Hull #1291 Delivery, Inspection and Warranty Service Report

Rivernerd

On 11/25/2022 at 10:13 AM, Rivernerd said:

I have the Harbor Freight solid rubber chocks as well.  But, I also use X-chocks.  We have found that the X-chocks add some stability to the trailer, working together with the stabilizer jacks.

We use X-chocks as well and also added them to our arrival/departure checklists. They do add noticeable stability to the Ollie. We like checklists and yes always use them thanks to my bride/copilot. Forgetting an installed X-chock would not turn out well at all.

• Like 2

2020 OLEII - Hull #634 aka-  “XPLOR” 

2021 F350 6.7 liter Diesel Lariat Ultimate Tremor aka- Beast

IMG_2879.jpeg

I read your post and Im wondering if I may have been the cause of some of the balancing bead issues. On the way back home from TN to MA  this past October and two days after we took delivery of hull number 1265 I decided to take off one of my tire monitors to add a little air to one of my tires. When I removed the monitor I noticed that the valve was leaking and poking it with a pin would not stop the  leaking. So I screwed the sensor back on to stop the leak and we looked for an auto part store so that I could get  a new valve stem and buy the little removal tool needed to take the stem out. . When I went to change the valve stem I could not remove it, it was stuck, it would unscrew but would not come out. So rather than fussing with it while on the road I decided to put the spare tire on and deal with it when I got home. When we got home I  called Oliver and spoke to Mike and they had no Idea what could be going on. So I called a local tire garage and asked them if they ever had this happen. The first word out of his mouth was do you have balancing beads in your tires and I said I have no idea. So I called mike again and he said they no longer used them but I believe my trailer still has them in it. I then decided to check all my tire and sure enough another one was leaking and once again I couldn't get the valve stem out. But this time I was home with a shop with an air compressor and more tools and I finally got the valves out and replaced them. My best guess is there is beads in my tires. So I think I will pull them off this winter bring them to the garage and remove the suspected  beads. On another note we also begged and asked Josh from the day we order our 2022 trailer on multiple occasions if we could wait and pay the upgrade for the Truma furnace but we got no for an answer, l guess we didn't beg hard enough. The fact that we are having a problem with our Dometic furnace makes it is even more annoying. Hey its all good, life isn't perfect we will navigate the bumps in the road and figure it out. All in all we love our little house and for the most part Oliver has been great. 

• Thanks 1

Bill & Nancy 

Holland MA
2022 Elite II  Hull #1265
2022 GMC Diesel Canyon

MDMANCTNsm.jpg

14 hours ago, Bill and Nancy said:

On another note we also begged and asked Josh from the day we order our 2022 trailer on multiple occasions if we could wait and pay the upgrade for the Truma furnace but we got no for an answer, l guess we didn't beg hard enough.

We not only asked, but got lucky.

We were also initially told "no," because there were no open, later, production dates into which we could be slotted.  So I put in a request, advising that if a later production date opened up, we would be happy to defer delivery to get the Truma AC upgrade.  When that later (September 29) production date became available (which meant a November 10 delivery date), Rodney Lomax called to confirm, and we accepted, even though it meant towing our new Ollie back from Tennessee to Idaho in November instead of September--when driving conditions in the west can be icy.  Mr. Lomax also made clear that getting the Truma AC was not a sure thing, because it depended on that first shipment of Aventa units from Truma being received before production began on our trailer.  That shipment date was projected, but not guaranteed.  We understood the risk, and accepted it, knowing that we might be driving back to Idaho in icy conditions with a Dometic Penguin II AC unit instead of a Truma.

As it turned out, the shipment was timely received (in this era of supply chain issues).  We got the Truma AC and, despite an early winter in the west, and the delays in Hohenwald detailed in my report, ended up with a timely weather window.  It allowed us to complete the trip home on mostly dry roads (but dealing with some cold nights with lows in single digits and teens at high elevations).

Our first notice that the $3800 Truma upgrade included the Varioheat furnace came when we received an updated Deposit Receipt from Oliver in July noting that the Truma upgrade included the Varioheat furnace instead of the stock Suburban.  At the time, we were focused on the Truma Aventa AC, and honestly didn't have a preference for either furnace.  But, since the Varioheat furnace came as part of the package, we hoped it would be an improvement.  For what it's worth, we did have some furnace ignition issues on cold nights at high elevation in New Mexico, Colorado and Utah last week, but we suspect it was the elevation (4800 to 6200 feet) affecting propane gasification, which probably would have occurred with either furnace.  But, as noted in my report, we are pleased with the more robust ducting, and the additional return air vent that came with the Varioheat.

I am sorry you are having so much trouble with your furnace, and apparently wound up with balance beads without the screened valve stems.

I recommend you submit a service ticket to Oliver, advise them that you have had two stuck valve stems, and ask them to ship to you 5 of the Counteract filtered valve stems they mailed to everyone else who mistakenly got balance beads.  Swapping out valve stems should be much easier than trying to remove all of the balance beads.

In your shoes, I would have a less positive view of Oliver as well...

• Like 1

Hull #1291

Central Idaho

2022 Elite II

Tow Vehicle:  2019 Tundra Double Cab 4x4, 5.7L with tow package

ARCOIDNMOKORTNTXUTsm.jpg

Unfortunately I don't believe the Counteract filtered valve stems are the issue. The wheels already have them installed. I believe that I caused the problem by attaching  screw on tire pressure monitors. They allow the valve stem to remain open at all times and the balancing beads bypass the filter mechanism and get stuck in the valve core causing it to remain open. I have Counteract beads in my motorcycle tires and its never been an issue, but I have internal tire pressure sensors. So I think I will either remove the beads or install internal sensors before spring.

Either should solve the problem.

Thanks for the feed back

Bill 

• Like 3

Bill & Nancy 

Holland MA
2022 Elite II  Hull #1265
2022 GMC Diesel Canyon

MDMANCTNsm.jpg

On 11/23/2022 at 8:22 PM, Rivernerd said:

The second photo shows the rear supply air vent and the return air grill in the main cabin.

Nice review, is there a filter on that return air vent? It looks unnecessarily large compared to ones I have seen in other varioheat applications. Without a filter I can imagine all kinds of lint, pet hair, dirt and dust accumulating in the lower compartment which could become a hazard.

Thanks again for the details and the checklist. 

Brian

40 minutes ago, Brian and Brandelyne said:

So these take two per wheel?

Brian

Yes two rubber plugs per wheel. So order I ordered 2 boxes.

• Thanks 2

2020 OLEII - Hull #634 aka-  “XPLOR” 

2021 F350 6.7 liter Diesel Lariat Ultimate Tremor aka- Beast

IMG_2879.jpeg

2 hours ago, Brian and Brandelyne said:

Is there a filter on that return air vent? It looks unnecessarily large compared to ones I have seen in other varioheat applications.

No filter.  But there will be no pet hair in our trailer, because pets are not allowed.  One reason we purchased a travel trailer is my severe cat allergy and significant dog allergy.

The return air vent in the bath is 2" OD, the same size as the supply vents in the trailer.  It just looks big in my photo.

• Like 3

Hull #1291

Central Idaho

2022 Elite II

Tow Vehicle:  2019 Tundra Double Cab 4x4, 5.7L with tow package

ARCOIDNMOKORTNTXUTsm.jpg

14 hours ago, Rivernerd said:

The return air vent in the bath is 2" OD, the same size as the supply vents in the trailer.  It just looks big in my photo.

Thanks, I was talking about the vent under the bed. That is the "Main Air Return" and, IMO, I think it should have a filter.

I can always add one if I think it needs it later.

Thanks,

Brian

• Like 1

17 hours ago, Brian and Brandelyne said:

Without a filter I can imagine all kinds of lint, pet hair, dirt and dust accumulating in the lower compartment

I've had the sail switch on the furnace gum up with lint a couple times, resulting in unsuccessful start attempts.  Not a big deal to fix, just annoying.

John

• Thanks 1
  • Like 1

Oliver II #996 "Bessie", 2019 Silverado LTZ 5.3, Veterans

https://wenandjohnsadventure.com/

On 11/21/2022 at 7:26 AM, Rivernerd said:

A leak appeared onto the standard bed area below the Truma Aventa air conditioner. It rained in Hohenwald the night we took delivery, then we found the leak the next day when we arrived at David Crockett State Park. As we had not used the AC, we suspected something on the roof needed to be resealed to prevent rainwater from penetrating the hull when on the road.  This issue was on my list.

We just visited the factory at Hohenwald to take some measurements and pictures.  We live about 90 minutes away so it is easy to do.

While we were there, one of the techs mentioned Truma had issued a service bulletin on the screws originally sent with the air conditioner units and advised Oliver to not use them. Truma sent new screws to use for installation of the a/c units to prevent leaks.

You might want to have a conversation with them to determine if the additional caulking was the appropriate corrective action or if something else needs to be performed to prevent leaks down the road.

Brian

• Thanks 2