Toyota and Yamaha collaborating on Hydrogen Powered V8

Patriot

I am not at all surprised to see Toyota R&D looking at developing hydrogen fueled cars and trucks. Nothing in-depth in this article but hydrogen fuel research looks promising. A hydrogen powered V8 would have my attention. Initially I like the idea….Varoom Varoom! 😊

https://www.foxnews.com/auto/toyota-hydrogen-powered-pickup-suv

• Like 3

2020 OLEII - Hull #634 aka-  “XPLOR” 

2021 F350 6.7 liter Diesel Lariat Ultimate Tremor aka- Beast

IMG_2879.jpeg

• The title was changed to Toyota and Yamaha collaborating on Hydrogen Powered V8

Toyota is also exploring the simple burning of hydrogen in an internal combustion engine, which emits water vapor instead of carbon dioxide.”

I always find the research into hydrogen powered vehicles to be interesting.  I can speak from personal experience and background that getting an internal combustion engine to run on hydrogen does not take a huge amount of research (see attached photo from 1979 news article on my senior engineering project at Penn State, that’s a very young me second from right).  Hydrogen is a great fuel for an internal combustion engine.  That’s never been a problem.  We converted a 1968 Dodge Dart with a slant 6 engine to run on hydrogen with some design and modifications to the existing carburetor on the car.  And our research and work was based on previous efforts, so it wasn’t anything groundbreaking, even way back in 1979.   The issue with hydrogen powered vehicles is that you can’t just go out and mine pure hydrogen anywhere here on earth.  It always exists bound up with some other atom or molecule, with water (H2O) being the common example we all know of.  It takes large amounts of energy to separate out the hydrogen, and it basically winds up being a break even equation.  Because of that, it’s best to think of hydrogen as a way to change or transport energy from one form to another, not really a “free” energy source, but it is a very clean combustion process.  The combustion byproduct on that old car was mostly just water vapor. 

E069D120-027E-4340-90EA-EC30F653AFA9.jpeg

• Like 3

I am pretty sure that having tens of thousands of occasionally poorly maintained hydrogen fueling stations would be a fire marshal’s long term nightmare.

BB35B02A-5FD2-420A-B794-26ACD9C562C2.webp.669538e4eb42f04c521e56230c408331.webp

https://www.smithsonianmag.com/smithsonian-institution/80th-anniversary-hindenburg-disaster-mysteries-remain-180963107/

Of course there were mitigating factors in this case, the dope they used to treat the outer skin was basically dried rocket fuel. 😳 I am sure that Toyota won’t do that.

BTW I LOVE that pic if the four men leaning over their H2 engine. It appears to have a plain paper filter, not a spark arrestor like every marine engine of the time had. POOF! No more hair on the younger ones…. FrankC, did you ever get flash back up through there? How is your hairline?😀

D4716933-364D-49FA-9A5A-C790306CE97A.jpeg.1af98b03a73a99aff78e2a0058e2eeaf.jpeg

John Davies

Spokane WA

SOLD 07/23 "Mouse":  2017 Legacy Elite II Two Beds, Hull Number 218, See my HOW TO threads: https://olivertraveltrailers.com/topic/john-e-davies-how-to-threads-and-tech-articles-links/

Tow Vehicle: 2013 Land Cruiser 200, 32” LT tires, airbags, Safari snorkel, Maggiolina Grand Tour 360 Carbon RTT.

15 minutes ago, John E Davies said:

BTW I LOVE that pic if the four men leaning over their H2 engine. It has a plain paper filter, not a spark arrest or like every marine engine of the time had. POOF! No more hair on the younger ones….

D4716933-364D-49FA-9A5A-C790306CE97A.jpeg.1af98b03a73a99aff78e2a0058e2eeaf.jpeg

John Davies

Spokane WA

We all managed to keep our hair (except for our engineering prof 🙂).  And the engine (and hydrogen flow) was shut off at that moment for the newspaper photo. Too many hands and faces in the engine compartment to take that risk (moving fan blades, belts, etc.).  

• Like 1

And then there is the risky infrastructure of H2 storage and transport….

https://www.eenews.net/articles/lng-explosion-shines-light-on-42-year-old-gas-rules/

I read somewhere that a LNG tanker explosion hit by a terrorist missile could take out a city, and burn the skin off any person within a mile radius.

John Davies

Spokane WA

SOLD 07/23 "Mouse":  2017 Legacy Elite II Two Beds, Hull Number 218, See my HOW TO threads: https://olivertraveltrailers.com/topic/john-e-davies-how-to-threads-and-tech-articles-links/

Tow Vehicle: 2013 Land Cruiser 200, 32” LT tires, airbags, Safari snorkel, Maggiolina Grand Tour 360 Carbon RTT.

1 hour ago, Frank C said:

Toyota is also exploring the simple burning of hydrogen in an internal combustion engine, which emits water vapor instead of carbon dioxide.”

I always find the research into hydrogen powered vehicles to be interesting.  I can speak from personal experience and background that getting an internal combustion engine to run on hydrogen does not take a huge amount of research (see attached photo from 1979 news article on my senior engineering project at Penn State, that’s a very young me second from right).  Hydrogen is a great fuel for an internal combustion engine.  That’s never been a problem.  We converted a 1968 Dodge Dart with a slant 6 engine to run on hydrogen with some design and modifications to the existing carburetor on the car.  And our research and work was based on previous efforts, so it wasn’t anything groundbreaking, even way back in 1979.   The issue with hydrogen powered vehicles is that you can’t just go out and mine pure hydrogen anywhere here on earth.  It always exists bound up with some other atom or molecule, with water (H2O) being the common example we all know of.  It takes large amounts of energy to separate out the hydrogen, and it basically winds up being a break even equation.  Because of that, it’s best to think of hydrogen as a way to change or transport energy from one form to another, not really a “free” energy source, but it is a very clean combustion process.  The combustion byproduct on that old car was mostly just water vapor. 

E069D120-027E-4340-90EA-EC30F653AFA9.jpeg

Frank,

Very cool! A totally blast from the past “pun” intended? 😊

Thanks for sharing!

Patriot🇺🇸

IMG_2879.jpeg

3 minutes ago, Patriot said:

Frank,

Very cool! A totally blast from the past “pun” intended? 😊

Thanks for sharing!

Patriot🇺🇸

Thankfully, with the supervision of our engineering professors keeping an eye on our project from a safety standpoint, we avoided any “blasts”🙂.   

• Like 1

5 hours ago, John E Davies said:

And then there is the risky infrastructure of H2 storage and transport….

https://www.eenews.net/articles/lng-explosion-shines-light-on-42-year-old-gas-rules/

I read somewhere that a LNG tanker explosion hit by a terrorist missile could take out a city, and burn the skin off any person within a mile radius.

John Davies

Spokane WA

We have always been surrounded by those types of risks.  Texas City 1947 comes to mind.  One of the largest non-nuclear man made explosions in history.   And if you notice the location & date on my old hydrogen car newspaper article, that was just a few short months after the very close call at the Three Mile Island nuclear power plant just a few miles away from that Penn State campus.   Even gasoline has risks (get well soon Jay Leno).  Safety was one of the big arguments made for many years against moving to self service gas stations.  Having the untrained general public handle flammable liquid transfer into a car!!!!   I’m always surprised there aren’t a lot more incidents, fires, explosions at gas stations with people smoking, etc.  

• Like 7

1 hour ago, Frank C said:

I’m always surprised there aren’t a lot more incidents, fires, explosions at gas stations with people smoking, etc.  

Agree, we see very dangerous practices at gas stations.  When I top off the fuel tank of my airplane at an airport without fuel services provided, safety precautions must be taken to prevent fires & explosions. 

It will be interesting to see the development of hydrogen powered vehicles.

• Like 2

LE2

2 hours ago, rideandfly said:

Agree, we see very dangerous practices at gas stations.  When I top off the fuel tank of my airplane at an airport without fuel services provided, safety precautions must be taken to prevent fires & explosions. 

I agree, I was an A&P and thus did not have to fuel airplanes 😬 like the “ line boys” did. Have a BIG rolling fire extinguisher well back, connect the grounding cable between plane and tanker, touch the nozzle to a metal surface first. Pay attention! No chatting on your phone. Anything else besides NO smoking??

I never saw a fuel fire, but I did see an owner hand -prop an old Cherokee with the throttle wide open. He refused a jump start from a line boy. It bounced over the chocks, OVER the owner who was now flat on the ground, screamed across the ramp and rammed a brand new tied down Beech P-Baron near its left wing root. The Baron’s fuel tanks ruptured in a CLOUD of gasoline vapor. But it never lit off. The Cherokee owner was on his knees with his hands over his face saying “Oh shit oh shit oh shit….” I got to help put a new left wing assembly on it….. I never did hear who paid for it.

John Davies

Spokane WA

• Wow 3

3 hours ago, rideandfly said:

It will be interesting to see the development of hydrogen powered vehicles.

We are likely a really long way from seeing “greenie” hydrogen powered cars and trucks. We don’t even have an adequate modern electrical infrastructure for EVs.  That said, I agree Bill the Hydrogen R&D is interesting for sure.
In the mean time I will continue burning “Dinosaurs” aka fossil fuel. 😊

Patriot 🇺🇸

• Like 1
  • Wow 1

IMG_2879.jpeg

On 12/9/2022 at 1:21 AM, Patriot said:

I am not at all surprised to see Toyota R&D looking at developing hydrogen fueled cars and trucks. Nothing in-depth in this article but hydrogen fuel research looks promising. A hydrogen powered V8 would have my attention. Initially I like the idea….Varoom Varoom! 😊

https://www.foxnews.com/auto/toyota-hydrogen-powered-pickup-suv

I'm surprised.. I can't think of a less efficient and more dangerous way to fuel a passenger vehicle.

2010 Elite II, Hull #45.  2014 Toyota Sequoia Platinum 4WD 5.7 with tow package.

Yes hydrogen fuel cells combined with  next generation nuclear reactors is defiantly a step in the right direction. Iceland is very big on hydrogen powered vehicles do to the large amount of geothermal heat to make electricity making hydrogen production cheap. Elon musk announced his Hydrogen fuel cell powered car a few days ago. He also said that Tesla will be all Hydrogen by I think he said 2025.  

Bill & Nancy 

Holland MA
2022 Elite II  Hull #1265
2022 GMC Diesel Canyon

MDMANCTNsm.jpg

11 minutes ago, Bill and Nancy said:

Elon musk announced his Hydrogen fuel cell powered car a few days ago. He also said that Tesla will be all Hydrogen by I think he said 2025.  

Not doubting you since Musk will likely go wherever the federal money is thrown, but do you have a link to where he states this? Last I heard, he thought hydrogen cars were the "most dumb thing ever".

2010 Elite II, Hull #45.  2014 Toyota Sequoia Platinum 4WD 5.7 with tow package.

22 minutes ago, CRM said:

Not doubting you since Musk will likely go wherever the federal money is thrown, but do you have a link to where he states this? Last I heard, he thought hydrogen cars were the "most dumb thing ever".

Bill & Nancy 

Holland MA
2022 Elite II  Hull #1265
2022 GMC Diesel Canyon

MDMANCTNsm.jpg

16 hours ago, Bill and Nancy said:

Did a little research and the info in this video is completely fake. I guess they can get away with it due to the "about" description of their channel. At the very bottom it reads "Disclaimer: This is a fan channel made for fictive entertainment, and not affiliated with Mr. Musk, SpaceX, Tesla, Neuralink, The Boring Company, Neuralink, NASA, Blue Origin, etc."

With close to 900k followers they're probably making over 6 figures per year doing nothing other than spreading false information..