Danger of low budget ebike batteries and chargers.

John E Davies

I've seen a number of videos and articles on this topic. It makes me very nervous charging laptops and other lithium powered devices while not monitoring. We just take for granted that things will just work right always, and yet you hear more and more of garages and homes being destroyed by charging systems/batteries catching fire. 

• Like 1

What's today?............. the most frequently asked question as a retiree 🙄

Chris and Stacie Neuhaus Greenfield, Indiana

2021 Ford F350 7.3L Tremor (Redzilla)

LE2 #1373 - Ordered 10/21/22 - Delivered 05/10/23

States Visited Map

• Moderators

Two years ago my wife and I had a fire in our home office due to the failure of the battery in a laptop while being charged.

Thankfully we were only 40 feet away when the individual cells began exploding out the back of the laptop and the fire only consumed about half the office.

Buy and know how to use several extinguishers - we have ten of THIS TYPE all around the house and garage along with four LIKE THESE.

Certainly they saved our home!

Bill 

• Like 1
  • Wow 3

2023 Ford F150 Lariat 3.5EB FX4 Max Towing, Max Payload, 2016 Oliver Elite II - Hull #117 "Twist"

46 minutes ago, topgun2 said:

Two years ago my wife and I had a fire in our home office due to the failure of the battery in a laptop while being charged.

Thankfully we were only 40 feet away when the individual cells began exploding out the back of the laptop and the fire only consumed about half the office.

Buy and know how to use several extinguishers - we have ten of THIS TYPE all around the house and garage along with four LIKE THESE.

Certainly they saved our home!

Bill 

That was scary.  I have seen ads for a fire blanket too for a kitchen fire as a lot of house fires start in the kitchen.  Good that you were able to put out the fire.  That must have been a frightening experience.

John

John and Debbie, Beaverton, Oregon,  2017 Ford Expedition EL 4x4 3.5 liter Ecoboost, with heavy duty tow package. Hull #1290, twin bed with Truma package (a/c, furnace, hot water heater with electric antifreeze option), lithium pro package, picked up November 7, 2022

spacer.png

• Moderators
6 minutes ago, John Welte said:

That was scary. 

As the individual cells exploded out the back of the computer they were bouncing off the ceiling and small individual fires were already burning a desk, carpet and papers.  Had to unplug the charger first and then hit the fires with the extinguisher.  Let's just say that it was "interesting" for a few moments.😵 

• Wow 3

2023 Ford F150 Lariat 3.5EB FX4 Max Towing, Max Payload, 2016 Oliver Elite II - Hull #117 "Twist"