Closet shoe rack

Steve and Cindy

Interesting shoe rack! Necessity is the mother of invention and now making your Ollie yours.👍🏻

We typically don’t travel with a lot of footwear (usually 3 pair ea) for the two of us.  We carry a pair of Merrell walking shoes, reliable crocks, and our old hiking boots. These are kept outside of our Oliver usually in the bed of our truck in a small plastic tub. We just make it a practice to not wear or store our shoes inside our Oliver. Germaphobes? 😅 hahaha…well yes I guess you could say that. Some CGs can be pretty nasty places to walk around, not to mention the some of the bath houses. 
We don’t wear shoes inside our brick and motor home so we don’t in our Ollie. Our quick slip on pair of pretty much weather proof campsite crocks are usually stored under the steps for quick and easy access. Just different view point on shoe storage or as it’s been said not one size fits all. 😊

12F97AD1-D065-4373-919A-919B65293815.thumb.jpeg.fa5dfd0bbe524236a3394ff6429e055e.jpeg

• Like 7

2020 OLEII - Hull #634 aka-  “XPLOR” 

2021 F350 6.7 liter Diesel Lariat Ultimate Tremor aka- Beast

IMG_2879.jpeg

13 hours ago, Steve and Cindy said:

We have always struggled with what to do with our shoes other than a pile at the bottom of the closet.  After much thought, we came up with the idea of a rack suspended below the lower closet shelf.   This is two shelves made of 1/4" MDF suspended on threaded rod, with 1/2" PVC concealing the rod and providing some stability.  It is set back just far enough to allow the clothes hangers in front to move freely.  As a bonus, the offset from the black vent pipe leaves just enough room to snugly tuck in the extra piece of hypervent.  Looking forward to road testing it in the coming year!  

IMG_2754.jpg

IMG_2752.jpg

That’s a very clever space saving idea you could use to store anything! Does it not interfere (enough depth) with your clothes/coats hanging? We hang all our clothes. I would like this just to fill the dead space back there to store odds and ends. We currently use an inexpensive hanging shoe rack. 

• Like 2

2021 Dodge Ram 1500 

2021 Oliver Elite ll 

Hull #732 

Michigan 

It's a tight fit depth wise, but I was able to size the dimensions to provide a small amount of clearance to the plastic hangers shown in the picture.  It could be scaled back a bit if just used for odds and ends, or if someone has smaller feet than my size 13's.  I have about 13-14 inches of shelf depth on the left side, and the depth decreases as it follow the contour of the hull around to the right side.  

• Thanks 1
  • Like 3

2016 F-150 3.5L EcoBoost 4x4 Max Tow | 2022 Oliver Elite II - Hull#1034 'Hullabaloo' 

4 hours ago, Katjo said:

That’s a very clever space saving idea you could use to store anything! Does it not interfere (enough depth) with your clothes/coats hanging? We hang all our clothes. I would like this just to fill the dead space back there to store odds and ends. We currently use an inexpensive hanging shoe rack. 

Hi --- like your shoe holder. Where did you get it & do you have the name of it. Thx

SGC & GRC

Hull 224 [2017]

2017 GMC Sierra HD Crew Cab Diesel

ALARDEFLGAINLAMEMDMNMSMOMTNJNCNDOHPASCSD   Map of Provinces I Visitedimage.png.f8ebba1142570e619cdfe801998f4b4d.png

Sorry, I wish it was commercially available in some form.  I put it together from scratch.  I had been thinking for a while whether there was some existing product that could be adapted to hang below the shelf, but couldn't find anything.  

• Like 2

2016 F-150 3.5L EcoBoost 4x4 Max Tow | 2022 Oliver Elite II - Hull#1034 'Hullabaloo' 

• Moderator+
55 minutes ago, Katjo said:

@sgcausey Geez, I don’t know why it’s not direct linking! 
If you go to Amazon just punch Whitmor Hanging Shoe Shelves 8 section in the search. Here’s a photo of it.

...Snip...

I fixed your link...

• Thanks 3

Steve, Tali and our dog Rocky plus our beloved Storm, Maggie, Lucy and Reacher (all waiting at the Rainbow Bridge)

2008 Legacy Elite I - Outlaw Oliver, Hull #026 | 2014 Legacy Elite II - Outlaw Oliver, Hull #050 | 2022 Silverado High Country 3500HD SRW Diesel 4x4 

801469912_StatesVisitedTaliandSteve08-23-2021-I.jpg.26814499292ab76ee55b889b69ad3ef0.jpg1226003278_StatesVisitedTaliandSteve08-23-2021-H.jpg.dc46129cb4967a7fd2531b16699e9e45.jpg

• Moderator+

Early in our traveling days in our 2008 Oliver Elite, we realized that shoe storage was a problem. Either we were tripping on the ones that seemed to always litter the tiny floor space or digging through the bottom of the closet in search of two that matched.

Tali likes to have her hiking boots, sandals, wet shoes for showering, and her ubiquitous flip-flops. I don't wear sandals, never use any shower other than our own, and literally haven't worn a pair of flip-flops since I first tried them some time around 1956.

I've worn the same boot for a couple of decades or more. It's the only pair of shoes I own. They are Original Swat's in desert tan. I buy them 2-3 pairs at a time at a local Army Surplus store for about $75 per pair. They will last about a year and are the most comfortable shoe I've ever worn. By the time I move on to a new pair they are looking pretty ratty.

So, my shoe storage solution is simple, on all our trips I take only one pair of shoes. I never intentionally go bare foot so I'm either wearing them or they're "stored" on the floor at the foot of my bed waiting on me to get up and put them back on. Problem solved, for me at least. Tali doesn't necessarily see the simplicity in my plan. 

• Like 2

Steve, Tali and our dog Rocky plus our beloved Storm, Maggie, Lucy and Reacher (all waiting at the Rainbow Bridge)

2008 Legacy Elite I - Outlaw Oliver, Hull #026 | 2014 Legacy Elite II - Outlaw Oliver, Hull #050 | 2022 Silverado High Country 3500HD SRW Diesel 4x4 

801469912_StatesVisitedTaliandSteve08-23-2021-I.jpg.26814499292ab76ee55b889b69ad3ef0.jpg1226003278_StatesVisitedTaliandSteve08-23-2021-H.jpg.dc46129cb4967a7fd2531b16699e9e45.jpg

• Moderators
3 hours ago, dewdev said:

And were do they get stored when your get mud in the threads?

Apparently either on his feet or at the foot of the bed. 😁

Bill

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

2023 Ford F150 Lariat 3.5EB FX4 Max Towing, Max Payload, 2016 Oliver Elite II - Hull #117 "Twist"

• Moderators

In cold months , we have a place for boots inside the door. Two pair of boots fit on the mat, under the closet door, and stay relatively warm for the morning. (In mild weather, the boots stay outside, or in the truck bed )

I change out wool socks for yoga socks overnight  if temps are mild. If not, change to lighter weight smartwool socks. I hate cold feet.

• Like 1

2008 Ram 1500 4 × 4

2008 Oliver Elite, Hull #12

Florida and Western North Carolina, or wherever the truck goes....

400 watts solar. DC compressor fridge. No inverter. 2 x 105 ah agm batteries .  Life is good.

• Moderators
3 hours ago, sgcausey said:

Thank you!!!

Pretty much the same as the ikea skubb we've used for 15 years, except that ikea has little fabric skubb drawers that we use for underwear,  t shirts,  etc. 

I won't add another link, as I've added it several times before . if you have an ikea store nearby, its a great resource. Or, order online.

Back to the original topic, the op had a great idea . I think we'll look at it!

• Like 1

2008 Ram 1500 4 × 4

2008 Oliver Elite, Hull #12

Florida and Western North Carolina, or wherever the truck goes....

400 watts solar. DC compressor fridge. No inverter. 2 x 105 ah agm batteries .  Life is good.