Need Some Expert Advice On LE2 AC & Electric Hot Water Heater

I just recently picked up our LE2 Hull 1254 with the Lithium Platinum Package.  

Question 1: We tried to run the AC using a Honda EU2200i and the circuit breaker on the generator would trip when the AC is attempting to turn on.  I was at an RV park last week and another Ollie LE2 owner told me he has no issues with using the same generator running his Dometic AC but he has the AGM battery package.  Could the reason why mine doesn't work is because my lithium battery automatically kicked into "bulk charge mode" and draining all the power from the generator?

Question 2; I was boondocking last week and tried to turn my electric water heater on using my Honda 3000is but it wasn't able to turn on Suburban Electric Water Heater element on.  Again, could it be that the Lithium battery was put in "bulk charge mode" and doesn't leave enough power for the generator to source the electric heater element?  Is there a way to turn off the "bulk charge mode" besides having 100% battery charge?

Thanks for your inputs

Hi RV Newbie!   I’ll take a try:

Question 1:   Yes, your AC will work fine on a Honda EU2200, if you have a MicroAir EZ Start installed.  You didn’t say, perhaps they are standard on your new model.  If not, you need one, and they still have a Cyber Monday sale on.  I have an older Honda EU2000 (less power) and it works great with my Dometic AC.  Your problem is likely that you are running other AC equipment simultaneously such as the battery charger, maybe the inverter.   Turn off the inverter and all AC circuit breakers before you run the AC on generator. 

Question 2:   It may be related to Question 1, too much AC stuff running at same time.    Why are you running a generator to heat water?    Just use LP gas for hot water heater (and refrigerator), it’s much more efficient.  Switch those appliances to AC when on shore power only. 

The more you use this forum, you’ll realize the answers to those questions and just about all others you will have, have already been asked and answered here within this forum.   The challenge is finding the answers.   Be patient and search, you’ll figure it out.   Congratulations  on your new trailer and welcome to Ollie World!

• Like 3

“Ramble” - 2021 Legacy Elite II #797;  2020 Ford F-250

39 minutes ago, RV Newbie said:

I just recently picked up our LE2 Hull 1254 with the Lithium Platinum Package.  

Question 1: We tried to run the AC using a Honda EU2200i and the circuit breaker on the generator would trip when the AC is attempting to turn on.  I was at an RV park last week and another Ollie LE2 owner told me he has no issues with using the same generator running his Dometic AC but he has the AGM battery package.  Could the reason why mine doesn't work is because my lithium battery automatically kicked into "bulk charge mode" and draining all the power from the generator?

Question 2; I was boondocking last week and tried to turn my electric water heater on using my Honda 3000is but it wasn't able to turn on Suburban Electric Water Heater element on.  Again, could it be that the Lithium battery was put in "bulk charge mode" and doesn't leave enough power for the generator to source the electric heater element?  Is there a way to turn off the "bulk charge mode" besides having 100% battery charge?

Thanks for your inputs

Hello,

I have an LE2 with lithium batteries. I use a Honda EU2200i to run everything the Dometic AC, HW, and anything else.....but not all at once.

One method I use is the Xantrex iphone app to change the battery charging rate to 10 amps or so...any low value that does not exceed the total amps of the generator plus the AC. It's all about understanding the amp load vs the amps available (from the generator or from any other power source...house plug in, etc).

• Thanks 1

You can also go into the xantrax app and turn the charger ignition control to "auto on" which will effectively disable the charger.  Doing this is also good for the health of your lithium batteries as they really don't like to sit on a float charge for extended periods.

John

image.thumb.png.417e73d559e951939f5f3ed834cba8d9.png

• Thanks 1
  • Like 1

John and Kim

2021 GMC Sierra 2500 AT4 6.6L Duramax 11350 GVWR  3048lb Payload

2021 Oliver Elite II.   Hull #887

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks for all that replied.  I was able to download the Xantrex app and set the "charger current" to 10 amps and was able to power up the AC using the Honda 2000 watt generator.  This is a big deal since I don't have to carry the heavy Honda 3000 on trips anymore.

• Thanks 1