Blowout

jam49

I aired up my truck tires then Revilo's tires and away I went. I purposefully waited until around six o'oclock in the evening because it was so hot. I am so thankful I heeded the advice of others on this forum to keep my speed around 55 mph when pulling my trailer because I heard an extremely loud bang, the truck jerked to the right, and I could see Revilo go down! The shredded tire knocked and ruined the metal vent by the right tire.

I truly believe that the only reason I didn't loose control and turn over was the safer speed I was driving. I called USAA for roadside assistance. After a somewhat short wait, the tire was changed and I was on my way again.

Enjoyed camping with the grandkids. They had to leave early so I was by myself. Packed everything up, went thru the departure routine of checking lights, checking tires and thennnnn I discovered that the other tire was on it's last breath. (They are only two years old and I keep them covered with the tire covers)

Fortunately, I was able to drive about 10 miles an hour on the River road which has posted speed lots very slow anyway because of all the campers, trailers and bends in the road.

Very carefully I drove to a Discount tire store where I get my truck tires. As I write this I am waiting for two brand new tires to be put on.

Two things I am very grateful for as a result of this experience - the first is that I heeded the advice to not drive faster than 55 mph when pulling Revilo and keep my roadside assistance as well as all insurance current and paid up. When I saw revilo swaying I thought we were both goners!

Glad your ok. I'm not advocating driving faster, but if road and weather are good I usually run at 60 mph, sometimes even 65. Had a blow out on the trailer somewhere between those speeds. The experience was not as bad as I imagined it would be. Heard the tire pop and simply came to a safe stop without and adverse affects on handling.

I do want to mention that my tire problems were due to an axle issue. If you search the forum regarding axles, I think you will find a number of posts. Not saying this may be why your tires only lasted two years, but it is worth looking at so you don't have a repeat of the same problem.

As I got out to inspect the damage, I glanced at the thermometer in my truck and it was showing around 105 degrees. I wonder what the pavement temperature measured. The roadside assistance person said it might have been the heat that caused the blowout because he had been on other calls to change tires that had no other obvious reason for the blowout. I don't recall but there may have been discussion earlier on the forum about heat, tires, and blowouts.

I had called the factory about a month ago with some questions I had. Others I have talked to said that my trailer has the heavy duty axle with 6 lug nuts. Robert happened to return my call and he confirmed that I have the heavy duty axle.

Carlisle Radial tires are the best trailer tires that Discount Tires carries. TIme willl tell whether these tires measure up to some of the other tires talked about in earlier posts.

I am always glad to hear when others have safely gotten through the experience of a blowout. When and if it happens, check the other tire also. What are the odds that both tires go bad at the same time? I consider myself extremely lucky that both tires didn't blow out at the same time because I only had one spare!

Has anybody else had tire problems that may be related to the heat?

Yes... we had tire issues last month.

We were delivering the Ollie to San Marcos and about 100 miles north of the destination, noticed the belts were bulging on the drivers side.

Tires were the Chinese radials with maybe 12K tops on them. The brand that came with it on the 5K axle.

Found a trailer only center north of Austin so pulled off and had him have boo. Verdict was to go to bias ply as they shred quite rapidly without taking precious fibreglass off the trailer carcass. No steel belts to continue shredding the wheel-wells. Nasty.

The temps in Texas right now are un-condusive to high speed travel. Rubber seems to enjoy cooler roads.