls than LT tires, which are designed for "Light Truck" use.  And, with 15" wheels, you have more rubber and less metal, which provides a softer ride.

Edited by Rivernerd
New content
  • Sad 1

Hull #1291

Central Idaho

2022 Elite II

ARCOIDNMOKORTNTXUTsm.jpg

Rivernerd:

Thanks for the pictures of the heat and supply vents. It looks like there are two supply vents and one large return air vent are similar to what is on my 2018 Elite II in the main cabin on the kitchen side of the trailer. Any other vents in the main cabin? Not sure if any of the pictures are in the bathroom. What was done in the bathroom for supply and return vents?

2018 Oliver Elite II, Twin Bed, Hull #354 

2024 RAM 1500, 4 x 4; Gas. 5.7L V8 Hemi MDS VVT Torque; 3.21 rear axle ratio

Maine 

• Moderators
29 minutes ago, dewdev said:

Any other vents in the main cabin? Not sure if any are the pictures are in the bathroom. What was done in the bathroom for supply and return vents?

See the 1st, 3rd and 4th pictures in Rivernerds post above for the supply vent and both the front and backside of the vent that "returns" the air into the area between the shells just aft of the black tank under the forward dinette seat.

Bill

• Like 2

2023 Ford F150 Lariat 3.5EB FX4 Max Towing, Max Payload, 2016 Oliver Elite II - Hull #117 "Twist"

I have received multiple requests to post the inspection checklist I created before we took delivery on our Elite II on November 10, 2022.  I have been hesitant to post it publicly, as it was not initially created with public consumption in mind, but only for my private use.  My original version contains many personal notes that will not apply to others.

I am also concerned that the inspection checklist may create the mis-impression that Oliver makes lots of production mistakes.  Please remember that this list was compiled from hundreds of posts on this forum covering more than 5 years, and that only a few posters found multiple issues with their trailers.

But, I reflected on the fact that Oliver encourages buyers to conduct careful inspections after delivery, and to bring their trailers back to the Sales and Service Center before leaving Tennessee (like we did) so any issues can be addressed.  In the spirit of that commendable policy, I have created an updated and edited version of the document which does not include personal notes, but does include some additional comments in bold font based on what I learned during the delivery process.

Thus, a Word version of my edited inspection checklist appears below.  It now has fewer items, as I found during our delivery process that some were not relevant to the trailers being manufactured now.

Please remember that my thorough inspection after delivery revealed only one production error, of the nearly 100 defects on my original list, in our trailer (a roof leak).  It is my impression that Oliver is now paying much better attention to detail than at some times in the past, and that my fears that arose from compiling that long list of defects were mostly unfounded.

Please keep in mind that the Oliver team, including Operations Manager Rodney Lomax and Service Manager Jason Essary, did an outstanding job of promptly and effectively responding to the issues we raised when we took delivery.  They are great people with outstanding business integrity.  It would hurt me deeply if my list were used to cause them grief, after they went the “extra mile” to take such good care of us.  SO, PLEASE USE IT RESPECTFULLY AND WISELY.

Ralph Pond a/k/a Rivernerd

1010819054_THINGSTOCHECKONOLIVERELITEIIONINITIALINSPECTION.docx

• Thanks 5
  • Like 2

Hull #1291

Central Idaho

2022 Elite II

ARCOIDNMOKORTNTXUTsm.jpg

Thank you for your efforts and words of caution and use Rivernerd.This website is the best I’ve seen in its attempt to share known issues, non-issues, and resolved issues with the members. Very, very helpful for a soon-to-be owner!

Regards,

Jeff

• Thanks 2

2014 Ford F350 Super Duty 6.7 Power Stroke with heavy duty tow package; 3.55 ratio; AirLift rear suspension

2023 Elite ll Twin Bed and Lithium Pro and Truma Package; Hull #1368; Delivery Date: April 12,2023

Homebased in Richland, WA

I want to thank Rivernerd for the great content and information that he has provided.  I am a noobie at RV’g and this will definitely make my upcoming inspection much easier to deal with.  So thank you for putting this out there for all of us. 

• Like 2

2021 Ram 1500 Limited 4x4

2023 LE ll Twin (delivery date April 6, 2023)