Hull #1291 Delivery, Inspection and Warranty Service Report

Rivernerd

18 hours ago, Rivernerd said:

Although Oliver obviously can get Goodyear Wrangler LT 16" tires now, (that is what is installed on our Elite II delivered November 10), Oliver has decided to go with Goodyear ST tires on 15" wheels starting in March, 2023.  They did not offer a reason.

This is rather disappointing to me. Oliver for many years marketed their 16" LT tires as one of the reasons their trailer frame/chassis was better. It is dis-hearting to see them downgrade to the standard ST tire for their trailers now. 

Whether it is a downgrade is a matter of opinion.

I would have preferred the 15" wheels with ST tires.  Too bad we can't swap!

ST ("Special Trailer") tires are designed for trailer use, and have thicker, stronger sidewalls than LT ("light truck") tires, which are designed for "Light Truck" use.  ST tires have higher load ratings because of the thicker sidewalls.  And, with 15" wheels, you have more rubber and less metal, which provides a softer ride. I believe a softer ride is better for a "tiny house" on wheels, with all of the plumbing, electrical, refrigerator, TV on a hinged bracket, etc.

• Like 4

Hull #1291

Central Idaho

2022 Elite II

Tow Vehicle:  2019 Tundra Double Cab 4x4, 5.7L with tow package

ARCOIDNMOKORTNTXUTsm.jpg

On 11/21/2022 at 6:26 AM, Rivernerd said:

The drum brake backing pads do not have rubber plugs to protect the adjustment mechanism from road grit.

I just ordered two sets of 4 rubber brake backing plate adjuster plugs from Amazon for a total of $13.50.  Link below:

https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B002EP9U50/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Apparently, Oliver's choice to not provide these plugs with the Dexter drum brakes is not unique.  I found reviews noting that other folks' RVs did not come with these either.  It's a cheap and easy preventive measure.

• Like 4

Hull #1291

Central Idaho

2022 Elite II

ARCOIDNMOKORTNTXUTsm.jpg

23 minutes ago, Rivernerd said:

And, with 15" wheels, you have more rubber and less metal, which provides a softer ride. I believe a softer ride is better for a "tiny house" on wheels, with all of the plumbing, electrical, refrigerator, TV on a hinged bracket, etc.

I agree if the outside diameter is the same as the current 16” wheels. I believe the 2023 model Olivers will be equipped with Goodyear Endurance ST225/75R15. What size 16s do you have on your LE2 Ralph?

2023 Elite II, Hull# 1386, Lithium Platinum Package (640AH, 400W Solar, 3000W Xantrex Inverter)
Truma water heater & AC

TV: 2024 Silverado 2500HD 6.6L 10-Speed Allison

• Moderators
1 hour ago, Zodd said:

This is rather disappointing to me. Oliver for many years marketed their 16" LT tires as one of the reasons their trailer frame/chassis was better. It is dis-hearting to see them downgrade to the standard ST tire for their trailers now. 

Perhaps for a better understanding or at least a more complete background knowledge on this topic everyone should review THIS thread.

Bill

• Thanks 1
  • Like 2

2023 Ford F150 Lariat 3.5EB FX4 Max Towing, Max Payload, 2016 Oliver Elite II - Hull #117 "Twist"

1 hour ago, Rich.Dev said:

I believe the 2023 model Olivers will be equipped with Goodyear Endurance ST225/75R15. What size 16s do you have on your LE2 Ralph?

Goodyear Wrangler LT225/75R16.  E-rated.  Max load=2680 lbs. per tire.

They are 28.3" in diameter.

According to this Tire Rack web page for the Goodyear Endurance ST225/75R15 tire, it is also 28.3" in diameter.

https://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires.jsp?gclid=EAIaIQobChMIwvbOyIXI-wIVsWpvBB2d9QcjEAQYASABEgL6CfD_BwE&tireMake=Goodyear&tireModel=Endurance&partnum=275NR5END&GCID=C13674x012-tire&KEYWORD=tires.jsp_Goodyear_Endurance_Tire&code=yes&ef_id=EAIaIQobChMIwvbOyIXI-wIVsWpvBB2d9QcjEAQYASABEgL6CfD_BwE:G:s&s_kwcid=AL!3756!3!537118804928!!!u!293946777986!&gclsrc=aw.ds

• Like 1

Hull #1291

Central Idaho

2022 Elite II

ARCOIDNMOKORTNTXUTsm.jpg

2 minutes ago, Rivernerd said:

Goodyear Wrangler LT225/75R16.  E-rated.  Max load=2680 lbs. per tire.

They are 28.3" in diameter.

According to this Tire Rack web page for the Goodyear Endurance ST225/75R15 tire, it is also 28.3" in diameter.

Great, so more rubber and same ground clearance! 😊

• Like 3

2023 Elite II, Hull# 1386, Lithium Platinum Package (640AH, 400W Solar, 3000W Xantrex Inverter)
Truma water heater & AC

TV: 2024 Silverado 2500HD 6.6L 10-Speed Allison

On 11/21/2022 at 6:26 AM, Rivernerd said:

OLIVER HULL #1291 DELIVERY, INSPECTION AND WARRANTY SERVICE EXPERIENCE

Installing X-Chocks between the wheels on the two axles.

If you posted about these items, THANK YOU!

ALAZARCACOCTDEFLGAHIIDILINIAKSKYLAMEMDMA

Arizona | 2020 Oliver Elite II Twin bed Hull #617 | 2021 Ram 1500 e-Hemi 4x4

4 hours ago, Rivernerd said:

I just ordered two sets of 4 rubber brake backing plate adjuster plugs from Amazon for a total of $13.50.  Link below:

https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B002EP9U50/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Apparently, Oliver's choice to not provide these plugs with the Dexter drum brakes is not unique.  I found reviews noting that other folks' RVs did not come with these either.  It's a cheap and easy preventive measure.

What do they do and is there a picture of a before and after placement of these plugs?

John

• Like 1

John and Debbie, Beaverton, Oregon,  2017 Ford Expedition EL 4x4 3.5 liter Ecoboost, with heavy duty tow package. Hull #1290, twin bed with Truma package (a/c, furnace, hot water heater with electric antifreeze option), lithium pro package, picked up November 7, 2022

spacer.png

1 hour ago, CnC said:

Note X-Chocks and similar items need re-tightened as tires cool - sometimes more than once.

That's good to know.  I don't have them though I thought about getting them.  I am using the solid rubber chocks from Harbor Freight.  I am happy with those.

John 

John and Debbie, Beaverton, Oregon,  2017 Ford Expedition EL 4x4 3.5 liter Ecoboost, with heavy duty tow package. Hull #1290, twin bed with Truma package (a/c, furnace, hot water heater with electric antifreeze option), lithium pro package, picked up November 7, 2022

spacer.png

11 minutes ago, John Welte said:

What do they do

There are access holes on the backside of the brakes that allow you to adjust the brake shoes.   Inserting rubber plugs  in the holes help prevent water and dirt from getting in.   See snip from Dexter Manual.    I haven’t had a chance to crawl under mine to look to see if I have them or not.   If not, I’m going to order some. 

9115FF67-1436-4898-9B47-2028D41E3C94.jpeg

• Like 1

“Ramble” - 2021 Legacy Elite II #797;  2020 Ford F-250

2 minutes ago, Hokieman said:

There are access holes on the backside of the brakes that allow you to adjust the brake shoes.   Inserting rubber plugs  in the holes help prevent water and dirt from getting in.   See snip from Dexter Manual.    I haven’t had a chance to crawl under mine to look to see if I have them or not.   If not, I’m going to order some. 

9115FF67-1436-4898-9B47-2028D41E3C94.jpeg

Thanks.  Would there be any reason to not have them covered?  If no good reason, then it seems like a no brainer to cover the hole.

John

spacer.png

8 minutes ago, John Welte said:

Would there be any reason to not have them covered?

No reason I can think of, except maybe to save a few $.   All cars and trucks with drum brakes had them from the factory.

• Thanks 1
  • Like 2

“Ramble” - 2021 Legacy Elite II #797;  2020 Ford F-250

10 hours ago, Rivernerd said:

Thanks for posting this link. Ordered!

2020 OLEII - Hull #634 aka-  “XPLOR” 

2021 F350 6.7 liter Diesel Lariat Ultimate Tremor aka- Beast

IMG_2879.jpeg

• Moderators
10 hours ago, John Welte said:

Would there be any reason to not have them covered? 

Well - 

All of the brake drums that I've ever dealt with are not "sealed" by any stretch of the imagination.  Therefore, water, dirt, etc. can fairly easily enter into virtually any of the working parts of these brakes - with or without the plugs.  Having said this - I think that keeping as much of this out of the inner workings as possible can only help make the performance and longevity better.  Yes, these holes were originally designed as a port to be used to manually adjust the brakes.  And, some engineer (hopefully with a much better understanding of all the details surrounding these brakes) also designed a plug to cover that hole.  Without any firm evidence to the contrary it seems prudent to plug the holes.

Bill

• Thanks 1
  • Like 1

2023 Ford F150 Lariat 3.5EB FX4 Max Towing, Max Payload, 2016 Oliver Elite II - Hull #117 "Twist"

5 hours ago, Patriot said:

Thanks for posting this link. Ordered!

I  hope the ones I ordered fit our new Ollie.  One of the comments on Amazon advised they are "universal fit," but you never know until you install them.   Mine are scheduled to arrive Tuesday.

I will post if they don't fit....

• Like 1

Hull #1291

Central Idaho

2022 Elite II

ARCOIDNMOKORTNTXUTsm.jpg

11 hours ago, John Welte said:

I am using the solid rubber chocks from Harbor Freight.  I am happy with those.

I have the Harbor Freight solid rubber chocks as well.  But, I also use X-chocks.  We have found that the X-chocks add some stability to the trailer, working together with the stabilizer jacks.

• Like 3

Hull #1291

Central Idaho

2022 Elite II

ARCOIDNMOKORTNTXUTsm.jpg

• Moderators
6 minutes ago, Rivernerd said:

I have the Harbor Freight solid rubber chocks as well.

The Harbor Freight rubber chocks are presently on sale at $4.99 each for Black Friday.

Bill

• Thanks 1
  • Like 2

• Moderators
4 hours ago, Rivernerd said:

I  hope the ones I ordered fit our new Ollie.  One of the comments on Amazon advised they are "universal fit," but you never know until you install them.   Mine are scheduled to arrive Tuesday.

If they are THESE, they fit fine.  Mike

Texas Hill Country | 2016 Elite II #135 | 2020 Ram 2500 6.7L

ALAZARCACOFLGAIDILKSKYLAMDMSMOMTNENVNMNYNCNDOHOKSCSDTNTXUTVAWVWYsm.jpgALAZARCACOCTDEFLGAIDILINIAKSKYLAMEMDMAMS

• Moderators

I do love those cheap, but very heavy, harbor freight chocks. My typical "camper warmimg"  gift to friends and family as  new trailer owners. 

• Like 3

2008 Ram 1500 4 × 4

2008 Oliver Elite, Hull #12

Florida and Western North Carolina, or wherever the truck goes....

400 watts solar. DC compressor fridge. No inverter. 2 x 105 ah agm batteries .  Life is good.

7 hours ago, Rivernerd said:

If mine don’t fit Amazon surely gets them back. Thanks for the link irregardless. 👍🏻👍🏻

IMG_2879.jpeg

On 11/24/2022 at 3:02 PM, Rivernerd said:

ST ("Special Trailer") tires are designed for trailer use, and have thicker, stronger sidewalls than LT ("light truck") tires, which are designed for "Light Truck" use.  ST tires have higher load ratings because of the thicker sidewalls. 

My understanding from two tire shops in Boise is that the ST tires are designed, in part, for the tire “scrubbing” that occurs when making tight turns with a two-axle trailer.  That said, one of the shops (Les Schwab) said they sell many LT tires for trailer applications.  Unless necessary, I try to avoid excessively tight turns to reduce scrubbing.  

• Like 3

2021 Oliver LE2
Ram 2500 diesel

On 11/25/2022 at 10:08 AM, Rivernerd said:

Rest assured Rivernerd they do fit. A beautiful sunny 60 degree Western North Carolina day had me outside laying under Hull #634 installing all four sets. I think it took me 10 minutes including me getting up and down and off the concrete slab in the Ollie Hangar. 😄
Thanks for the post and the link to the caps! 
Patriot 🇺🇸
3FD0067B-57FD-4FE7-ADEF-335030AA6786.thumb.jpeg.456f58412a0fc168f03ebf43d703c9b5.jpeg

Please excuse the inverted photo 😎. That’s how it landed when I uploaded it. You get the idea, they fit fine. I see a dirty wheel interior wow that won’t pass muster, I better get busy. 😄

01CDC036-837E-4C37-8719-E2564D9E5B21.thumb.jpeg.43c85684cc7cb92587127b7f3c3edd97.jpeg

• Thanks 1
  • Like 6

IMG_2879.jpeg