Mattress Alternative - Request for Measurements

Steve Morris

We just returned from The Original Mattress Factory store nearby, and have decided to have them make a pair of custom mattresses for us. We were going to order from KTT, but hesitant, as we've never slept on anything other than a coil spring mattress (except the thin foam one in our Hiker squaredrop trailer.)

TOMF has foam RV mattresses that they offer. Instead, we are having the same exact mattress made that we currently sleep on at home. It is a modified version of their twin orthopedic extra firm mattress, with support cylinders along the edge for couch duty. They are 10" thick, so a bit more than the 8" KTT and 7" Southern mattresses.

The only problem, is that they cannot create a curve on one corner to match the Oliver mattress. They can, however, create a 45° "chamfer" on one corner. All they need are dimensions for that angled portion. Now, I can simply do some math and calculate the straight line that connects the two ends of the mattresses 15" radius from the Oliver supplied dimensions. But I *think* I can cheat that a bit, and have a slightly smaller chamfer to fill in that gap.

And here's where I'm asking for help. Could someone with a twin bed layout mock up a chamfered corner from cardboard for me? The Oliver drawing shows the mattress as 29" wide, 74.5" long, with a 15" radius on one corner. What I'm envisioning, is somewhere between line A and line B on the attached sketch. Option A leaves a big gap in the corner, and I think option B would interfere with the wall too much. I'm after wherever best fits between, shown indeterminately as line C. I'm thinking it can be closer to line B than shown, but can only determine that with a physical mock up.

IMG_8463.jpeg.92096a0b665b646314192d0187ec0af6.jpeg

Also, are the mattresses really only 29" wide? The dimension I've seen most frequently are 30" X 75". I'd like to fill the fiberglass tray with as wide and long of a mattress that will fit, since I'm having a pair custom made.

If the mattress is really 29" wide, then the dimension of the top question mark in the drawing is 14", and the lower is about 20 1/4" I'm guessing best fit will be somewhere closer to 18-19"

1487443370_Screenshot2022-12-12at7_13_16PM.png.c5a74501e5e8aeeae689d6ad6bbeee7c.png

For reference, the KTT mattresses are currently at $750 each, plus shipping. Shipping to me in October was $304 for two, but someone recently had a shipping quote to the midwest closer to $500. so, around $1900 for the pair.

The Original Mattress Factory cost, including customization, will be $1018 for the pair.

If anyone would be willing to mock this up and see how it fits, I'd be eternally grateful. And bring you your choice of beverage to the rally (within reason. No Pappy Van Winkle request.) 😀

-----
Steve - Northern Ohio, USA
Wandering around on occasion, always lost.
2021 Toyota Land Cruiser - 2023 Oliver Elite II Twin Hull #1360 “Curiosity”
Facebook - Instagram

Camped in Curiosity = Green —— Visited with Curiosity = Gray

map.jpg

Maybe this helps clarify what I'm asking for. My overly complicated explanation above may have caused confusion (45 years in engineering makes it impossible for me to not be overcomplicated. 😉)

Grab a large piece of cardboard, and make marks 9, 10, 11, and 12 inches back from a corner. Connect these marks with parallel lines. Cut off the corner formed by the 9" markings and fit it into the corner of the Oliver's twin bed area. The points where you cut probably interfere with the sides of the the cardboard laying along the sides of the Oliver.

Cut back to the next pair of marks and try again. How's that fit? Probably by the time you get to the 12" pair of marks, it will fit fine, but leave a large gap in the corner. Somewhere between the 9" cut and the 12" cut was likely the best fit. That's what I'm after.

I'd also like the dimensions of the twin bed tray, from the wall to the inside of the lip, and from the end (back wall of the trailer) to the face of the cabinet. Conventional wisdom has these as 30" and 75". Oliver's drawing shows 29" and 74.5"

Thanks for any assistance offered.

IMG_8466.jpeg.6c98040febab1aae25997c1e31f23431.jpeg

-----
Facebook - Instagram

map.jpg

Steve - we are scheduled to pick up about 20 days before you guys and we ordered the standard cushions with the same plan in mind, go find something that we like later.  Maybe if you take your standard cushion to TOMF after you take delivery, they could get as close as possible and you could see what the gap would look like?

I am following this so we will know if this is an option for us. It sounds like a great plan.

Brian

• Like 3

• Moderators
5 hours ago, Steve and Deb said:

Maybe this helps clarify what I'm asking for. My overly complicated explanation above may have caused confusion (45 years in engineering makes it impossible for me to not be overcomplicated. 😉)

Probably,  possibly,  said she (I) who is the wife of an engineer. And was spitting liquids laughing, as she read your post. 

We spend much of our planning time sorting down from most complicated to simplest. I think it's part of the engineering and brilliance chromosome.... 

Years ago, I had a cartoon on my wall in my office. Tire swing requested by owner, then as designed  by engineer, etc. Something like this, but not quite. When we sold my building, the cartoon disappeared.  Wish I  still had it. 

40+ years as engineer assistant apprentice, still laughing and enjoying our life. 

Sorry for the thread drift. Not for nothing, but I've found that life works best when we can laugh at our own quirks and foibles.

Happy camping.

Screenshot_20221213-153551_Google.jpg

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 5

2008 Ram 1500 4 × 4

2008 Oliver Elite, Hull #12

Florida and Western North Carolina, or wherever the truck goes....

400 watts solar. DC compressor fridge. No inverter. 2 x 105 ah agm batteries .  Life is good.

• Moderators

Wish I could help but my Ollie is not stored at my home.

However, if you think it would do any good - I do have my curbside mattress here at home and can give you measurements of it.

Bill

2023 Ford F150 Lariat 3.5EB FX4 Max Towing, Max Payload, 2016 Oliver Elite II - Hull #117 "Twist"

• Moderators
57 minutes ago, topgun2 said:

However, if you think it would do any good - I do have my curbside mattress here at home and can give you measurements of it.

Put some paper or cardboard under your mattress, trace the curve and call it a day.

• Like 1

Texas Hill Country | 2016 Elite II #135 | 2020 Ram 2500 6.7L

ALAZARCACOFLGAIDILKSKYLAMDMSMOMTNENVNMNYNCNDOHOKSCSDTNTXUTVAWVWYsm.jpgALAZARCACOCTDEFLGAIDILINIAKSKYLAMEMDMAMS

We love our 6" topper over the stock Ollie mattress.  Got the 6" narrow twin and cut the 15" radius with a bread cutting knife.  Saved a TON of $$$$.

Very comfy for sure.

GJ

image.thumb.png.35376d48135aa37613af4b32ac351ebb.png

• Thanks 1
  • Like 1

TV:  2019 F-150 SuperCrew Lariat, 3.5L EcoBoost, Max Tow, FX-4, Rear Locker      OLLIE:  2018 OE2 Hull 342, Twin Bed.    OLLIE DYI’s:  BB LiFePO4's, Victron 712 Smart, 350 Amp Master Switch, Houghton 3400, Victron Orion DC - DC, 3000-Watt Renogy Inverter, P.D. 60-amp Converter, Frig Dual Exhaust Fans, Kitchen Drawer Straps.    TV DYI’s:  2 5/16" Anderson System, Timken Bearings, Nitto recon’s, Firestone Rear Air Bags, Bilstein 5100’s, Mud Flaps & Weather Tech all.

image.jpeg.9633acdfb75740f0fd358e1a5118f105.jpeg

3 hours ago, ChrisMI said:

This might help… did a quick sketch last year to order a mattress. 

Thank you! So, a bit larger than the stated 29x74.5 then. 👍

-----
Facebook - Instagram

map.jpg

12 hours ago, Geronimo John said:

We love our 6" topper over the stock Ollie mattress.

Thanks John, but we are going to go with the coil spring option from The Original Mattress Factory. I just need to figure the corner configuration. I appreciate the input, though.

• Like 1

-----
Facebook - Instagram

map.jpg

32 minutes ago, Brian and Brandelyne said:

@Steve and Deb did you see the attachment from my previous post?  I failed to properly address is to you.

Yes, thank you. I’d found that one earlier, which is different than what’s on Oliver’s dimensions page on Oliver University. 

I think I’m gonna see if I have some thin plywood and flex it into the shape of the corner radius of the trailer. Then try my own chamfered template to see what fits so I can order the mattresses. This would be a lot easier if The Original Mattress Factory could build them with a radius in the corner. 🤷‍♂️

Thanks for the input, everyone!

-----
Facebook - Instagram

map.jpg

• Moderators

Have a good time at the Mothership!

Take plenty of pics and say "Hi" to everyone for me.

Bill

p.s.  it looks like your weather should be very nice in Hohenwald too.

• Like 1

2023 Ford F150 Lariat 3.5EB FX4 Max Towing, Max Payload, 2016 Oliver Elite II - Hull #117 "Twist"

On 12/14/2022 at 12:55 PM, Brian and Brandelyne said:

We will be measuring and taking pictures.

I read somewhere in this forum that OTT no longer allows picture taking.  If true, IMHO that's a sad commentary.  If true, we all could download our 843 that we took on our tours.  🙂  

TV:  2019 F-150 SuperCrew Lariat, 3.5L EcoBoost, Max Tow, FX-4, Rear Locker      OLLIE:  2018 OE2 Hull 342, Twin Bed.    OLLIE DYI’s:  BB LiFePO4's, Victron 712 Smart, 350 Amp Master Switch, Houghton 3400, Victron Orion DC - DC, 3000-Watt Renogy Inverter, P.D. 60-amp Converter, Frig Dual Exhaust Fans, Kitchen Drawer Straps.    TV DYI’s:  2 5/16" Anderson System, Timken Bearings, Nitto recon’s, Firestone Rear Air Bags, Bilstein 5100’s, Mud Flaps & Weather Tech all.

image.jpeg.9633acdfb75740f0fd358e1a5118f105.jpeg

11 hours ago, Geronimo John said:

I read somewhere in this forum that OTT no longer allows picture taking

That is correct for the factory tour. When we were there August 12, I started taking photos during the tour. Anita immediately stopped me, and told me that just the day before, a memo was circulated that no more photos were permitted on the factory floor. This was disappointing, as just the previous week, another member was on tour with Phil, and was encouraged to take all of the detail photos they wanted...

-----
Facebook - Instagram

map.jpg

You may not want to push your new custom mattress dimensions to the absolute maximum.   If you’re ordering the optional hypervent mat from Oliver for ventilation under the mattresses to prevent condensation & mildew, there are also sections of the hypervent mat that go between the outer sides of the mattress and the fiberglass wall of the trailer.   You have to leave some room for those sections of the hypervent mat, ~1”.    That’s why the mattress dimensions Oliver shows are slightly smaller than the absolute max space available.  

• Like 7

1 hour ago, Frank C said:

there are also sections of the hypervent mat that go between the outer sides of the mattress and the fiberglass wall of the trailer.

Ah! I didn't know that. The trailer that we saw prior to our factory visit had hypervent, but I didn't see anything between the mattress and the wall. The showroom model did not have hypervent. Good to know!

Thank you

-----
Facebook - Instagram

map.jpg

10 minutes ago, Steve and Deb said:

Ah! I didn't know that. The trailer that we saw prior to our factory visit had hypervent, but I didn't see anything between the mattress and the wall. The showroom model did not have hypervent. Good to know!

Thank you

Here’s a pic of the hypervent pieces around the outside of the mattress.  I pulled them up for the photo. Normally they tuck fully behind the mattress and are not visible.  

625C16F2-83EF-42DC-8501-D02750F00478.jpeg

• Thanks 1
  • Like 1

14 hours ago, Geronimo John said:

I read somewhere in this forum that OTT no longer allows picture taking.

That is true on the plant tour but not the showroom. I don’t disagree with the policy. Not everyone wants to be posted all over the internet just because they were doing their job. Also, corporate espionage is a real thing. Proprietary techniques and processes should be kept private. 
We spent over an hour in the LE II outside, the showroom was empty due to the company Christmas party, we tried out the Truma furnace and ran many other systems completely unplugged. The Truma did not disappoint. We got all the measurements and pictures we wanted from a true 2023 model. 

Brian

• Like 3

3 hours ago, Frank C said:

Here’s a pic of the hypervent pieces around the outside of the mattress.

Thank you!

• Like 1

-----
Facebook - Instagram

map.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Well, just when I thought we had things figured out with the radius in the corner, I find that I don't. Took the template into The Original Mattress Factory and talked with the manager about ordering a pair of custom twins. One thing I didn't take into account with all my fancy engineering layout, is that there needs to be a whole number of coils. Well, of course there does, dummy, but my layout doesn't fit that model. I'm not sure I want to lose almost 3" along that angled edge shown above...

Time to rethink.

Could someone with a twin layout please measure the distance from the floor to the platform where the mattress lays? Before I go too far, I want to see how high a 10" mattress is going to be from the floor. I've seen the Hypervent, but never measured it. Is it about 3/4" thick?

Thank you!

-----
Facebook - Instagram

map.jpg

On 12/29/2022 at 4:45 PM, Steve and Deb said:

Could someone with a twin layout please measure the distance from the floor to the platform where the mattress lays?

Anyone have their trailer available to check for me? Thanks!

-----
Facebook - Instagram

map.jpg