Girard Awning Issue

connor77

Our 2021 Elite II has the Girard upgraded awning and my issue is that it doesn't close completely in the center of the awning.  Both ends fully retract but there is a "belly" in the center of the awning and it juts out about an inch.  I have checked to make sure there is nothing preventing it from closing in the center.  No acorns or anything else.  I can very gently push it in to confirm nothing is impeding it.

I am reluctant to touch the adjustment screws that control travel in and out because both the front and rear of the awning retract all the way in.  The issue is only in the center.  Has anyone else had this issue and, if so, how did you address it?   I have a opened a service ticket but wanted to try the forum as well.

I'll figure out how to rotate the image so that it's right side up....someday.

CenterGap2_50.jpg

ALCTKYMENHNYNCPATNVTVAWVsm.jpg2021 Elite 2 Hull # 832 "Bucket List"

2021 F250 7.3L Gas / 4.30 AR

Has this been a issue from day one. The reason I ask is on my 2019 the mount brackets are not aligned and my awning has a visible twist in it from front to back, is it possible the middle mount is not in line with the two outside ones. Maybe pulling a string on the back side of the awing mounts would verify alignment. Just a thought of a possible explanation.

Paul   

I had a similar problem with my awning on my 2018 Elite II (different brand). I called the awning manufacture and they walked me through correcting the situation. Just saying.

2018 Oliver Elite II, Twin Bed, Hull #354 

2024 RAM 1500, 4 x 4; Gas. 5.7L V8 Hemi MDS VVT Torque; 3.21 rear axle ratio

Maine 

I think my issue has to do with the arm "stops" and where they are positioned.  My mounting brackets are straight as I checked that first.  The outer edge of the awning has allen screws that determine the in/out travel of the awning arms.  That is what I think needs to be adjusted but I'm waiting on a response from Oliver service before I do anything.

I called Girard and they weren't helpful at all.  They just sent me the manual which I already had.  I called again and spoke to someone else in Girard service who said he would send instructions on how to correct the issue but he never did this. 

Hopefully Mike in service can walk me through how to make the necessary adjustments. 

I had the same problem.

PXL_20221016_213616051.thumb.jpg.7af85322043da59c2755b6b0800dad10.jpg

Ended up using the hex screw to adjust the retraction stop point and pull it in a bit tighter. I just adjusted the screw a little at a time and listened to the motor to be sure I wasn't overworking it. The gap is gone now. 

• Thanks 1
  • Like 2

Stephanie and Dudley from CT.  2022 LE2, Hull #1150: Eggcelsior.

Tow vehicle: 2016 GMC Sierra 6.0 gas dually 4x4.

Our Oliver journey: Steph and Dud B's RV Screed

Where we've been RVing since 1999:

ALAZCACOCTDEFLGAIDILINIAKYLAMEMDMAMIMNMSMOMTNENVNHNMNYNCNDOHOKORPASCSDTNTXUTVTVAWAWVWIWYmed.jpg.b96241bad6752dec89d25af6ffbc8d99.jpg

Same here..  mine was just the rear end.  U just move awning out about 2 ft. Adj.  bring it in  it took about 3 adj.  OK NOW.. I was going in blind at first ..  then adj that screw.. good luck 

• Thanks 1
  • Like 1

2022 Elite I  # 1179  |  2024 Tundra SR5 4x4 Crewmax. 5.5 ft. Bed. 3.31gears 10 spd.trans

18 hours ago, Steph and Dud B said:

I had the same problem.

Ended up using the hex screw to adjust the retraction stop point and pull it in a bit tighter. I just adjusted the screw a little at a time and listened to the motor to be sure I wasn't overworking it. The gap is gone now. 

This is exactly what mine looked like.  I was reluctant, at first, to adjust the set screw because both the front and rear of the awning properly retracted and tucked up and in nicely where they're supposed to go.  Early this morning I figured I'd try making very small adjustments to the in travel screw and listen to see if the motor was working harder and longer than I thought it should.  Like you, I made a couple of small adjustments and it's considerably better now.  The awning fabric is no longer visible from the top.  There is still a small curve outwards in the center but I can live with it until Spring time when I can get it completely adjusted and corrected.  It's getting cold where I am so I needed to remove my batteries which I did after I made the adjustment to the awning.

Thank you all very much for the help. 

Edited by connor77
clarity
  • Thanks 1
  • Like 2

• 2 months later...
On 11/29/2022 at 3:20 PM, Steph and Dud B said:

I had the same problem.

Just happened to us as well.  Followed Steph and Dud B, and Conner77's lead and the result was "a fix"!  Yay :)

John

• Like 1

Oliver II #996 "Bessie", 2019 Silverado LTZ 5.3, Veterans

https://wenandjohnsadventure.com/