Dometic HVAC acting wonky

Update on furnace not working below 45 degrees.

Ended up being a faulty thermostat wire.

Originally, the thermostat had an error code of E1 when we turned on the furnace during our first cold morning this fall. I rebooted the system, the error code went away and the furnace then worked fine above 45 degrees, and below 45 would cycle with the burner only staying lit for 5 seconds. This would repeat a few times during a 20 minute period with the blower running the whole time, then turn off completely. There where no error codes on the furnace circuit board. Then it just stopped working completely until the temps warmed. Finally it just stopped responding completely.

Kudos to the service manager at the local rv dealer for an evaluation and repair. He talked with an Oliver tech who described the rather difficult process of running a new wire as the continuity was broken on 2 of the 3 wires running up to the AC. This apparently has infrequently occurred where the wire is pinched between the hulls during assembly. 

In this case, the wire was compromised and during cold weather the wire contracted enough to short. Then after more miles were driven the wire severed.

I’m very happy to have established a strong service relationship locally. It was interesting that the local dealer was skeptical of the brand as it was the first one they worked on, but very complimentary after completing the work and engaging Oliver’s service department with constructive dialog to resolve the problem.

Dometic HVAC system.

Mark
Hull 1111
Chelsea MI

• Thanks 4
  • Like 2

Mark & Lorraine

Chelsea, MI   

2022 Ram 2500

Leave it better than you found it.

I note your post notes work on an Oliver with a Dometic furnace, and you list "Hull 1111" under your name.  But, your automatic signature block says "soon to be Elite II owners." 

Do you need to update your auto signature, or are you upgrading from an Elite I to an Elite II?

Hull #1291

Central Idaho

2022 Elite II

Tow Vehicle:  2019 Tundra Double Cab 4x4, 5.7L with tow package

ARCOIDNMOKORTNTXUTsm.jpg

2 hours ago, Mark and Lorraine said:

Update on furnace not working below 45 degrees.

Ended up being a faulty thermostat wire.

Originally, the thermostat had an error code of E1 when we turned on the furnace during our first cold morning this fall. I rebooted the system, the error code went away and the furnace then worked fine above 45 degrees, and below 45 would cycle with the burner only staying lit for 5 seconds. This would repeat a few times during a 20 minute period with the blower running the whole time, then turn off completely. There where no error codes on the furnace circuit board. Then it just stopped working completely until the temps warmed. Finally it just stopped responding completely.

Kudos to the service manager at the local rv dealer for an evaluation and repair. He talked with an Oliver tech who described the rather difficult process of running a new wire as the continuity was broken on 2 of the 3 wires running up to the AC. This apparently has infrequently occurred where the wire is pinched between the hulls during assembly. 

In this case, the wire was compromised and during cold weather the wire contracted enough to short. Then after more miles were driven the wire severed.

I’m very happy to have established a strong service relationship locally. It was interesting that the local dealer was skeptical of the brand as it was the first one they worked on, but very complimentary after completing the work and engaging Oliver’s service department with constructive dialog to resolve the problem.

Dometic HVAC system.

Mark
Hull 1111
Chelsea MI

Mark where does the error code show up?

Bill & Nancy 

Holland MA
2022 Elite II  Hull #1265
2022 GMC Diesel Canyon

MDMANCTNsm.jpg

• 1 month later...