Rusty & Sticky Brakes

GAP

I recently did my very first (done by me) axle bearing repack job.  While everything was apart, did my best to inspect the brakes.  My 2021 E2 will be 2 years old and has 16,000 miles.  I live in New England and use the trailer through the winter so unsurprisingly, brake mechanisms were quite rusty.  I used the magnet to slide the mechanism rearward to check for ease of operation.  One was impossible to move by hand.  That one also dragged slightly when I turned the hub before disassembling.  While tire was still on, I gave it a spin and it turned multiple rotations but I could hear a little dragging.  

To unlock the mechanism, I carefully applied some spray lithium making sure to not contaminate brake pads.  After, wiped them down with brake cleaner for good measure.  Was able to unfreeze the unit but, after reassembling and giving another spin, I could still hear a very slight drag.  Spun freely but I am concerned that the should be no drag at all.  Can one of you mechanically inclined offer a suggestion?

Gerry

SOLD:  2021 Elite 2, Twin Bed, Lithium & Solar, 3000W Inverter

SOLD:  2022 Ford F150, 3.5L V6 EcoBoost, 4x4 Supercab, Trailer Tow Package

23 minutes ago, GAP said:

While tire was still on, I gave it a spin and it turned multiple rotations but I could hear a little dragging.  

Did you check the adjustment mechanism on the bottom of the assembly?  You should be able to back off the adjustment screw a bit to create more separation between the shoe and the hub.

Hull #1291

Central Idaho

2022 Elite II

Tow Vehicle:  2019 Tundra Double Cab 4x4, 5.7L with tow package

ARCOIDNMOKORTNTXUTsm.jpg

Just now, Rivernerd said:

Did you check the adjustment mechanism on the bottom of the assembly?  You should be able to back off the adjustment screw a bit to create more separation between the shoe and the hub.

It seemed that before I applied the spay lithium, I could not move the magnet or shoe at all.  That was my bigger concern.  I didn't bother to adjust as I had assumed that the mechanism would self adjust when used as these are Never Adjust hubs.  Also, when checking temperatures on hubs during pit stops, all seems reasonably close.

10 minutes ago, Rivernerd said:

See this excellent post by John Davies for instruction on how to adjust "Nev-R-Adjust" brakes on an Oliver.

The links to video and written materials at top of John's post no longer work.  I'll go out and manually adjust but am most concerned about what seemed to be a sticking magnet which would not allow the tension arm to move at all.  I don't see any leaking fluid so am assuming that while only two years old, my stuff is being effected by rust.  I'll need to verify as we are planning a 3000 miles ski safari starting at the end of December